Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Toradora again?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Irecinius

Irecinius

Potato

• Members
  • 185 posts
So is he going to end up with the fox of his dream, or the manga club member?

Since childhood friends, and or crushes/first loves never stand a chance?

greensoulreaper

greensoulreaper

Potato

• Contributor
  • 152 posts
Too early to tell from just the first release. Looks interesting so far, and if its by the author of Toradora, then I have expectations that this will be just as great.

TheGodfather

TheGodfather

Batoto Chief Mafioso

• The Company (inactive)
  • 481 posts
  • LocationAustralia
I could tell you if I wanted to ^.^
Spoiler

i fucking love fembot for hustling on GB with Kareia and Kento <333333

theroadstopshere

theroadstopshere

Russet Potato

• Donator
  • 366 posts
  • LocationThat great potato farm in the sky
Dead thread is dead... (But maybe that'd be different if there were more than two chapters out, who knows?)
Based on the second chapter, it looks like his friend is actually more likely to help him with his love than she is to become a rival. Looks to be interesting in the future, anyway.

I could tell you if I wanted to ^.^

Eh? Does that mean this series is already done?
"Life isn't about lasting through the storms, its about learning to dance in the rain."

tirazai

tirazai

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 33 posts
I still waiting for the new chapter to come out... Lol, i pity at the heroine though, she was just trying to help..
Posted Image

oninn

oninn

Potato

• Contributor
  • 175 posts
  • LocationNot tellin'
The girls(Awaya and his Kohai) are just too cute! But it seems that we need to wait a few more weeks for the latest chapter... ZzzZzzZZzz. Abyway, the story is quite exciting and it makes me remember my childhood days. (What the hell I'm talking about!? I'm still 17, you know?)

Visit our Blog! Also, try visiting my deviantart!
Inclined just for you.
I am normal.

Irecinius

Irecinius

Potato

• Members
  • 185 posts
Interesting,, I like the vice-pres but seems she got nothing on him, neither does he..
Thats kinda good..

but could be that blond girl is like a cousin to him now?

Purple Library Guy

Purple Library Guy

Fried Potato

• Donator
  • 695 posts
  • LocationCheck Rivendell, or Vorbarr Sultana, or Adrilankha. No? Try Vancouver.
Well, currently my bet is that while
1. Vice-pres childhood friend loves him and all and is just being generous backing him with Awaya,
2. Actually, vice-pres is going to end up with player-guy; that third wheel fellow interested in v-p is prodding the situation to the point where he'll start to realize the reason he's so 'irritated' by her is that he has feelings for her. And she in turn may be hard on his womanizing ways because she has buried feelings of her own. It's a classic romance manga dynamic, although it usually happens to lead characters (and is more common in shoujo I think).
In ch. 5 we've just seen how that guy has the classic characteristics of the about-to-be-redeemed player in romance manga: He doesn't chase girls that strongly, mostly going with whoever asks; he doesn't really care about any of them, but he doesn't two-time or dump them; rather, they dump him as they realize they can't have his heart, yadda yadda. This makes him paradoxically pure. He's a player, but not a predator, not a cheater, not a betrayer, and has hurt nobody. Meanwhile, he's been with plenty of girls, but in a sense hasn't been with any; his heart is untouched, ready to be faithful to the girl he genuinely cares about and all that. I've seen it in rafts of manga; the boy is ripe to fall for the one girl who actually gets under his skin, in this case vice-pres.

This could work out nicely--you've got the main romance between characters who are on the melancholy/dramatic side (even the girl, though that's been less obvious up to now), so those two will compensate with a more lighthearted comedy dynamic, and add a bit of complications, triangles or what, which seem kind of hard to bring into the main duo who are frankly only stopped by shyness from falling in each other's arms a destined couple; I can't see any actual people having a hope of coming between them.

What's Toradora like, anyway? I know it's well known, but I read a lot of yuri and if I remember right it's one that's notorious/resented/disliked among yuri readers for having disappointing fake/undermined yuri, so I never looked at it. Not quite sure I'm thinking of the right one, though.

Edited by Purple Library Guy, 01 June 2012 - 07:47 PM.

Q-kun

Q-kun

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 3 posts

What's Toradora like, anyway? I know it's well known, but I read a lot of yuri and if I remember right it's one that's notorious/resented/disliked among yuri readers for having disappointing fake/undermined yuri, so I never looked at it. Not quite sure I'm thinking of the right one, though.

Wow. I don't know where to start or say anything about this but just search for the authors other work or google Toradora.

BDark

BDark

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 2 posts

In ch. 5 we've just seen how that guy has the classic characteristics of the about-to-be-redeemed player in romance manga: He doesn't chase girls that strongly, mostly going with whoever asks; he doesn't really care about any of them, but he doesn't two-time or dump them; rather, they dump him as they realize they can't have his heart, yadda yadda. This makes him paradoxically pure. He's a player, but not a predator, not a cheater, not a betrayer, and has hurt nobody. Meanwhile, he's been with plenty of girls, but in a sense hasn't been with any; his heart is untouched, ready to be faithful to the girl he genuinely cares about and all that. I've seen it in rafts of manga; the boy is ripe to fall for the one girl who actually gets under his skin, in this case vice-pres.

I really liked this analysis on Soga and I pretty much agree with it, except the part where she gets under his skin; it's the reverse: he gets under hers. I'm pretty sure that On-chan likes Soga and is acting like a tsundere because she doesn't like how easily he agrees to go out with just about anyone who is attractive.

I think that the story will progress something like Yoshimatsu + Awaya relationship with some On-chan + Soga relationship dispersed in the story.

Toradora is far from disappointing and anyone who believes otherwise either can't stand shoujo or can't enjoy better manga. It has no hint of yuri at all, and I will always recommend watching the anime (since the manga is so slow to be scan-lated.)

Back on the topic to this thread -- I don't see how this is like Toradora at all.

rpapo

rpapo

Potato Spud

• Contributor
  • 29 posts
  • LocationUSA

(since the manga is so slow to be scan-lated.)

I'm not entirely sure, but it appears the manga is being published only one chapter a month. They do not appear to be behind what I can see available for purchase on Amazon JP. In any case, the Toradora manga (IMHO) exists only as a way to make more money off the Toradora light novel and anime. It doesn't bring anything new to the table, from what I see. The anime was well done, but the books were far more.

Exel Goh

Exel Goh

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 1 posts
Interesting comparison, but I don't think this is going the way of Toradora. Sure, the jokes are there, but slapstick is heavier in Toradora. This seems more to me like a teenage drama with the familiar seasonings of romance, jealousy, comedy and misunderstandings.

I don't quite like the tragedy tag there. It implies that there's a little more to it than just the fathers passing away. Hoping its not the case.