Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Manga vs. Anime: Bets On What Gets Cut

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

jindo90

jindo90

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • LocationWithin a harem

Well, episode seven kind of threw me for a loop because some of the missing bits that should have appeared in episode six were time-shifted into episode seven, plus it looks like we will be seeing Nanami's arc after all. So, mom and mention of Kogorou being Ryota's uncle are still gone, but the time-shifted school/karaoke scenes took place, Ryota's neighbor girl he tutors time-shifts in briefly, and they even managed to shoehorn in Kazumi's "date" with Ryota, which I was happy to see. I was kind of amused to also see that the producers are so tight on time that they had to drop the OP and lay the opening credits right over Ryota and Kogorou's exposition about synthesizing the pills and the alien egg.

At this point, I have no good idea how they are going to wrap things up given the remaining six episodes, given that they have already shown in the OP the Valkarie and following arc with the Wearers of Mysterious Hats, combined with the producers so far not showing much of a willingness to cut material as to compress and streamline it. So, WTF, lets see how wrong I can be this time:

-- Nanami's arc gets burned through in one full episode.

-- Mizuka's arc does make an appearance, burning up one+ episodes (meaning, one full episode plus a few minutes in the following show due to satisfying whatever cliffhanger they left us with previously).

-- We subtract another episode for the mandatory beach scene (already set up with the appearance of the neighbor girl), leaving us with three episodes to tie up the show.

-- We dispose of the Valkarie in one+ episodes.

-- The final arc with the hat people, done in one+ episodes.

-- Whatever final wrap up to the show is taken care of in the remaining few minutes.

Or not -- I just guessing at this point. :)

Beach episode won't be necessary I think, since there were already bikini and hot-spring scenes every (other) episode.

IMO the anime will cover up to chapter 100. Original ending seems unlikely, but things can go either way, so anything can happen.

Edited by jindo90, 25 May 2014 - 11:00 AM.

antarctico

antarctico

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 51 posts

Beach episode won't be necessary I think, since there were already bikini and hot-spring scenes every (other) episode.

IMO the anime will cover up to chapter 100. Original ending seems unlikely, but things can go either way, so anything can happen.

I still can't see them cutting the beach arc -- the anime has been lingering over every bit of fan service in the manga. They might not use a whole episode to cover the trip to the beach, though even if they did that, I cant see how compressing/streamlining the beach arc can help them make up much time. About there not being an original ending, I just watched the most recent episode, and I agree completely -- there will not be an original ending. There will be a cliffhanger at some point, it is just a matter of at what chapter.

antarctico

antarctico

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 51 posts

In this most recent go around (episode 8) the anime burned through four chapters covering all the major and most of the minor points of chapters 25-29. There were only a few minor trims and streamlines to the events in the chapters and the producers even burned up a few seconds of screen time to finally retro-establish that Kogorou is Ryota's relation (without spelling out that he is his uncle, unless this lack of specificity is due to some confusion in the episode translation). As anyone who watched the episode can confirm, not even a moment of fan service was cut -- hooray, I guess.

The series average at this point is 3.6 chapters per episode, but to keep the math easy, and because the anime producers seem to have gotten into sort of a rhythm when they compress/streamline minor points in the manga, I am going to assume from this point forward they can maintain a four-chapters-to-one-episode ratio. This means, with five episodes left, they can cram in another 20 chapters. As I said in the above post, I am now completely convinced there will not be an original ending to the anime and that we will have a cliffhanger with the producers hoping there will be a second season to continue the anime. So the question becomes where will the series break. jindo90 thinks the anime will make it to chapter 100. This would still certainly be possible but only with major, major cuts, like all of Mizuka's arc getting cut and then some, as even with all of Mizuka's arc cut, we would have somewhere around 40 chapters to cover, but only 20 chapters (5 episodes) in which to do it.

If there are no major cuts, there are just enough episodes remaining to end the anime (first season?) by concluding Mizuka's arc and setting up the beach arc, which could possibly be released as a teaser OVA to build interest in a second season, although this line of reasoning totally tosses out the the idea of using the OP as a guide to how far we will get by the conclusion of episode 13. If there are major cuts, and we do get to chapter 100, assuming no original ending, the story of the manga will still be unresolved, requiring an additional season, possibly with Mizuka's arc timeshifted forward into the new season.

