Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Rain is a annoyingly OP annoyingly central character.

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

Fjolsvinnr

Fjolsvinnr

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 10 posts

However, let me reiterate one thing. I am actually a fan of OP characters. I mean, I really like Inaho from Aldnoah.Zero, for example, who essentially destroys superpowered enemies like they are nothing. And I most definitely dislike training arcs, or "I must get stronger"-driven series.

But I want to be surprised. I don't want to read something and be unimpressed by whatever the MC does. I want to be kept in suspense as to what they are going to do to solve a situation, and am even happier when they get real, tangible help from allies. But Rain... even if I couldn't foretell his every move, nothing he did was outside the range of what is ordinary for him. Sometimes he would win just because the enemy was powerless against him, not because he had to do something about it.

Take Shin'ichi Akiyama. The quintessential intellectual hero. His IQ must be double or triple of all the other characters' combined, and he pulls no punches in crushing his opponents, but even though I know he is going to win, I want to know how.

Because, frankly, I don't dream of being anything like a manga hero. I like to think of the characters as entities, or humans, facing situations and then I'll ask myself, "what would I do in that situation?" If the situation is predictable and I can understand all the forces in motion, then I have no interest. And that's the problem with Rain's superlativeness: it flattens everything out, we have full view of what is coming.

If it doesn't tickle my brain, it's just boring.

Fjoslvinnr presents a false dichotomy: the world is not divided between Rain-like characters and angsty, conflicted, spineless heroes. There's a lot in the middle. Take Ryuuzaki Ikuo from Ouroboros, for example: he is insanely strong and incredibly sharp, and ruthless as ruthless can be, and his life is driven by a vendetta, but he can be outwitted by opponents, and is in genuine danger at certain times. He never hesitates to pull the trigger, and has no qualms afterwards, but what I like is that I don't know what is coming.

If you people like Rain because of his sheer, plain, predictable, unalloyed invincibility, fine by me, but saying that the alternative out there are necessarily agonising sops who regret their every move and always doubt their decisions is simply false. And frankly, aspiring at the kind of "ideal" Rain represents, devoid of weaknesses (and the humanity that is defined by these very weaknesses), is... well, odd, but maybe I am the odd one.

That must be why I hardly ever order vanilla. :-)

Not a huge fan of the purely intellectual OP. While their schemes can be engaging and interesting, I don't like suspending the disbelief that they can't simply be thwarted with a bullet to the brain. Sure, they might ward off some level of danger with leverage or other innovative ways to protect themselves, but far too many times, it just boils down to good fortune or the irrational unwillingness of opponents to pull the trigger when they have the chance.

And it's not like they don't fall into the agonizing trap. I mean, when Akiyama is accused of being no different from the other ruthless players or from the organization persiding over the games, he was laughably rattled by it. As if such a shallow observation would have escaped someone as smart as him and it took a third party pointing it out for him to "realize" his hypocrisy. And then of course, he has to be "comforted" by an even shallower observation by Nao.

Nor am I a fan of Ryuuzaki Ikuo and Danno Tatsuya because of their revenge "baggage". I'm not big into baggage, as you're aware by now. I don't like Rain's baggage either, but as you said, it's practically an afterthought so I can live with it.

Are those characters as preoccupied or paralyzed by their doubts and sabotaged by their traumas as most others? Of course not. I'm not saying they don't have redeemable qualities, especially in execution toward their goal.

But I'm the type that likes no fuss Westerns. Cowboy rides into town and whimsically shoots up everyone who deserves to be shot because he draws his gun faster than anybody. You almost never find out anything about his past because his past just doesn't matter. He's not hung up on anything. Personally, those with a little charm and personality are better than the silent stoic types, but the essentials are there in either case.

There just aren't enough of those in Japanese media. You say I present a false dichotomy, but let's be fair. There isn't really a lot in the middle. My end of the spectrum is even rarer. How many Rains are there? How many Ikuo's and Akiyama's are there? Between the type of characters I like and the characters you like, I don't think we make up 1% of the material out there. The other 99% belongs to the unbearably angsty category I railed against.

So when I direct my attacks, I'm directing them at the general "other". Obviously, there are degrees, and the closer they are to Rain in my book (and even closer to my ideal beyond him), the more I like the character.

