Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

New status: Locked

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

Cake-kun

Cake-kun

Potato

• Contributor
  • 160 posts
  • LocationNot on your plate, hopefully

I been thinking.

lot of manga has "open" status, even though it is locked, and will never get on here any time soon. But when you search them, they still show up as "ongoing" which I heavily feel as misleading.

I think having new status icon for this would be best. Maybe red closed book? I think it will also be easier versus having comic synopsis cluttered with **LOCKED DO NO UPLOAD** messages.

or that's my opinion. I'm also aware I may not be the first to request this.

keik

keik

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 31 posts

Or just add stroke to the name:

•  Generic Yaoi Manga with excessive penises in action 5/5

Generic Touhou slapstick doujin manga 5/5
Not funny (and generic!) shonen 5/5
Smart. light read ecchi with some fanservice 2/5
Yet another Yaoi male dongs flying in the sky 5/5
K-On 5\5
Manga about yellow-haired boy with super powers, excessive fanservice and toilet humor 5/5
Seinen 1.4/5

...or something like this.

Gendalph

Gendalph

Fried Potato

• Contrib Mods
  • 576 posts
  • Locationbeyond the Veil
sup
I'd also like to have ability to filter out locked comics (from search).
Implementation is up to Grumpy.

Viscoun

Viscoun

Couch Potato

• VisTrans
  • 2,095 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

K-On 5\5
Manga about yellow-haired boy with super powers, excessive fanservice and toilet humor 5/5
Seinen 1.4/5

lol'd

essentially the entirety of the catalog around here.

anyway, it's a pretty good idea. we can have a simple, nice "locked" status for locked series, instead of massive, flashy mod warnings separated by unnecessary rows of equal signs upon equal signs. the mods can put in the reason in brackets in the description if they want to (although they mostly don't).

maffa

maffa

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 209 posts
  • Locationitaly

if the information would also be locked this would avoid trolls changing alt names and pics for the sake of it.

Seraphic Mist

Seraphic Mist

Russet Potato

• Retired Mods
  • 486 posts
  • LocationOtaku World

Locked Status sounds good, it would be a great complement to the "No Chapters" Genre. That way, people could filter out "No Chapter" and "Locked" comics while searching for Comics to read. I'd love to see that status.

OchaMeido❣

OchaMeido❣

The Head Maid

• Contrib Mods
  • 1,728 posts
  • Location@ the Greenhouse Tea Party~

Everyone can just use fliter out "No Chapter" in advance search.

Usually those "No chapter" are locked.

Beside, I dont think adding "locked" status will be wise. 

Even though we locked something, it can be of other causes. 

ןן Tea Party~ ןן "THE BAR" ןן

ןןGuide to Uploading/deltin/sortin ןן

ןן[Must read] COMMENT SECTIONS RULES ן

Follow the comment sections' rules or else, you will be hanging at the edge of an cliff ^^
It maybe one step closer to death's door or an extension of your life's time.

Cake-kun

Cake-kun

Potato

• Contributor
  • 160 posts

Well I don't use filter, that's primarily why this will help others. I'm sure most does not.

Chocolate Chip

Chocolate Chip

Fried Potato

• Contributor
  • 628 posts

But no matter what the reason it's locked is, it's still locked. I don't see a downside to adding a locked status.

Daktyl

Daktyl

Discord King

• Contrib Mods
  • 825 posts
  • LocationMI, USA

The red closed book idea is awesome, but adding a "Locked" status would be good. The only problem with adding it as a status is that you can only search FOR statuses, you can't EXCLUDE statuses (i.e, you can search for Ongoing, Complete, or Locked, but not 2 of the 3 at the same time... at least currently)

K-On 5\5
Seinen 1.4/5

Offtopic here:
I get that you (and apparently 90% of the posters on this site) don't like yaoi, but I don't see the point of slamming it _constantly_ on these type of suggestion threads.
Also, almost every yaoi I've seen has been smut without actual nudity. In fact, I've seen more boobs and female genitalia on those "Smart. light read ecchi with some fanservice" than on any yaoi I've read here.

