Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
* * * * * (4.7 - 467votes)

Otoyomegatari

Alt Names: alt A Bride's Storyalt Arojen Morsiametalt เจ้าสาวแห่งทางสายไหมalt 乙嫁語りalt Brudens Fortellingeralt Gelinin Hikayelerialt Historia de Noviasalt Οι ιστορίες της νύφηςalt The Bride's Storiesalt Young Bride's Story (German)
Author: Mori Kaoru
Artist: Mori Kaoru
Genres: Award Winning Award WinningComedy ComedyDrama DramaHistorical HistoricalRomance RomanceSeinen SeinenSlice of Life Slice of Life
Type: Manga (Japanese)
Description: Set in Central Asia in a rural town near the Caspian Sea during the early 19th century, the story revolves around a young woman, Amir, who arrives from a distant village across the mountains to marry Karluk, a boy eight years her junior. The story unfolds among details of everyday family and community life. However, the peaceful atmosphere is disturbed when Amir's family demands to take her back to their village.
Go to Otoyomegatari Forums! | Scroll Down to Comments
The following content is intended for mature audiences and may contain sexual themes, gore, violence and/or strong language. Discretion is advised.

Latest Forum Posts

Topic Started By Stats Last Post Info
Topic Romanticizing ownership of women. New Window truepurple
  • 123 Replies
Topic Cultural accuracy New Window Tadao
  • 14 Replies
Topic Otoyomegatari Chapters New Window Pold10
  • 44 Replies
Topic Kaoru Mori Illustrating Amir. New Window JTai
  • 7 Replies
Topic Mr Smith wimps out. New Window truepurple
  • 73 Replies

1048 Comments

Usually when someone says "I'm going back soon" or " I'm gonna survive and confess to my lover" or something along the lines, something tragic happens. In doujins, usually related to NTR. Here tho, maybe karluk or amira just dies. These lines are known as flags. So never, ever, utter these words.

But this is trying to tell historical stories about women marrying and being married. In real life it means you'll be back soon. I had a long distance relationship for a couple years and we said this all the time. Yet here we are, almost 20 yrs later and still going strong. We're not an exception either. So take a breath and relax, these are nice stories.

Death Flag. Who else want to go and kick that bad influence guy's butt? xD

This was a much needed chapter for our main couple. I'm so glad they are finally addressing Karluk's insecurities about his age. 

Also nice to see Amir's perspective. I was always wondering how she could be so accepting and tolerant but considering the alternative, she really got off lucky.

its toooo shooooooorrrrrrtttttt aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
damn I forgot how Vanilla Kaoru Mori can be

Forgot?

She is the epitome of vanilla, just in extremely detailed cultural settings. Not that it's a bad thing of course.

its toooo shooooooorrrrrrtttttt aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

damn I forgot how Vanilla Kaoru Mori can be

Well

Spoiler

What are you talking about exactly ?

Usually when someone says "I'm going back soon" or " I'm gonna survive and confess to my lover" or something along the lines, something tragic happens. In doujins, usually related to NTR. Here tho, maybe karluk or amira just dies. These lines are known as flags. So never, ever, utter these words.

Dammit if that last page wasn't a bad flag.

What are you talking about exactly ?

The suckier thing is with the societies which require a dowry. In those women often can't really earn a living and the family has to pay the groom to take on te wife. A family with many daughters is kinda stuck in a hole.

I kind of wonder what shapes certain societies towards having dowries and others a bride price.

Usually, marriages were as much about financial stability of the families as it was about the actual couple.  It served to create a family bond between the two.  Most of these old traditions were about keeping a society stable and functioning so that there was a network of support in dire situations.  You have to take a step out of modern society, where there is so much infrastructure to guarantee a minimum level of safety and supply of necessities.  A society back then that didn't have solid clan alliances and whatnot would easily devolve into chaos at minor setbacks.

Dang. All that talk about bride price makes me think about the man's side of things for once.

I've always thought that ancient women had the short end of the stick - basically being sold off by their parents while they're still children to some man many years older than them - but look at poor Joruk and Azel. They have to remain bachelors just because they don't have enough wealth to attract a wife.

Ancient marriage customs suck for all parties.

The suckier thing is with the societies which require a dowry. In those women often can't really earn a living and the family has to pay the groom to take on te wife. A family with many daughters is kinda stuck in a hole.

I kind of wonder what shapes certain societies towards having dowries and others a bride price.

I got to thank Karluk for asking the question I was burning to ask Azel and company... "Why do you guys not have wives?!"

I was also hoping to have an arc focusing on Azel's bride, but as Joruk says himself, it is unlikely. Plus the story is drifting towards a plot-important arc that focuses on our main pair.

That is usually worn on the shoulder if not both, not on one extended arm. You do know it's a punishment to hold even something light out like that for more than 3 minutes right?

I think many berkutchi actually use a special arm rest attached to their saddle to support their arm/eagle, maybe that's a more modern tool though idk (or maybe Mori thought it'd look cooler without!)

Oh man I had no idea EMBROIDERY: THE MANGA was on this site. Followed!

13 pounds is almost equal to 6 kg

is that right ? that'd be close to a full schoolbag for kids

That is usually worn on the shoulder if not both, not on one extended arm. You do know it's a punishment to hold even something light out like that for more than 3 minutes right?

Dang. All that talk about bride price makes me think about the man's side of things for once.

I've always thought that ancient women had the short end of the stick - basically being sold off by their parents while they're still children to some man many years older than them - but look at poor Joruk and Azel. They have to remain bachelors just because they don't have enough wealth to attract a wife.

That is still the norm for Asian people. Men are expected to be the main financial source of the family.

Dammit if that last page wasn't a bad flag.

I once saw in a newspaper that there was a study showing that men live longer if they are married to a woman but women married to men suffer a life expectancy decrease instead...

Makes sense! Considering all the stress we have to go through babysitting them! [/badjoke]

Now, in all seriousness, I guess that must be true, but I don't have the chance to find out, and I'm not too keen on getting first-hand experience either (lesson learned!)

31 here, and rather than cry about it, I enjoy the advantages of not having to feed any larvae or take care of a male bug. Look at the bright side! °v° d

I once saw in a newspaper that there was a study showing that men live longer if they are married to a woman but women married to men suffer a life expectancy decrease instead...

I really hope this should be an interlude to Joruk or Azel's bride arc, but the winter wind of Russia's coming make me fear even if that's happening it would be a knife twist.

Maybe he ends up with a russian girl.

I really hope this should be an interlude to Joruk or Azel's bride arc, but the winter wind of Russia's coming make me fear even if that's happening it would be a knife twist.

Do-DOOT! Do-doo do-doo do-DOOT! You understood perfectly °v° d

Thanks for the new release!!!

• RSD likes this

31 here, and rather than cry about it, I enjoy the advantages of not having to feed any larvae or take care of a male bug. Look at the bright side! °v° d

That's a death flag if I've ever saw one.

Search Comics

Highest Rated Series

Recently Added Comics