You're welcome to think I'm odd. I also think it's odd when people enjoy reading characters riddled with human weaknesses.

kendama

kendama

Russet Potato

• Contributor
  • 332 posts

Not a huge fan of the purely intellectual OP. While their schemes can be engaging and interesting, I don't like suspending the disbelief that they can't simply be thwarted with a bullet to the brain. Sure, they might ward off some level of danger with leverage or other innovative ways to protect themselves, but far too many times, it just boils down to good fortune or the irrational unwillingness of opponents to pull the trigger when they have the chance.

And it's not like they don't fall into the agonizing trap. I mean, when Akiyama is accused of being no different from the other ruthless players or from the organization persiding over the games, he was laughably rattled by it. As if such a shallow observation would have escaped someone as smart as him and it took a third party pointing it out for him to "realize" his hypocrisy. And then of course, he has to be "comforted" by an even shallower observation by Nao.

Nor am I a fan of Ryuuzaki Ikuo and Danno Tatsuya because of their revenge "baggage". I'm not big into baggage, as you're aware by now. I don't like Rain's baggage either, but as you said, it's practically an afterthought so I can live with it.

Are those characters as preoccupied or paralyzed by their doubts and sabotaged by their traumas as most others? Of course not. I'm not saying they don't have redeemable qualities, especially in execution toward their goal.

But I'm the type that likes no fuss Westerns. Cowboy rides into town and whimsically shoots up everyone who deserves to be shot because he draws his gun faster than anybody. You almost never find out anything about his past because his past just doesn't matter. He's not hung up on anything. Personally, those with a little charm and personality are better than the silent stoic types, but the essentials are there in either case.

There just aren't enough of those in Japanese media. You say I present a false dichotomy, but let's be fair. There isn't really a lot in the middle. My end of the spectrum is even rarer. How many Rains are there? How many Ikuo's and Akiyama's are there? Between the type of characters I like and the characters you like, I don't think we make up 1% of the material out there. The other 99% belongs to the unbearably angsty category I railed against.

So when I direct my attacks, I'm directing them at the general "other". Obviously, there are degrees, and the closer they are to Rain in my book (and even closer to my ideal beyond him), the more I like the character.

You're welcome to think I'm odd. I also think it's odd when people enjoy reading characters riddled with human weaknesses.

In other words, you are admitting this is just a matter of taste, and that the other people are not wrong for disliking the lack of human weaknesses in Rain, or for finding it uninteresting.

Fair enough, that's what I said in my second post to this thread. I hate Westerns because frankly, I don't like B&W worlds, since they bear no resemblance to my world. The exception, of course, being Eastwood's absolute masterpiece, Unforgiven, where the MC is essentially as dirty, flawed and nihilistic as the "villains".

And sincerely, I don't know about percentages, but in my book, one character as Rain is one character too many.

NoboriRyu

NoboriRyu

Potato

• Members
  • 116 posts
  • LocationGermany

in the end who even cares?

daveisdavis

daveisdavis

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 2 posts

Damn I don't like spicy food so I don't eat it - you guys should do the same.

Snibbidisnap

Snibbidisnap

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 6 posts

in the end who even cares?

Damn I don't like spicy food so I don't eat it - you guys should do the same.

Because stories aren't food, and even with food, people enjoy discussing what it is that makes them like or dislike something. An argument, even one you disagree with, can be interesting or informative - as several long arguments posted in this thread have been for me. Hell, if it's convincing enough, it could even change your opinion! (Heh, how many times has that happened?)

cookieness

cookieness

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 21 posts

Because stories aren't food, and even with food, people enjoy discussing what it is that makes them like or dislike something. An argument, even one you disagree with, can be interesting or informative - as several long arguments posted in this thread have been for me. Hell, if it's convincing enough, it could even change your opinion! (Heh, how many times has that happened?)

sadly, nothing is convincing enough to close minded people. they don't comment here hoping for their views to be challenged. they come here to make everyone view the world the same way they do. it's quite sad. i'd understand it if it was just comments about how they like the story. but the haters? i mean dude, if you don't like it just move on. you didn't pay for it. you clicked the link knowing your time might be wasted due to your taste. no need to proclaim to the people who like the story your view of how shitty the story they like is.

kendama

kendama

Russet Potato

• Contributor
  • 332 posts

sadly, nothing is convincing enough to close minded people. they don't comment here hoping for their views to be challenged. they come here to make everyone view the world the same way they do. it's quite sad. i'd understand it if it was just comments about how they like the story. but the haters? i mean dude, if you don't like it just move on. you didn't pay for it. you clicked the link knowing your time might be wasted due to your taste. no need to proclaim to the people who like the story your view of how shitty the story they like is.