My words are my own, and do not represent Batoto in any way, shape, or form unless otherwise stated in the post itself ^.^

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts
  • Locationunderground like a wild potato

You know, just using Naizumi's suggestion of simply using the "no chapter" tag in the advanced search (and yes, I realize the OP is actually talking about a "status" thus having some new/different icon thingy either/or/along with a "tag")..........I mean, Naizumi's right, "no chapter" is gonna be "locked", or even more likely there'll be additional titles that have no chapters and aren't locked. Well, out of curiosity, I produced a list of all the "no chapter" titles on the site.........around forty total titles we're talking about here. Total.

Is any of this really worth the bother over what can't even amount to a tiny fraction of a percent of titles here? I mean, seriously, just how often is this actually coming up to be an issue worthy of worrying about it?

Tn7HA0h.png

Chocolate Chip

Chocolate Chip

Fried Potato

• Contributor
  • 628 posts

Looking at the 40 titles with the "no chapter" tag, 9 of those are actually locked, and 31 are not locked. (And at least 3 of those 31 actually do have chapters.) So the argument that the "no chapter" tag = locked could not be farther from the truth.

Is any of this really worth the bother over what can't even amount to a tiny fraction of a percent of titles here? I mean, seriously, just how often is this actually coming up to be an issue worthy of worrying about it?

The number of locked titles with the "no chapters" tag represents only a fraction of the actual number of locked titles on the site, so you can't go by that. Personally, I'm in favor of any option that gets rid of the

======================================================STAFF NOTICE===============================================================

======================================================================================================================================

eyesore.

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts

Looking at the 40 titles with the "no chapter" tag, 9 of those are actually locked, and 31 are not locked. (And at least 3 of those 31 actually do have chapters.) So the argument that the "no chapter" tag = locked could not be farther from the truth.

The number of locked titles with the "no chapters" tag represents only a fraction of the actual number of locked titles on the site, so you can't go by that. Personally, I'm in favor of any option that gets rid of the

======================================================STAFF NOTICE===============================================================

======================================================================================================================================

eyesore.

Well, I'll just say that part of the problem with the "no chapters" tag is that, go figure, nobody's bothered to actually go through the library putting it on the titles themselves. I mean, it's been there for going on a month, so that should actually give an idea of just how "important" it really is.  (and yes, I knew that when I quoted the number, I just felt like playing it straight and seeing if anyone called me on it  :D )

I'll just say, I really don't care, but I do think it's a pretty esoteric piece of information to worry about actually "tracking" though. Every time I see a thread like this wanting to track one more minute piece of info, add one more overly specific tag to the search engine, I think of MU and the three thousand + "category" list mess they've got. There really is a point where you're trying to control things too much. 

And yes, while I agree with you on general aesthetic principals about the ================staff notice============== thingy...........well, a new "status" isn't really gonna do away with the need to have a notice on the actual page, is it? Doesn't that mostly only show up on search results? It wouldn't show on the actual comic page at all, would it?

Oh, and if you look at this one.....

http://vatoto.com/comic/_/comics/nekogurui-minako-san-r11698

that comic was "locked" due to vandalism, but was still having chapters added. So, yeah, it's not like it's foolproof to say "locked" is automatically some sort of issue that needs to be identified. It was ongoing yet it was locked.

Tn7HA0h.png

Seraphic Mist

Seraphic Mist

Russet Potato

• Retired Mods
  • 486 posts
  • LocationOtaku World

It won't be that hard to make the "Locked" Change. I mean, from what I think.. add in a "Locked" Genre.

Then, we have... Locked + No Chapters can be excluded during Comic Searches = Problem solved. Right? Locked "status" would definitely help.. but "Locked" Genre would help as a short-term fix.

Edited by Seraphic Mist, 15 June 2014 - 09:26 AM.

Cake-kun

Cake-kun

Potato

• Contributor
  • 160 posts

I think this is precisely where you are misleading yourself here. We had series' like Gantz where it was allowed at one point, and it no longer is now.

As time passes and library grows, we will get series' where the comic may no longer meet the acceptability guideline. By bringing up fraction argument, I will also throw in the fact that Batoto has bare fraction of comics, also. 

My suggestion, was a more or less of a longer-term solution.

