Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Adding "Scanlation Status" in Comic Description

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Seraphic Mist

Seraphic Mist

Russet Potato

• Retired Mods
  • 486 posts
  • LocationOtaku World

Like the title says; Can we add in Scanlation status in the description of the Comic/Manga/Manhwa?

Yes, there is Mangaupdates; should the reader wonder about the status of the comic. But, that doesn't guarantee that a reader may find out whether a manga has been dropped or not.One may be able to go to the Scanlator's website, but considering the theory (Sorry, did I say theory? I meant fact) that some people (not all, but some) would, and do, visit as few sites as possible, to minimize the risks of viruses.

The "status" doesn't have to be very drawn-out, just something simple like: "Scanlator Status: Dropped" or "Scanlator Status: On Hiatus" or something. And of course, if it is on-going, not necessary to add in a Description. And, of course, to add in the name of the Scanlator.

For example: Scanlator Status (XYZ Scanlation Team): Dropped

And say, if someone sees the manga description as Scanlation Status (XYZ Team): Dropped but it has been picked up by another team, should they wish to, they can edit it out/make appropriate changes.

Mind you, I'm not forcing anyone else to do it. I just plan to do it to some of my favorite projects, and I'll add it in for other Manga; wherever I see fit or find convenient. And this does not require a new feature to be added, and it'll be as non-intrusive as possible. Furthermore, it will be providing additional information to the reader, regarding the comic.

I'd appreciate your opinions on this. Feel free to criticize. But don't criticize for the sake of criticizing or post count. Tell me if you think whether this can be improved and how it can be improved.

EDIT: Fantasy Maid an example of what it may look like.

Edited by Shadowed Fate, 02 May 2013 - 04:03 PM.

Viscoun

Viscoun

Couch Potato

• VisTrans
  • 2,095 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

there's already a thread about this. in fact, i think there've been two.

Loki

Loki

Fried Potato

• Contrib Mods
  • 932 posts
  • Locationgo figure

We are currently doing that , but dropped isnt classified as status by scanlation groups , we cant be in everyone's heads knowing what they do with series.

Spoiler

Viscoun

Viscoun

Couch Potato

• VisTrans
  • 2,095 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

here we are: http://vatoto.com/forums/topic/12113-add-abandoned-scanalation-search-markerfilter/

Couch Potato

• Retired Mods
  • 3,043 posts

One may be able to go to the Scanlator's website, but considering the theory (Sorry, did I say theory? I meant fact) that some people (not all, but some) would, and do, visit as few sites as possible, to minimize the risks of viruses.

I want to assure everyone reading this, that I have personally checked mangaupdates.com a few seconds ago and I can confidently confirm that the site is clean and there are no viruses or malware on it. Please feel free to use it. Here, let me provide some proof of security:

https://www.virustotal.com/en/url/c3ac70590fe4a1da7eb737046d2c129c542454431c66986c92e1d1ff64213dc8/analysis/1367513893/

P.S. I am not affiliated in any way with mangaupdates.com, I am simply a fan who tries to help other fans. ;)

The opinions expressed by this user are solely their own and do not express the views of Batoto and its staff.

OMGWTFBBQPONIES

OMGWTFBBQPONIES

Equine non grata

• Members
  • 3,853 posts
  • LocationSan Escobar

I want to assure everyone reading this, that I have personally checked mangaupdates.com a few seconds ago and I can confidently confirm that the site is clean and there are no viruses or malware on it. Please feel free to use it. Here, let me provide some proof of security:

https://www.virustotal.com/en/url/c3ac70590fe4a1da7eb737046d2c129c542454431c66986c92e1d1ff64213dc8/analysis/1367513893/

P.S. I am not affiliated in any way with mangaupdates.com, I am simply a fan who tries to help other fans. ;)

*facepalm*

SF meant that some people think that any site different than few trusted ones (like facebook or their ISP's) might be infected (may be because they don't use any reliable protection) and thus won't visit SCANLATOR SITES - the most reliable way to find about series getting dropped.

on-topic: I have nothing against one more line of text in the description.

Mod-in-Disguise

FlQCNQa.gif

You <3

Whoever decided to delete this was an idiot.

| Handwritten kanji recognition || KanjiTomo || Kanji converter || J<->E Dictionary |

Viscoun

Viscoun

Couch Potato

• VisTrans
  • 2,095 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

101010... take a hint.

anyway... i think it's actually quite hard to determine whether something has been dropped or not, as some groups come back from the dead after several months (or even years) of inactivity and release a whole bundle of chapters. take seitokai yakuindomo, for example. the group that does the chapters, foolz, is known to do batches of around 10 chapters at a time and releases them every month or two months or so. of course, they release other things too, which makes it clear that they are active... but groups with only one or two projects who do the same may appear inactive.

if batoto provided mangaupdates links for every manga, then that would be good. and convenient, too. but reader sites never like linking other sites. no idea why. probably a case of inflated egos.

Seraphic Mist

Seraphic Mist

Russet Potato

• Retired Mods
  • 486 posts
  • LocationOtaku World

Viscoun and Loki:

Indeed. Regarding those threads - from what I've seen, they largely focus on changing the layout of the comics page. By making it more "Mangaupdates" as it were, by adding a lot of additional information and detail regarding the same. This may require additional coding -and/or features being added in. I don't know much about Websites and programming and coding, but this involves basic description-of-the-comic-editing, which I feel, is slightly different from the other users aims, which require Grumpy to tinker around with the website.

