Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Esdese & Tatsumi

• Please log in to reply
310 replies to this topic

truepurple

truepurple

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,461 posts

You read it right here folks, Tatsumi would rather die then be with Esdeath, and like most heroic characters, seem to find it impossible to be deceptive in times like this (like play along till you can escape dude) Well maybe that is what he planned with his comrade and with him dead... This isn't the death of any ship to me, just confirmation of it having been long dead. Even if Esdeath switched sides, which is incredibly unlikely at this stage, Tatsumi would still be against being with her romantically, even putting Mine aside. And confirmation that Esdeath sees him as a possession to cherish, and not as a person with free will to love. She's even willing to break her toy to prevent other villainous kids from playing with it.

I thought for sure Esdeath would help him escape though, now how will he get out.

enigm409 

I didn't understand that parallel comment.

Edited by truepurple, 26 September 2014 - 06:14 PM.

Tsenzei

Tsenzei

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 30 posts

Even if Esdeath switched sides, which is incredibly unlikely at this stage, Tatsumi would still be against being with her romantically, even putting Mine aside. And confirmation that Esdeath sees him as a possession to cherish, and not as a person with free will to love. She's even willing to break her toy to prevent other villainous kids from playing with it.

While this interpretation might be accurate, it's not really how I read it.  Setting Mine aside for now, I agree that Esdeath merely changing sides wouldn't have been enough.  She'd have to change her methodology somewhat as well ("stop playing with your enemies and kill them already..."); however, I don't think he'd be against the idea at that point... well, until Mine comes back into the picture of course.  And again, I don't think Esdeath is killing him so that others don't "play with him" (aka: to keep him away from others romantically) but because he's an enemy that is avowed to slay her and everyone else on the PM's side, and she won't let anyone on her side torture or kill him but her.  Ultimately, I don't think her viewpoint is as similar to Shura's as you've implied (he sees everything and everyone in the Empire as his plaything); I think she does see people for what they are... and that that's what makes her actions all the more despicable.

As I've said before, I do not ship these characters.  Among other things, I think them actually getting together would make the story far less interesting.  As much as I'm a proponent of almost any character thus far potentially being able to "redeem" themselves in the eyes Tatsumi and/or Najenda, having the possibility only makes things more tense, and gives more weight to the conflict.  It also helps to reinforce the point made in the first few chapters: What Night Raid is doing is murder.  They are not "allies of justice" who think that whatever they are doing is the "right" thing to do.  They doing what is best for the Army that supports them, and fulfilling the requests of people that pay them.

The only two meaningful differences between Night Raid and the Jaegers is who they get their orders from (Revolution/People vs. Imperial Government) and the fact that the Jaegers have a few more particularly crazy people in them: Schere and Esdeath have the same type of "loose screw" but different upbringing and thus values (and of course strength).  Stylish lacks (any) scruples and care for comrads.  Akame is probably more sane than Kurome... but Seryuu not only tipped the scales she threw them down screaming that Justice isn't about balance anyway and how dare you try and bring up such evil ideas.

But that's just how I see it.  There's a reasonably high chance that we'll get to see some more of Esdeath's thoughts on the matter in the next chapter(s).

Edited by Tsenzei, 28 September 2014 - 05:11 PM.

Trips

Trips

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 22 posts
  • LocationPoland

I just hope that author won't use cheap shot and make Army look as bad as Government at certain point.  It would be like heavy kick straight in the balls.

truepurple

truepurple

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,461 posts

NR only gets orders from their leader woman, and even then, if she ordered them to do something they fundamentally disagreed with, they would probably refuse. They are more like a family with common interests. They also share interest with the revolution since they spend their days fighting the evil spawned from the empire, they sometimes take requests from the revolutionary army, but they aren't obedient dogs. They are a independent organization allied with the revolutionary army. Notice how the only time the revolutionary army sent them people to help them, was when NR was helping them with the cult thing.

Edited by truepurple, 15 October 2014 - 06:25 AM.

paulslayer1000

paulslayer1000

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 84 posts

ahhh only 4 more days until we find out if Tatsumi dies or not. Why not let us do a vote to see who will think he will die or not? My vote is on not.

truepurple

truepurple

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,461 posts

Tatsumi would only potentially die if the series was at its end.  Even then MCs usually get a better death then that.

Edited by truepurple, 22 October 2014 - 04:38 AM.

Tsenzei

Tsenzei

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 30 posts

Tatsumi would only potentially die if the series was at its end.  Even then MCs usually get a better death then that.

Not strictly true.  There's plenty of ways to continue the story without Tatsumi.  While MCs do "usually" get a better death, this manga in particular enjoys showing off the brutality and unfairness of death.  To the point people have compared it to "Game of Thrones" and they have MCs dying left and right in worse ways than this.

I still think it unlikely that Tatsumi (or Akame) will die anytime soon, personally, but from a narrative standpoint it's certainly plausible.

Bloody Sorcerer

Bloody Sorcerer

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 38 posts

Edese was raised in the wild by the laws of the wild. In the wild there's no such thing as 'Good' or 'Evil', it's simply survival of the fittest, eat or be eaten. Edese was never taught of compassion, mercy or the distinction between man and beast. She was taught to be stronger, faster and more powerful than others, that way she may never be preyed on. She was taught that the strong survive and the weak die, and in that sense she has essentially been subject to the kind of raising that you would expect of a moral beast. She has no moral shading, we see right and wrong, she sees strong and weak. The only possibly evil part of her is the fact that she's a sadist, other than that she's simply an animal.

Indeed and that's what we like about her. I find it curious that Najenda never treated her as an inhumane monster, a villain, only as an enemy that must be defeated. She's somehow pure and childish, her mindset and tastes are a bit childish as well. If you ask me, she's been getting more likeable each chapter. 

truepurple

truepurple

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,461 posts

She lacks maturity in a way, I wouldn't say she was child like though. "Pure" means nothing to me in this context.

Zenith_Tempest

Zenith_Tempest

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 83 posts

I don't think Tatsumi will end up with anybody. I think Mine will die sooner or later in the future, and if Tatsumi survives, he'll choose to be alone.

Why?

I just don't feel as though there was proper romantic buildup with any of the girls. All we see is Tatsumi getting embarrassed about something that happened and the girl says she may or may not like him and that's all that happens. I'd prefer it if he lives a wandering life after the fight against the empire if he lives, or maybe even goes back to the village he came from. Something like how Gurren Lagann ended. And on the note of Gurren Lagann, it may have been a silly anime, but it did the romance better than AgK does. In fact, if you read Akame ga Kill, you shouldn't really be reading it for the romance, because that's not the main part of the plot.

I commented somewhere back, and I still do believe that Esdese isn't really "good" or "evil." She doesn't see anything she does as evil; that's just the readers and her enemies who do. She doesn't know that "killing is bad," because she grew up understanding that killing was part of life. You kill the weak and become strong, or you are weak and are killed by the strong. That's all there is to it. If I raised a child while showing him or her nothing but horror movies during their childhood, while reinforcing the idea that they are not scary at all, and rather very enjoyable, that child would grow up enjoying horror movies. It's all about psychology and conditioning.

Disabling all limiters.

tumblr_nld3jcEGtn1r7hrmoo2_500.gif

Trips

Trips

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 22 posts
  • LocationPoland

She kills weak for fun and doesn't get any stronger.

She would call concentration camps "efficient but boring".

I sometimes enjoy original opinions but yours is so wrong it just makes me annoyed.