Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Kubera ,Character relationships discussion thread

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

battradio

battradio

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 957 posts
  • LocationNear ST. Louis MO USA

This is for all the readers of Kubera that want to speculate on the interactions between any characters in the story , to keep the main threads clear

Edited by battradio, 15 May 2013 - 08:17 AM.

Mizura

Mizura

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 4,851 posts

Great idea! :D

In fact, one of the things I really like about Kubera is how the interactions between each character is unique and evolving. Depending on who they're interacting with, each character displays different dynamics, which makes it all feel more natural. (to give an extreme comparison, Luffy from One Piece is a hard-to-talk-to loudmouth around Everybody). What I mean is, with many stories these days (especially Shounen, though way too many Shoujo are guilty of this as well), it seems often the personality alone determines the interactions: a jerk is a jerk to everyone, a nice person is nice to everyone, etc. But the personalities of the characters in Kubera aren't so set.

Asha, for example, behaves differently towards Leez, Ran, Yuta or Brilith. On the surface she's her cold usual self, but we see her relying on Yuta for emotional support, displaying conflicting feelings regarding Leez, and even being surprisingly considerate when it comes to Ran (not revealing that he should have lost the test bet). And she's become relaxed enough around Leez and Ran to troll them for fun. :S Her friendship with Brilith also seems to run deeper than you'd expect for such an aloof character.

To humans, Maruna is an evil monster, but Maruna is also surprisingly protective of his siblings. Yuta is cute as Heck, but also wise and supportive of Asha, yet childishly selective when it comes to the rules of hunting ("don't eat those who don't attack you first" = "try to look weak to get attacked first"), and a total monster when eating.

Gandharva behaves very differently whether he's around Shakuntala, Maruna, Sagara, Agni, God Kubera and of course Teo or Leez. They all bring out different sides of him. Gandharva admitted his troubles to Agni, as well as expressed regret over the fact the two cannot become friends, but also had that surprisingly insightful conversation about fathers and daugthers with Leez, possible because each of them have their own stories to share.

Leez too. She seems like a naive kid on the surface, but we see her fighting with her doubts about Asha, surprisingly managing to keep secret about who her father is around Ran, and she's shown really unexpected insight into God Kubera and Gandharva, who in turn also showed us how sad she really is and how she's doing her best to deal with all this.

I think it's this complexity of interactions that give such a rich feeling to the characters of the series. I've rarely come to like so many characters in one series. It just gets better and better with time.

3492bk6.jpg

Kubera stuff: Character charts , Races and Cities , The finite (official side novel) ,
Official English Webtoons: https://www.webtoons.com

phanta

phanta

Baked Potato

• MoonFlower Scans
  • 1,147 posts
  • LocationThe high ground
Yeah, I like how the antagonists aren't just lumped under the "I'm doing all this cause I'm evil & this is what evil people do" category, we find out through their interactions that they have histories & motivations that we can sympathize with. Like Mizura said, not a whole lot of authors use that to add to the story & that's what makes Kubera such a good manhwa

penguin1.gif

~The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can't do~

Spoiler
Spoiler

Dreamingflower

Dreamingflower

Fried Potato

• Contributor
  • 731 posts

I agree with Mizura, the ships between some characters is shown in a unique way too. Leez for example, in the beginning she hated kubera, because she thought he was an annoying brat, but later she she saw him in a different light and regards him now as a nice but annoying stalk Unlike the most stereo type shoujo love manga's where the protagonist keeps repeating how much he/ she hates the main love interesting, but it's very clear that he/ she doesn't and well that's boring and predictable.

In Kubera we notice the possible ships, but unlike most manga it's unclear if they really get together because of the situation they're in. Agni for example clearly shows his affection towards Brilith, who is too dense to notice. She also shows signs that she cares about him, but because of God/ priestess positions they have it's hard to see if they really get together. yama also said to Agni that his efforts will be futile and there's Teo and Gandharva; Teo is one of the few humans who can get along with Gandharva, but he is supposed to kill her, which he's hesitant to do so. There's a possibility that he will be forced to kill her or does it in an accident in the later chapters or he decides to disappear from her life in order to keep her safe?

And there's Ran and Rana. It's obvious that they like eachother, but because everyone keeps telling Ran that his love will end up as a sad one, he is reluctant to take a move.