I am one of the haters and can tell you that I had quite the enjoyable discussion here. Found like-minded people, traded interesting insights with others. My views were challenged by more than one person and I liked that, too. By the way, this is the most visited Rain subforum here at Batoto.

How people like to spend their free time is their private decision alone. It's not a waste if you enjoy it.

And I don't think I need to remind you that this is not the comment section. It's a forum, and the title is very clear. If you enter it, you know what you are going to find: Rain haters. So what brought you here in the first place? Perhaps… just as you assume haters get their kicks off their vitriol, you get yours from badmouthing them, too? Pot calling kettle, maybe?

You assumed only close-minded people write about their dislike of something. It possibly reflects your own world view.

cookieness

cookieness

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 21 posts

I am one of the haters and can tell you that I had quite the enjoyable discussion here. Found like-minded people, traded interesting insights with others. My views were challenged by more than one person and I liked that, too. By the way, this is the most visited Rain subforum here at Batoto.

How people like to spend their free time is their private decision alone. It's not a waste if you enjoy it.

And I don't think I need to remind you that this is not the comment section. It's a forum, and the title is very clear. If you enter it, you know what you are going to find: Rain haters. So what brought you here in the first place? Perhaps… just as you assume haters get their kicks off their vitriol, you get yours from badmouthing them, too? Pot calling kettle, maybe?

You assumed only close-minded people write about their dislike of something. It possibly reflects your own world view.

i replied here because the thread was created in response to one of my comments. liking something is normal. discussing something you like with others is normal too. hating something is normal aswell. hating something and preaching, trying to justify why something should be hated isn't normal. it's like you can't stand the fact that people like the story. we understand. you hate it. why try and justify why others should hate it aswell? i see. delicate bubble huh? i understand.

kendama

kendama

Russet Potato

• Contributor
  • 332 posts

i replied here because the thread was created in response to one of my comments. liking something is normal. discussing something you like with others is normal too. hating something is normal aswell. hating something and preaching, trying to justify why something should be hated isn't normal. it's like you can't stand the fact that people like the story. we understand. you hate it. why try and justify why others should hate it aswell? i see. delicate bubble huh? i understand.

Nonsense. Just as people like to find like-minded people for positive appreciation of something, people who dislike said thing also like to find people who think like them. And "justifying why it should be hated" is the obverse of "justifying why it should be liked". Both are nonsense, too: you don't justify your feelings. You feel them, and that's it. I don't think for one second I am going to convince anyone.

You are trying to construe this as preaching and making a poor job of it. We are saying what we don't like about Rain, why we don't like it, and I don't recall a single time criticising the people who like Rain themselves. At most, I attacked bietchie10 when he attacked my personal taste. I never told Fjolsvinnr (the most active Rain admirer in this thread) why he ought to hate Rain, I said why I did, and both of us agreed that in the end, it was a matter of taste. I may have a trouble understanding the taste of other people, but I am sure they have one understanding mine: Fjolsvinnr said as much, actually. And I am totally okay with that, because, well, I repeat myself: taste is not something you justify, you simply feel it. Which doesn't imply I cannot have fun discussing why I hate Rain in a forum for Rain haters.

If you feel badmouthing Rain annoys you because you see it as a message that your taste is flawed and you should change, then you have paranoid tendencies: go see an analyst.

cookieness

cookieness

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 21 posts

Nonsense. Just as people like to find like-minded people for positive appreciation of something, people who dislike said thing also like to find people who think like them. And "justifying why it should be hated" is the obverse of "justifying why it should be liked". Both are nonsense, too: you don't justify your feelings. You feel them, and that's it. I don't think for one second I am going to convince anyone.

You are trying to construe this as preaching and making a poor job of it. We are saying what we don't like about Rain, why we don't like it, and I don't recall a single time criticising the people who like Rain themselves. At most, I attacked bietchie10 when he attacked my personal taste. I never told Fjolsvinnr (the most active Rain admirer in this thread) why he ought to hate Rain, I said why I did, and both of us agreed that in the end, it was a matter of taste. I may have a trouble understanding the taste of other people, but I am sure they have one understanding mine: Fjolsvinnr said as much, actually. And I am totally okay with that, because, well, I repeat myself: taste is not something you justify, you simply feel it. Which doesn't imply I cannot have fun discussing why I hate Rain in a forum for Rain haters.