Also, I don't edit description to put what magazine it is published in (except when people switch around with genres)* how often it releases, how many volumes have been published, etc, etc. Like you all have said, there is Mangaupdates for that.

Spoiler

On the other hand, my intention is to merely add in Scanlator status of the project, if and only if the group is:

A] Defunct; or

B] Group or Staff has clarified that they dropped it. This may be have been stated in a written post, on their projects page, for instance.

Should the group, or a contributor, or even any normal member find the need to (Like for instance, when the said manga is picked up again); they are free to change the status of the comic - they are easily able to do so. I'm not forcing anyone else to do it, it's something I'm intending to do by myself... just like sniffing around manga without chapter titles.

101010- Thank you, but on this occasion as you can see, I mean Scanlator's websites. I would just like to clarify this.

Edited by Shadowed Fate, 02 May 2013 - 08:20 PM.

Viscoun

Viscoun

Couch Potato

• VisTrans
  • 2,095 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

On the other hand, my intention is to merely add in Scanlator status of the project, if and only if the group is:

A] Defunct; or

B] Group or Staff has clarified that they dropped it. This may be have been stated in a written post, on their projects page, for instance.

Should the group, or a contributor, or even any normal member find the need to (Like for instance, when the said manga is picked up again); they are free to change the status of the comic - they are easily able to do so. I'm not forcing anyone else to do it, it's something I'm intending to do by myself... just like sniffing around manga without chapter titles.

for defunct groups... one can always check the group's batoto page to clarify that, can't they? some staff may even post "we have dropped so and so" in the comments section. it's not unheard of.

all in all, this "dropped" status thing is way too ambiguous. it's true that it can be changed easily, but if something like this has to be changed all the time, then you might as well not implement such a system. checking project pages, sites, or comments can't be that inconvenient, can it?

Seraphic Mist

Seraphic Mist

Russet Potato

• Retired Mods
  • 486 posts
  • LocationOtaku World

for defunct groups... one can always check the group's batoto page to clarify that, can't they? some staff may even post "we have dropped so and so" in the comments section. it's not unheard of.

all in all, this "dropped" status thing is way too ambiguous. it's true that it can be changed easily, but if something like this has to be changed all the time, then you might as well not implement such a system. checking project pages, sites, or comments can't be that inconvenient, can it?

You're absolutely right about that. However, the thing about comments is, quite often they can leave the front pages and sink deep into middle pages of comments. And, it's not always that staff post "We have dropped the project". The comments section by and large, as you may have noticed and would agree with, can be unreliable sometimes.

As for project pages/sites, there are people who (myself included) don't tend to visit lesser-known scanlator websites for fear of Viruses/etc. And even on a few major scanlator websites, while a/the Project is listed as "Ongoing" or something similar, it turns out that it was dropped due to lack of interest and the website admin was - er - distracted from updating the status.

I did think of making a thread to post something like Scanlation Status but that has the same problem as Comments. It wouldn't be visible on the Comic Page often, and making a thread to post updates would be a major pain, since only moderators would be able to edit the post and fix the scanlation status. On the other hand, a simple line in the description - rest assured, I only plan to do this to a few projects that I follow - would be informative, without being too intrusive.

Say I'm following "Manga A" by Scanlation Team XYZ. Now Team XYZ states that they are dropping it due to whatever reason. I'll put a note in the description saying that the team has dropped it.  *

Spoiler

As other manga update, "Manga A" gets pushed down the follow list. Now suddenly, Scanlation Team LMN decides to pick it up. I'll notice it on my follows list; and fix the description accordingly. And, even if I fail to, sooner or later I would, or someone would notice it and fix it accordingly. (I hope)

Viscoun

Viscoun

Couch Potato

• VisTrans
  • 2,095 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

if scanlator sites had viruses... how the uploaders managed to download the files and upload them here can really only be left to our imagination. i think we should trust in mangaupdates not to list sites that only provide links to viruses and not to downloads. and as a scanlator, i know that a great deal of scanlators feed off of the appreciation of their readers. and i'm not sure a virus would help achieve that.

i agree with putting a line in the description about whether a manga has been dropped, though. it would certainly be much better than adding "dropped" to manga statuses. after all, a scanlation is a scanlation, and an official release/raw is an official release. statuses should only talk about manga releases in their countries of origin, not the statuses of unofficial scanlations.

in the end, it's about trusting the mods or readers to put such descriptions into the description boxes. ignoring comments from staff about dropped projects, or so-called "viruses", i think adding the "dropped" status would be entirely unnecessary. a scanlation status thread would be utterly pointless, since, as you said, it would be hard to maintain and if any group picked up a project, they would have to post in the thread as well. at least the comments thread has some use (allowing mods to control the deletion of comments.)

if you continue to put mentions of whether a manga has been dropped or not in description boxes (following investigation, of course), then i would support you on that. so please do continue doing so. ^_^

Edited by Viscoun, 04 May 2013 - 05:36 PM.

S.C.

S.C.

Baked Potato

• Contributor
  • 1,258 posts
  • LocationThe Epicenter of Indifference

How about a topic, titled "Group Announcements" under each comic? Kinda like those "Latest Topic Discussion" threads.

Posted Image