I suppose we will find out at the end of the next episode (episode 9) if Mizuka's arc will be cut or not, and if we will make it to chapter 100 (or so) or not by the series/first-season end.

Edited by antarctico, 27 May 2014 - 08:19 AM.

Whitehalo127

Whitehalo127

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 42 posts

Was it stated that the anime would be 13 episodes? 

If so, they will probably have some original ending or end when they introduce Valkyria in episode 13.

Hopefully the anime is 26 episodes (or another season later on) and covers the first major part of the story. (26 episodes for about 100 chapters seems unrealistic but at the rate this anime is going, it seems plausible) 

We all make choices, but in the end our choices make us. Andrew Ryan

antarctico

antarctico

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 51 posts

Was it stated that the anime would be 13 episodes? 

If so, they will probably have some original ending or end when they introduce Valkyria in episode 13.

Hopefully the anime is 26 episodes (or another season later on) and covers the first major part of the story. (26 episodes for about 100 chapters seems unrealistic but at the rate this anime is going, it seems plausible) 

Yes, the anime is only 13 episodes. About the possibility of an original ending, IMHO it seems unlikely, but they could still butcher the manga's plot and dump us straight into the Valkyrie arc.

antarctico

antarctico

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 51 posts

So episode 9 starts off by ejecting almost two full chapters of material revolving around Ryouta's uncle and his trip to the observatory, along with the mini-plot thread about Kazumi taking apart the PDA. The producers covered six chapters (30-36), but by they did so by deleting two chapters, meaning they really do seem to be capped at a maximum 4-to-1 ratio of chapters used to episodes produced.

When episode 9 begins, we pick up where episode 8 left off which is Nanami raising her skirt. Her and her controller's trip to the resort town with the smashed church gets vaporized to save time. The anime makers really took a cleaver to Nanami's arc. The majority of chapter 36 gets axed, and there are numerous incidences of plot streamlining in the episode. For example, in the anime Nanami tosses the pistol into a pond after zapping Ryouta, but in the manga she retains the gun and it comes up repeatedly in chapter 36, albeit mostly as plot filler where the mangaka seems to be talking out loud about various plot possibilities. On thing the anime makers took time to add was some pretty heavy-handed setup about the importance of friends and how lonely Nanami was without them -- basically flattening her into a walking 2D trope straight out of an ABC Afterschool Special. I suspect this was added by the producers in an attempt to make up for the damage done by the serious plot streaming and rewriting of events in the anime. Basically, because of all their alterations to reduce the run time of the episode, they felt the need to prop up the emotional punchline of Nanami's arc -- that Nanami did not want to return to the lab and to be forgotten in peoples memories anymore. I think Nanami's story was poorly served in the anime. My feeling is it would have taken two full episodes to properly cover her arc up to the point of her controller discovering his journal. Episode 9 is, in my opinion, the most hacked and debased episode so far.

So, what is coming next? I suspect that chapter 37 will be largely gutted as the events involving Ryouta's uncle never happened in the anime. They may or may not even bother to go to the observatory before Nanami gets remotely ejected. The way they have set up Nanami's simplified/streamlined arc, they may just shortcut the scene with the other girls by having her ejected right there in the park where the short fight with Kuroha took place. Given how episode 9 played out, I believe this is the option the producers will choose and Nanami will not go to the observatory and that she will be ejected right away in the park.

About the question of whether we will get to the Valkyrie arc or not, and the events of chapter 100, we will not know this until episode 10, after Nanami gets ejected. This will be crunch time for the producers. Do they try to continue on to Mizuka's arc (and hope for a second season), or do they flash us straight to the Valkyrie arc and give us an accelerated crash landing at chapter 100? I guess we will find out in a week or so, but seeing how the producers showed us a surprising willingness to cut big chunks of material in episode 9, I feel this increases the likelihood that Mizuka's arc will not happen and we will flash crash into the events of chapter 100.

Edited by antarctico, 04 June 2014 - 05:53 AM.

