Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

None Mainstream Manga/Manhwa you'd recomend!

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

Aash666

Aash666

Potato

• Contributor
  • 123 posts
  • LocationOMFG idk .

Hey all!

(If any topic similar to this one was already created, or if it doesn't comply with the forums policy, please erase it...)

As implied by the title of this topic, it's sometimes a bit hard to find something interesting to read, I know we all have ToG, but while we wait for the new chapters, sometimes, it'd be great to have something else.

That's why I decided to create this: a topic where you can suggest manga/manhwas to your fellow ToG readers!

But there is one big rule! ToG isn't your average comic, it's awsome, and very different from what you usely read!
So please give here only the comics that are a bit special, either by theire theme, artwork, setting, etc... don't go like "Hey I'm a big Naruto fan! this manga is awsome!" because all (or most) of us know about it.

And I begin to get bored by all these mangas about highschoolers/middleschoolers (usualy outcasts, or nerds, or thugs) who come to have a super power, or whose daily routine is broken by a "supernatural" being who come in saying "please help me" or "you have a great destiny" and wow bang, there's a girl, and the guy becomes super strong and beats the bad guy, end of the story.
Please give us some good stuff that's a unusual, none mainstream!

Also, please present theme by giving, well the name of course, if it's a published work (so that people know if they can by it), if not, where to find it (good translation team), the kind of work it is (action, romance, supernatural, etc...), a sum up of the story, and if its not implied by your sum up, why it is special.

It can be anything, so please yourselfs!

PS: none written works count to (anime, other?).

I'll start:

Trace: Korean Webcomic on Daum, can be found about anywhere on the web (and I think it was published in a book version) / Action, Supernatural.
In a near future, monsters called "Troubles" have appeared. Around the same time, humans began to be born, or to get special powers to fight them. These humans are called "Traces" (as traces of troubles). The story follows a few different traces, one highschooler who was born a trace and who is hiding it, a middle aged man who became a trace and whose family was taken away because of it, and many others.
It was my first webtoon, and it amazed me because of it's format at first, then because the story is good. It's one of the rare stuff I've read where I could tell the guy had everything set up at the biggining.

Killer Stall: Webtoon on Naver / Action, Thriller.
It's the story of a man who used to be a hitman for a korean mafia boss in the US, who now lives in Seoul as the owner of a little restaurant, and whose past is getting back at him.
You get right into action from the first chapter, the hero isn't average (50 years old dude who has a family), and the art is pretty good. It also has a dark feeling from old thrillers.

Vagabond: Manga, I think it's being published everywhere / Biography, action, fighting.
Based on the biography of one of the last samurais, and one of the most famous ones (if not the most famous), Miyamoto Musashi, who was also a great strategist and a philosophe (philosopher? I don't remeber the correct english word, sorry).
The art is great, the story is great (and true), and even if it gets a little bit weird past a certian point, it's still worth it.

Ares: Manhwa, I don't if its been published out of Korea / Action, War.
The story of a fictional country, Chronos, trough the adventures of a young swordsman named Ares (greek god of war), who joined a mercenary group.
Even if the art isn't very good, it has it's charm, and the battle scenes are just breath taking, you can realy picture the movements, and the story is pretty fast to.

The Friendly Winter: Webtoon on Daum / Daily Life
The story of a 19 years old girl in the body of a 7 years old (she has a growth disorder), who lives and struggle to make both ends meet with her dad, who meets a 17 years old boy who has a mental age of a 7 years old (her opposit). They become friends and we learn more about their past.
I usualy don't read romance or daily life mangas, but this one is nice, heartwarming, and well pretty accurate about everyday life stuffs.

I also got: Kubera, Lessa, God of High School, Knight Run, Thesis, City of dead Sorcerer, Girls of the Wilds, Magician.
But I'm out of time to give a sum up right now, so I'll do it later.

Just a last one, for those who don't know it yet:

One Punch Man: Web Manga.
The story of One punch Man, a super hero who can defeat all his opponents with only one punch, and who gets bored because no one can put up a good fight.
It's a recent work (around 20 chapters for the moment), the art is great, and it reminds of old comic books with super heroes from the US.
I know a lot of you read it already, but for those who don't, GO NOW!!! It's one of the most amazing/awsome works i've read in a while (I mean new work, ToG is and always will be awsome)!

EDIT:
I plan to start watching Cowboy Bebop once I'm done with my exams, it's an old anime about a head hunter in space. I remember having seen a few episodes, and a friend of mine told me it's awsome.

REEDIT: If you have some great works in your country (I know on this forum are from all around the world), and it's being published in other countries or even online (it would be illegal, but the only way to find it abroad), feel free to name them! For exemple, there is a french comic named "Freeks Squeele" that has been translated on Batoto, read it it's great!

wooow really really long thread xD

Manga -Manhwa

uhmm sorry my list is really tiny.. 'cause i read less of shounen and i prefer shoujo (action supernatural and vampire/demon types)

but these are my all time faves! have a read ^_^

AND YES there is this new korean like chinese webtoon called city of blood Posted Image and try reading this non-action but AWSUM mystery - Watashitachi no Shiawase na Jikan Posted Image

Aash~ ^^

Posted Image

~eyes burning with hope yet feels empty~

~Aash~

Ra-Leader

Ra-Leader

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 272 posts
I dare you to read 7 Seeds and dislike it. It's the only shoujo I can tolerate, but it's so good that I place it in my top 5 drawn fiction (including us comics) of all time.

Genre is sci-fi/ adventure/ suspense/ romance.
No superpowers involved. It's about a bunch of people who are hand selected by Japanese society to be a part of a program that will resuscitate humanity decades after an asteroid is expected to destroy human civilization. Highly scientific and with an intense devotion to,realism and psychology, this is a magnum opus unlike any other comic that I am currently reading. Amazingly, not a single chapter is filler and/or wasted. Thus far, the author has never retconned anything or 'jumped the shark' with anything content that is forced or outrageous.

Blecod

Blecod

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 6 posts

Molester man romance/slice of life

It's about a guy who is a complete loner, but one day he is mistaken for a molester and it changes his life.

Oh and it's based on a true story.