Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Inconsistency?

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

moridain

moridain

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 19 posts

I noticed that in chapter one he says 'he even leveled up' and put all his points into strength.

But then in class later on he attempted to call up the status window as though it were the first time using a voice command, using that to pull up inventory and the like.

So if he had never opened the status window before how was he using it to up his strength in chapter one..? :)

You guys spotted any other issues?

Lets leave damage out of this for now though, since the writer is 'hand-waving' that a bit.

Draxo

Draxo

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 41 posts

The window appeared automatically when he leveled up I think, and he didn't know he could bring it up again short of leveling up again.

Katsurandom

Katsurandom

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 21 posts

when you lvl up in a MMORPG the stats windows usually pops up automatically, or they give you a nice Icon to click an pop up the stats windows, it isn't dat hard

moridain

moridain

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 19 posts

Ahh, but he has leveled again since then and it never did that. And before you say 'he has to click the level up announcement' he has actually said Status with the level up still visible, which would be silly if he could just press the announcement he already has.

Katsurandom

Katsurandom

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 21 posts

like I said, in mmorpg sometimes you get the pop up, sometimes you get a nice icon to click...

Like the quest in the first chapter, he clicked the quest and got the info, but dat window had an X, so maybe when he lvl up he clicks the X to close, and so...he don't get the pop up stats winwdows...

btw, inconsistency is dat it's almost 8 days since the last chapter and we still don't have it to read...

Khress

Khress

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 2 posts

like I said, in mmorpg sometimes you get the pop up, sometimes you get a nice icon to click...

Like the quest in the first chapter, he clicked the quest and got the info, but dat window had an X, so maybe when he lvl up he clicks the X to close, and so...he don't get the pop up stats winwdows...

btw, inconsistency is dat it's almost 8 days since the last chapter and we still don't have it to read...

the raw is out. but because the scanlation group is busy, with test and the like, it takes a while longer this week

Azneas

Azneas

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 38 posts

There is a crap-ton of inconsistencies/plotholes.

For example:

1.  Chapter 1, his mom states that his dad is eating out (which is why we don't see him).   Now, his dad is on a business trip to the US.

2.  When his healing skill was introduced, the only thing that the soul stone did was give extra mana when healing (the healing automatically cured status effects).  Now, it allows the user to cure status effects (although admittedly, that may have been what the author originally intended to do; the artist might have just mis-drawn it).

3.  In the latest chapter, he's still using the apprentice undead hunter title even though he already has the undead hunter title.

4.  Not an inconsistency but: his skills don't have their mana costs increased when they are leveled up.  As of right now, he can fire off thousands of mana arrows contiously without running out of mana (and this isn't putting into account his mana regeneration). 

8Psycho

8Psycho

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 62 posts
  • LocationRussia
There are a lot of mistakes with numbers also. MC's Int, levels and %'s of techniques is mixed quite often.

moridain

moridain

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 19 posts
1.  Chapter 1, his mom states that his dad is eating out (which is why we don't see him).   Now, his dad is on a business trip to the US.

I think this is intentional. I expect his father is an important character being left for later, or simply doesn't exist anywhere and his mother is making him THINK he has one.

3.  In the latest chapter, he's still using the apprentice undead hunter title even though he already has the undead hunter title.

Yeah, I noticed that too. Not sure why he said 'apprentice' when this is gone. I am guessing a translation error.

4.  Not an inconsistency but: his skills don't have their mana costs increased when they are leveled up.  As of right now, he can fire off thousands of mana arrows contiously without running out of mana (and this isn't putting into account his mana regeneration). 

Also intentional. Leveling up doesn't always seem to increase the power of the moves, just their efficiency. We saw that with Mana Shield, that the cost was dropping per rank. I think this is true with all the powers, the increases to the skills simply explaining how his better use of them increases their apparent power rather than actually strengthening them.
As to firing off thousands of mana arrows? So far he has only faced mindless and slow foes. He is talking of using higher level IDs now, and I bet he finds things a lot harder against foes capable of actual thought and swift movement. They don't tend to stand around or slowly shamble toward you as you blast at them. :D

Azneas

Azneas

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 38 posts

I think this is intentional. I expect his father is an important character being left for later, or simply doesn't exist anywhere and his mother is making him THINK he has one.

