Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Give Me an Ending

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

watsu

watsu

Potato

• Members
  • 127 posts

Hello, fellow writers! Today, I have an unfinished short story that I was writing for a contest about a year ago. The story went past the word limit though, so I stopped writing it and submitted something else. Looking back on this story, I'm really curious to know how it would've ended, but I can't remember anything specific.

I only have a few hints and the portion of the story that was written. If it interests you, tell me what the ending should've been for this story!

The only hints I have besides the actual piece are these:

- The document's title was Out Time. But, rather than a title, I think it was just the first few words I could think of that related to the story somehow.

- I remember thinking that I would give up on this story because it was nearing the word limit, but the actual story was only about halfway done.

- The girl and the boy would meet again at the end, although what state they'd be in, I can't exactly remember.

- My tendency for stories differ depending on my mood, but for serious-sounding stories like this, it usually ends tragically. However, I had been trying to write unexpected endings when this was written.

- The Institution's full title was related to the main point of the story.

- The second half may have spanned over a large period of time.

- Although I wrote love here, at the time, I had been more partial towards love not in a romantic light, but more like inseparable people (and not necessarily because they want to be either).

- The person the boy went off to meet at the end was some sort of historian.

Anyways, that's all I've got. And no, I don't believe the numbers had any real meaning to them. If you have any questions or clarifications you want made, feel free to ask.

Spoiler

Edited by watsu, 08 October 2013 - 07:14 AM.

h99.png

Viscoun

Viscoun

Couch Potato

• VisTrans
  • 2,095 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

i'm always one for the sort of dystopian / trapped-time sort of stories, so this was an interesting read. i bet it would've gotten shortlisted or even won the prize if the word limit had been higher, it's really nice reading.

a few ideas for the ending popped up into my head as i read it, but i can't really pin them down. they're just sort of like expected cliches or expansions into larger worlds.

i think the most typical ending for this story (which definitely has the potential to possibly be as long as, say, a full novella) would be some sort of "just in time" ultimatum and resolution, where the boy might rescue the girl but find the girl incapacitated or disabled or something. and they run off to a cottage in the countryside and the boy takes care of her forever. or maybe she's not disabled and they just live in peace, happily ever after.

but that would be a bit cheesy so maybe not.

if the intro were a bit longer, then i think it would be the right length for a book about a much larger world. perhaps a world beyond the confines of whatever town or city they're living in. contrary to what you said, the numbers in this case would mean everything to the story. maybe they were all test tube babies and the numbers, as suggested in the story, was a timer for growth. and at the end, the girl would stop growing. maybe that'd make her the most well-developed person of the bunch, since she has had the longest growth period but the youngest "age" for her growth. but then again, that really depends on where the numbers start from at "birth".

all in all, i think there are pretty much too many possibilities to think about right now (completely brain dead thanks to uni apps and stuff.) my favorite ending would be an expanded world ending where they emerge into some kind of society beyond the prison, futuristic, dystopian, autocratic, and maybe chock full of police that are out to get the "escapees". but that can come later.

it's an awesome story! definitely has potential.

phanta

phanta

Baked Potato

• MoonFlower Scans
  • 1,147 posts
  • LocationThe high ground

Maybe they're like experiments in cloning people who have died and transplanting their consciousness into the new body, and the numbers could be counting down to the body's 'expiry date', because the body's cells are slowly degrading or mutating until they can't function anymore or something. The boy and girl could escape and set out to find out about who they used to be and live a bit before they die again, kinda like one of those bucket list movies.

Great piece of writing :D

penguin1.gif

~The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can't do~

Spoiler
Spoiler

Pirateness

Pirateness

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 92 posts
  • LocationNever-ever-land

I love your story! Unlike me, you transform your idea perfectly into the words, I really enjoyed reading it.

And I'd like for you to try and give us your ending once, but since you asked for ideas, here's one: Boy had to go somewhere away, and he encounters someone on his journey who reveals him that when number hits zero, person dies. He doesn't know the meaning of death so he explains it to him. Boy rushes back to the girl and stays with her until she dies. Which happens soon, because she was already almost dead when he came back. And he doesn't reveal to her what's gonna happen to her, but she realises he knows something because he gave her a sweet candy instead of sour fruit. --- Many years later, boy's number also hits zero. As he starts to lose his consciounes she appears to guide him on. 

