Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Comparison of Webtoons popularity and votes

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Mizura

Mizura

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 4,851 posts

I also made a similar post in the Tower of God subforum. Anyway, see here:

Spoiler

What I did: I took a screenshot of the list of webtoons on Naver, then for each, I added:

• Number of chapters: now, not all webtoons display the total number of chapters in their title, so I took the latest number as displayed in the url. This means the number also includes stuff such as the prologue, filler chapters etc. It was the quickest way for me to figure out the number of chapters though. When the webtoon is updated multiple times per week, I add a " /n " next to the number of chapters (/2 for twice per week, /3 for three times per week etc.)

• Number of votes range: I looked at the 5 latest chapters (usually skipping the latest one because the number of votes may not have stabilized much yet), then wrote down the lowest and highest number of votes for those chapters. I don't write the actual score, because it's usually 9.9. >_> There are cases where the scores are quite poor though.

A few more things:

• Chapters on hiatus are listed with an H.

• Smarttoons are listed with an S. Smarttoons are optimized for viewing on mobile phones, and it seems that when you visit Naver using a smart phone, smarttoons will be listed on top, so that seems to give them a boost.

• 19+ series require users to have their ID authenticated before they're allowed to read them. I don't feel like sending my passport information to Naver for series I don't even want to read, so I skipped those.

• New series are series with just a few chapters out. They usually get a promotional boost with ads on the front page, but list-wise, they start at the bottom for the first week or so, until they get more views. So the few new series you see at the bottom will likely have a big jump in ranking within the next week or two. That said, the first few chapters will usually have a higher number of votes, but the number can fall a lot once they're past the "new" series phase.

The final ranking is apparently decided by a number of factors including views (not disclosed), number of votes, voted score and comments. As for the exact formula, hell if I know. You'll notice that some series have pretty high number of votes (and if you check, their scores are high too), but their rankings are low. I'm not sure why either. It could be that they have a smaller reader base, but their fans are very loyal and vote often.

Judging from the number of votes alone, Kubera could be ranked higher, but overall, it's quite unlucky to be a Tuesday comic because of the very popular gag comics sitting at the higher rankings. Several new series were also released, including two last week. Since those two were just released, they are displayed at the bottom of the list for now, but will likely shoot up in rankings soon enough. I'm not sure if they'll remain popular, thus pushing Kubera further down (*sob*), or if they'll lose steam with time.

It's not the series with the most suspiciously low ranking though. If you look at the line below, for the comic most to the right, you have to wonder why it's ranked so low with such a high number of votes (33k ~ 57k). It really makes you wonder how Naver's system works.

3492bk6.jpg

Kubera stuff: Character charts , Races and Cities , The finite (official side novel) ,
Official English Webtoons: https://www.webtoons.com

smthFishy

smthFishy

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,251 posts
  • Locationsubmerged

Time is the best test. We'll see...

BTW how comes there is actually a range? Are you counting the number of votes ?

Mizura

Mizura

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 4,851 posts

The number of votes is displayed next to the stars. I just have to open 5 chapters and see which ones are lowest/highest.

3492bk6.jpg

Kubera stuff: Character charts , Races and Cities , The finite (official side novel) ,
Official English Webtoons: https://www.webtoons.com

Daydream

Daydream

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 52 posts

Is there a reason one of the comics is displayed twice?

Edit: Is it because they are the ones that come out multiple times per week?

Edited by Daydream, 15 July 2013 - 01:29 AM.

Webbie

Webbie

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 33 posts

Kubera is #8 in terms of views and #6 in terms of ratings out of 22 Tuesday Manhwas.

Random-Webtoon-Fan

Random-Webtoon-Fan

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 3,395 posts

Is there a reason one of the comics is displayed twice?

Edit: Is it because they are the ones that come out multiple times per week?

Yes, they are.

Dreamingflower

Dreamingflower

Fried Potato

• Contributor
  • 731 posts

Kubera is #8 in terms of views and #6 in terms of ratings out of 22 Tuesday Manhwas.

That's not bad. Thought, I think it deserves a higher rating

Posted Image

Now a story before falling asleep

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/3707972/

Random-Webtoon-Fan

Random-Webtoon-Fan

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 3,395 posts

That's not bad. Thought, I think it deserves a higher rating

The ratings does not matter much - It's just shows who has higher ratio of fans over haters.

And no2,4,5 of views in Tuesday is just really old comedy webtoons who have lots of fans due to their long release.

Also, no3 is a summer-only horror webtoon series done by many different authors - it will be gone in a few weeks.