Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

If you meet a scanlator for your favorite series

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

Hespia Klarerin

Hespia Klarerin

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 2 posts

This happened to me

I saw my co-worker sneakily reading manga at work, and we started to talk about manga during break. I told her that I translate manwha as a hobby and she was like OO really what series.

So it turns out she's a fan of some of the series I translate.

I wonder, if you find out that your co-worker or classmates were the ones doing the scanlation for some of your favorite series, what would be your reaction?

Viscoun

Viscoun

Couch Potato

• VisTrans
  • 2,095 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

this might be a bit of a reverse point, but... when classmates find out that i scanlate, their reaction is either "omg can you translate this series or that series" or "lol dude what a waste of time, you should be studying" (yes, i am asian). so that's that.

but then again, not a lot of my friends read manga anyway...

oninn

oninn

Potato

• Contributor
  • 175 posts
  • LocationNot tellin'

Those damn fiends always asks me this question after they found out that I'm scanlating some manga:

"How much is your salary by doing that kind of job?"

Fucking retards. My heart broke every single time they ask me that question. I just smile, keeping my annoyance at heart, replying: "None. It's a free fan scanlation for fans made by fans. I'm happy just by learning on how to use Photoshop~

Visit our Blog! Also, try visiting my deviantart!
Inclined just for you.
I am normal.

Horn

Horn

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,078 posts
  • LocationWelded to my computer chair.
I would go "Oh, cool. I do that as well." We would then exchange some pointers and berate each other for the mistakes we're making.

UIqflpq.jpg

2hot4you

2hot4you

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 2,068 posts
  • LocationThe Wild
Probaly first say cool, what series? And if its yaoi im done xD

Nah but really, i love scanlators, the manga world wouldnt be the same without, i need my manga fix after all

aovnZo7.png

Shrimpeh

Shrimpeh

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 552 posts
  • LocationCity of Legacia

''cool, what series?''

''thanks for the awesome work'' or something like that....

Lonely-signature.png

my ideal girl: nice, shy, beautiful, loyal, outgoing, half-traditonal, half modern,  preferably black hair or red hair, has a sense of humor, a little nerd-ish / otaku-ish. 

acepanda

acepanda

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 343 posts
  • LocationOn the toilet

"what serious? awesome continue with the hard work" 
and 
rape them because they are just great people

αρняσɖιтє

αρняσɖιтє

Baked Potato

• Appreciation Scans
  • 1,148 posts
  • LocationFish bowl

All I ever get is, "Oooh, do you translate?" and my response is "no". and they're like " that sucks, then you're just those nooby people"

I got offended, but I just left it at that.

Third year of college

groups I work for:

Spoiler

mimi25

mimi25

Russet Potato

• Shirayuki Scans
  • 266 posts
  • Locationlost

Hm. I dont have friends who are scanlators, aside from co-scanlators whom I later get to be friends with.

But when people found out I do scanlation works, there were notable differences in their reactions. My male friends (obviously shounen manga fans) were like, "All hail you, you're awesome" They'd get overly  excited and ask about their favorite manga, lol. *but I do shoujo, sorry. * Pfffft. :D

Girls (either shoujo fans or not manga fans) were like, "really? oh, what do you get from that?" Giving an answer is hard so I just leave them-_-

And my family? They kept teasing me when I only did free scanlations, lol. They'd jokingly tell me I'm wasting too much electricity and glucose, lol. But they knew it's my hobby so they didnt stop me at all. and when I started doing paid ones, my sis was happy ^_^

hG90pQN.png

shadow, by ponies~ <3

别管閑事!

DVerde

DVerde

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 72 posts
  • Location????, Nebraska

I would kidnap them first, and ask questions later. <_< Why waste time talking their ears off otherwise?

Edited by DVerde, 07 April 2014 - 01:16 PM.

http://www.gameanyone.com

Your number one source for video game walkthroughs, and Visual Novels. :P

Kannade

Kannade

Baked Potato

• Donator
  • 1,204 posts
  • Locationkonoha

I wouldn't say anything and I wouldn't want anyone to say anything to me tbh. This is one of the most uncool hobbies you could have, right next to collecting DIY Gundam model kits.

Horripilating Sea Cucumber

Horripilating Sea Cucumber

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 839 posts
  • Locationhopefully not in the hands of confused lewd teenagers.

I wouldn't say anything and I wouldn't want anyone to say anything to me tbh. This is one of the most uncool hobbies you could have, right next to collecting DIY Gundam model kits.

but DIY Gundam kits are so fun to make ;n;

I mean I scanlated for a while and it happened to be series I liked. I didn't say much then and even my friends didnt say much. I just thank the scanlators deeply within for putting time and effort into doing it. Though I prefer reading raws... 

I once asked my dad his opinion and he said it was illegal and sorta scared me off about it...

I'd prolly just ask for the raws instead though :P if they were nice enough... 

Alacia

Alacia

Russet Potato

• The Company
  • 230 posts
  • LocationUSA

People are generally kind of surprised and impressed for a few seconds, then shrug it off very quickly. I guess it's not that impressive. (Plus, I mainly work on tC's less known stuff). The comic-makers stay impressed for a little while longer, though.

Joja-lee

Joja-lee

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 32 posts

I'd offer them my first born child in thanks. Na haha. I'd say thanks x100, because seriously what you guys do is awesome. 

giphy.gif

tumblr_lqszlysjrl1qjnajp.gif