YutaxLeez of course too. Even though it's one of the most popular ships the story shows that it won't be a happy end for them. The change is big that it will change. I really hope it will :D.

The story has a deep plot and there are too many things that need to be answered and each time a new chapter comes out we have more questions. A lot of characters still need to appear and some conflicts that need to get cleared. 

Those are one of the aspects that makes the story so awesome!

Posted Image

Now a story before falling asleep

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/3707972/

Mizura

Mizura

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 4,851 posts

^ Hah! I've been avoiding most Shoujo for so long that I forgot the frustration of watching female protagonist pretending to hate the male protagonist. Gods, that's annoying. xD

Marim also suggested moving discussions about the interactions between races here. I think it's a good idea.

Battradio, could you maybe rename the thread "Character relationships and racial interactions discussion thread", or something like that? They may sound like separate topics, but when you think about it, their race is a big part in determining the nature of their interactions.

About that, one of the scenes I found most interesting about Gandharva is actually in chapter 68, when he tells Leny "I'm not in the mood to tolerate a Half's backtalk." Most of the time Gandharva is shown as an overall nice guy who feels guilty about the bad things he's being forced to do, but here we have a glimpse of his old "Shut up you inferior being, I'm a Nastika King" self showing through. Remember this post I made a while back?

Omg! I just realized there are now previews of the first 25 pages or so of each of the books at various Korean book sales sites. *__*

http://www.yes24.com/24/goods/6240380
http://www.yes24.com/24/goods/7178678
http://www.yes24.com/24/goods/8033114

In the second book, you even see the scene with Menaka! Gandharva thinks of her right after healing those Halfs. When the Half tells him he's a kind person, Gandharva has a flashback of Menaka saying something like (Google Translate):

To die, kill, drain, deprive of each other's flesh, to fight and eat. After a long time, everyone loses one's free mind. Gandharva, for our race at least, I hope you can take it one step further away from this heartless world. As the King, only you can make it happen. Gandharva thinks: Yes, Menaka. Even though you're no longer here, I'm still trying.

There's also a few extra lines about Gandharva in Maruna's flashback of him. "Is there any way to cause damage to Gandharva?" This is famous that this problem has caused headaches for Gods for a long time.

So, Gandharva is so strong that Gods couldn't even damage him in the past.  B) But under Menaka's influence, he has been trying all this time to build a more peaceful existence for his clan. In Chapter 80, Shess thinks of Gandharva making Shuri and Garuda shake hands. I think Gandharva is the one who proposed the alliance, under Menaka's influence, hoping once again to build a more peaceful existence for his clan. You know, it's possible that Garuda made that deal with Kali Before the alliance was formed.

I suspect that under Menaka's influence, Gandharva became a lot more open-minded and tolerant than he was before, but still struggles somewhat with his own prejudices. For example, he also had a hard time believing that Agni was one of the Gods who tend to be so "sneaky", and he really tried hard to convince himself that Teo is just another insignificant human like any other. I do find it interesting that under Menaka's influence, Gandharva actually made such efforts to become a better person, so to say.

Ah, we were also talking about Sagara, and how she may not be as much of a bitch as she seems to be. Quite frankly, I think it's perfectly conceivable for her to be a "decent" person according to her own values, and still be a bitch to everyone else. This is possible because of the different dynamics between races. To Nastika, humans were always insignificant bugs, and Sura of other clans are enemies. I'm nice to other humans, but I won't hesitate to squash a mosquito. This has to do with each race's perception of one another. In the same way, humans don't find it evil to kill Sura, because, well, they're Sura!

In fact, the racial dynamics set by Currygom are some of the most interesting ones I think I've read:
- The Nastika are the most powerful, and they can have children.
- The Astika are weaker, but endlessly regenerate, and can see into the minds of non-Nastika Sura as well as humans (some of which used to be allied with Sura)

To the Astika, Nastika are like this terrible force of destruction, capable of destroying entire planets, and reproducing like a swarm. Of course the Astika would see the Nastika as an utter abomination and want to wipe them out. Because the Astika are weaker, of course they'd want to use whatever means they have.

To the Nastika, on the other hand, the Gods are pests that never, ever, Ever completely die. They use "underhanded" tactics and kill the Nastika's children (Nastika aren't too fond of their kids, but still, the Gods are wiping out members of their race). To the Sura as well, the Gods are an utter abomination.