If you feel badmouthing Rain annoys you because you see it as a message that your taste is flawed and you should change, then you have paranoid tendencies: go see an analyst.

you don't think youre gonna convince anyone but it still didn't stop you from trying. ofcourse youre gonna say youre not trying when someone called you out on it. then you're gonna sidestep into just 'discussing it with fellow haters.' i guess i really cant understand what haters think. i mean come on. when you like something, you discuss it because you like it. when you hate something, since discussing why you hate it won't even change anything about the material, the most logical step is to move on and try to find something you actually like. 

kendama

kendama

Russet Potato

• Contributor
  • 332 posts

you don't think youre gonna convince anyone but it still didn't stop you from trying. ofcourse youre gonna say youre not trying when someone called you out on it. then you're gonna sidestep into just 'discussing it with fellow haters.' i guess i really cant understand what haters think. i mean come on. when you like something, you discuss it because you like it. when you hate something, since discussing why you hate it won't even change anything about the material, the most logical step is to move on and try to find something you actually like. 

… so this all reduces to your failure to understand why people do things you consider illogical, or to accept that they simply do. And to slapping onto their behaviour the explanation that satisfies your preconceived notions.

Girl, your life is gonna be tough. I was thinking you were vaguely amusing, but now I am beginning to feel sorry for you.

(Let me mindfuck you a little more: right now, I am translating not one, but two series I hate: Suicide island and Destroy and revolution. You can see my scripts for the former, and chapters for the latter, here at Batoto. I have some reasons to do the latter, but the former I do just for the hell of it. This means I am devoting part of my free time - much more than I will ever spend on a thread like this - on series I have no fondness for. And you know what? I have considered translating a few Rain chapters out of pure spite. I could do the whole of volume 11 in a few weeks if I put my heart into it. So, how do you explain that? Not that I care, I'm sure you will find an explanation that will satisfy yourself. Whether you will be able to really account for what happens in my mind - or anyone else's - I know the answer to that already.

Grow up. People do much crazier things and you have no business judging them for that so long as they are not harming anyone else. Just avoid this forum if it irks you.)

Edited by kendama, 30 December 2015 - 08:32 PM.

cookieness

cookieness

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 21 posts

… so this all reduces to your failure to understand why people do things you consider illogical, or to accept that they simply do. And to slapping onto their behaviour the explanation that satisfies your preconceived notions.

Girl, your life is gonna be tough. I was thinking you were vaguely amusing, but now I am beginning to feel sorry for you.

(Let me mindfuck you a little more: right now, I am translating not one, but two series I hate: Suicide island and Destroy and revolution. You can see my scripts for the former, and chapters for the latter, here at Batoto. I have some reasons to do the latter, but the former I do just for the hell of it. This means I am devoting part of my free time - much more than I will ever spend on a thread like this - on series I have no fondness for. And you know what? I have considered translating a few Rain chapters out of pure spite. I could do the whole of volume 11 in a few weeks if I put my heart into it. So, how do you explain that? Not that I care, I'm sure you will find an explanation that will satisfy yourself. Whether you will be able to really account for what happens in my mind - or anyone else's - I know the answer to that already.

Grow up. People do much crazier things and you have no business judging them for that so long as they are not harming anyone else. Just avoid this forum if it irks you.)

'grow up' says the guy who rants about how overpowered a manga character is and argues with anyone who has a different opinion. how very mature of you. you were fairly amusing too. how desperate you were in posting wall after wall of text to justify why other people should also hate the story just because you hate the MC. how you try to convince others that you just want to interact with other fellow rain haters but almost all your replies are towards the people who like rain, trying to prove them wrong and when you can't change them, you settle with 'well in the end it's about differing tastes.'

oh and by the way, it's ok. the series you mentioned will get translated with or without you. simply because theyre interesting. 

kendama

kendama

Russet Potato

• Contributor
  • 332 posts

'grow up' says the guy who rants about how overpowered a manga character is and argues with anyone who has a different opinion. how very mature of you. you were fairly amusing too. how desperate you were in posting wall after wall of text to justify why other people should also hate the story just because you hate the MC. how you try to convince others that you just want to interact with other fellow rain haters but almost all your replies are towards the people who like rain, trying to prove them wrong and when you can't change them, you settle with 'well in the end it's about differing tastes.'

oh and by the way, it's ok. the series you mentioned will get translated with or without you. simply because theyre interesting. 

Pfff… now you are getting delusional. You keep trying to convince yourself that there is no difference between expressing one's opinion and attacking other people's tastes.

