Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Lust no Fansub: Looking for proofreader ((native) English)

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

LeviathanX

LeviathanX

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 26 posts
Hi,

we (Lust no Fansub) need a proofreader. Best possible native English.

Our English projects are currently stalled since our proofreader is MIA since a few months.
Current English project is Kurogane Hime - I have chapters and profile pages (as well as background history pages which I didn't translate (too much text - too less time)) up to the end of Volume 2 (Volume 3 is on the way - yes I'm buying and importing that stuff from my own money; no donations so far). Currently Chapter 5, Chapter 6 and the profile pages are ready to be processed. Though our typesetter is somewhat ill driven and currently missing too... but we have an emergency filler for that position.

I'm the translator by the way http://vatoto.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/wink.png

I need someone reliable to proof my translations. Since English is not my mother tongue it happens that I create somewhat strange sentences during translation. Even though I'm using English since over 20 years now I'm still not fond with grammar (fun fact: I'm not even good at it in my natural language http://vatoto.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/biggrin.png )

Anyways, the strangeness is caused by the fact that I translate in up to three languages (Japanese -> my Language -> English or Japanese -> English) depending on the sentences.
Another need for a proofreader is the fact that Japanese is a bit of interpretation language. I sometimes see a narrow picture/scene and misinterpret so the person should be able to spill a word and tell me that my sentence might be interpreted in another way.

I usually deliver translations around weekend (if there is a proofreader). Thence the applying proofreader should have 1-2h spare around the weekend and around a half hour during weekdays for quick revision checks (the initial check usually takes up the longest time, the following revisions are small bits).
Translations come in a word document (.doc) with a tabular format containing the original sentence and the according translation (of course you'll get access to the RAW) Remarks and corrections are done in the corresponding lines.
It'll be a ping-pong-like system. I upload a revision, you check then I check your revision and so on until we both are satisfied.
I can deliver translations on weekly basis (each weekend) if nothing comes up in my schedule (I'll announce it!).

Ok, that's quite an amount of information, but I think that's the least that should have been said.

Well, I'm looking forward for applicants http://vatoto.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/smile.png

Any questions? Ask!

Kind regards and have a nice evening!

Edited by LeviathanX, 15 December 2013 - 10:14 PM.

animerebel4

animerebel4

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 68 posts
  • LocationU.S.A.
hello! i'm willing to help! I speak english (my first language and only besides a bit of spanish.) but i have no experience in proofreading ... ( I want to be a proofreader!!)... should a proofreader know how to translate japanese?

OchaMeido❣

OchaMeido❣

The Head Maid

• Contrib Mods
  • 1,728 posts
  • Location@ the Greenhouse Tea Party~

hello! i'm willing to help! I speak english (my first language and only besides a bit of spanish.) but i have no experience in proofreading ... ( I want to be a proofreader!!)... should a proofreader know how to translate japanese?

Lol, no~ proofreader is only needs to know english though if you do know some japanese, that will be awesome. but it isn't not required at all XD
I am speaking in terms of being an proofreader. Just need to know grammer rules, sentence structure, misspelling and whatnot...
^^~

ןן Tea Party~ ןן "THE BAR" ןן

ןןGuide to Uploading/deltin/sortin ןן

ןן[Must read] COMMENT SECTIONS RULES ן

Follow the comment sections' rules or else, you will be hanging at the edge of an cliff ^^
It maybe one step closer to death's door or an extension of your life's time.

animerebel4

animerebel4

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 68 posts
  • LocationU.S.A.

Lol, no~ proofreader is only needs to know english though if you do know some japanese, that will be awesome. but it isn't not required at all XD
I am speaking in terms of being an proofreader. Just need to know grammer rules, sentence structure, misspelling and whatnot...
^^~

Oh ok haha thank you! just checking because i can do that!! xP :)

LeviathanX

LeviathanX

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 26 posts
Animerebel4 if you'd work for us that would be cool.
As NyaulaWander said you don't need to know Japanese.
Even if it comes so far that you might need to know it then I'll write down a proper explanation. It worked out with this method for long.
So, if you're still in register in our Forum please and give Leon a message that you're the new proofreader for the English team. He'll give you the necessary status.

I'll upload a chapter later today.

Thank you :)

animerebel4

animerebel4

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 68 posts
  • LocationU.S.A.
Really?!??? Omg thank you thank you :) ill work hard!!

LeviathanX

LeviathanX

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 26 posts
You can never learn if you never get a chance to. :)
I've already uploaded your first work package ;)

LeviathanX

LeviathanX

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 26 posts

Ok, the position is open once again...

She suddenly disappeared.....

Anyhow....  job description is still the same

Additional note: since my real-life job is pretty much time consuming it CAN happen, that sometimes you won't much have work to do...

LeviathanX

LeviathanX

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 26 posts

Hmm... still no response :(

marthaurion

marthaurion

Potato Sprout

• Contributor
  • 6 posts

I'd be interested in trying 

LeviathanX

LeviathanX

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 26 posts

Hey! Thanks!

Would be cool if you register at our site and talk to Ixca to give you the according rights. I'll try to provide your first work package this weekend (was a bit busy this week)

We're looking forward to work with you :)

LeviathanX

LeviathanX

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 26 posts

By the way we need another one...

As it is... people seem to have delusions about that job.

A last time I say how it is:

• You need to download a well-formed document (Word .doc format)
  • Check about 20-50 pages of text per chapter for grammar issues, alternatives I put in, forgotten text bubbles
  • Eventually tell me sugesstions of "how to build a better sentence" (for better understanding)
  • Upload that one
  • Wait for my review and corrections
  • Download the next revision
  • Repeat this until we both are satisfied

Due to my real-life job that stuff comes in mostly around the weekends... So if you catch it around the week it's just fine. I don't have time everyday but mostly around the weekends.