ALAKTORN

ALAKTORN

Fingerling Potato

• Chocolat Vanilla
  • 71 posts
^If Nanami doesn’t die with Murakami, then how is she gonna imprint herself into Murakami’s mind or whatever? (And actually, has that even been relevant yet in the manga? I’ve forgotten.)

antarctico

antarctico

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 51 posts

^If Nanami doesn’t die with Murakami, then how is she gonna imprint herself into Murakami’s mind or whatever? (And actually, has that even been relevant yet in the manga? I’ve forgotten.)

Even if the anime producers skip the observatory scene and eject Nanami directly in the park, Ryouta is still right there with her, so she could still do her Spock-Vulcan-katra-thing. And about Nanami later in the manga, without spoiling anything, yes she does reappear Obi Wan-like in the conclusion of the Valkyrie arc.

ALAKTORN

ALAKTORN

Fingerling Potato

• Chocolat Vanilla
  • 71 posts
^Yeah I know she appears a few times, I’ve read the manga, but I don’t recall her ever doing anything relevant when appearing… does she?

sprite7

sprite7

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 6 posts

BTW web preview for the next ep available on the official site.

Niernen

Niernen

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 4 posts

My highly leaning towards a cliffhanger for a possible second season. I don't see them trying to catch up, no way they can do it. An original ending is possible, but I feel like it would leave way too many questions and holes. Even if the second season is not in the next year or so, plenty of series get a second season within 2-3 years.

Madara

Madara

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 3 posts
Well it looks like the Mizuka/Skadi arc was hacked, looks like we're going straight into Valkyria arc, I suspect that in episode 11 Hatsuna will be joining the group. Seems the further we go in this anime, the more is seems the producers are cutting and slashing in the story. Who knows what they will cut next.

antarctico

antarctico

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 51 posts
Wow, the anime producers whipped out the big axe and cut 17 chapters (chapters 40-57). I'm flabbergasted. Even though it was a possibility that was discussed earlier in this thread...damn. To see it happen this way, it leaves a bitter taste.

So, Mizuka and Skadi's arc gets totally axed, the full beach episode I insisted would happen instead gets turned into a seven minute or so micro-arc with none of the emotional set up of Ryouta flashing back on how childhood Kuro Neko always wanted to go to the beach. Ryouta's next door neighbor girl, Kitsuka, is nowhere to be seen. None of her interplay with Kana happens. And this means that if a star in the east were to go nova, and there was somehow a second season, the arc about Kanna's junior high debut can't happen because she and Kitsuka will have never met. All that was left of the three chapter beach arc was a flash or two of bikinis and boobies, and...then...we're out of here.

Speaking of more missing bits, was anyone else torqued that Ryouta's solemn graveside scene with Nanami doing her Obi-wan thing did not happen? I sure was. And lastly, let us take a moment to pity poor neglected Kogorou. He is finally outed in the anime as Ryouta's uncle by Kazumi (and how exactly did she know this in the anime?), only to appear in Nanami's observatory meltdown as a wooden plot device with nothing to add to the most recent episode except to deliver some Geordi La Forge techno-babble and then stand there in the background looking sort of constipated.

About the next episode, I am sure Madara is right that episode 11 will see Hatsuna appear, but now that the producers are on such an accelerated, hack-and-slash production schedule, I imagine Hatuna's initial arc will be disposed of in less than a full episode and that her participation in the story will be severely curtailed compared to the manga. It really does seem the producers intend to push the anime toward a chapter 100 conclusion, but with almost none of the intervening story, set-up, world-discovery, or back-story. I guess in this way the anime really will have a unique ending in that so much will be cut, compressed, and rejiggered, that the end of the anime will resemble the end of the main arc of the manga (chapter 100) in only the most superficial way and thus could be considered an "original" ending.

What the fuck, you might ask? What the fuck, indeed!

Edited by antarctico, 10 June 2014 - 02:24 AM.

sprite7

sprite7

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 6 posts

Ep. 11 web PV: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VqVBoNSViQ

antarctico

antarctico

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 51 posts

Ep. 11 web PV:...

Thanks sprite7! :)

Edited by antarctico, 11 June 2014 - 11:46 PM.