And uh, poor humans. The Sura may see them as traitors, but the poor humans are just trying to survive here, they're so ridiculously out-powered that it's not funny.

Back to Sagara, note that she thinks that before Gandharva got married, he was a king "worthy of her respect." This ironically shows that she's capable of respecting others in the first place. Here we have a clear difference in values though. Whereas she thought the old Gandharva to be a competent King, she thinks that the current one has been "ruined" by Menaka and Shakuntala, i.e. "ideological wenches." Sagara's not even being a bitch. She truly believes that Menaka and Shakuntala are evil women who will be responsible for the downfall of their entire race. Coming from a King that's ready to abandon her own race, this Really shows how bad she thinks of those two. :S

This diversity of ideologies is really interesting in my opinion. Menaka and Shakuntala, who are portrayed as so kind and gentle in our eyes, are seen as an evil blight in Sagara's eyes. And she somehow has a point.

Edit: Oh yeah, speaking about prejudices and points of view, Agni is another character I find quite interesting. He's been portrayed as righteous, fun-loving and caring most of the time. Yet his nature as a God also shows through. When confronting Gandharva at the beginning of the series, and being unable to read Gandharva's mind, he thought "This is why I hate Nastika." And when Brilith managed to summon him back, I found it somewhat chilling when I realized that he -didn't care- that lots of humans died. He also made use of his image as a fool to try to trick Sagara when Sagara was lying to him about the reason she attacked.

Edited by Mizura, 21 May 2013 - 12:34 PM.

3492bk6.jpg

Kubera stuff: Character charts , Races and Cities , The finite (official side novel) ,

DemonSoul

DemonSoul

Potato

• Members
  • 146 posts
  • LocationAnywhere and Nowhere

Wow - I should really pay more attention to threads we have on these forums....

Interesting interactions:

Yuta vs Lez when Yuta finds out that the revenge Lez wants to carry out is targeted at his beloved big brother. Now for me, this is where it'll get really hard. As I've stated in other thread, Yuta views Maruna in high regard, possibly because Maruna accepted him as his brother without hesitation, thus finally giving Yuta a thing he desiered the most: a friend/brother figure. Now, if I was in Yutas situation, I would have jumped on Lez if she was trying to kill my brother - why? Because we humans (I guess same goes for Suras in this story) - usually, regard our family as something that comes before anything else. Hell even if my brother would have murdered entire village, even though it would have made me sad, there is no way in hell I would have gived him up. No - Maruna gave him something far more precious, a feeling of a family. Possibly, if my theory is correct, Maruna could have played the role of not only brother, but almost a father - because I believe that both Vinata and Garuda (Here, is where I can be wrong - and I really hope I am) didn't accept Yuta, thus making Maruna fill the jack of all trades role (Brother/Friend/Almost father). Anyways, I believe that there will be no Yuta/Lez, it's a doomed relationship, because Yuta cares about his brother.

Love pairings:

Serious: Teo/Gandharva, Vasuki/Sagara and Kubera or Yuta/Lez.

Not so serious:

Female Gandharva/Agni (or vice versa, but god damn.....).

Ran/random half he met when he was drunk - they marry while he is still drunk. Wakes up, finds out he is married to someone who is a half, SCREAMS! Maruna/Riagara - the way they look at each other....Maruna loves her so much that he wants to eat her, so much SOUL IN THIS RELATIONSHIP!!!! T_T

Chophe/Airi, Clophe fell in love with Airi during combat - what do?

Names: Petition to call Gandharva for Gandhi and Kubera for Kuby - thanks.

Marim

Marim

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 373 posts

@Battradio: So we'll speculate and discuss future events and other stuff in "General Discussions and speculations thread"?

LovelyLuvLuv

LovelyLuvLuv

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 363 posts

Idk, i feel like yuta/leez will end up being each other's love interest due to similar 'mental age' and being equals of a sort. god kubera strikes me like he will be more of an older brother/guardian/etc 'important person' type to leez. also, i want to see more clophe x airi. everytime i see clophe show up i just keep on trying to think of ways for airi to meet him :( .... but she's in atera right now? :( 

Mizura

Mizura

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 4,851 posts

@Marim: actually, maybe we could have a plot discussion thread. We could use spoiler tags when we're also discussing raws.

