Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Yuri anime - why not make it more intense?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

veraya

veraya

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 43 posts
  • LocationDepths of Hell

Do you also feel like yuri animes are causing diabetes? There is just too much sugar and not enough story and intense passion.. As if women were only able to love each other so romantically that they find it of no importance to even start kissing :D

Is watching two women kissing that controversial? So why is it that it's a no problem watching two guys kissing?

:-> Just wondering..

Valsie

Valsie

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 517 posts
  • LocationIn the hands of none.

You brought up a very interesting point. Indeed, I have yet to see a truly passionate Yuri series.

Compared to Yaoi, Yuri is way too "soft". I wonder what's the take on this, though I doubt it's caused by controversy. 

I am a deconstruction of the moe genre.

Rol

Rol

Oui Purée

• Donator
  • 3,270 posts

I guess it's because Yuri fans loves Yuri for the sweetness, the romance, etc... so the authors focuse on this.

wtjpw658v4xz.gif

Valsie

Valsie

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 517 posts
  • LocationIn the hands of none.

I guess it's because Yuri fans loves Yuri for the sweetness, the romance, etc... so the authors focuse on this.

I don't think this is much of a reason, since Yuri itself isn't referring to just the "sweet I-love-you" scenes. It's supposed

to overstep that boundary and go right into physical contact. Otherwise it'd just be classified as Shoujo Ai, so the fans

wouldn't be called 'Yuri fans', but 'Shoujo Ai fans' instead. Much like how-

Shounen Ai = Does not overstep the boundary into physical contact(except for a kiss or so)

Yaoi = Oversteps the boundary right into sex and that sorta stuff.

I am a deconstruction of the moe genre.

OMGWTFBBQPONIES

OMGWTFBBQPONIES

Equine non grata

• Members
  • 3,853 posts
  • LocationSan Escobar

Intense passion? Unless you're complaining specifically about those.

There's the same amount of controversy between girlxgirl and guyxguy and I doubt Japan cares much about that. The reason why kissing is not as common as you'd want, sometimes even to the point of"you're my 100th sex partner, but I won't let you take my first kiss".

Mod-in-Disguise

FlQCNQa.gif

You <3

Whoever decided to delete this was an idiot.

| Handwritten kanji recognition || KanjiTomo || Kanji converter || J<->E Dictionary |

Crouching Bacon

Crouching Bacon

Fried Potato

• Donator
  • 528 posts

I don't think this is much of a reason, since Yuri itself isn't referring to just the "sweet I-love-you" scenes. It's supposed

to overstep that boundary and go right into physical contact. Otherwise it'd just be classified as Shoujo Ai, so the fans

wouldn't be called 'Yuri fans', but 'Shoujo Ai fans' instead. Much like how-

Shounen Ai = Does not overstep the boundary into physical contact(except for a kiss or so)

Yaoi = Oversteps the boundary right into sex and that sorta stuff.

I agree with this point.

If you're looking for something hardcore, anime may not be the best place to find it. Manga could cater to wider tastes, methinks.

Also, if it's severe gore/violence, then I guess the taboo against hitting/mutilating women comes into play.

It seems that the genre is more likely to focus on the relationships than the actual sex. I'm generalizing here [so please don't throw potatoes at me or anything D: ] but I think that people expect Yaoi to have a more sexual focus, while in Yuri more attention is given to the character dynamics. By virtue of their gender and appearance [read: bewbs], female characters are more easily sexualized, so sex scenes can take place in the reader's mind instead, which teases [and probably frustrates] the readers who want more, while not offending those who have milder tastes.

Is watching two women kissing that controversial? So why is it that it's a no problem watching two guys kissing?

The concept of bromance also plays a role, I guess. I mean, two guys kissing is a commonly used gag. Two girls kissing has a more serious air to it, and is more often sexualized than made into a joke.

Just my two cents.

:3

Posted Image "Don't make me ship you!"

Horn

Horn

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,078 posts
  • LocationWelded to my computer chair.

So why is it that it's a no problem watching two guys kissing?

Really depends on who you're asking.

Anyway, I guess it could likely be due to the gender roles, how boys are rough and girls are pure, something like that. I think it might also be because most slash material (be it boy on boy or girl on girl) is made by women (this is a mere assumption, so I could be wrong of course, but I have a hunch that's how it is), and so the different materials carry many similarities as people of only one gender (with exceptions of course) are making these particular stories.

That might have sounded bad. I don't know how to put it better, though.

UIqflpq.jpg

OMGWTFBBQPONIES

OMGWTFBBQPONIES

Equine non grata

• Members
  • 3,853 posts
  • LocationSan Escobar

If you're looking for something hardcore, anime may not be the best place to find it. Manga could cater to wider tastes, methinks.

