Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

[How to] Action Lines

tutorial tut guide action lines action lines line graphics

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Solipsist

Solipsist

Potato

• Members
  • 171 posts

One day I had to make for myself some 'action lines' we all know so much from anime, and after fooling around in photoshop for a few minutes I figured out this effect is shockingly simple to make.

Spoiler

So since this effect is so darn bloody simple, here's a flimsy excuse of a slideshow to accommodate it:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Lazily put together, but you hopefully you caught my drift.
Someone here once told me nobody uses "catch my drift" anymore..Hmm...Carrying on.

Edited by Solipsist, 28 December 2013 - 01:34 PM.

Viscoun

Viscoun

Couch Potato

• VisTrans
  • 2,095 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Lazily put together, but you hopefully you caught my drift.

Someone here once told me nobody uses "catch my drift" anymore..Hmm...Carrying on.

your drift was indeed caught.

great tutorial, though as a complete photoshop newbie and non-practicing graphic artist (aka i suck at drawing), i have no idea what i'll use it for XD

OchaMeido❣

OchaMeido❣

The Head Maid

• Contrib Mods
  • 1,728 posts
  • Location@ the Greenhouse Tea Party~

>

your drift was indeed caught.

great tutorial, though as a complete photoshop newbie and non-practicing graphic artist (aka i suck at drawing), i have no idea what i'll use it for XD

>......> definitely not true since you are an scanlator ~ 

You use them as you use it anywhere.. They usually are in background so even if there is mistake , no one will notice much x'D

ןן Tea Party~ ןן "THE BAR" ןן

ןןGuide to Uploading/deltin/sortin ןן

ןן[Must read] COMMENT SECTIONS RULES ן

Follow the comment sections' rules or else, you will be hanging at the edge of an cliff ^^
It maybe one step closer to death's door or an extension of your life's time.

watsu

watsu

Potato

• Members
  • 127 posts

Nice technique, will have to remember this for later. It works better than traditional lines which are a bit too sharp for less "flat" stuff. for something that looks more comic-bookey, there is also a method using paths and some custom brush settings that's equally as easy.

h99.png

Solipsist

Solipsist

Potato

• Members
  • 171 posts

....Then you're welcome to spread this to your peers whom do require this effect. I browsed the interbrowsz after posting this tutorial to see how much this effect was abused...And to my bewilderment, there was only one tutorial I could find, mirrored across multiple times.. And it sucked so much...
I assume this effect hides somewhere at some Mangaka-community, but I sure couldn't find it. o_o

@watsu

As I mentioned previously, the only tut I found imbibed lecherously quite hard; as you mentioned, this effect can be accomplished with a particular brush-setting, and I assume you meant what that tutorial was referring to; the Fade property in the brush.
If you could address how to perform this effect with Paths (pentool I believe), which is "oh so simple", do tell. Because to me it sounds like quite the manual labor.

watsu

watsu

Potato

• Members
  • 127 posts

....Then you're welcome to spread this to your peers whom do require this effect. I browsed the interbrowsz after posting this tutorial to see how much this effect was abused...And to my bewilderment, there was only one tutorial I could find, mirrored across multiple times.. And it sucked so much...
I assume this effect hides somewhere at some Mangaka-community, but I sure couldn't find it. o_o

@watsu

As I mentioned previously, the only tut I found imbibed lecherously quite hard; as you mentioned, this effect can be accomplished with a particular brush-setting, and I assume you meant what that tutorial was referring to; the Fade property in the brush.
If you could address how to perform this effect with Paths (pentool I believe), which is "oh so simple", do tell. Because to me it sounds like quite the manual labor.

The method is noted here: http://katycoope.blogspot.com/2008/05/creating-speedlines-on-photoshop-part-1.html

The creation of the brush is not very difficult as it's essentially just stretching a triangle and creating a preset for it. To create the zoom-in style, part two describes how you use a circular path stroke to accomplish it.

The main issue with this technique is that it looks somewhat odd if you want a line that doesn't extend from the outer panel and it's the hard, sharp style from comics. But, since this uses a brush preset as opposed to a radial blur filter, it gives you a bit more flexibility on how you want the lines to be arranged and size variability (which you can control in brush settings). You can also put in a bit more time and effort to customize the line, such as tapering the flat end to solve the issue with positioning in the inner panel.

of course, it's still a cheat. doing lines yourself will provide the most flexibility and control over the look, but it's hard enough doing speed lines on paper let alone manually on the computer (perhaps less so if you have a tablet).

Edited by watsu, 29 December 2013 - 09:28 AM.

h99.png

Solipsist

Solipsist

Potato

• Members
  • 171 posts

My, oh my...I have no idea why it didn't occur to me to use Shapes like that myself...
Hmm...Yes, this tech is better when making very stylized works and some sharp effects, like solar-flare I imagine...Weh, this is a game changer for me when it comes to comic-esque scenes. Kudos on the find, man.

That being said, I will probably keep on using my method with my works; beyond the stacks of reasons as why that is, the reason that 'IT'S MINE!' is enough. <:
Of course, I'm not wanking my virtual phallus here; just sharin'. <:  Cheers for the share.

P.S: Ah, yes. Heh. This entire business is indeed a "cheat"...I'm a slacker myself, and it manifests in my attempts to find the simplest way out when possible; unless I'm enjoying myself too much. *cough*, I cannot imagine doing this entire thing by hand, myself....And from the small glimpse I had over manga-effects, they seem to use transparent stickers / paper over their works in order to create the effects and chat-bubbles. I assume there is a traditional way to create action-lines with an actual brush...But I cannot even fathom the possibility of being THAT precise with a brush, let alone on a wacom o_0.. 

Edited by Solipsist, 29 December 2013 - 08:51 PM.

watsu

watsu

Potato

• Members
  • 127 posts

My, oh my...I have no idea why it didn't occur to me to use Shapes like that myself...
Hmm...Yes, this tech is better when making very stylized works and some sharp effects, like solar-flare I imagine...Weh, this is a game changer for me when it comes to comic-esque scenes. Kudos on the find, man.

That being said, I will probably keep on using my method with my works; beyond the stacks of reasons as why that is, the reason that 'IT'S MINE!' is enough. <:
Of course, I'm not wanking my virtual phallus here; just sharin'. <:  Cheers for the share.

P.S: Ah, yes. Heh. This entire business is indeed a "cheat"...I'm a slacker myself, and it manifests in my attempts to find the simplest way out when possible; unless I'm enjoying myself too much. *cough*, I cannot imagine doing this entire thing by hand, myself....And from the small glimpse I had over manga-effects, they seem to use transparent stickers / paper over their works in order to create the effects and chat-bubbles. I assume there is a traditional way to create action-lines with an actual brush...But I cannot even fathom the possibility of being THAT precise with a brush, let alone on a wacom o_0.. 

There are probably screen tones now with speed lines, but like these cheat effects, they're limited in use because you don't have full control of the lines. I believe on paper, people stick a thumbtack in the focal point, then line up a ruler to it while rotating the paper. I also think it'd be very difficult with a brush, but I suppose if you could figure out a way to taper the line, it might be easier as photoshop allows you to draw straight lines easily with the shift key. I guess if you can do it on paper, you can do it on a wacom...anyone around that can enlighten us on the subject?

h99.png