@GwimGi: this thread is brand new, it's not surprising you didn't notice it before. xD

Edited by Mizura, 15 May 2013 - 12:20 AM.

3492bk6.jpg

battradio

battradio

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 957 posts

I can fine tune the thread name , suggestions welcome

@Battradio: So we'll speculate and discuss future events and other stuff in "General Discussions and speculations thread"?

That would be the plan , the three main threads are fine , don't think , stopping them and starting a new one in their place would help .It is the much larger number of Kubera readers there are (over 3350 of us ) and the number of us responding that makes it hard to keep up with all the discussion .

Fai

Fai

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 15 posts
  • LocationCarte's Water Channel

Yeah, I like how the antagonists aren't just lumped under the "I'm doing all this cause I'm evil & this is what evil people do" category, we find out through their interactions that they have histories & motivations that we can sympathize with. Like Mizura said, not a whole lot of authors use that to add to the story & that's what makes Kubera such a good manhwa

I agree with this, which is partially the reason I started reading this manhwa. I don't particularly like mahwas because the one-strip format is wierd to me. I've even tried reading TOG and noblesse before but couldn't get into them. However, before judging any story, I always give it like three or four chapters to see if I'm interested. What set Kubera apart was how Currygom brought out the characters. Some authors rely on action in the story and sometimes neglect to bring out the individual stories. But that's what I love about this story, you can relate to each of the characters in one way or another. For example, I think Sagara is a complete selfish bastard, but I find it really hard to hate her, even though she is trying her hardest to kill Leez. It's not cuz "she is simply evil" but there's a reason behind her actions. Same way with Gandharva, when talking to "Ketergent" he came off as very cold-blooded with enough mercy to let her live, then later when talking to Maruna, he became more lively by laughing, then crying about his curry mushroom. Don't get me wrong, I love the action too, but there's so many intricacies and webs tying all their lives unknowingly together that make you want to read more about their history and such to satisfy your questions.

You can't change what happens to you in LIFE; You can only change how you feel about it. So start feeling HAPPY :lol:

Mizura

Mizura

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 4,851 posts

@ Battradio: well, as I suggested before, "Character relationships and racial interactions discussions thread."

The race of the characters are actually an integral part explaining their interactions with other characters, so I think it's worthwhile to put them in one thread.

@Fai: I'm impressed. You managed to analyze that much out of Kubera with just 5 opening chapters? :S

Personally, I was unable to put a finger on what I liked about the story for a very long time. There was something I found very charming about it, but I couldn't explain it. As it happens, I like to analyze. Well before Kubera I had been analyzing what possibly made a story appealing, or what on the contrary felt "missing" or "off."

Kubera caught me off-guard because its strengths are so different from other stories I was reading, lol.

Edited by Mizura, 15 May 2013 - 02:31 AM.

3492bk6.jpg

Fai

Fai

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 15 posts
  • LocationCarte's Water Channel

@Mizura

lol not exactly...but the first five chapters got me interested in reading more cuz of the hints it dropped (why Asha was near Kubera's town, why the sura were hunting Kubera, what Gandharva's connection was to this god Agni)   I analyzed that as the story progressed and more of the individual stories were revealed, hence why i'm now addicted :P

You can't change what happens to you in LIFE; You can only change how you feel about it. So start feeling HAPPY :lol:

battradio

battradio

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 957 posts

How is this          Character , love stories and human -sura -god ,interrelations discussions thread

Mizura

Mizura

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 4,851 posts

Em..... it looks terribly messy, to be honest.

How about just a "Character relationships discussion thread", with "Post here to discuss about the relationships between characters and races." in the main text?

Edited by Mizura, 15 May 2013 - 04:50 AM.

3492bk6.jpg

Marim

Marim

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 373 posts

I like it! Here's my suggestion in overall:

We'll discuss main plot, also some details and things we didn't notice before in General discussions thread. Characters in character relationship thread. People can ask something they forgot and plot details in those two threads, or look at Mizura's threads about side-information of Kubera world.

Upcoming raws in raws thread, << of course we will also use reference in our posts if necessary.

~You're~Cute~I'm~Cute~

~You're~Cute~I'm~Cute~

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 723 posts
  • LocationWhere perverts reside and crazies roam~

omg that is such a cute name for kubera! xD i think we have a lil kuby!

giphy.gif

battradio

battradio

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 957 posts

Ashablock_zpse5c1612c.jpg

What type of relationship does Asha Rahiro have to the gods , and is she a pawn , or a queen but still being manipulated . Is she connected to more than one god , in a fatal tug or war .