Yep. Yuri/Yaoi is not profitable enough to result in many anime being made, so manga is a way to go in terms of variety. Lots of more smutty series available too.

Also, if it's severe gore/violence, then I guess the taboo against hitting/mutilating women comes into play.

That's called ero-guro and is not limited to women only. Not sure if any yaoi/yuri guro anime exists though (don't go searching for it, kids).

most slash material (be it boy on boy or girl on girl) is made by women (this is a mere assumption, so I could be wrong of course, but I have a hunch that's how it is)

As yuri was originally only targeted at female readers, I wouldn't be surprised if you were right.

A bit of a counter-topic: don't you think that too many of shounen-ai/yaoi protagonists is overly girly (to the point they could be easily replaced with a girl if not for the penis requirement)?

Edited by OMGWTFBBQPONIES, 15 November 2013 - 03:17 PM.

Mod-in-Disguise

FlQCNQa.gif

You <3

| Handwritten kanji recognition || KanjiTomo || Kanji converter || J<->E Dictionary |

Rol

Rol

Oui Purée

• Donator
  • 3,270 posts

A bit of a counter-topic: don't you think that too many of shounen-ai/yaoi protagonists is overly girly (to the point they could be easily replaced with a girl if not for the penis requirement)?

I don't read Yaoi, but maybe that's because of the commonly spread idea that, even in a gay couple, someone has to be the "woman" of the couple and the other one is the "man" ?

wtjpw658v4xz.gif

Crouching Bacon

Crouching Bacon

Fried Potato

• Donator
  • 528 posts

I don't read Yaoi, but maybe that's because of the commonly spread idea that, even in a gay couple, someone has to be the "woman" of the couple and the other one is the "man" ?

This is a pretty common notion.
Though I think it's because the more hetero-oriented audience find it a bit hard to relate/imagine a relationship without the gender dynamics.
I for one enjoy subversions.

Like, in a yuri pair, maybe the stoic one doesn't always have to be tall and strong at the same time.
Or heck, put two seme-types together, or two uke types.

Treat the characters as people first, not as stereotypes makes for a more interesting read.
Posted Image "Don't make me ship you!"

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts
  • Locationunderground like a wild potato

Do you also feel like yuri animes are causing diabetes? There is just too much sugar and not enough story and intense passion.. As if women were only able to love each other so romantically that they find it of no importance to even start kissing :D

You know, I'm not sure what specific titles you're talking about, from the description it sounds like one's along the lines of Maria-sama ga Miteru/Strawberry Panic speed.........and yeah, that's about the most you're going to get in the vast majority of "main stream" type yuri anime. 

The bottom line is there's just not going to be a lot of "physical" type love in a series made for general tv audiences.......yuri or otherwise probably. And since there's already very little yuri made when speaking comparatively, yeah, diabetes causing sweetness is about the best you can probably hope for.........unless you're talking about the types ponies listed, Intense passion .........and none of those are really "main stream" they're OVA's that either border on, or are hentai. Yup, plenty of physical lovin' in most of those.  :)

Tn7HA0h.png

veraya

veraya

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 43 posts
  • LocationDepths of Hell

I sort of feel like it's guys in the ceo who wouldn't let any extreme yuri to be aired.. their masculinity would be at stake if women preferred to see women romancing their minds and bodies with sparks and chemistry .. it's more convenient for them not to walk on this path and present such romance as passing phase [like with sth starting as yuri but ending with a guy taking over] x-d

I think people are way too afraid to blaze new trails ..think outside the box :)

OMGWTFBBQPONIES

OMGWTFBBQPONIES

Equine non grata

• Members
  • 3,853 posts
  • LocationSan Escobar

It's not about someone in control being prejudiced. Modern world is all about monies. Because the industry is not doing as well as in the past, it's less likely to pick something that won't bring back lots of monies.
Most anime market is targetted at men (because otaku support it, buying all of them anime-related gadgets and bluray releases).
Shoujo 'yuri' is just as cute and filled with sugar as many other shoujo series. Further reading.
Shounen/seinen 'yuri' is full of moe and platonic relationships, which makes it as sweet as shoujo. You could probably put it on the same level of fetishisizing as ecchi. Often also ends with 'just friends' (now, here you could go talking that it's because the male audience doesn't want to lose possible love interests, but that won't affect the japanese market in any way).
^those two most often get labelled as 'shoujo-ai' in the west. If you don't like it, avoid it.
Josei 'yuri' and yuri-for-lesbians don't have enough anime-watching audience in Japan. Go for the manga.
And if you really want to watch more steamy stuff, it's been linked above.

Mod-in-Disguise

FlQCNQa.gif

You <3

veraya

veraya

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 43 posts
  • LocationDepths of Hell

Thanks for the lecture ;p :D I guess I got a bit frustrated with unrealistic ideals :D :D