Madara

Madara

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 3 posts
Well in the newest episode it looks like there will be an original ending and no season 2 now, Hatsuna was introduced differently than in the manga and quickly went through her mini arc. Now hopefully it will follow the manga some what, that is all that is left to hope for.

antarctico

antarctico

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 51 posts

What a train wreck of cuts, time shifts, and reshuffled events. This time out, the anime producers manage to chew through a dizzying 13 chapters (58-70) by increasingly brutal trims, deletions, revisions, time shifts, recombinations, and compressions.

When the episode starts, we do not get to see the satisfying scene in the manga where Valkyria blasts the annoying, cloying love birds into a bloody spray. Also, after Valkyria blows the SWAT team away, along with the top of the mountain, Hatusna begins her altered, shortened arc. The information about the existence of Valkyria and her being a hybrid with eight types of magic is revealed in a porked-up version of what was a short scene in the manga about the top of the local mountain exploding. In the manga the scene's purpose was to underscore Ryouta's concerns about Kuroha being an S-ranked weapon of mass destruction, but in the anime the conversation at the observatory plays out with all the main characters clustered around a flat-panel screen displaying that most popular exposition-ex-machina device of bad 21st century writers, the Internet, while Kazumi and Kana vomit out exposition left over from cut scenes.

Speaking of cut scenes, where is that heartwarming moment in the manga where Valkyria gibs her date-rapist in his own shower? This is Okamoto Lynn we are talking about -- where's my gratuitous gore! Plus, we miss out on an important teaching opportunity: Date rape gets a dude gibbed, so don't date rape!

Back to being serious, Ryouta's call to Hexenjagd is completely cut (or time shifted to a future episode) and is replaced mid-episode with a much shortened version of his meeting with Kogorou (a munged version of their two meetings from chapter 64 and chapter 68, combined and compressed) about Chisato's college research involving protease and how it will speed up manufacturing the anti-death drug, but not speed it up enough to keep all the witches alive. Kana and Kazumi playing shogi in the observatory gets whacked, and the observatory scene that follows is not about the cut Hexenjagd conversation, but it instead becomes Ryouta reporting on his meeting with Kogorou  followed by the, largely unaltered, scene of the girls deciding on who should get to live from chapter 69, with the only change being Hatsuna's source for her pills being the corpses of the other minder witches killed by Valkyria (in the manga, it is Valkaria who loots the bodies for pills). All discussion of Valkyria being a fugitive is cut as is Ryouta's outdoor bath scene with Kazumi (one of the few times the anime producers passed on fan service). The content of Ryouta and Kazumi's cut discussion of the rumor that Kurouah is really an S-class witch and a Valkarie will probably be time shifted and jammed into an future scene.

Chisato's grilling by his superiors in chapter 58 is turned in the anime into a munged up version of the chapter 58 meeting about Chisato's decision to release the Valkarie, where the discovery of Valkyria's 9th and 10th powers is revealed, blended with the later chapter 64-65 meeting where Chisato gets dressed down for his incompetence and the unintended mayhem caused by Valkyria. He makes a second appearance, also lifted from Chapter 65, where he meets with Valkyria (Mako) on the overlook and uses his pimp hand to bitch-slap Mako into tearful Stockholm Syndrome submission.

Regarding Hatsuna, as Madara noted her origin is very different in the anime. Instead of being an escapee, she is one of Valkyria's seven minders killed off-camera when Valkyria, A.K.A. Mako, breaks loose. After regenerating herself and discovering her beacon has conveniently been sliced off, we next see Hatsuna when she arrives at the base of the mountain housing the observatory. Here, she coughs up the missing plot point that Valkyria can sense other witches, and here we also get to see, in flashback form, how Hatusna knows about the observatory. One point here: In this flashback scene Valkyria talks to herself about getting the other four witches later, but since, to save time, the search for pills plot point has been cut, why would Valkyria want to go out of her way to kill four other witches? In the Manga, the search for anti-death medicine is a strong reason for Valkyria to hunt down and kill every witch she comes across, but without this motivation, her desire to kill other witches is what exactly? Is it just because of generic, villainous pure-evil?