Also intentional. Leveling up doesn't always seem to increase the power of the moves, just their efficiency. We saw that with Mana Shield, that the cost was dropping per rank. I think this is true with all the powers, the increases to the skills simply explaining how his better use of them increases their apparent power rather than actually strengthening them.
As to firing off thousands of mana arrows? So far he has only faced mindless and slow foes. He is talking of using higher level IDs now, and I bet he finds things a lot harder against foes capable of actual thought and swift movement. They don't tend to stand around or slowly shamble toward you as you blast at them. :D

1.  In the first chapter, his dad was in Korea, except for he was just eating out.  The author either retconned it or completely forgot about it and now, the dad that was eating out just a day ago is on a business trip to the U.S.

4.  What I'm saying is that every RPG increases mana cost with increased spell levels.  If not, then that would just result in the player being able to spam a near unlimited amount of spells.  This is the case for him right now.  Worse of all, it also seems like he has no cooldowns.  All that's need is the time taken to say "Spinning Mana Arrow"  All he has to do is find an elevated position and blanket the streets with arrows that have the ability to one-shot zombies.   With that kind of power, he could probably take down multiple legion zombies in a row before they could even get near him. 

Edited by Azneas, 05 March 2014 - 04:04 AM.

nuknuk

nuknuk

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 45 posts

1. His father could have been eating out that night and went on a trip the following one.

2. This could have been a translation error.

3. Translation error or he just forgot to set it. The MC is ignorant of standard game functions even though he is suppose to be an avid gamer.

4. Skill cost does not have to increase with level. This is a random MMO the author invented. The rules can be different to the games you are used to.

moridain

moridain

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 19 posts

I suspect that the spinning mana arrow would bounce off the protections of anyone who actually fights for a living, costing them next to nothing. In the time it takes him to send those ineffective bolts they would use something like flash step to get to him and rip out his heart, since he is a total glass cannon right now without mana shield up.

Just cos you CAN cast endless mana arrows doesn't mean your foe is going to give you time to do so.

Mike the Shadow

Mike the Shadow

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • LocationGermany

Wasnt the "Zombie Hunter" titel something he recieved for killing the Legion Zombie maybe the effect is different and he didnt Change it because of that or he simply forgot about it like he forgot about the skill book he suddenly remembered this chapter 

besides we never saw the gamer changing his titel i dont think the titel changes automatically just because you recieve a new one

Azneas

Azneas

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 38 posts

1. His father could have been eating out that night and went on a trip the following one.

2. This could have been a translation error.

3. Translation error or he just forgot to set it. The MC is ignorant of standard game functions even though he is suppose to be an avid gamer.

4. Skill cost does not have to increase with level. This is a random MMO the author invented. The rules can be different to the games you are used to.

1.  He mentioned that his father is in America a couple days after the night his mom said the dad was eating out.  During this entire duration, we haven't even seen his father even once.  So, unless his dad decided to never be home at the same time as Jee Han, then it's likely the author just retconned it so that his father was on the business trip all along.

2.  The translator notes make it clear that it was the authors/artists' fault.

3.  The MC knew how to set his novice undead hunter title.  It would be unlikely that he would suddenly forget how to do it.

4.  There is a reason why mana costs increase with stronger skills in every single game ever.  Otherwise, it would result in exponential power creep when leveling up.  So assuming that the author has actually played any RPG, it's likely that the author/artist forgot to increase the level. 

Wasnt the "Zombie Hunter" titel something he recieved for killing the Legion Zombie maybe the effect is different and he didnt Change it because of that or he simply forgot about it like he forgot about the skill book he suddenly remembered this chapter 

besides we never saw the gamer changing his titel i dont think the titel changes automatically just because you recieve a new one

I'm just saying it's extremely unlikely that a supposedly avid gamer forgot to change his title.  As for the skill-book, I have a sneaking suspicion that the reason why he forgot to learn as either:

A.  The author forgot about it and just remembered when he was making this chapter.  I

or

B.  The author wanted to save the life drain skill reveal for some bad-ass moment instead of just having him use it while grinding zombies (because the legions zombies would 1-shot him, the only things he can life-drain are the normal zombies).  Hell, I'm not even sure if life drain would even work on zombies (since they're undead).

Actually, I'm fairly certain 1 was what happened seeing as he was excited as hell about the skill book and then forgets about it for a couple days.

