Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

More Translation Errors...

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Random Translator

Random Translator

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 2 posts

I wasn't going to say anything, but after reading the magazine for a while, and poking around the 'speed' scanlations, I noticed there were plenty of errors in their script. I'll just leave this here then.

Chapter 20 Translation Errors

Page 4:

It’s creepy, somehow… 

Somehow is not part of the sentence. He clearly says “it was creepy/weird”. Adding somehow changes the tone of the sentence.

Page 5

We were on bad terms.

Past tense was not used. Shouya is referring to her in the present. They don’t get along, not now. We don’t just get along. Besides, they used to be on good terms in the past - why would he make an encompassing statement like that? This connects to a statement he says later in the chapter - that's not how it always was in the past.

Page 6

Could it be…

What are you trying to say here? The phrase here means “as you’d expect”. He’s not asking whether or not it could be - he’s saying there’s no way things would turn out like that.

But…I used to be like Ueno…

No. There is no past tense here. He says “I’m just like Ueno.” This is referring to the fact that he was an asshole to Nishimiya in the past, but he’s getting along with her now. The implication is that “things MIGHT work out”.

Wouldn’t it be better if they make up and hang out?

NItpicking, but he doesn’t say it’ll be better, he says Wouldn’t it be wonderful/great

Page 7

garagara (sfx)

Nitpicking. That’s the sound of a door sliding sideways, not of a chime. Not all doors have chimes on them.

Page 9

So this’s a cat café…

Nitpicking: Yes, it is. But kind of awkwardly phrased. So it was a cat café… reinforces the fact that he thought it was a cosplay café at first. It also links to the implied phrase [ So the place we thought was a cosplay café was a cat café…]

Duh.

Not close to what he’s saying. He’s expressing his slight disappointment at her not being there. Huh. “Duh” makes him sound like an ass, and that he KNEW that she wouldn’t be here.

Page 10

My eyes get itchy with cats around too,

MIssing word. She says that they get itchy sometimes.

with a little M spirit

What is that? Why not simply write a little masochistic? Then you wouldn’t have to explain what “M” is. 

Page 11

A cat might look like she’s trying to charm you…

She doesn’t say that the cat’s trying to charm you. The literal translation is “show you that they are fawning on you”. They aren’t trying to make the human like them, they’re trying to show the human that they’re cute and loving.

Page 12

I didn’t know her well enough to describe her…

He’s not using past tense. He’s talking about her in the present. I don’t know her well enough to describe her…

I was always awkward with her…

“Nigate” doesn’t mean awkward. The word can also mean that two people don’t get along. It’s commonly used to say ‘I don’t like this thing’ without outright saying “I hate this thing”. And I wouldn’t say things were awkward between him, not from the past we saw before, the past he shows us now, and the line that comes next!  And…I just don’t get along with her…

Page 13

Gimme a break, Ishida, and just leave it alone!

Where does she say all this? The literal translation is “Jeez, you don’t have to do it, Ishida!” which would be trnaslated properly as “Jeez, I’ll just do it!” since she, well, is.

She was so beautiful and kind, she was popular.

Nitpick: you left out a “probably”. She was probably so popular because she was so beautiful and kind.

Page 15

We’ll give you a free neko-chan pouch as a souvenir.

Why didn’t you just put “kitty pouch”? You’re translating the manga. Don’t leave random Japanese words in there.

Page 16

Well, in my opinion, Ueno-san (liked) you, Shouya…

While I think it’s a clever way to hide what he means, it’s still revealing too much. You’re also bound to confuse some people. Well, if you ask me, I think that Ueno-san probably had a crush on… // Nah, it’s nothing.

I didn’t meet Ueno today. That feels like fate telling me I shouldn't go looking for her.

Fate isn’t telling him that he shouldn’t go looking for her. Fate’s telling him he doesn’t need to see/meet her.

I think that’s the end of it.

He’s not stating anything definitively. Well, I figured it was alright/didn’t matter anyway… He doesn’t say things are the end. End to what? Looking for her? But that wasn’t what the last bubble was saying, so…?

Page 19

Neko-chan pouch!

We discussed this already. Translate things properly.

Your’e so lucky, Nagatsuka-kun!

He’s not saying he’s lucky. He’s saying “man, what a good thing to happen to him!” Saying “you’re so lucky” gives off an air that Shouya’s kind of unhappy not to be receiving it himself. W…way to go, man!

