Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
* * * * - (3.99 - 345votes)

Ever Green (KASUKABE Akira)

Alt Names: alt エバーグリーンalt Evergreen
Author: Takemiya Yuyuko
Artist: Kasukabe Akira
Genres: Comedy ComedyDrama DramaPsychological PsychologicalRomance RomanceSchool Life School LifeShounen ShounenSlice of Life Slice of LifeTragedy Tragedy
Type: Manga (Japanese)
Description: Yoshimatsu Hotaka is the president of the manga club and is always diligent with his school life and club activities, but even though he looks like a regular honor student in reality we have that there is something really odd with him; he has this bitter ~ heavy ~ melancholic look and is almost always looking at Awaya Niki, the beautiful, bright, radiant, super cheerful swimming club's female ace.

Why does Hotaka act all bitter like that? And what will become of him as the sports teacher orders him to have at least "one secret swimming class lesson" where no one is supposed to be looking, whereas he normally skips class activities due to personal matters?
Go to Ever Green (KASUKABE Akira) Forums! | Scroll Down to Comments

Latest Forum Posts

Topic Started By Stats Last Post Info
Topic Evergreen - Latest Chapter Discussion New Window greensoulreaper
  • 22 Replies
Topic Latest raw chapter New Window l.kostas
  • 0 Replies
Topic Toradora again? New Window Irecinius
  • 11 Replies

1051 Comments

This ending sucked hard and the manga was actually good until it...I hope in a bonus chapter in the final volume with the 2 in a another town, together and enjoying wincest.

Wow, the mangaka didn't go for the best and cliché end. I should be happy for that but, that normal end... is just no fun at all!

b67afd5a34.png

Holy shit so that's the meaning of the title?

Fvcking sad d20d5b6290.jpgno seriously it's so sad...

11/10 for the title meaning

11/10 for artwork

for story... mmm... the light vader thingy too syit...

I'm so sad author doesn't have the balls to go incest route. I mean if it's not hentai they never go incest route. the only one I knew that go incest route is Koikaze.

Nah in shoujo (or some might be josei), some really went that route.

Spoiler

But overall, for series, seems like Koi Kaze still the winner haha 

Feels like the editors axed it once it went down the incest route and not because of a lack of popularity.

Oh wow. It has been a while since I have seen such a crappy ending in such a good shoujo manga.

I guess this takes skills too, failing like this at the end. GJ mangaka...

Btw did this get axed or something ? Because I really don't want to believe this was the end mangaka thought of all this time

While I know this isn't what the author intended, it just feels really weird having him going on about making her immortal after having what could be interpreted as a pseudo-religious psychotic breakdown (going on about being chosen and receiving signs from his dad).

Can't help but imagine Hotaka drowning Niki in embalming fluid while gently whispering "You're going to be beautiful forever. You'll be immortal. Just like dad wanted."

I interpreted his talk of immortality as him immortalizing her, the girl he loves in this moment, inside his heart. So no matter what happens, she will always be there exactly as she was.

To be perfectly honest, I'm not entirely convinced they've both moved on from having a relationship -- merely I can only guarantee it's not public. Them talking about On-chan and Soga obviously going out but denying it all the time right before talking about the main two adds to my suspicion. This feels like it got a very Oreimo ending. Casting aside their open association for a more private one (their very friendly casual wave when no one was looking speaks volumes for their level of interaction when no one is around). Whether that includes romance or not I do not know for sure, but I hated that same open-endedness that appeared in Oreimo too. There's just nothing satisfying about it. 

While I know this isn't what the author intended, it just feels really weird having him going on about making her immortal after having what could be interpreted as a pseudo-religious psychotic breakdown (going on about being chosen and receiving signs from his dad).

Can't help but imagine Hotaka drowning Niki in embalming fluid while gently whispering "You're going to be beautiful forever. You'll be immortal. Just like dad wanted."

I...

I....

*slow claps*
*stops in middle of clapping*
*slowly turns back with depressed eyes*
*walks away silently*

...this ending.

Ugghh now i know what a thing named bittersweet feels like...

This is one of the worst ending I've ever seen.

I really don't know what to say,how to express how disappointed I am.

Ha! I'm so glad they didn't go the cheap incest route.

I'm so sad author doesn't have the balls to go incest route. I mean if it's not hentai they never go incest route. the only one I knew that go incest route is Koikaze.

Incest route cheap? Rather than it being cheap, it would be the more surprising ending. Very rarely do serialized series have the balls to do it. Almost universally they pull out at the last moment just like this. This was the cheaper of the endings to me. It's totally typical.

Magic firefly dad was pretty embarrassing though. If I were Hotaka, I'd be dying of shame after that ridiculous outburst as they were running for their lives...

The butthurt in these comments is simply delectable. Thank you for the giggles, my friends.

h7mnmcY.gif

Ok, putting the ending aside, (because if I talk about the ending I get the feeling we'll be arguing for years), can anyone tell me where this immortality theme thingy came from?  Because I don't recall it being talked on until the ending chapters.  It just sorta came out of nowhere to me.  Maybe I forgot something?

No, this was done by the mangaka who did Toradora! and Golden Time. What a monumental letdown.

I know. Toradora! and Golden Time were originally light novels before being adapted into manga, hence the question.

I've searched, but as far as I could gather, Evergreen was an original manga. I guess the author fares much better writing light novels first rather than trying her hand at direct manga serialization.

Wait... what?

- First: sweet romance...

- then: pure drama

- And finally: Mediocre ending

I feel betrayed ;-;

Read it. Read it and lament at the waste of a beautiful premise.

I feel that "premise bait" should be a term for shit like this.

Was this based in any light novel or anything? Because that ending just handwaved a lot of elements it had been building up until now. I mean, just one chapter before (not taking into account the express resolution for On-chan) she declared her everlasting hate for him, the one who took everything from her, and then she just opens the door crying "I'm sorry! I like you again now for some reason!".

Yes, there was much foreshadowing leading up to this, but the amount of loose plot points was far too maddening to care.

No, this was done by the mangaka who did Toradora! and Golden Time. What a monumental letdown.

This ending in a single picture:

Spoiler

Was this based in any light novel or anything? Because that ending just handwaved a lot of elements it had been building up until now. I mean, just one chapter before (not taking into account the express resolution for On-chan) she declared her everlasting hate for him, the one who took everything from her, and then she just opens the door crying "I'm sorry! I like you again now for some reason!".

Yes, there was much foreshadowing leading up to this, but the amount of loose plot points was far too maddening to care.

wow..what a scam. even all the shitty, forced humor in the world can't justify that mediocre ending. immortality huh? say that again when she gets over you and starts going out with someone else who unlike you will act on his desires. hot girl with big plots who's really fit from all that swimming and wears a bathing suit all year round? how long can it take?

But, but... Where's my incest ending? :((((

I am deeply upset that there is no wincest, I felt cheated ;_;

Meh on the ending.

I dunno, the whole father, stabbing, heart condition, death, sibling, romance, hatred, drama was a bit much to end it with such a "hippy" ending about their relationship being immortal and evergreen. I would have considered this a fitting ending if all of the melodrama and dreamy murder stuff was left out and it had just focused on their relationship with the same even-keeled tone as the ending.

Search Comics

Highest Rated Series

Recently Added Comics