Edited by Azneas, 05 March 2014 - 07:15 AM.

Yaomo

Yaomo

Baked Potato

• Donator
  • 1,757 posts
  • Locationwathcing you from some place far away

4.  What I'm saying is that every RPG increases mana cost with increased spell levels.  If not, then that would just result in the player being able to spam a near unlimited amount of spells.  This is the case for him right now.  Worse of all, it also seems like he has no cooldowns.  All that's need is the time taken to say "Spinning Mana Arrow"  All he has to do is find an elevated position and blanket the streets with arrows that have the ability to one-shot zombies.   With that kind of power, he could probably take down multiple legion zombies in a row before they could even get near him. 

i'm pretty sure i've leveled up skills to make them more powerful and get the mana cost down. so i could totally spam them.

that was in a korean mmorpg though.

あっ ちょっと死んじまった

brajt

brajt

Potato Spud

• Contributor
  • 28 posts
  • LocationKraków, Poland

Why would he need any cooldown for such a skill? Is it one of the crucial ones that can let you win an important battle? No, he's just fighting low level mobs that he could easily beat with his club before getting all these skills. This spinning mana arrow may look nice, but it's still just an upgraded form of the very basic mana bolt.

Does "every single game ever" has cooldowns for every single skill? We've already seen that there are cooldowns for more important ones.

Another thing. Are you so sure he's using thousands of them without resting? Is it because the author doesn't let us see it every time he may be taking a break to let his mana regenerate? He's also not showing us the MC taking any break to pee. But does it mean he doesn't need to pee?

If you have played any real RPG game then you surely know the rule of "don't describe every single action your character does repeatably". If you have ever written a short story, theatre play, movie scenario or anything similar, you surely are aware of similar rule for the writers.

Edited by brajt, 05 March 2014 - 01:56 PM.

Culaio29

Culaio29

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 99 posts

Not true, in some games spell/skill grow in power without increasing cost of mana while in other games(skyrim) spell power doesn't increase at higher skill but mana cost decreases, which means cast more spells at same cost, which means more damage to target XD.

Azneas

Azneas

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 38 posts

Why would he need any cooldown for such a skill? Is it one of the crucial ones that can let you win an important battle? No, he's just fighting low level mobs that he could easily beat with his club before getting all these skills. This spinning mana arrow may look nice, but it's still just an upgraded form of the very basic mana bolt.

Another thing. Are you so sure he's using thousands of them without resting? Is it because the author doesn't let us see it every time he may be taking a break to let his mana regenerate? He's also not showing us the MC taking any break to pee. But does it mean he doesn't need to pee?

If you have played any real RPG game then you surely know the rule of "don't describe every single action your character does repeatably". If you have ever written a short story, theatre play, movie scenario or anything similar, you surely are aware of similar rule for the writers.

He has 1300 mana the last time we saw it (probably higher now that he leveled up).  Each mana arrow spell costs 6 mana and makes 3 arrows.  This means he can fire off 650* arrows with his mana pool alone (not counting mana regen).  Also, now that he hit level 12 in mana arrows (assuming he gets an extra arrow every 3 arrows which seems reasonable), he can now fire off at least 867 mana arrows at once.  

Assuming he can fire as quickly as he can speak, that means he can fire 4 mana arrows (each with enough destructive powers to punch a hole through a tree) every second.  More "theorycrafting" if you want it:

Spoiler

So, like I was saying, although this isn't an inconsistency, the author probably didn't think this through very well. 

*And yes, I misremembered how many arrows he could fire.  650 is still a freaking lot though. 

Edited by Azneas, 06 March 2014 - 02:30 AM.

Yaomo

Yaomo

Baked Potato

• Donator
  • 1,757 posts
  • Locationwathcing you from some place far away

mana arrow is something he should be able to spam pretty well. legion zombie is probably the lowest level boss, shouldn't take too long to kill when he one-shots ordinary zombies. i don't see the inconsistency in this at all.

あっ ちょっと死んじまった

God of LoL

God of LoL

Sweet Potato

• Members
  • 10,556 posts
  • LocationIn the Bato.cave.
Plus, the Legion Zombie could have higher armor or one of its higher stats increases its defense.
So what is worth of 800 minimum damage against your every day zombie might be a maximum of 400 against the boss.

kfi6l.jpg