I wonder if the humans she killed were mostly named Kubera , and did this at the God Kubera biding , I have always wondered  what is up her sleeve , is it a ghost arm , a godly item and

which god or gods .I find it curious that there is no mention of her father , all the other three main characters of her party , have had their  ancestory explored

Also what was her relationship to Leez father , he is more a mystery the than Asha herself .

Rao Leez a triple kubera is given the Neutral Bow  buy the god Vayu. , how did he get on such good terms with a  god that wasn't even one of his attributes , also he disappeared like the rest of the village

that his wife and child lived in , all gone with the wind ? Is  Vayu. protecting them all and why ?

Calendar

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCtdKWWfZG8

Edited by battradio, 17 May 2013 - 06:37 AM.

AishiteruJae

AishiteruJae

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 252 posts

I agree with Mizura, the ships between some characters is shown in a unique way too. Leez for example, in the beginning she hated kubera, because she thought he was an annoying brat, but later she she saw him in a different light and regards him now as a nice but annoying stalk Unlike the most stereo type shoujo love manga's where the protagonist keeps repeating how much he/ she hates the main love interesting, but it's very clear that he/ she doesn't and well that's boring and predictable.

In Kubera we notice the possible ships, but unlike most manga it's unclear if they really get together because of the situation they're in. Agni for example clearly shows his affection towards Brilith, who is too dense to notice. She also shows signs that she cares about him, but because of God/ priestess positions they have it's hard to see if they really get together. yama also said to Agni that his efforts will be futile and there's Teo and Gandharva; Teo is one of the few humans who can get along with Gandharva, but he is supposed to kill her, which he's hesitant to do so. There's a possibility that he will be forced to kill her or does it in an accident in the later chapters or he decides to disappear from her life in order to keep her safe?

And there's Ran and Rana. It's obvious that they like eachother, but because everyone keeps telling Ran that his love will end up as a sad one, he is reluctant to take a move.

YutaxLeez of course too. Even though it's one of the most popular ships the story shows that it won't be a happy end for them. The change is big that it will change. I really hope it will :D.

The story has a deep plot and there are too many things that need to be answered and each time a new chapter comes out we have more questions. A lot of characters still need to appear and some conflicts that need to get cleared. 

Those are one of the aspects that makes the story so awesome!

somehow I have a feeling that none of the ships will turn out happy, except maybe RanxRana.... 

I wonder what the bet or whatever she had with Ran's aunt was.... I'm assuming it had to do something with Ran... ?

Wow - I should really pay more attention to threads we have on these forums....

Interesting interactions:

Yuta vs Lez when Yuta finds out that the revenge Lez wants to carry out is targeted at his beloved big brother. Now for me, this is where it'll get really hard. As I've stated in other thread, Yuta views Maruna in high regard, possibly because Maruna accepted him as his brother without hesitation, thus finally giving Yuta a thing he desiered the most: a friend/brother figure. Now, if I was in Yutas situation, I would have jumped on Lez if she was trying to kill my brother - why? Because we humans (I guess same goes for Suras in this story) - usually, regard our family as something that comes before anything else. Hell even if my brother would have murdered entire village, even though it would have made me sad, there is no way in hell I would have gived him up. No - Maruna gave him something far more precious, a feeling of a family. Possibly, if my theory is correct, Maruna could have played the role of not only brother, but almost a father - because I believe that both Vinata and Garuda (Here, is where I can be wrong - and I really hope I am) didn't accept Yuta, thus making Maruna fill the jack of all trades role (Brother/Friend/Almost father). Anyways, I believe that there will be no Yuta/Lez, it's a doomed relationship, because Yuta cares about his brother.

Love pairings:

Serious: Teo/Gandharva, Vasuki/Sagara and Kubera or Yuta/Lez.

Not so serious:

Female Gandharva/Agni (or vice versa, but god damn.....).

