Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Demographics

- - - - -

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14 replies to this topic

Abababa

Abababa

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 5 posts

Just thought you should know that demographics, such as shounen, seinen, josei ect. are not genres.

Edoc

Edoc

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 37 posts

Well, the fact is that for searching and categoring they do act as genres, can't you tell what a shounen is? :)

anyway, this has been alredy talked about, but I believe that nobody ever suggested anything so.. maybe the search function should have 2 separated filters, one for massive content categorys like shounen, seinen, kodomo.. and another one for normal categorys like action, drama.. it would be nice to be able to filter things properly, since that way the "or" & "and" filters would work right.

Abababa

Abababa

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 5 posts

Well, the fact is that for searching and categoring they do act as genres, can't you tell what a shounen is? :)

Except they don't, a genre is defined as

A category of artistic composition, as in music or literature, characterized by similarities in form, style, or subject matter.

Can you tell me what form, style or subject matter Ichigo Mashimaro and Shingeki no Kyojin share?

Edoc

Edoc

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 37 posts

Except they don't, a genre is defined as
Can you tell me what form, style or subject matter Ichigo Mashimaro and Shingeki no Kyojin share?

Please, don't start this again.. that definition speaks for itself, the style of a shounen is commonly know and really diferent from a seinen, a shounen can have lots of sub-genres but it is a genre itself, you can tell a shounen and a shoujo apart by its drawing, the plot, the character development, the drama..

When you make something for some kin of people you're restricting that work under some rules, and any other work with similar restrictions will be ending up being similar.

Anyway, this website gets the info from mangaupdates, and mangaupdates uses them as genres for the same reason I've told you, because they can be defined.

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts
  • Locationunderground like a wild potato

You're beating a dead horse. Every reader site I know uses the term "genre" or "tags" and includes shounen, shoujo, seinen and josei...........MangaUpdates included. This is a totally anal point in the context of reader sites. Maybe it makes some sort of difference in marketing, or somewhere else, but here it's of no matter. 

Oh, and by the way, you just joined today to make this point? You're not intentionally trying to stir up trouble maybe, are you?

Edited by svines85, 18 March 2013 - 05:24 PM.

Tn7HA0h.png

seyrine

seyrine

Unemployed Kitty In A Penguin Suit

• Administrators
  • 1,830 posts
  • LocationLurking nearby...
http://vatoto.com/forums/topic/6766-essence-of-the-genres/
http://vatoto.com/forums/topic/4884-mangaanime-demographic-labels/

I know this has been discussed before, I just couldn't find the exact topic.
Anyway, let's think of it piece-wise.

A demographic is a category of people.
A genre is a categorization of works based on a criteria (like you have said).

Therefore, we can conclude that the genre tags shounen (young boy), seinen (man), shoujo (young girl) and josei (woman) are referring to literary works specifically aimed at that target demographic. They can be considered as literary genres.

I'll try finding the thread where this was originally discussed, but that's the essence of the argument. It's taken out of context, not literally.

PS: If anyone can find the link to the topic where we discussed that, please post it here. :D

Edited by seyrine, 18 March 2013 - 05:25 PM.

Catch my story; the Neverender Series

Batoto's Rules Repository | Rules, Guidelines and FAQs

Rules and Regulations | How to get help | Frequently Asked Questions

If all else fails, PM me. And use the REPORT button if you see any content that may violate site policy.

Catch me on irc.idlechat.net (#seyrine) and D.F.T.B.A.!

Abababa

Abababa

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 5 posts

You're beating a dead horse. Every reader site I know uses the term "genre" or "tags" and includes shounen, shoujo, seinen and josei...........MangaUpdates included. This is a totally anal point in the context of reader sites. Maybe it makes some sort of difference in marketing, or somewhere else, but here it's of no matter. 

Oh, and by the way, you just joined today to make this point? You're not intentionally trying to stir up trouble maybe, are you?

I joined today to make this point because I had no reason to make an account before, I'm not trying to stir up trouble I'm just pointing out something incorrect on the website

Edit: Mangaupdates recognise that demographics aren't genres they just haven't change it.

Edited by Abababa, 18 March 2013 - 05:39 PM.

Edoc

Edoc

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 37 posts
The topic appears quite easily anywhere.. like here http://vatoto.com/forums/topic/10788-suggestion-restrict-genre-editing-to-contributors-only/

Maybe like I said in my first reply they should be apart from the main filter in a secondary filter like the manga, manwha, etc.. but they can't go away, they are categories no matter what, and highly needed if you want a proper filter.

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts
  • Locationunderground like a wild potato

I joined today to make this point because I had no reason to make an account before, I'm not trying to stir up trouble I'm just pointing out something incorrect on the website

All right, that's fine, and you're right, "genre" and "demographic" are two different things..............and that difference isn't addressed on reader sites. There's really no reason to do so. They're both searchable terms that are used to find particular types of stories. Again, the difference between the two terms makes no difference in this context. 

Tn7HA0h.png

Kalladin

Kalladin

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 293 posts

Edit: Mangaupdates recognise that demographics aren't genres they just haven't change it.

Thank you, but "Demographics isn't a genre" isn't a suggestion, unless you mean to imply something else.  This generally tends to poke the community in the wrong way so becareful what you say.  

I don't think you mean to imply we should remove the demographics from our search function, as that would if not cripple, cause a big change in how people search for manga.  

Abababa

Abababa

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 5 posts

Thank you, but "Demographics isn't a genre" isn't a suggestion, unless you mean to imply something else.  This generally tends to poke the community in the wrong way so becareful what you say.  

I don't think you mean to imply we should remove the demographics from our search function, as that would if not cripple, cause a big change in how people search for manga.  

I'm suggesting that you seperate demographics and genres, manga, manwha ect aren't being incorrectly described as genres. There isn't any reason why demographics should be.

Kalladin

Kalladin

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 293 posts

So what difference does it make?  

Abababa

Abababa

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 5 posts

So what difference does it make?  

One is correct, the other isn't.

Awwgasm

Awwgasm

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 1 posts

So exactly why do they have to be mutually exclusive?

seyrine

seyrine

Unemployed Kitty In A Penguin Suit

• Administrators
  • 1,830 posts
  • LocationLurking nearby...

The difference between the two terms makes no difference in this context.

Because it's referring to the target market of the series (which is how it's marketed in Japan).
Defining it in terms of its dictionary meaning, while technically correct, will lead to the terms being lost in translation.

Anyway, this has been repeated over and over again. I'd suggest searching for threads that account both sides of the argument.
Plus; right or wrong, correct or incorrect is just a state of mind. It's relative, subjective and therefore biased.

PS: There are other ways of making a grand entrance. Welcome to the forums btw.

Locking the thread.

Catch my story; the Neverender Series

Batoto's Rules Repository | Rules, Guidelines and FAQs

Rules and Regulations | How to get help | Frequently Asked Questions

If all else fails, PM me. And use the REPORT button if you see any content that may violate site policy.

Catch me on irc.idlechat.net (#seyrine) and D.F.T.B.A.!