And I reply to people who like Rain because they chose to come to this thread. I would have stopped in my first post (agreeing with truepurple) if no one had engaged us in conversation. That's why this is called "discussion": we disagree, while respecting each other's taste. You may want to look the word up. People who agree don't tend to discuss for very long, you know.

And I don't settle by anything, I write that every now and then to remind people that discussing a character doesn't imply changing one's tastes. I haven't told anyone - unlike you - that they should behave differently from what they are doing. You are judging our behaviour.

If I had written abuse of Rain in the comment section, that would be uncool. That's a place for shared enjoyment of the series. But here? The title says it's a place to people who dislike Rain. If no one came to bait truepurple, me and a couple others who posted originally, the thread would have died. If some did, it's because they wanted to. And you have no business telling people what they should do in their spare time. Feel free to make a fool of yourself by calling people close-minded because they like to pour abuse in a character. You seem to get your kicks out of it, as I have pointed out. I get some abusing the protagonist, so I guess it's just another weird taste. Live with it.

And the example of the series I translate wasn't intended to say I am rendering people a service. Frankly, I don't care whether people enjoy those series or not. I have been a scanlator for long enough to know that nobody is indispensable: if I don't do the series, someone else eventually will. I merely wanted to let you know that people's actions don't always conform to what your tunnel vision of life considers "logical". But since you seem to have some problem interpreting what you read, I am not surprised that the point was lost on you.

(Although you research is poor… Destroy and revolution stalled for eight months before I picked it up. Suicide island stalled for one year. You don't seem to have had any experience with scanlation, so I'll let you know that "interest" is a relative concept.)

cookieness

cookieness

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 21 posts

Pfff… now you are getting delusional. You keep trying to convince yourself that there is no difference between expressing one's opinion and attacking other people's tastes.

And I reply to people who like Rain because they chose to come to this thread. I would have stopped in my first post (agreeing with truepurple) if no one had engaged us in conversation. That's why this is called "discussion": we disagree, while respecting each other's taste. You may want to look the word up. People who agree don't tend to discuss for very long, you know.

And I don't settle by anything, I write that every now and then to remind people that discussing a character doesn't imply changing one's tastes. I haven't told anyone - unlike you - that they should behave differently from what they are doing. You are judging our behaviour.

If I had written abuse of Rain in the comment section, that would be uncool. That's a place for shared enjoyment of the series. But here? The title says it's a place to people who dislike Rain. If no one came to bait truepurple, me and a couple others who posted originally, the thread would have died. If some did, it's because they wanted to. And you have no business telling people what they should do in their spare time. Feel free to make a fool of yourself by calling people close-minded because they like to pour abuse in a character. You seem to get your kicks out of it, as I have pointed out. I get some abusing the protagonist, so I guess it's just another weird taste. Live with it.

And the example of the series I translate wasn't intended to say I am rendering people a service. Frankly, I don't care whether people enjoy those series or not. I have been a scanlator for long enough to know that nobody is indispensable: if I don't do the series, someone else eventually will. I merely wanted to let you know that people's actions don't always conform to what your tunnel vision of life considers "logical". But since you seem to have some problem interpreting what you read, I am not surprised that the point was lost on you.

(Although you research is poor… Destroy and revolution stalled for eight months before I picked it up. Suicide island stalled for one year. You don't seem to have had any experience with scanlation, so I'll let you know that "interest" is a relative concept.)

oh another wall. for someone who just wants to discuss, youre preaching quite alot. more about being a translator. now youre a savior who revived a couple of series that was not updated in a long time. how inflated is your sense of self worth? and i'm delusional? even going through with the 'this is our special place so even if youre making sense, since it's not a thread about your view i'm still right' route? wow. i guess someone really needs to grow up. guess who? 

by the way, i stopped reading the body of your work. since your posts usually start with an insult, then trying to preach, then end with another insult, let's skip the preaching part mkay?

kendama

kendama

Russet Potato

• Contributor
  • 332 posts

oh another wall. for someone who just wants to discuss, youre preaching quite alot. more about being a translator. now youre a savior who revived a couple of series that was not updated in a long time. how inflated is your sense of self worth? and i'm delusional? even going through with the 'this is our special place so even if youre making sense, since it's not a thread about your view i'm still right' route? wow. i guess someone really needs to grow up. guess who? 

by the way, i stopped reading the body of your work. since your posts usually start with an insult, then trying to preach, then end with another insult, let's skip the preaching part mkay?