To summarize pros and cons suggested so far:

Pro:

Cleaner searching options, easier for new users

Opens up possibility regarding newer site expansions, tags and status

Less clutter for title and description, less works for mods

Much better long-term fix

Did I mention the cute icon?

Con:

"It's a fix Batoto deserves, but not what it needs right now"

"no chapter" genre exists as temporal solutions

More immediate back-end work, can't be applied immediately

Clashes with actual translation efforts (?)

Edited by Cake-kun, 15 June 2014 - 02:25 PM.

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts

I think this is precisely where you are misleading yourself here. We had series' like Gantz where it was allowed at one point, and it no longer is now.

Spoiler

Well, frankly I'm not "misleading" myself at all. You've got an opinion and a suggestion, I've got an opinion too, there's really no reason for this to be adversarial.

The bottom line is you (and others apparently, this is hardly the only time this "oh, I keep seeing pages with no chapters!" has been brought up) seem to perceive this as a burden or detriment where as see those pages as a benefit..........a good thing. The reason being those are comics can still read. Now that I've found out about them (that they even exist) can then go out and find them elsewhere. 

It's just that simple. I want to see those titles/pages, chapters or not. I don't want to cull them out or disregard them out of hand. The comic I referenced earlier, Nekogurui? Well, it would've (might've, no clue about the "ongoing" -v- "locked" scenario really) shown as "locked" and many may well have disregarded it simply because of being obsessed with it's so called "status". Your example, Gantz? Same thing, how does someone new to the medium even know it exists if they're arbitrarily taking the opportunity to make their searches so specific that they never even see the title appear?

But whatever, much like the "no chapters" tag...........as long as it's not something forced upon me, I'll just ignore it. For the most part,  I really don't care, I'm just throwing a little bit of different perspective out there for consideration.   :)

Edited by svines85, 15 June 2014 - 06:21 PM.

Tn7HA0h.png

Cake-kun

Cake-kun

Potato

• Contributor
  • 160 posts

And that's precisely why I said it's misleading.

Open / Complete / Closed is status for Batoto site. Has nothing to do with how far TL has been done, it hasn't been, or even a sign if series has been licensed at all. 

Plus, Nekogurui was locked due to vandalism, I don't even see what you're trying to say here further. As much as I understand you're trying to clear anything up, there really isn't anything to clear up in the first place; 

tl;dr it's pain in the donkey to click on the nochapter series only to find out it isn't. I don't filter in hopes of ones that didn't get locked ever will get updates. Nochapter tag solves me, and buncha others, therefore, absolutely nothing. Some indication on front page or on regular search page, however? Entirely different story.

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts

And that's precisely why I said it's misleading.

Open / Complete / Closed is status for Batoto site. Has nothing to do with how far TL has been done, it hasn't been, or even a sign if series has been licensed at all. 

Plus, Nekogurui was locked due to vandalism, I don't even see what you're trying to say here further. As much as I understand you're trying to clear anything up, there really isn't anything to clear up in the first place; 

tl;dr it's pain in the donkey to click on the nochapter series only to find out it isn't. I don't filter in hopes of ones that didn't get locked ever will get updates. Nochapter tag solves me, and buncha others, therefore, absolutely nothing. Some indication on front page or on regular search page, however? Entirely different story.

"There are none so blind as those who will not see"

In my opinion, you're making a mountain out of a molehill here.  :)

Tn7HA0h.png

Cake-kun

Cake-kun

Potato

• Contributor
  • 160 posts

I can't judge for everyone, and never will. But I will also declare that it's my right to make whatever out of whatever

otherwise, there is no reason for such forum to exist, no?

just reminding you, no offense taken and I hope you take/have taken none

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts

just reminding you, no offense taken and I hope you take/have taken none

Nope, not at all. If I was that thin-skinned I'd have quit talking on the forums (and joyfully playing devil's advocate) long ago   :D

Oh yeah, on closer inspection of the handful of "no chapter" tag titles.....better than ten percent of them actually do have chapters. Yup, another reason arguing against more tags......they'll just get abused because anybody can add them and there's no institutional system of checks and balances (and no I don't include the idea of a "locked" status in with this since I'd assume that would be institutional, but I do with a "locked" genre/category tag that anybody can come along and add if they feel like it.) 

Tn7HA0h.png