Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Non-Human Title

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Zalliss

Zalliss

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 6 posts

Over the years different words have been used to indicate those that are not human. My question is what is your favorite word? I'm not asking what is right or wrong I'm asking for an opinion.

The options I remember are:

Youkai

Ayashi

Monster

Demon

Creature

My favorite is Ayashi.

Don't hesitate to mention one I forgot.

Wenn du lange in einen Abgrund blickst,

blickt der Abgrund auch in dich hinein.

Harbinger

Harbinger

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 75 posts

You forgot witches- they are apparently a category on their own because they are somwehat between humans and youkai (they hate humans though because of the witch hunts)

It was mentioned in the chapter back in season 1 when Yukari was introduced

Looking for translated light novels?

Baka - Tsuki

There are MANY translated light novels, including Highschool DxD, Toaru Majutsu no index, Infinite Stratos, Seirei tsukai no kenbu AND Date a live (the Manga adaption of which got cancelled after chapter 6)

Zalliss

Zalliss

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 6 posts

You forgot witches- they are apparently a category on their own because they are somwehat between humans and youkai (they hate humans though because of the witch hunts)

It was mentioned in the chapter back in season 1 when Yukari was introduced

Exactly. They're the third category. Ayashi/Youkai/Whatever, Human, and Witch. Sorry I meant what Moka, Kurumu, and Mizore are that Yukari is not. Now that I reread it I think the question is a bit vague. 

Wenn du lange in einen Abgrund blickst,

blickt der Abgrund auch in dich hinein.

kaiserseele

kaiserseele

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 6 posts

i prefer youkai because it covers most of the "monsters"

ayashi are spirits, demons are a subset, monsters seems to bland and western, and creature just makes me think of like snails and other forest critters

Evan Dark

Evan Dark

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 202 posts
  • LocationThe Tower 1F, drinking with Headon-nim

You missed out some.

Youkai, Ayakashi and Ayashi - all means monsters/creatures, but there are slight differences

Oni, and Akuma - both are demons, with Oni being the japanese demon, and Akuma is a more general evil being

Yuurei and Serei - ghosts and spirits, with yuurei being someone who was human before, and Serei is a spirit of nature

Kami and Megami - God and goddess

Shiou and Maou - King of Gods and King of Demons (Shuffle anyone?)

I prefer Ayakashi, it sounds just about rigth.

"I looked into the TARDIS, and the TARDIS looked into me..." - Rose Tyler (Bad Wolf)

Helz

Helz

Potato

• Members
  • 196 posts

Prefer Ayakashi or Youkai since they give more manga like feeling, though I dont mind if they use Monster or Demon for some if its meant to give direction of the area they originate.