Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Quatali'll? Quarter?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

alittleliar

alittleliar

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 2 posts
I've been reading the original korean webcomic recently, and realised that there's been some confusion over the 'Quatali'll' mentioned in Chapter 2. Since I read the english translation first then decided to try reading the original with my rather poor korean, I got confused when the Korean original webcomic began talking about 'Quarters'.

In the world of 'Kubera', there are, as explained, Gods, Humans, and 'Shura' (translated as 'Asura' here). And then there are 'Halfs' - children born between the relationship of a Shura and Human.
Then there are 'Quarters' - children born between the relationship of a Half and a Human.
'Halfs' usually have some physical traits and powers of their Shura mother or father, and they age 4 times slower than humans. E.g, if a Half was 80 years old, he'd only look 20 years old.
'Quarters' on the other hand, almost always look physically human. In fact I think the only thing different about them from humans is that fact that they age 2 times slower than humans (EDIT: It appears that they also have some measure of abilities from their Shura grandmother or grandfather, but not as strong as what a Half would have). E.g, if a Quarter was 40 years old, she'd only look 20 years old.

In chapter two of the english translation- our heroine Kubera/Leez...or something talks about whether the blue skinned guy (Gandharava..? Gosh difficult names :P) is human or Quatali'll or half - in reality she's wondering whether he is a Quarter or a Half - as she's deduced that he's not humans cause he's.....well.....blue.

EDIT: I'm not too sure exactly what the law about Halfs and Quarters are. Slavery involving Halfs has been shown, and it's been mentioned that Halfs are not protected by the law. However it appears that Quarters, on the other hand, are. Also, different parts of the world appear to have different ideas or viewpoints on Halfs - some are more hostile whilst others are much kinder.

So yeah. Hope this might clear up some things. The thing about Halfs and Quarters gets rather important later on so...

Trebor

Trebor

Voice to the Voiceless

• Administrators
  • 1,918 posts
  • LocationUSA
We're way past chapter 2 at this point, but I'll bring this to the attention of Team Kubera, who will... do something... with this info. Thank you for your insightful post. :)
Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri Yuri

Cala

Cala

Potato

• The Company (inactive)
  • 149 posts
  • LocationCanada
Hi there!

Thank you very much for this information! While it is too late for us to alter Chapter 2, we are always very appreciative of the extra details that our Korean friends have access to. Kubera has plenty of strange terminology and religion that is certainly a challenge to convert to English and still make sense! You have definitely saved us a bit of research and a few headaches when the issue of quarters resurfaces!

PS Sorry for the belated response! We're a busy crew these days. >.>

Posted Image

Cloudspawn, you're the coolest:

Spoiler

Heron

Heron

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 86 posts
Umm, hello @ the translators. I like the terms the OP introduced to us, especially "Shura". I think it would sound better than either "Asura" or "Sura" even though it is basically the same thing. ^^

Tohan

Tohan

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 29 posts
  • LocationNew Delhi
I am from India...and knowing how our mythology goes...I think Sura is better than Shura.
Actually...In Indian Myth:
gods :> Sura (not 'God' but 'god')
the counter side :> Asura/Rakshasa
But well...since Currygom has mainly taken the wordings only and some gods very close in characterization to their original counterparts....I think sura is still good enough and easier to relate to.

Edited by Tohan, 10 September 2012 - 08:23 AM.

Heron

Heron

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 86 posts

I am from India...and knowing how our mythology goes...I think Sura is better than Shura.
Actually...In Indian Myth:
gods :> Sura (not 'God' but 'god')
the counter side :> Asura/Rakshasa
But well...since Currygom has mainly taken the wordings only and some gods very close in characterization to their original counterparts....I think sura is still good enough and easier to relate to.

*sobs sobs*

I would have liked Shura because it sounded easier to pronounce and closer to Japanese/Korean/English vocals. But I guess that is a no-no. >.>"

Edited by Heron, 11 September 2012 - 03:59 PM.

Ivy

Ivy

Potato

• Contributor
  • 154 posts
I know it's not exactly related to the subject of this thread, but I was thinking a bit about the use of honorifics in Kubera and I have some questions.
From the way she talks, Asha seems to be the one who talks more formally and uses more honorifics. In the raws, she uses the honorific -ssi with Ran, which means she views him as an equal, but I think he doesn't use them when talking to Asha? (I'm not sure about this).
Also, I was wondering if Leez or Yuta use honorifics when talking to her, or if they consider her closest enough not to use them? I thought it was very rude of a younger person to address someone older without using honorifics... though Yuta is indeed older than all of them. :P

Spoiler

DoAru

DoAru

Russet Potato

• The Company
  • 224 posts
  • LocationSeoul, the soul of Korea.

I know it's not exactly related to the subject of this thread, but I was thinking a bit about the use of honorifics in Kubera and I have some questions.
From the way she talks, Asha seems to be the one who talks more formally and uses more honorifics. In the raws, she uses the honorific -ssi with Ran, which means she views him as an equal, but I think he doesn't use them when talking to Asha? (I'm not sure about this).
Also, I was wondering if Leez or Yuta use honorifics when talking to her, or if they consider her closest enough not to use them? I thought it was very rude of a younger person to address someone older without using honorifics... though Yuta is indeed older than all of them. :P

Ran is very informal with his speech, he calls asha hey, dude, or you mostly. lol
leez calls asha just plain asha, which is sort of rude... but better than ran. Yuta uses honorifics to ran and asha, i think.

Battradio asked me to make a list of honorifics, but i kinda forgot.... ◑△◑

battradio

battradio

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 957 posts
  • LocationNear ST. Louis MO USA

Battradio asked me to make a list of honorifics, but i kinda forgot.... ◑△◑

If i tell you how wonderfull your are for doing it in the first placed will it help you remember :D .

Ivy

Ivy

Potato

• Contributor
  • 154 posts
Thank you so much, Kareia!

*facepalm* Really, Ran... a bit of politeness never killed anyone, even if you actually dislike that person. :(

I once read in a blog written by a Korean that not using honorifics when talking to an older person was almost as rude as slapping that person in the face, so that's why I was asking if Leez used honorifics when talking to her. Is it really so rude to do so?

But... if Leez started calling Asha "nuna" and Ran finally knew Asha's a girl, then maybe Ran would think Asha is a lesbian. xDDD

Spoiler