Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Who wants to learn Japanese[Korean/Chinese]?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

Poll: Who wants to learn Japanese[Korean/Chinese]? (78 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you want to learn Japanese [Korean/Chinese]?

1. Yes, I really want to learn. (37 votes [47.44%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 47.44%

2. Yes, I will eventually learn hopefully. (30 votes [38.46%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 38.46%

3. No, I don't really care to. (7 votes [8.97%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.97%

4. No, for sure I wont. (4 votes [5.13%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.13%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Kalladin

Kalladin

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 293 posts
Spoiler

TL;DR

Post links to tools/links/books that helped you learn a language.  Please rate it as well, I don't want people feel bombarded in deciding which to book/tool/link to use when learning a language.  

Thank you, I had great feed back.  And those of you who want to learn Japanese or any langauge, the community fully supports you in your endeavor.  As bubbles suggests, if you have the time you can learn anything.  Well maybe I'm exagerrating, but good luck.  

You can either read the posts or just read this front post.  The posts are much more detailed and useful though.  I do suggest you read Kannade's post if you want to learn Chinese or Japanese.  

Tools/Sites to learn langauges:

Spoiler

Books:

Spoiler

Other Tools:

Spoiler

PS: The last post I've read and taken into account is #32.

Edited by Kalladin, 19 March 2013 - 02:43 AM.

Sui

Sui

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,179 posts
  • LocationBehind you
http://www.livemocha.com/

funny-text-haha-relatable-posts-stalker-

Katzen

Katzen

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 937 posts
i'm comfortable with Korean, although i don't really see a need to expand or retain this knowledge because i'm too lazy to translate. i barely read manhwa/webtoons to begin with. my interests has shifted to certain european languages though, and i use Anki for that. and Memrise.

яαιηвσω яσ¢кѕ ヾ(◍’౪`◍)ノ゙| SlhbZiq.gif

Horn

Horn

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,078 posts
  • LocationWelded to my computer chair.
Pimsleur is another language learning tool. It's supposed to give a very effective and stabile learning base.

But yeah, learning Japanese would be cool...

UIqflpq.jpg

Antalius

Antalius

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 492 posts
  • LocationLimbo
No need to learn it, Google Translate is accurate enough...oh wait
"It's not who you are underneath, it's what you do that defines you" - Batman begins

DarkPrince

DarkPrince

Cute Potato

• Members
  • 4,800 posts
  • Location「Between Brackets」
I would like to learn it................ in the future

I T ' S   O N L Y   F U N   I F   T H E Y   R U N

Kalladin

Kalladin

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 293 posts
Out of curiosity has anyone tried using a language learning tool? Certainly not me.

KeySquared

KeySquared

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 43 posts
  • LocationSomewhere

Out of curiosity has anyone tried using a language learning tool? Certainly not me.

Same here. I tend to buy a ton of books and study by myself.

It semi-works.

Current Raws for ToG: http://comic.naver.com/webtoon/detail.nhn?titleId=183559&no=189&weekday=mon

Please click to support the author!

Rjamwalters

Rjamwalters

Potato

• Members
  • 182 posts
I would like to learn japanese, and many other languages.

The thing is I won't be able to use them in the culture/environment I live in.

It's like being a master arrow craftier and can't use a bow for shit. Whyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Kannade

Kannade

Baked Potato

• Donator
  • 1,204 posts
  • Locationkonoha
I think the hardest one to learn by yourself out of all three of these is Chinese because you need a native speaker to make sure your tones are correct (if you're tone deaf, learning to speak will be pretty much a nightmare). I think the only good work around I can think of is if you record yourself, listen, and correct yourself over and over until you've mastered the sounds and tones. My all time favorite Chinese <-> English dictionary is http://www.nciku.com because you can use your mouse to draw in the characters instead of having to look them up by radicals and they have a wealth of example sentences. For class we use Chinesepod.com once in a while and you can get a lot of access to the content just using a free account, there's no need to pay for one. For the beginning and intermediate levels, I recommend the Integrated Chinese series. I don't recommend buying the character workbooks at all because you can just write the characters down on a regular sheet of paper to practice. If you need workbook answers, just message me because I still have all my old homework.

