Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

[Serious RP] Out to Climb the Tower

Tower of God RP Roleplaying FATE

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

Altasaire

Altasaire

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 8 posts

This is a thread for creating characters and keeping track. Basically, all the players would be chosen regulars out to climb the tower from Tower of God.

This RP uses an RP system called "Strands of FATE". The basic idea is like DnD, although Strands of FATE is a lot more narrativist then DnD, basically it works a lot more like a story, and each character has themes special to him or her, called Aspects. It's a lot easier to learn than DnD.

Here's the link to the rulebook: http://www.mediafire.com/?ufeaayakvgt91ak (As far as I gathered, it's released under the Open Gaming Licence, so it's apparently not warez.)

Don't be intimidated by the book's size - a lot of it deals with stuff which is really unlikely to show up in a ToG game (for example, mass combat and vehicles are quite unlikely to show up, so you might only look through those sections if you have something specific in mind.)

Basically this works this way: You get ten Aspects, which define your character, like "Accepted Child of a Great Family", "Off the Grid" or "A Big Dumb Brute". You can invoke them (by spending a "fate point") to get some benefit you feel this aspect of your character should give in a scene. A GM can "compel" them, if they feel that they are somehow damaging or detrimental to you or somehow can get you into trouble.

You also get a pool of points to spread between 12 "Abilities" like strength or endurance, and a pool of points to spend on minor perks (called Expert Advantages), slightly more powerful perks (called Heroic Advantages) and special powers (called Power Advantages).

For this game, I as the GM am setting the Campaign Power level at the "Mythic Hero" level.

This means you get to spend 26 points on your abilities (with no ability higher than 4); and you get to spend 12 Advantage Points on your advantages (with no advantage costing more than five when everything is taken into account.)

The tech level for the starting characters is effectively 4, "Present Day", since technology significantly higher than that is unavailable to common regulars.

Starting as a member of a Great Family is allowed. However note that 1) this doesn't mean you'd be getting Zahard-Princess gear off the bat like the main character did, and 2) this might be a disadvantage as well as an advantage. And, of course, it'd make more sense if it's Ha, Koon, or Hendo.

Starting with one or more special abilities is although quite possible (even if it is not present in the book, I'll be quite okay with working out a writeup for one with a prospective player.)

In case any question arises - feel free to pelt me on my skype, which is alta.saire2, in this thread, or via PM.

Edited by Altasaire, 30 April 2013 - 01:36 AM.

Yaomo

Yaomo

Baked Potato

• Donator
  • 1,757 posts
  • Locationwathcing you from some place far away

i'll think about it. might be interesting to try, but i have to read the rules first.

あっ ちょっと死んじまった

Natsunya

Natsunya

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 89 posts
I won't miss such an oppurtunity.