Ran/random half he met when he was drunk - they marry while he is still drunk. Wakes up, finds out he is married to someone who is a half, SCREAMS! Maruna/Riagara - the way they look at each other....Maruna loves her so much that he wants to eat her, so much SOUL IN THIS RELATIONSHIP!!!! T_T

Chophe/Airi, Clophe fell in love with Airi during combat - what do?

waiiiit what about RanxRana? 

currently reading <3 : Trump, The Gamer, Kubera, TAL , Black Haze , Looking for a Father, Dream of a Girl, Aletheia , Don't Cry Bureum , Last Game , Legend of the Sun Knight , A Thousand Year Ninetails , Tiara , Pinocchio , Pandora Hearts , Taiyou no Ie , Twelve NIghts , Wedding Season 2 , Love so Life , Mrs. Angel , Like a bird <3  

Mizura

Mizura

Couch Potato

• Members
  • 4,851 posts

Continuing a conversation about the Yaksha clan and human-Sura relationships in general:

As for the me2day, yes, Yaksha could have lived if he gave upon the humans, but because he gave them too much, he died. Currygom has the settings (aka plot + story idea) for it, but has no plans to publish it into a work.

Wow, that tidbit about Yaksha is actually very interesting, it's a pity Currygom doesn't plan to explain it further. I wonder if Currygom herself realizes the sheer quality of the details she puts into her world? It's easy to design a world with lots of miscellaneous facts, but the details from Currygom's world reveals incredibly interesting sets of dynamics. For example, Currygom likes to say that the information in the finite and in her blog are details not needed to understand the webtoon, but they reveal such interesting facts about the world. The finite, for example, revealed a lot about the early phases of the Universe and the rather grim fate the Dragons were put through.

(speaking of early Universe, yes, I've wondered what those early Rakshasas ate as well. My theories so far were along the lines of:
- Why do you think the Dinosaurs went extinct? (joke)
- Maybe the parents fed them parts of themselves since they can regenerate (uh.... probably not)
- Maybe they fed on Gods' meat. After all, this is a fully renewable source of quality nutrients. And would explain why the Gods hate them so much. x'D )

Back on Yaksha, that information is Very interesting. We know that the humans used to be divided between those who worshiped the Gods and those who worshiped the Sura. The humans decided to side with the Gods because they lost too much because of the Sura. So far, it seems like the Sura were pretty harsh on the humans.

If a Nastika king gave up his life for the sake of humans though, that really changes the dynamics, and also helps us reinterpret many facts and scenes:

• Yaksha/Human Halfs are the most common Halfs (from the finite). So, it's much more understandable if in the past, the Yaksha clan was the one closest to humans (hey, it could have been superior breeding abilities)
  • Shuri told Yuta not to eat humans. The other Yaksha stated that it's because there wasn't much to eat, but if Yaksha was willing to give up his life for humans, perhaps the whole clan is relatively benevolent when it comes to humans.
  • Yuta's blog profile states that it is very unusual for a Sura to understand human language and write it. I always assumed that Kali taught him. But perhaps it was Shuri who taught him.
  • Also, if the Yaksha clan was so close to humans, then in the past at least, the relationship between Sura and (some) humans must have been pretty good after all, not just humans being some persecuted underlings. I wonder what that society was like, with humans and Sura getting along?
  • Ran's grandmother also hooked up with a human. What is it about humans and Yaksha sura?

I've often wondered about Yaksha's role in all this. After all, he was the first Nastika King to die from all the clans and there's a huge proliferation of Yaksha halfs all over the place; just look at Kalibloom. Most of the halfs in Kalibloom are Yaksha halfs. Ya know, I wonder what the common characteristics of halfs is/are/were. Dragon halfs take after their fathers and Yaksha halfs are generally strong fighter types, but we don't know much about the other clans' halfs. I wonder if we'll meet other types of halfs later on in the webtoon...

I think you're onto something here. All those things about Yaksha & the Yaksha clan are very, very interesting! Yaksha who gave 'too much' (of what?) to the humans, and humans who lost 'too much' to the Sura....

I've always wondered since Ran and Hana's flashback conversation when Ran said that non-dragon Nastika don't pay any attention to humans, implying that it is the Rakshasha and Upani who paired up with humans for the original halves... but Rakshasha and under can't speak. So if what Ran said was true, unless they can somehow communicate (via writing, for instance) with humans, the relationship that leads to baby halves being born may not be uh, mutually consensual? o_O;; (I mean, verbal communication is important for courtship... right?=_=;;; )

For the human-Sura relationships to be more... uh, G-rated and romantic, either:
1) it is the Nastika who created the halves with humans (aka, Ran was wrong/misleading/misled- which indeed is this, in his grandparents' case)
2) learning how to write is more commonly taught among Sura than previously suggested (aka, currygom was misleading)
3) Whatever things happened a really, really long time ago for most halves, and since then, halves have married other halves.. (aka, we shouldn't nitpick and worry about the potentially grim and R-rated backstory...)
4) There's an element to all this that the audience doesn't know yet, such as humans borrowing power from the Sura, etc.