Back to Hatsuna, when she is introduced to the other girls in the observatory, in a very shortened and simplified scene, it is as an A-rank witch, which presumably means the anime producers have ditched the manga's plot point that she has never regenerated anyone else, which was why she was B-ranked in the manga. Assuming this point, that Hatusna has never regenerated another person is absent from episode 12, this also reduces her (future) saving Ryouta's life from an emotionally charged act of possible self-sacrifice to just another day on the job for an A-ranked witch. And, about her introduction to the other witches, even with all the cuts and changes from the anime, we still get another overly steamy, all girl oppai bathing scene, because who needs plot when you've got boobies, right?

Just like in the manga, even with her simplified arc, Hatsuna tests Ryouta on the cell-tower, but without Hatsuna's, cool and grisly death, and very grotesque regeneration in front of her shallow human friend from school, her test of Ryouta loses most of its emotional impact (outside of cheap shock value), and it comes off as puzzling and cruel. Putting Ryouta in danger like that just to prove he is worthy to befriended/date/molest comes off as a dick move without the axed back story to explain why Hatsuna did what she did.

The anime takes a further dump on the manga by short cutting the discovery that Kuroha is actually Kuro Neko. In the Manga Kazumi discovers Kuroha is actually Ryouta's childhood friend and this colors several of her internal monologs regarding her feelings for Ryouta and whether or not she should reveal Kuroha's identity to him. Since, in the anime, we do not have time to mess around with feelings and all that time wasting crap, Kazumi's love for Ryouta and her clumsy attempts to seduce him are all cut. With all that cut, the only thing left is the reveal in chapter 70 where Kotori pulls a clumsy trip trope and splashes Kuroha with juice, followed by her (added for the anime) forcibly undressing Kuroha down to her bare rack, thus revealing the three moles to Ryouta and thus proving that Kuroha is indeed his childhood friend Neko. Hell, who needs chapters of story and character development when all you need is a clumsy Tits Magee and a tray full of orange Kool-Aid to satisfy a plot point in your screenplay? Seriously, at this point, just fuck the anime to death.

The preceding scenes in the manga, beginning with Ryouta and Kazumi's cute nighttime pratfall kiss are, of course, missing from the anime. No morning pre-school boobie humor, no red faced meeting with Kazumi in school, no suspicious Kuroha, no after school bus stop kiss between Ryouta and Kazumi, no molestation/love counseling by Hatsuna in the observatory, and no tearful runaway Kuroha.  There is no time at all it seems, what with only two more episodes to go, for awkward teenage romance under the gun of a week-long death sentence. No time for anything but a frantic head long rush toward the blood spattered guro action of a chapter 100 ending.

After Ryouta has his big post mole reveal cry, we jump to the heartwarming nighttime scene of of Ryouta and Neko sharing a moment of one-sided reunion, follow by choppers, followed by Valkyria making her (chapter 70) appearance in the observatory, and the big (gasp!) episode ending cliffhanger.

Now with the ball-busting analysis over, what's coming next week? I am sort of having a Keima-kun TWGOK moment -- I can see the ending. Not too hard really, what with only two more episodes to go. So, let us begin, and in no particular order:

-- Clearly the anime producers are set on a chapter 100 ending, The town laid to waste, the Neko personality gone, Kuroha forgetting everything that has transpired in the manga/anime, and the first scene of the manga replicated at the end of chapter 100, or in the case of the anime, episode 13. That's what we are going to get, the question is how we are going to get there.

-- It will be revealed (in an explosion of rapid-fire exposition, no doubt) that the witches consciousness (or souls) are contained in their alien parasite/symbiots. We can be certain of this because the anime keeps hammering on the urgent need to find and secure witch #1107 (Kotori). We will learn about Chisato's sister, her illness, his preseving her living head, and the transfer of her consciousness into the drasil (symbiot) currently residing in Kotori, and we will learn all of this very quickly.

-- We will get the bad-ass fight between Neko and Valkyria, because...well, that's pretty much all the payoff the anime has to offer us after it stripped out all the feeling, romance, character development, and "nonessential" plot points from the last third of the manga.

-- The cyber duel with Kazami and Freya will be cut as will most of scenes involving Hexenjagd. There is simply no time for any of this. The action team with the mini-habit wearing nun, her gunsels, and the anti-magic munchkin will appear for their action scene, at some point they will give Ryouta  the information on how to make the drug, and they might be flying around in a chopper during the Neko vs. Mako fight, and that is it -- they're done.

