Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
* * * * * (4.62 - 484votes)

Overlord

Alt Names: alt 不死者之王alt โอเวอร์ ลอร์ดalt オーバーロードalt 오버로드alt Maharajaalt OverLordalt Повелитель
Author: Maruyama Kugane
Artist: Miyama Fugin
Genres: Action ActionAdventure AdventureComedy ComedyDrama DramaFantasy FantasySeinen SeinenTragedy Tragedy
Type: Manga (Japanese)
Description: The story begins with Yggdrasil, a popular online game which is quietly shut down on its last day. Our protagonist Momonga decided to stay until the last moment in his beloved game and wait for the force logout. Unexpectedly, the server did not shut down and Momonga is stuck in his skeleton body and got transferred to another world. "The powerful Overlord" needs now to discover a new world and face the continuous challenges.

Having no parents, friends, or place in society, this ordinary man strives to take over the new world the game has become.

Based on the light novel of the same name.
Go to Overlord Forums! | Scroll Down to Comments
The following content is intended for mature audiences and may contain sexual themes, gore, violence and/or strong language. Discretion is advised.

Latest Forum Posts

Topic Started By Stats Last Post Info
Topic That last joke... New Window mrponeis
  • 0 Replies
Topic What's going on with this storyline New Window makuta2
  • 3 Replies
Topic Webnovel New Window Budda523
  • 7 Replies
Topic Looking for another title with the same plot New Window kenshinco
  • 9 Replies
Topic Is this all the manga? New Window GuloGulos
  • 1 Replies
Topic Is this all the manga? New Window GuloGulos
  • 0 Replies

1153 Comments

So you think stuffing about 90% of a 300+ page novel into a single manga chapter is okay? And that the storytelling of that chapter is actually expected to be good? Please tell me more about how you would condense down 300 pages of text into 50 pages of tiny text bubbles still have it turn out good.

Do you know what a 'chapter' is? Or are you seriously trying to claim that chapter 1 of the manga is the entire first volume of the LN

Also for some reason whenever i see imercenary commenting on a manga its basically always negative, like seriously Im a fan of fantasy stories like this so I go around looking for manga/LN like Overlord, Re;monster, The Legendary Moonlight Sculptor, Tsuyokute new Saga etc etc. Seeing as I tend to find comments from imercenary on the mangas of several LN I read I can assume he likes reading the same things. But for every single one all his comments were negative for various reasons (some of which i disagree on, ill just leave it at that), looks like this one is no different.

Because my tastes aren't the same as yours? That happens you know.

so... you want 3 pages of the mc just thinking to himself?

No, it just means that it's hard to preserve the LN during the conversion to manga form. Some stories just don't work that well with visual media like anime/manga.

The LN is a bit better in writing/dialogue.

This first chapter skipped a ton of shit just so it can end with the famous meeting/gathering image.

P.S. Overlord isn't evil at all.

Spoiler

what is LN?

LN = Light Novel = the book

what is LN?

I don't usually say this but yeah... the LN is far superior to this.

One of the most enjoyable things to see in Overlord is the main character's thoughts and how he formulates the plans in such a way to minimize the risks.

This manga just skipped all that and showed the result.

LN = death note ep <= 23, Manga = death note ep >= 24

so... you want 3 pages of the mc just thinking to himself?

I don't usually say this but yeah... the LN is far superior to this.

One of the most enjoyable things to see in Overlord is the main character's thoughts and how he formulates the plans in such a way to minimize the risks.

This manga just skipped all that and showed the result.

LN = death note ep <= 23, Manga = death note ep >= 24

The MC is a certain kind of awesome so far.

"this amazing degree of customizability"  if he had or not was up to him however (most poeple would like to have) the whole R18 law thing deppends on what you do with something (the touchs boob not allowed under R18 )  this is unimportant becouse I have not seen his feet or for that matter anything uder his ribcage there might not be anything there

what I mean is the genitalia. If real censorship law in Japan require it to be blurred then what of a virtual realm. Is their version of law demand for it to be left out.? But more likely it changed the moment of reaching zero...hopefully.
Ha, seeing this manga reminded me that I needed to check up on the LN.

Btw for those who didnt read the LN, the twin dark elves (yes thats what they are) Aura is female while Mare is male. Yes thats right, the energetic one in a suit is a girl while the timid one wearing the skirt is a boy...someone say trap?