If it's an urgent release then I'll reserve time for it during the week. In this case I'll give you notice and hope that you are able of quick responses as well; it would obstruct the sense of "urgent" otherwise. Btw. the time zone difference of up to 10 hours is just splendid -> I work on it while you sleep and while I sleep or being at work you work on it. In theory this is the ideal workflow; whenever one of us gets up or comes home from work the one can immediately start his/her part. But in practical terms that rarely happened...

Anyhow as things state... I do the proofreading myself.. takes much longer for a release since our typesetter has to re-set the chapters many times. I just can't imagine the stuff being in the text bubbles, I need it put in there to see what I did wrong or have forgotten (sometimes sentences are spread across two pages).  Matter of fact: if I fall-back in my style of writing for technical documents then it's not my loss; in a way it's just yours. This "hacky English" is my daily business; I have no problems reading/understanding it. Though I try my best to write "casual English"... and what's more critical: I can miss some parts... leading to V2 releases some time in the future

So let me give you some words about the current projects.

1. the main project Kurogane Hime is still ongoing, but currently on hold

2. we currently have a highly urgent surprise project... I'm translating my ass off here.. it's approx over 400 pages since it's a whole volume. This goal is next weekend if all goes well...

3. there is a re-vival project in the makings (three chapters already ready)... which I brought over from one of my former groups

So the person applying will be set on project #2 immediately...

which means direct start of work, no delays. Yes, being strict about this right now, because a. I got hold back due to my work and b. I really hate this slacking attitude... coming with promising "yeah I'll do it" and then leaving without a word... The heck?! Guys, I don't know if I'm a fast reader, but 40 pages can be read in less than an hour. For a native English speaking person seeing mistakes at once should be a piece of cake. So I wonder what the big deal is.  Is it really me? I try to be friendly to everyone, but honestly.. I don't get it.

Anyhow if I haven't give you the creeps, leave a note and if you decide to join get over to our forums, register and leave Ixca a message.

Thanks for reading... and I'm looking forward to a positive response...

Antiares

Antiares

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 4 posts

Hi! So are you still looking for people?

LeviathanX

LeviathanX

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 26 posts

Oh yes, we do...  and how we do...!!   :)

OchaMeido❣

OchaMeido❣

The Head Maid

• Contrib Mods
  • 1,728 posts

Oh yes, we do...  and how we do...!!   :)

Lol, makes no sense xP

A last time I say how it is:

•You need to download a well-formed document (Word .doc format)
•Check about 20-50 pages of text per chapter for grammar issues, alternatives I put in, forgotten text bubbles

That's a little eye-burning~ If you want someone to proofread that many pages, I suggest you talk to the lovely PervySageChuck.

He is amazing at proofreading~

Follow the comment sections' rules or else, you will be hanging at the edge of an cliff ^^

LeviathanX

LeviathanX

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 26 posts

Lol, makes no sense xP

Small test ;)

That's a little eye-burning~ If you want someone to proofread that many pages, I suggest you talk to the lovely PervySageChuck.
He is amazing at proofreading~

The chapters we have are always around that amount of pages. The urgent project which I mentioned actually has about 400 pages ready... I have translated everything mostly after work almost till midnight almost every day ... I talk about 10 chapters here, 4 need to be released before month ends (approx 160 pages).
The rest should follow with short delay... best before christmas.
I have another two chapters prepared which belong to the main project (not yet translated). For this project I still need to scan and translate the last two volumes....

Actually we need a reliable permament proofreader, not a 'jump in'... we once had two reliables and had almost monthly releases (our goal)
Due to the current situation our typesetter is totally overused, since he needs to typeset before I can proof my own stuff... I am not a person with good imagination capabilities after all. I need to see where the text belongs to, to tell that everything is really in the correct order (Japanese can be ambiguous at times). But that corrects only the meanings of the sentences... but not the grammar or my way of writing...

By the way... during the years I have i.proved my expressions in regards to that, so it's not always as much of work as it seems. When I began proofreaders had to correct almost every page with at least two sentences. My personal record, I think that was last year, less than 10 sentences in 40 pages :) *proud*
So 40-50 pages might sound like a lot of work... but sometimes it is not. I am always good for a surprise ;)

Edited by LeviathanX, 19 November 2013 - 08:43 PM.

OchaMeido❣

OchaMeido❣

The Head Maid

• Contrib Mods
  • 1,728 posts

has about 400 pages ready... I have translated everything mostly after work almost till midnight almost every day ... I talk about 10 chapters here, 4 need to be released before month ends (approx 160 pages).

the math here confuses me but well that is alot of releases O.O....  I think you mean 40 pages ^^''....

If you can release 40 pages per two weeks that will be amazing already~ Why do you work yourself/staff?x'D

*nods nods* true~

Arent you amazing, Leavia-kun~

LeviathanX

LeviathanX

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 26 posts
Nope, you read right. 400 (four hundred) pages have been translated.... I started around the beginning of the month... it was an awful lot of work...
Oh yes it was an extremly difficult manga...
I can translate a whole volume of a low-class manga (approx. 250 pages) in 8-10 hours incl. the usual copy I do.

E.g. Dive in the Vampire bund Vol. 1 had been copied and translated in 16 hours... our proofreader disappeared and it took a whole half year to release it. Man, I was pissed off!

Edited by LeviathanX, 19 November 2013 - 08:56 PM.

Antiares

Antiares

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 4 posts

well im new to all this and i just want to try. im open to learning and critiques. but if you want to hire me, my email is [email protected].

OchaMeido❣

OchaMeido❣

The Head Maid

• Contrib Mods
  • 1,728 posts

Lol , he is an fast one. Online for the post and then *poofs* he is gone!! x'DD