It looks like one problem this group is frequently having is the overtranslation of phrases. They translate a phrase, then decide to 'localize' it or give it flavor - flavor that changes the entire meaning of the sentence. Translation is a delicate art, and adding one word can change the feeling of something entirely. Nagatsuka coming off as an ass when he was really just being lazy and bored. Shouya making statements that are supposed to reflect the current him, not the past him. The group needs to start paying attention to the things that are written in the Japanese, because they usually have a point of being there in that tense, with that specific wording - especially in a manga like this.

Most of the errors are likely due to their translating them lightning-fast. They need to slow down, really find out what the manga's trying to say, and then have another go at it.

Sorry to kick the hornet's nest, but there's only so much I can stand witness to before having to say something. Let's see some more thought go into this series, okay?

ThunderCloud

ThunderCloud

Potato Spud

• Contributor
  • 10 posts

I wasn't going to say anything, but after reading the magazine for a while, and poking around the 'speed' scanlations, I noticed there were plenty of errors in their script. I'll just leave this here then.

Chapter 20 Translation Errors

I think you meant chapter 19.

I took a look at chapter 20 and complied a list of how the translation could be improved. Everyone makes mistakes (there are parts with FwPA translations that could be improved too), but it would be more respectful to the source materials and the readers if more care and attention was put in.

P. 1

Text: いいえ、フィクションです!!

Translated as: Not translated

Comment: The author’s responded to his “This is my reality!” With “Nope, it’s fiction!!”

2nd panel

Japanese: 本当に貰ったの?それ

Translated as: Was it really addressed to you?

Comment: Addressed is a poor choice of word here as it wasn’t addressed to anyone. “Did you really get that?” “Was that really for you?” Would’ve be better.

2nd panel

Comment: The translation note about うんこ頭 meaning bun head is dubious at best. Nagatsuka doesn’t even have his hair in buns; it’s probably just curly. Just leave it alone as poop head or shit head because that's what Yuzuru's been calling him.

Japanese: 汗!!

Translated as: Smelly, sweaty!!

Comment: She didn’t actually say he smells, just sweaty.

Japanese: カツアゲーー!!カツアゲーー!!

Translated as: A bully! She’s a bully!!

Comment: Should be “I’m being robbed / extorted!”

Japanese: なんかくれるのかなぁ

Translated as: She’s giving me something, huh~?

Comment: Correct translation: Wonder if she’s giving me something...

J: ながつかくん 帰っていいよ? 頼まれたの俺だし

T: You can just go home first. She asked me for help, not you.

C: The tone came out quite different here, as if Shouya doesn’t want him there. I’d translate it as, “You can go home first if you want. She only asked me to help.”

Panel 2-4

J:

は?この前会ったじゃん

猫耳の

つっこんでくれるとおもってたんだけど

T:

Hah? you saw me last time. || I think I was || wearing cat ears.

Comment:

- Let’s start with how I’d translate it:

Huh? We met not long ago right? || That time with the cat ears. || I thought I’d get a reaction out of you. (I thought you’d make a witty remark about them.)

The third bubble about tsukkomi was completely not translated. The "I think I was" part was not in the original text.

Panel 4

Japanese: あーあれ! そーだったの?

Translated as: Oh, that one! So it was you?

Comment: What one? Also, “so it was you?” Implies that he didn’t recognize her which was not in the original text. What Ishida was doing here was being really vague and evasive. I’d translate it as, “Oh… That! Is… that right?”

Panel 5

J: 会えてよかったよ

Translated as: Nice meeting you

Comment: You wouldn’t say “nice meeting you” to someone you’ve met before. ”It was good seeing you” would’ve been more appropriate.

page 17

J: まあ 別に… なんとも…

T: Well, not really… I’m cool…

C: Would’ve been ok “I’m cool…” was left out. Because that just sounds extremely, extremely, extremely awkward and not part of the original text.

J: 私の知ってる石田は

はっきりと 「嫌い」って 言っちゃう奴 なんだけとうなー

T: The ishida I know would say, “I hate you”, when he means it.

C: The “when he means it” part wasn’t in the original Japanese phrase. I’d translate this as, “the Ishida I know would clearly say ‘I hate you.’”

Page 18

J: あ…ああ

T: Oh… I think so.

C: How did “Ah… Aaah.” Get translated to “I think so”?

J: 相変わらずひとりなところとか

T: She’s still all alone like before.

C: Better translation would be “Like how she’s still all alone.” Also, "still" + "like before" feels redundant.

J: ねっ

T: Right?

C: I’m pretty sure Ishida spoke in that bubble, not Ueno. He was trying to interrupt her trash talking. So, “Hey…”

J: もうやめよーぜ そーゆーの

T: You better stop that.

C: The tone came out wrong. The tone he’s using is more of a “come on, man, cut that out. How old are you?” He’s not being forceful with her. “You should stop acting like that” or “You should stop saying stuff like that.” would be more appropriate.