Also for some reason whenever i see imercenary commenting on a manga its basically always negative, like seriously Im a fan of fantasy stories like this so I go around looking for manga/LN like Overlord, Re;monster, The Legendary Moonlight Sculptor, Tsuyokute new Saga etc etc. Seeing as I tend to find comments from imercenary on the mangas of several LN I read I can assume he likes reading the same things. But for every single one all his comments were negative for various reasons (some of which i disagree on, ill just leave it at that), looks like this one is no different.

Oh well, ill just keep on reading what interests me and imercenary can keep on going and complaining about everything he reads.

Dont get me wrong, not saying that this manga and the others i mentioned are perfect, just AT LEAST good enough for me to read in my spare time for ENJOYMENT. You know...the entire reason why we read stuff like this in the 1st place, not to complain about every single detail that you didnt like.

Thank god they skipped all the boring parts of the LN. I don't get why people are complaining. I had to force myself to read the first couple of chapters but the manga was interesting right away.

MidoriKitzune
Dec 12 2014 08:57 PM

So you think stuffing about 90% of a 300+ page novel into a single manga chapter is okay? And that the storytelling of that chapter is actually expected to be good? Please tell me more about how you would condense down 300 pages of text into 50 pages of tiny text bubbles still have it turn out good.

It done a good job.

Fact is that they left out alot uneeded stuff... the beggining could be shortened and they did it.

MidoriKitzune
Dec 12 2014 08:37 PM

YESSSSSS+++++****+++

And i think an anime is commign too...

I loved the LN. Atleast what is translated till now~

Saying that the first chapter "skipped a ton of shit" really just means the LN's writing is shit. Chapter 1 is 50+ pages long and they still have to skip stuff? Wtf?

The fact that we're introduced to so many characters from the very beginning isn't even funny. Don't front load a cast so goddamn big you're introducing 3 characters on a single page, multiple times. 

The info-dumping in the first 2 chapters is pretty daunting. I almost lost interest because of it. However, after the setting is established, the story begins to flow smoothly and it's quite interesting. I think that Overlord has the potential to become one of the best fantasy LN's out there. Hopefully more will be translated.

Saying that the first chapter "skipped a ton of shit" really just means the LN's writing is shit. Chapter 1 is 50+ pages long and they still have to skip stuff? Wtf?

The fact that we're introduced to so many characters from the very beginning isn't even funny. Don't front load a cast so goddamn big you're introducing 3 characters on a single page, multiple times.

This first chapter skipped a ton of shit just so it can end with the famous meeting/gathering image.

depend on if the R18 law made NPC and characters be anatomically incomplete and/or it change the moment the timer reach zero.

"this amazing degree of customizability"  if he had or not was up to him however (most poeple would like to have) the whole R18 law thing deppends on what you do with something (the touchs boob not allowed under R18 )  this is unimportant becouse I have not seen his feet or for that matter anything uder his ribcage there might not be anything there

So this overlord is a skeleton named after a type of flying squirrel? LOL.

Good.

Yet the real question is:

Spoiler

No, a skeleton has a bone

Spoiler

Good.
Yet the real question is:

Spoiler

depend on if the R18 law made NPC and characters be anatomically incomplete and/or it change the moment the timer reach zero.

I don't know much about this story or it's LN but /ak/ scanlations - INSTANT FOLLOW!   

haha same for me!

one thing that gets me is that the MC chose the path. he looked at his old life and said "hell no to that, this is better" you don't see that they often with yes do see them in strange sences but most think "oh no what I'm I to do what I'm to do". overlord has not pancied at all just got on with it. it's nice 
and just for the sake of it. a lich is not all bones some have mumifined skin magical bits addied rubes instend of eyes (that suck enegy out of its victim)and sofore

From what's translated of either the LN or WN, I don't think he's had even one thought about his old life. There hasn't been any mention or side story about it at all. The most we've seen is "I wonder if any other players are still around".

I don't know much about this story or it's LN but /ak/ scanlations - INSTANT FOLLOW!   

one thing that gets me is that the MC chose the path. he looked at his old life and said "hell no to that, this is better" you don't see that they often with yes do see them in strange sences but most think "oh no what I'm I to do what I'm to do". overlord has not pancied at all just got on with it. it's nice 

and just for the sake of it. a lich is not all bones some have mumifined skin magical bits addied rubes instend of eyes (that suck enegy out of its victim)and sofore

Crappy writing aside, the art seems rushed. I guess the artist threw quality out the window to draw the huge number of characters.

P.S. Overlord isn't evil at all.

Search Comics

Highest Rated Series

Recently Added Comics