Also of note is the fact that Shess (of the Kinnara clan) can also write, and seems quite friendly to humans and halves.

^ *cough*third stage sura*cough*

On for what Yaksha gave, I wonder if it has to do with humans borrowing Nastika powers? If, at one point, Yaksha's human followers were attacked by the Gods or their followers for example, or by other Sura, Yaksha may have allowed the humans to drain too much power from him, thus weakening him just like how Gandharva was weakened. Speaking of which, I don't think it's been properly explained how humans borrow powers in the first place?

As for ah, Sura-human relations, I've given those some thoughts too, though not really in the same way you did. xD Rather, it occurred to me that Sura seem to pursue human relationships without any sort of reservations. Tak courted Ian without really thinking about the consequences. Yuta is following Leez around like a love-sick puppy. It occurred to me that it makes sense: humans will typically instinctively hesitate before choosing a mate for the following reasons:
- Limited opportunity. Humans are mortal. If they make the wrong choice, they've wasted time they could have spent with someone better.
- Socio-economic issues. Humans want a mate that is a proper provider etc.
- Fear of violence. For women especially, they need to trust the human male.

Well, Sura are immortal. They don't have opportunity costs the same way humans do. If they get fed-up of the mate they can just separate and find someone else. With humans, they can just wait for the human to die off. Sura can survive on their own, no need to care about family finances. And they don't care too much for their kids. o,o;; And humans really don't pose any sort of threat to them.

On the contrary, when a Sura hesitates in pursuing a human mate, they're just wasting the little time they could spend with said perseon. So, I think that's why they probably don't have any instinctual hesitations when it comes to courting a human mate. They just go at it with everything they've got (especially when they're in 3rd phase? :S ). I won't go so far and say they Force themselves on the human, but they are probably very forward. From the human POV, it must be quite overwhelming. XD

Fortunately, I think Rakshasa and Upani were quite able to communicate with humans back then if needed. I was actually quite interested in the fact that Vritra was reading something in the finite, so the Sura seem to have a writing system (though someone else pointed out that it could be Primeval God writing or something). Still, human worshipers could have learned this writing (which is probably considered heretical knowledge by now). If not, a Sura interested in humans could probably easily learn human language instead. Back when humans also worshiped Sura, Sura who knew human language were probably more common, and at worst they could find another Sura who does know to teach them.

And uh, Sura don't have much to do. With all those hundreds and thousands of years ahead of them, any Sura with any slightest interest in humans could surely set a few years/decades aside for learning the language? It's also possible that some could not know the language at first but still court the human in other ways (gifts and such), and gradually learn the language later.

Now that humans have all sided with the Gods though, most Sura probably stopped bothering.

There were still some Sura-human relationships before the Cataclysm though... apart from Ran's grandparents, there's also Leny, whose mother was a 5th-stage Upani. I'm starting to wonder what the story behind that is, and why Shess is taking care of her. Hmm....

... all that said, Currygom's world history isn't necessary G-rated. I mean, just look at the "beginning of the Universe." Rated R for sex and violence. D:

Kaiein: all the Sura races seem to have their specific characteristics, and Halfs seem to inherit them accordingly:

- Yaksha are strong (and Yaksha liver = boosts vigor :S )

- Garuda probably all have great eyesights (and eating Garuda eyes = boosts eyesight)

- Dragon Halfs are a more special case, and they inherit the Breath attack of their parent.

Kinnara Halfs are probably fast, and Gandharva Halfs uh... good at swimming? I'm rather curious about Asura and Ananta Halfs.... Ananta may be poison resistant? Asura Halfs uh... hopefully their stand-out point isn't high reproductive rate or anything like that. But anyway, funny, I don't think we've seen a single Ananta half, present or flashback, until now. We've even seem Asura ones (in the flashback in chapter 60).

Edited by Mizura, 21 May 2013 - 09:42 AM.

3492bk6.jpg