Well, it could go even without this last part, what do you think? And I haven't come up with a good enough reason why the boy had to go away and where, I leave that to you :)

Pirateness
cg0.gif

watsu

watsu

Potato

• Members
  • 127 posts

I think we're all getting closer to it. Especially Pirateness' ending reminded me more of how the story continues from this point. I believe he went and met with a historian who was researching the mysterious phenomenon of "death." I also remember the doctors getting excited over her symptoms and making lots of records of what was basically just her body failing. Pirateness' ending might actually be closest to the feel of how it would've ended, although True Cyan had an interesting alternative look on the meaning of the numbers. phanta's idea would've had the potential for a lot of interesting character development, makes me think of the manga Spirit Circle.

If I had to make an ending up myself right now from it, I'd focus more on the main character's mindset than any real plot developments, since my current style really likes internal turmoil. On one hand, based on recent events, he would know what "death" is and what it entails. On the other hand, it's still a relatively foreign concept, so the hard-hitting impact that "death" usually gives us wouldn't really make sense to him. Nor would it to anyone else in the story. I would probably lean more towards an ending where he struggles with whether or not she should die.(both in terms of his own feelings and the effect it'll have on humanity). Perhaps even throw in a way to save her, but that wouldn't necessarily be the final choice he takes.

Edited by watsu, 24 October 2013 - 02:45 AM.

h99.png

A.B.

A.B.

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 47 posts
  • Locationnope ~
The guy was on the bed of a hospital after an accident , his heart beat almost stopping as hi life nears the end , he was spying the numbers from the heart monitor which was reflected on his doctor's glasses , red is close to stop ( also the numbers reflection of the moment count before death " minutes or seconds" ) . the girl face is the nurse's whom are trying to resuscitate him ( or maybe a girl he saved from the speeding car )
the moment he fell , is when his heart stopped momentarily
maybe the numbers on the room's door are the same of the car that hit him
the girl is an image of his life ( in the other case the girl whom he saved ) , doors are choices
the apple is sour , maybe to represent the bitterness of the situation ...
as for the gray haired man ,maybe he was death , death would always be the winner of any conversation
maybe he was his destiny , as he would also hold the key for all your questions
at the end :
( I hope I'm not intruding here ) but rather than searching for a historian , he would simply be looking for a library ( his memories whom he can't find )
he would open many doors to many empty rooms . The final room is where the grey haired man would be standing next to the girl whose numbers are closing the Zero ..
you could always devise a conversation between the two , it is up to you that's if you want to expand on it ...
however I would imagine the highlight of it being something like :
" would you like to switch numbers with her ? "
" I don't know ... "

......................................................................................................................

if you chose the first path ( the nurse being the girl ) , he would wake up finding her tending to him ....
the second path ( the girl he saved ) , he would find her sleeping next to him ...
( and if you chose the second path the conversation between him and death would also include death stating " what if I told you you already did ? "
maybe at the end right before he wakes up , the gray haired man would say something like " you know , those numbers aren't what they really seem... "
and the first thing he sees when he wakes up is his heart monitor , and he also hear the beeping sound of it , than maybe notice the girl )

...................................................................................................................

well , I gave it my best shot , I hope you like it ..... ^_^

Edited by A.B., 03 November 2013 - 09:04 PM.

Murdath

Murdath

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 380 posts
  • Locationhere.

And suddenly the universe collapses on itself ending all existence. THE END.

No one wants to be a slave. But if you do, please email me, because I'm looking for a few good slaves.