For Japanese I highly recommend the Genki series of textbooks for beginning and intermediate learners. You can find direct download links to the entire textbook, workbook, CD, and answer key set on the first page of the search results on google. There's a new Second edition version that just came out and when I compared the books there weren't enough changes to merit actually buying the second edition, 95% of the text and vocabulary are still the same. The only differences are that some of the older vocab words from the 90's like Cassette player have been replaced with more modern words like Personal computer and some sentences have been reworded in the reading texts (but the meanings are still the same). Don't buy the Yookoso! textbooks, they are terrible. My teacher thumbed through the book and there were a lot of times where vocab words/grammar points that aren't explained anywhere in the book were used in the reading texts.

For grammar help I use Tae Kim's guide (http://www.guidetojapanese.org/), and I recommend http://www.jisho.com because it's my all time favorite dictionary and it has a good number of example sentences. http://ejje.weblio.jp/ is alright for translation help also if you're really stuck, and if you honestly can't find a word in the English -> Japanese dictionaries, your best bet is to just go to a real japanese dictionary like http://dictionary.goo.ne.jp/ and try to read the definition or google translate the definition. When you need to look up kanji, just go to the nciku dictionary I linked above and manually draw it, then copy paste the character.

For all of the languages, any time you need to translate a place, name, or event, all you have to do is go to Wikipedia, look up whatever you want, then go to the side bar on the left and find the japanese/chinese/korean version of the article and the title of the article (the person/place/event) will be translated into the language you're looking for. I do this all the time and 90% of the time it works, the other 10% is when the article hasn't been written in another language yet.

Edited by Kannade, 02 March 2013 - 07:15 AM.

DevilzCry

DevilzCry

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 80 posts
  • Locationstuck in the corpse party
I would love to learn it but....
Its a pain...

Sleepy Ash

Sleepy Ash

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,176 posts
  • LocationOvunque io voglio essere credo.
I'v had enough trouble learning Italian. Any other language would be murder to me.

Spoiler

Zeƒƒ Schrödingo

Zeƒƒ Schrödingo

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,745 posts
  • Location64Pr^3n/Gd^4
i want to learn korean and japanese

My Story on tapastic
etohaha_zps6dafd725.gif

LE SAD TRUTH

Spoiler

ValorantX

ValorantX

Baked Potato

• Contributor
  • 1,601 posts
There's an iPhone app called Tae Kim's guide to Learning Japanese which is an excellent introductory guide and also free.

"Once you label me you negate me." - Soren Kierkegaard

shadow1like

shadow1like

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 16 posts
I already Speak Chinese but I want to learn Japanese

Gir

Gir

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • LocationIn my Unobtainium Fortress.
I would really love to, but it's such a pain memorizing Spanish vocab, many of which are cognates. Teaching myself a
completely foreign language from scratch seems very daunting.

*You've been wrong about every single thing you've ever done, including this thing.

You're not smart. You're not a scientist. You're not a doctor. You're not even a full-time employee.

Where did your life go so wrong?*
full_metal_alchemist_logo_by_jakelagman7

pierolefou

pierolefou

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • Location高雄市
If you want to learn a language, i first and foremost recommend you don't be half assed about it. Last semester's exchange student at my uni were for the most part lazy when it came to chinese classes. The few who actually did do it seriously even though it didn't get them any credits for their home uni really reached a comfortable level.

Otherwise, the thing that really helps me is reviewable cards. For the computer there is a program called anki that allows you to create cards of words you've learned and later test yourself. The dictionnary app for iOS and Android called Pleco also allows you to do so and is a great way to review on the go. It's only available for mandarin but there definitely is some equivalent app for other languages.

Also important, discussion ! Try finding a friend who speaks the language you want to learn be it IRL or on the internet, there is a bunch of websites for pen pals and a lot of asian people eager to improve their english.

But in the end it still comes down to studying seriously.

Rachnee

Rachnee

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 92 posts
After spending about an hour trying to learn the hiragana of the japanese language I realized something...learning japanese isn't hard it's just time consuming. Anyone else tried learning japanese and realize its actually a pretty easy language, just time consuming to learn?

softpick

softpick

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 371 posts
"After spending an hour"

.......I don't know man

upQffwT.png

Rol

Rol

Oui Purée

• Donator
  • 3,270 posts
I won't talk since I never tried but saying it's easy after an hour... Don't talk too fast ^^ But if you really find it easy, good for you ^^
( And maybe you should have posted in Who wants to learn Japanese[Korean/Chinese]? instead of creating a new topic. )

Edited by Rol, 11 March 2013 - 12:43 PM.

wtjpw658v4xz.gif