Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Official Mobile Manga Reading App

- - - - - Mobile App

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Eien No

Eien No

Russet Potato

• Donator
  • 217 posts

I already read this thread and it addresses a different issue than the one I'm proposing.

One can infer from the title what I'm going to suggest, but to make it clear, what I'm proposing is the development of an "Official" app from Batoto for mobile users to read manga from its servers. There are already plenty of other apps that do this, but none of them provide actual benefit for batoto. If, however, an app was developed by Batoto, that money could be funnelled into sustaining Batoto's servers. The app could sport ads, as many apps tend to do and offer a ad-free version via donation or an actual separate app. Additionally, the follows list might be able to be imported into the app for each individual user(something that a third party app can't do) so as to convince people who are already on Batoto and using other apps to switch over.

I don't know the difficulty of the programming that goes into this, but I know one must keep up to date with firmware changes as well as the differences between iphones and android devices so the time that goes into that needs to also be considered.

Myrrh.gif

OchaMeido❣

OchaMeido❣

The Head Maid

• Contrib Mods
  • 1,728 posts
  • Location@ the Greenhouse Tea Party~

I really really think we should do something about the "mobile situation". There will only be more and more mobile users in the future. Right now we don't have a solution for it.

(taken from somewhere *-*)

ןן Tea Party~ ןן "THE BAR" ןן

ןןGuide to Uploading/deltin/sortin ןן

ןן[Must read] COMMENT SECTIONS RULES ן

Follow the comment sections' rules or else, you will be hanging at the edge of an cliff ^^
It maybe one step closer to death's door or an extension of your life's time.

Eien No

Eien No

Russet Potato

• Donator
  • 217 posts

(taken from somewhere *-*)

Didn't find that anywhere. @-@ But this is definitely a "solution".

Myrrh.gif

seyrine

seyrine

Unemployed Kitty In A Penguin Suit

• Administrators
  • 1,830 posts
  • LocationLurking nearby...

I believe the main focus for now is to deliver a good experience on a mobile site, rather than a mobile app. We (and by we, we mean grumpy) simply don't have the resources to develop for a specific platform. Right now, the mobile site is IPB supplied, so its usability is dependent on how IPB made it. It should improve in future upgrades, according to update... er... updates. 

Catch my story; the Neverender Series

Batoto's Rules Repository | Rules, Guidelines and FAQs

Rules and Regulations | How to get help | Frequently Asked Questions

If all else fails, PM me. And use the REPORT button if you see any content that may violate site policy.

Catch me on irc.idlechat.net (#seyrine) and D.F.T.B.A.!

Cake-kun

Cake-kun

Potato

• Contributor
  • 160 posts
  • LocationNot on your plate, hopefully

I can't say about the phones, but when I get on tablet I just get on regular/full site. And loads fine. Both AndroidOS and iOS.

Only difference I suppose is I don't run AdBlock when I'm in my home; when I'm outside I have to since bandwidth is limited unfortunately (and thus doesn't help the site)

I do would like ad-supported app that is less clunky to use then all the ones provided by whatever OS and devs it is. Call me vanilla fag, but I don't want much. Just exact same feature as Batoto site.

Also, would be nice if we can upload comics using it, later, but that's down in the future I think.

Edited by Cake-kun, 18 March 2014 - 12:11 PM.

⚡lightning07⚡

⚡lightning07⚡

Potato

• Members
  • 179 posts
  • LocationParadise city where the grass is green and the girls are pretty.
Honestly, I think the mobile site is fine. I myself use the full site which, while runs ads, doesn't bother me whatsoever. This is mainly because Batoto doesn't 18 different ads everywhere *cough*Manga____*cough*. The app would be pretty pointless. Using the full site runs ads which aren't annoying because the screen/page is so big relative to the ad. In comparison, a mobile ad would take up a good chunk of the screen, especially when you're on a smartphone. Even if the ratio is the same, most ads are top or bottom banners and those annoy the crap out of me. The app likely wouldn't allow you to read offline either since I'm don't really want terabytes worth of data on my device that I only use about 0.01% of. The only benefit I see to making an app would be that it would make loading pages faster. However, depending on the time of say and actual day itself, that problem is more of an on/off thing.
output_WD8IW0_zps24b345ad.gif
This amazing signature was made by Viscoun.

Eien No

Eien No

Russet Potato

• Donator
  • 217 posts

I believe the main focus for now is to deliver a good experience on a mobile site, rather than a mobile app. We (and by we, we mean grumpy) simply don't have the resources to develop for a specific platform. Right now, the mobile site is IPB supplied, so its usability is dependent on how IPB made it. It should improve in future upgrades, according to update... er... updates. 

Ah, the infamous updates.

I was already aware Batoto was operating like this and it's honestly not a "bad" mobile experience. But it could be better. However, I am aware that extra resources are necessary and whether Batoto can supply them or not is the ultimate determining factor.

I can't say about the phones, but when I get on tablet I just get on regular/full site. And loads fine. Both AndroidOS and iOS.

Only difference I suppose is I don't run AdBlock when I'm in my home; when I'm outside I have to since bandwidth is limited unfortunately (and thus doesn't help the site)

I do would like ad-supported app that is less clunky to use then all the ones provided by whatever OS and devs it is. Call me vanilla fag, but I don't want much. Just exact same feature as Batoto site.

Also, would be nice if we can upload comics using it, later, but that's down in the future I think.

My phone operates the website smoothly as well, but there are certain minuscule hindrances that would be addressed by an app. Certain things like auto-zooming, for example, as well as simple motions to go from one page to the next. 

The set-up right now isn't horrible, but there's always room for improvement. And either way, whether an app or not is developed I'll keep using Batoto.

Honestly, I think the mobile site is fine. I myself use the full site which, while runs ads, doesn't bother me whatsoever. This is mainly because Batoto doesn't 18 different ads everywhere *cough*Manga____*cough*. The app would be pretty pointless. Using the full site runs ads which aren't annoying because the screen/page is so big relative to the ad. In comparison, a mobile ad would take up a good chunk of the screen, especially when you're on a smartphone. Even if the ratio is the same, most ads are top or bottom banners and those annoy the crap out of me. The app likely wouldn't allow you to read offline either since I'm don't really want terabytes worth of data on my device that I only use about 0.01% of. The only benefit I see to making an app would be that it would make loading pages faster. However, depending on the time of say and actual day itself, that problem is more of an on/off thing.

I don't think I ever mentioned ads were any sort of problem. Ad placement on Batoto is optimal and I've never had any complaints about it, but I'm also not bothered immensely by banner ads on mobile apps(which, as I mentioned before could be removed via a donation/subscription model).

The ultimate goal of the app is to attract users of other apps that use Batoto(and many other websites) as a resource to one that would directly benefit Batoto. The mobile site would still be there, regardless of the app's presence so if you prefer it over an app, then you are certainly entitled to use it.

And, as far as I'm aware, there are ways to "download" chapters to allow offline reading. Whether or not this is implemented would depend on how it affects the servers and on the developers' decision.

Edited by Eien No, 19 March 2014 - 05:51 PM.

Myrrh.gif