Insulting? Who is the one who started by deriding our (the haters) behaviour in writing here? Hint: you. You are the one who described people here as close-minded haters, remember?

So of course, I feel entitled not to show you any due deference. After all, any arguments I pose are described as preaching and walls of text, aren't they? "Described" is kindness, because these are really non-descriptors. You ceased to discuss the merit of our arguments a long while ago, so, as I said, you are the one making a fool of yourself.

As for my sense of self-worth… tell me about projection. I never said I saved anything. I pointed that out only to drive my point home (sadly, the "home" in this case is quite barren) that people don't have to conform to your views of the world. There's nothing intrinsically wrong with having fun abusing a series or a character in a secluded, clearly labelled thread. People do stranger things: if no one is being harmed, why should this be a problem? I gave my example of translating series I hate because it is familiar and can be easily confirmed, but I could have given others: people who typeset shoujo despite hating it; people who make a point of starting a thread on a subject they dislike (like our original poster, truepurple); people who pour vitriol continuously and attach labels to others (like, well, you). Who are you to judge our actions? I say, if you have something to say on the matter of the thread, by all means do it. Otherwise, stay away. Of course, you're free to heed it or not, on peril of… well, no peril, I can't see how you could debase yourself further.

Well, maybe something is being harmed, after all… your tunnel-vision mindset, that is.

Edited by kendama, 13 March 2016 - 03:57 PM.

cookieness

cookieness

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 21 posts

nice necro bruh.

Edited by cookieness, 14 March 2016 - 10:40 AM.

defry

defry

Potato

• Members
  • 153 posts

You guys are weird, you said it is ok if they are OP for the humor or if they have a rival and so on... yet Rain has a rival that is so OP that could conquer the world in one go, nearly did if not for Rain's strategy and the help of his friends, subordinates and so on.

You just don't like the guy, don't give complex reasons when you just don't like his personality. Rain has a rival, is op for the humor, he even takes risks to get more powerful

Spoiler
Rain is not as OP as you make him out to be more but rather he is more of a strategist in battle and war, that's what makes the difference. There were times where he struggled but won because he was clever and perceptive. He is OP like plenty of characters, setting wise and power wise... the only difference is his personality.

The personality is the issue with most and either you admit it or not. I like his boasting, even though he himself has the least confidence in himself and ability to protect... that was shown plenty of times, he has his own struggles. The only reason he is so confident is to put a brave front and as a strategy.

leena_jung

leena_jung

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 17 posts

Rain has a rival, is op for the humor, he even takes risks to get more powerful

Spoiler
Rain is not as OP as you make him out to be more but rather he is more of a strategist in battle and war, that's what makes the difference. There were times where he struggled but won because he was clever and perceptive. He is OP like plenty of characters, setting wise and power wise... the only difference is his personality.

The personality is the issue with most and either you admit it or not. I like his boasting, even though he himself has the least confidence in himself and ability to protect... that was shown plenty of times, he has his own struggles. The only reason he is so confident is to put a brave front and as a strategy.

^this, a hundred times this LOL

(that being said, it's cool to dislike a character for their personality. I too can't read some manga/manwha because of the MC's personality, I mean, it's the main character, if I don't like him/her then reading the whole thing will surely be kind of a pain in the arse lol).

Just.... please, don't quarrel oook? No need to get angry over our respective tastes. 

But seriously guysssss how can you not like Rain?! xD (rhetorical question, I know you have your reasons eheh). 

Edited by leena_jung, 24 March 2016 - 11:47 PM.

RavenWing

RavenWing

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 3 posts

I enjoy it.  B)  B)  B)  B)  B)

truepurple

truepurple

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,461 posts

Been so long since I even read Rain, yet for some reason never took it off my list. There is one point about what I was saying I would like to clarify.

My issue was not "douchey", not even clear on the meaning of that insult. It's how many actors are in the story, really and truly in the story. Imagine a play where one actor plays all the major parts, changing costumes and everything. All side characters mostly only talk about one of the characters that this one actor plays. This is how I felt when I read Rain. Like alot of arrows just pointing to "Rain" with lots of fancy glossiness and embellishment on the word. The second most important character aside from Rain in the series, on Rains side, is the princess, and she's got a super crush on Rain, and would have been long destroyed without Rain. And Rain himself has a crush on himself. Hard to get more Raincentric than that.

Edited by truepurple, 19 January 2017 - 01:05 AM.