Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
* * * * - (3.88 - 25votes)

Virgin Ripper

Alt Names: alt ヴァージンリッパー
Author: Fujita Maguro
Artist: Fujita Maguro
Genres: Drama DramaFantasy FantasyRomance RomanceSci-fi Sci-fiShoujo ShoujoSupernatural SupernaturalTragedy Tragedy
Type: Manga (Japanese)
Description: Hikari is a new shinigami (god of death) at Yomi Castle and is doing her best every day to get used to her onerous duties. Her duties are to manage and fulfill the destinies of humans. The only thing that keeps her going is the kindness of her superior, Commander Ryouma. The akashic records that list human destinies are stored under tight security in the castle. But, when a disastrous event happens among the shinigami, everything changes...
Go to Virgin Ripper Forums! | Scroll Down to Comments

Latest Forum Posts

Topic Started By Stats Last Post Info
No topics has been found for this comic.

41 Comments

Virgin Ripper just sounds like an amazing title... Especially when it involves scythes.

True enemy revealed. Awesome.

So 3 things that got me wound up

1. Ryouma's reactions

2. Nagi's "death"

3. King Yama's face

Well this was a successful chapter. Thanks for the scans!

Would the emotional abuse and mind rape of a naive girl count as 'virgin ripping'?

It's actually Virgin Rapper.

Well, I'm not thinking of reading but ... so the name should actually be Virgin Reaper? I only clicked the link cuz I wondered just what was going on with the ripping in this manga. I imagined a psycho going around ripping apart virgin girls.

Can't say I was expecting that...very "House of the scorpion"

Looking forward to more.
Surprisingly dark for this genre.
They are completely different in English, but Japanese does not have a short 'i' sound at all. In order to differentiate between the English long 'e' and short 'i' they add an extra い sound to words that are intended to be pronounced with a long 'e'. For another example, heat, hit, and hito(Japanese for 1) would be pronounced ヒート(hiito), ヒット(hitto), and ヒト(hito) respectively, with the 'o' in 'to' almost silent. It's not an exact match in terms of sound to how native English speakers would pronounce heat/hit but it's the best they can approximate given the way their language works.
Sorry, I had to click on this manga because of the name. Got a good laugh out of it. XD
I guess I'm still a bit confused because the English words "reaper" and "ripper" sound totally different. the "ea" in reaper has a long "e" sound while the "i" in ripper has a short "i" sound like in the word "if". And in both "ripaa" and "riippaa", the "i" vowels would both have the English long "e" sound. Although, I'm going by American English pronunciation. British might be a bit different.
It is, but the emphasis is on the double p rather than the i. As an example in English, the i in rippaa would be pronounced like the second syllable in conceit, while the ii in riipaa would be pronounced like the second syllable in concede. It's shorter by just enough that you would differentiate the words as reaper and ripper.
Hmm... I thought that the vowel "i" in Japanese was pronounced the same as a long "e" in English whether it was "i" OR "ii" in Japanese. And that "ii" was merely held a fraction of a second longer in spoken language. At least, that's what my leather bound Japanese-English dictionary published by Random House in 1995 says. Although it also says that an "i" or a "u" at the end of a word in Japanese is often either softly whispered or entirely silent in spoken Japanese. It further says that the "i" in certain phonetic symbols is softly whispered under certain conditions in the middle of a word, but the symbol "リ" is NOT one of those symbols listed.

Of course, I don't actually speak Japanese yet, so don't count me as an authority. I am merely going by what I have read and it is possible that the forces of globalization have caused the Japanese language to evolve a bit since 1995, even though their culture appears to be highly resistant and slow to embrace changes from what I have seen.
It wouldn't be pronounced reaper.. リッパー is pronounced rippaa not riipaa, which would be パー. The mangaka just made a mistake when choosing the English word for her title.
Since this is tagged as a drama and a tragedy and is about a shinigami, I wonder if the English title should have been Virgin Reaper. Even though it is translated as ripper here:
http://jisho.org/words?jap=rippa&eng=&dict=edict

Especially since the Katakana symbols,
リッパー, in the title would be pronounced the same as reaper and not ripper.
Dat name.

Search Comics

Highest Rated Series

Recently Added Comics