Next chapter preview translation was missing.

Edited by ThunderCloud, 12 January 2014 - 03:25 PM.

anonymous preferred

anonymous preferred

Potato

• Donator
  • 170 posts

I'm entirely sure if it's you or not, but if you're who I think you are, nice to see you again. Thank you for constructive feedback. I'll get to apply your changes after speaking to my proofreader first.

@ThunderCloud

Thank you for your corrections. I've learned a lot from you! =D Expect v3 sooner or later.

Random Translator

Random Translator

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 2 posts

I'm entirely sure if it's you or not, but if you're who I think you are, nice to see you again. Thank you for constructive feedback. I'll get to apply your changes after speaking to my proofreader first.

@ThunderCloud

Thank you for your corrections. I've learned a lot from you! =D Expect v3 sooner or later.

Not sure who you're talking about. It's the first time I've decided to post anything.

Please tell your translator to slow down, and that it's okay to spend some time looking up what things mean. The line TC pointed out on page 15 of 20 really got me going. I'm glad he posted his 20 before I started on mine.

That whole line was completely fabricated by the translator. It wasn't what was written at all. Translators should never just make stuff up - they should find out what a line means, even if it means it takes a while to get it right.

Just tell them to be careful, alright? 

anonymous preferred

anonymous preferred

Potato

• Donator
  • 170 posts

Not sure who you're talking about. It's the first time I've decided to post anything.

Please tell your translator to slow down, and that it's okay to spend some time looking up what things mean. The line TC pointed out on page 15 of 20 really got me going. I'm glad he posted his 20 before I started on mine.

That whole line was completely fabricated by the translator. It wasn't what was written at all. Translators should never just make stuff up - they should find out what a line means, even if it means it takes a while to get it right.

Just tell them to be careful, alright? 

I thought you were from http://shark0week0.watashi.biz/ I guess I was in the wrong. My bad.

I used a version of c20 that I found on Share (which was apparently translated from a chinese leak or something) and overlooked page 15 when I made a revision later.

Well, there's a reason to why it's a pre-release. Keep up with your constructive feedback. People like you TLC it for me, and I appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Blue Flaming Wings

Blue Flaming Wings

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 358 posts
  • LocationCalifornia, USA

I ... I need to be the voice of dissent here. While it does seem that Random Translator just wants to help and that anonymous preferred is taking the constructive criticism well, I have to say that I don't see much of a difference, if any, between the current translations and the corrected ones - besides tenses, of course. Maybe it comes from being a native English speaker but I feel that so long as the grammar isn't horrendous and the idea is delivered than I don't truly care if the translation is "perfect" given that there is always debate and wiggle room when going from one language to another. So long as the translator doesn't just make stuff up and the sentence conveyed is both good English and gets the message across than I'll be happy with it.

Of course, this is just my two cents on the matter. I assume everyone has their own opinions.

Because I've gotten tired of people trying to hire me to write ...

keoss

keoss

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 21 posts

I ... I need to be the voice of dissent here. While it does seem that Random Translator just wants to help and that anonymous preferred is taking the constructive criticism well, I have to say that I don't see much of a difference, if any, between the current translations and the corrected ones - besides tenses, of course. Maybe it comes from being a native English speaker but I feel that so long as the grammar isn't horrendous and the idea is delivered than I don't truly care if the translation is "perfect" given that there is always debate and wiggle room when going from one language to another. So long as the translator doesn't just make stuff up and the sentence conveyed is both good English and gets the message across than I'll be happy with it.

Of course, this is just my two cents on the matter. I assume everyone has their own opinions.

If you really look into character profile development (which I do), than these translation "error" indeed need some care. Personally, I find these error corrections necessary and some of them could be critical.

anonymous preferred

anonymous preferred

Potato

• Donator
  • 170 posts

@keoss

Sorry for my inconsiderations. All of the TL errors are my faults (even though my proofreader worked hard to back me up).

I'm working on the interview page from c21. Once it's done, I'll let Alad update c19-21.

Edited by anonymous preferred, 22 January 2014 - 02:15 PM.

keoss

keoss

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 21 posts

@keoss

Sorry for my inconsiderations. All of the TL errors are my faults (even though my proofreader worked hard to back me up).

I'm working on the interview page from c21. Once it's done, I'll let Alad update c19-21.

Oh don't feel too bad about it. I feel good and grateful enough that you guys are putting effort into making this possible already.

But as Random Translator and ThunderCloud suggested, it will be even more awesome if you put more time into the translation. Take it slow and chill.

Best luck!

Edited by keoss, 23 January 2014 - 06:32 PM.