-- The witches dungeon crawl under Chisato's hide away will be severely curtailed. Hatsuna and Kazumi will get splatterfied, and that will be the extent of the crawl.

-- Kana will probably have her overdrive switch tripped and she will probably still put down Mako from behind.

-- There will be 90 seconds of post-apocalyptic happy harem epilog over the closing credits.

-- The anime will end and we will all go about the important business of forgetting we ever watched it.

That's all I've got guys, anybody else want to take a shot? :)

Edited by antarctico, 18 June 2014 - 07:01 AM.

Niernen

Niernen

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 4 posts

They are going to end this so badly, and probably no season two, looks like they just want to get it over with.

antarctico

antarctico

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 51 posts

They are going to end this so badly, and probably no season two, looks like they just want to get it over with.

Yep, you are 100% correct...unfortunately. :(

antarctico

antarctico

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 51 posts

Episode 12 burns through chapters 71-87, mostly by dumping vast swaths of plot, whole chapters, concepts, and more scenes than you can shake a drasil at.

Before I get into this, has anyone else noticed just how shit the animation is?  Jerky, poorly drawn, and flat looking (meaning very little to no shading on the characters and backdrops), the whole anime looks cheap. I almost burst out laughing at Hexenjagd's big arrival. For fuck's sake their faces looked like they had been left on the dashboard of a car on a hot, sunny day and they had melted. I guess when the Blu-Rays come out, if they have any budget left after deleting all the censor steam, they might clean some of this ugly shit up -- or not.

Some of my bold predictions were mostly dead on, some not so much as even I could not anticipate the amount of material that would hit the cutting room floor. I missed, for example, in predicting the reveal that the witches consciousness resided it their drasil as the anime seems to have decided to just leave this point out entirely. Seriously, just gone completely. As far as the anime is concerned, the drasil are parasites and not the true form of the witches as they are in the manga. Kind of a major difference, if you care, and clearly the anime producers do not.

About where I guessed correctly, all of the Hexenjagd scenes in their base were cut as the episode ends with the agreement that the Hexenjagd action team will give Ryouta and the girls (Kana excepted) a lift to the final set piece, Chisato's hideout and the big town destroying battle between Neko and Mako. Also, the gripping duel between Kazumi and Freya was cut entirely and replaced with a line about a "magical barrier" and a single still frame of an unidentified Freya sitting in her hacker chair. And, of course, Kazumi hacking Chisato's location was shifted in location from the cut Hexenjagd base to the observatory. Also, one major change was Kazumi's services were not in exchange for the PIN unlocking the anti-death medicine as in the manga, but for a freaking chopper lift to Chisato's in the anime. Clearly, Murakami-kun can cut a better deal in the manga than in the anime. Maybe his bargaining skills got simplified along with his (and everyone else's) face.

The point about the drasil aside, in the first half of the episode, the anime producers did an adequate job hitting the major plot points of chapters 71-73. Without going back and rereading these chapters, the first half of the anime played out mostly the way I remembered these chapters outside of, in the anime, Neko and Mako (Valkaria) had not yet been reunited where they had in chapter 60 of the manga, and the whole Oneesan thing, where Mako considers Kuroha her sister, this having been completely dropped from the anime. As far as I am concerned, these two points aside, the first half of the anime tracks the manga with about the same fidelty as the bulk of the anime did up till episode 10 (where the big, ugly cuts started), and is thus the least objectionable part of the episode. Two points that were changed in the first half that are easy to miss: In the manga, Chisato wants Kuroha and Kotori both captured, in the anime he only wants Kotori (#1107). Also, in the manga, he wants the girls ejected and their drasils collected, in the anime he just wants everyone killed including Kuroha, and never mentions collecting their drasils.

The last half of the episode is a complete hash of compressions, location shifts, alterations, and cuts (some covered above). Hexenjagd's role in the anime has been so reduced compared to the manga that the only reason for them to make an appearance in the anime at all is because manga readers expect it, to provide plot mechanics to conclude Valkaria and Chisato's arc in the observatory, puke out exposition from cut scenes, and to provide transportation for Ryouta and his magical harem to the location of the final episode. Really, given how reduced in importance Hexenjagd's role is in the anime, it might have made more sense to eliminate Hexenjagd, and every reference to it (the PDA, and the ruined church with the clue in German, the confrontation with Kuroha and the police, etc.), altogether and used the resulting free screen time for something else like, for example, fleshing out the teen romance under-the-gun aspect of the manga's plot.