watsu

watsu

Potato

• Members
  • 127 posts

The guy was on the bed of a hospital after an accident , his heart beat almost stopping as hi life nears the end , he was spying the numbers from the heart monitor which was reflected on his doctor's glasses , red is close to stop ( also the numbers reflection of the moment count before death " minutes or seconds" ) . the girl face is the nurse's whom are trying to resuscitate him ( or maybe a girl he saved from the speeding car )
the moment he fell , is when his heart stopped momentarily
maybe the numbers on the room's door are the same of the car that hit him
the girl is an image of his life ( in the other case the girl whom he saved ) , doors are choices
the apple is sour , maybe to represent the bitterness of the situation ...
as for the gray haired man ,maybe he was death , death would always be the winner of any conversation
maybe he was his destiny , as he would also hold the key for all your questions
at the end :
( I hope I'm not intruding here ) but rather than searching for a historian , he would simply be looking for a library ( his memories whom he can't find )
he would open many doors to many empty rooms . The final room is where the grey haired man would be standing next to the girl whose numbers are closing the Zero ..
you could always devise a conversation between the two , it is up to you that's if you want to expand on it ...
however I would imagine the highlight of it being something like :
" would you like to switch numbers with her ? "
" I don't know ... "

......................................................................................................................

if you chose the first path ( the nurse being the girl ) , he would wake up finding her tending to him ....
the second path ( the girl he saved ) , he would find her sleeping next to him ...
( and if you chose the second path the conversation between him and death would also include death stating " what if I told you you already did ? "
maybe at the end right before he wakes up , the gray haired man would say something like " you know , those numbers aren't what they really seem... "
and the first thing he sees when he wakes up is his heart monitor , and he also hear the beeping sound of it , than maybe notice the girl )

...................................................................................................................

well , I gave it my best shot , I hope you like it ..... ^_^

Very interesting take on the story, lots of symbolism and alternate interpretations going here. Nice and flexible.

h99.png

A.B.

A.B.

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 47 posts
  • Locationnope ~

Very interesting take on the story, lots of symbolism and alternate interpretations going here. Nice and flexible.

thanks ....

this was similar to something I was thinking about but never got the chance to work on  ....

It was mostly about a prodigious artist or drawer in some art school whom lost his flair .... 

hitting a state of deep depression , his actions would repel all of his once dear friends ( or those whom he thought are , I thought of a number between 3 guys and a girl  ) ........

somewhere in the middle . a truck would be about to hit him only to run through him as he stood shocked . It was as if he was transparent ....

from here his reality would start disintegrating , and everything would begin to change ....

most of what I thought of was mere imagery . How the world would flip and he would start falling forward ( mostly a scene happening in his school which consist of adjacent buildings , where he would fly through the window only to hang into the basketball pool as he sees people walking on the surfaces  buildings rather than the ground ) . mostly windows would act as doors and doors would act as portals .

His interactions with friends would be kind of symbolic . as for the beginning they would all act friendly or trustworthy , where during the course of the story the would show their real metal . some  would switch faces _ and some even bodies _ some would change masks for their pleasure , some would deceive him and some would even attempt to get rid of him .....

( mostly the universe I planned was something like a surreal dream , where nothing would make sense . )

He , at first . wouldn't know if that was reality or that was a dream . And only when he start succumbing to the new reality . A girl he sometimes noticed watching him from afar would start appearing to him and try talking him out of his internal turmoil . his so-called friends' hatred and his internal darkness would start reflecting on The world . And the dream would begin crumbling and falling into an abyss , she would attempt to save him , maybe trying to convince him that life is worth it and deserve to be lived . and the very end she would ask him to something like " If you can't live for yourself than live life for me " 

he would start recollecting memories about who she was , about moments they spent together . She would be a classmate whom every once and a while would ask him about some drawings and for advises , he never thought that she had harbored such an amount of feelings towards him ( maybe not that much , but it is a dream in the end ) and he would recollect what happened to him ....

The truck didn't ran through him . It actually did hit him ......

And as he remembers what happened , he would wake up to find himself lying in a bed in some hospital . the girl was the only one whom kept seeing him and tending to him during his expansive coma ( somewhere between six months and a year ) .....

The ending would be a display of the future that ensues . How he would depart from his friends as he confronts them one after another ...

( one was jealous , the other's leech , the third is a liar and the forth is flat out hater ) 

How he would spend his following days with the girl _ whom stood beside him during his adversity _  

And how he reclaimed his muse and began drawing art inspired by the surreal world in which he once abode ....

and that's about it .................

I think the similarities between what this one and what I previously posted is quite evident ....

Anyway . I'm not really following through this one because I already have another story occupying my mind and consuming all my free time thinking about and working on ..... 

And . Yeah . That's about it .....