Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Naver Speed View - What it is, and why is it there

Naver Webtoon Speed View

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Random-Webtoon-Fan

Random-Webtoon-Fan

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 3,395 posts
Some of you might have noticed Webtoons are now being uploaded all at once and a bit earlier.

(They used to upload at uncertain few minutes after 23:00, but now 22:55 in GMT 9, timeline of Korea)

But it requires you to download a certain program called 'Speed View' and turning it on.

******************************************************************************************************************************

What is it?

They say it will takes some bit of users connection to make temporary server.

In short, they are making you use grid computing to read Webtoons.

******************************************************************************************************************************

Why is it here?

They say Webtoons have been putting stress to Naver's servers when they are released.

So now they are using some program to use some of reader's network as Webtoon's server.

(It is usable by for those who read by Windows and IE, Chrome, Firefox)

Now, they claim it will not affect user's computer much, but Naver's programs have been disputed about their safety.

What should you do?

Personally, I recommend not downloading it.

They will be viewable without Speed View after half a hour. (23:30 in Korean time.)

So it is not worth downloading a program that is uncertified yet. Have some patience and wait a bit.

P.S. If you can, copy this and show it to any people who are reading raw.

Edited by Random-Webtoon-Fan, 07 February 2014 - 12:27 AM.

Mizura

Mizura

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 4,851 posts

Whoa, I actually never noticed it. :S

Well, I'm using Linux at home to read the raws anyway, I kind of doubt they have a Linux version. xD I feel bad for contributing to their server strain though, since I'm among those constantly refreshing for Kubera and Tower of God when the time comes. >_>

Thanks for informing us! :D

3492bk6.jpg

Kubera stuff: Character charts , Races and Cities , The finite (official side novel) ,
Official English Webtoons: https://www.webtoons.com

themantarays

themantarays

~A Majestic Ray of Light in the Dark of the Internet~ ☼_☼

• Comic Mods
  • 1,933 posts

... So an additional half-hour wait? Ah, it's going to be so annoying in the ToG raw threads now - those one or two people are going to know what's happening before the rest of us.... :(

Lerciolas

Lerciolas

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 89 posts
  • LocationTrieste

Well, I'm using Linux at home to read the raws anyway, I kind of doubt they have a Linux version. xD I feel bad for contributing to their server strain though, since I'm among those constantly refreshing for Kubera and Tower of God when the time comes. >_>

Thanks for informing us! :D

Wow, another Linux user :)

I'm usually at work when Kubera is published, so no way I'm able to stress their servers. I'd like to give the Grid reader a try, but not on my work pc...

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH, STROMAE!

Random-Webtoon-Fan

Random-Webtoon-Fan

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 3,395 posts

Yes, it seems to work for only Windows at the moment.

asdasd

asdasd

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 404 posts

Tnx for the info.

I think to use Sandboxie for this will be safe.

Edited by asdasd, 07 February 2014 - 12:44 AM.

Mizura

Mizura

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 4,851 posts

... by the way, am I the only one who finds it weird that a Korean company has server bandwidth issues? o,o

3492bk6.jpg

Kubera stuff: Character charts , Races and Cities , The finite (official side novel) ,

Random-Webtoon-Fan

Random-Webtoon-Fan

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 3,395 posts

... by the way, am I the only one who finds it weird that a Korean company has server bandwidth issues? o,o

Not really, since we have so much connection to the internet about everywhere in cities, server break happens now and then.

And naver Webtoons have been getting attention from all over the county and now unexpected foreign fans refreshing every sec.

Imo, they really should have addressed the prob with adding some budget to server rather then give us somewhat risky software. :/

Mizura

Mizura

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 4,851 posts

.... oh. So basically, part of it is our fault. xD xD xD

3492bk6.jpg

Readingfish

Readingfish

Potato

• Members
  • 134 posts
Hahaha, SpeedView didn't last even a whole month.
Due to some obvious reasons, they are discontinuing the SpeedView feature/program/system as of Feb 28 evening, Korean time.
Detailed info + FAQ and Naver's statement at the following link:

http://comic.naver.com/notice.nhn?docId=10000000000029775482

Mizura

Mizura

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 4,851 posts

lol, that didn't last long. x'D

I wonder what they'll do then.

3492bk6.jpg