But theorizing about how trimming down the manga could have been done better is not really what we are here to talk about, so back to the the cuts. Fleeing the observatory and hiding in the dam flood area -- cut. Ryouta waiting with the goo-ified Hatsuna -- cut (for obvious reasons). All the chapters and scenes involving the girls hiding out in Kogorou's awesome house -- cut. Ryouta and Kogorou's discussion about how to proceed against Ichijiku (Chisato), and their discussion about the fertilized alien egg -- both cut. Kogorou's housekeeper Miako -- totally freaking cut. Negotiating with Hexenjagd and trading the tube containing the alien egg for information about Katori, and, in fact, every single fucking event that takes place in their abandoned factory lair -- cut. All mention of the Sorcerian -- cut. Mako's flashback scene where Chisato saved her -- cut. The hidden lab controllers discussing Ichijiku possible betrayal -- cut. The deal with Hexenjagd to trade Kazumi's services for information on how to synthesize the anti-death medicine -- cut. Ryouta and the girls planning how to confront Ichijiku, the call from home, going to the school to explain the observatory, getting dounuts, Kuroha knocking out Ryouta in the observatory -- cut, cut, cut, cut, and cut.

But, the anime producers are only just getting started, and here is where some of the emotionally roughest scene in the manga get utterly disappeared. And when I say disappeared, I am assuming that since episode 12 ends with the broadcasting of the Ain Soph Aur, everything that precedes it that was not depicted or talked about in episode 12 gets cut. If some fragments get time shifted, we will have to see next week. So, to further detail the destruction of the story, my prediction that we would see some shortened depiction of the dungeon crawl where Hatsuna and Kazumi get killed by Valkaria was full of fail as the whole sequence of scenes leading up and including their deaths, casing Ichijiku's hide out, gaining entry, finding the mutilated girl, all of it was cut. And there is more cut, way more. Mako kidnapping the unconcious Kuroha, Ryouta confronting Mako and rescuing her back -- cut. Discovering the crippled Kotori and Ryouta and Ichijiku's confrontation --both cut. The grani in Kotori coming alive allowing her to move and then it hatching out of Kotori's Harness, Kotori melting, and the explosion of the mountainside as the Ain Soph Aur is broadcast -- all of it cut.

In a nutshell, just in the last half of episode 12 there were 13 chapters of story that were largely or entirely deleted, or were disposed of with a few lines of exposition. We jumped straight from Hexenjagd driving off Ichijiku and Mako, to blurting out some plot patching exposition, and then right to the broadcast of of the Ain Soph Aur. Those eleven or so minutes flashed past so many chapters, scenes, and details that FTL travel must have been used to get to the end of the episode.

And so, my brave predictions for episode 13 are:

-- The Hexenjagd chopper arrives in time for Ryouta and Ichijiku to have an abbreviated version of their post grani hatching exchange and Ryouta ejects Kotori. Kazumi either stays with the chopper or is pointlessly killed with her body being later resurrected off-screen by Hatsuna.

-- Kana stays stuck at the observatory and does not get her top switch pushed allowing her to move and stab Mako during the final fight as in the manga as there simply is not enough screen time available in episode 13 for any of this. Hatsuna regenerates in time for the happy over-credit 90 second epilog.

-- Hexenjagd arrives and kills Ichijiku as he shields Mako with his body.

-- Mako goes berserk and anti-matters the town.

-- We will not get to see the panel where Ryouta kneels over Kuroha with his hand on the knife as in the opening panel of the manga as Kana is still stuck in the observatory.

-- Kuroha gets her top switch pushed and goes into overdrive Neko mode -- an abbreviated final battle ensues.

-- Happy 90-second over end credit epilog.

Even so, the anime producers have 13 chapters worth of ending to jam into one final episode. I suppose the one safe prediction I can make is that the ending will be a rushed train wreck of a disaster.

Edited by antarctico, 25 June 2014 - 06:14 AM.