Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
* * * * * (4.58 - 52votes)

Kaiouki

Alt Names: alt คัยโอขิ พลิกตำนานจ้าวสมุทรalt Kaikoukialt Kaiokialt Tale of the Sea Kingalt 海皇紀
Author: Kawahara Masatoshi
Artist: Kawahara Masatoshi
Genres: Action ActionAdventure AdventureComedy ComedyFantasy FantasyHistorical HistoricalMartial Arts Martial ArtsMystery MysteryRomance RomanceSci-fi Sci-fiShounen Shounen
Type: Manga (Japanese)
Description: In a world lost within the mists of time, the People of the Sea rule the oceans uncontested by any, owing to their ever-vigilant guardians, the legendary Shadow Ships.

Enter Pan Gamma Vizen, the unlikely captain of one of these mysterious vessels and its motley crew. They drink constantly, they gamble shamelessly, and would rather take a nap under the midday sun than toil after glory or riches. The very picture of a lazy, happy-go-lucky ragtag team of sailors.. or are they?

In their journeys, they will encouter the last surviving princess from a fallen dynasty, the warrior rummored to be the deadliest swordsman in the world, a fledgeling emperor zealously dedicated to the fulfillment of his divine destiny, and more.. but none more mysterious or enthralling than Pan Gamma Vizen himself and his ever-present, enigmatic smirk.

As a potent, ancient magic known as "science" enters the world stage, events quickly spiral into a dark conspiracy that threatens to swallow the entire world in the flames of war.

The only man who can hope to make his stand before this storm of storms is the carefree, careless captain of a single black ship.

This is the tale of the Sea King.
Go to Kaiouki Forums! | Scroll Down to Comments

Latest Forum Posts

Topic Started By Stats Last Post Info
Topic Kaiouki fans, when and how did you first find it? New Window FenrysWolf
  • 4 Replies
Topic Kaiouki - Tale of the Sea King: Seeking helpers / wish to join group interested in picking up this project New Window GreyWolf
  • 12 Replies
Topic Kaiouki - Nautical terminology New Window FenrysWolf
  • 4 Replies
Topic Latest chapter discussion [spoilers] New Window FenrysWolf
  • 0 Replies

87 Comments

This is very good! I'm tempted to buy the manga but i can't find any in my country :l
Nfsu221

This is actually true. It was proven on mythbusters but by keeping one eye closed or covered the pirate could switch between night vision and day vision at all times allowing him to enter and exit the bowels of a ship where often there were no lights. (Candles and lanterns use resources to use thus they were used sparingly. As well as powder rooms can explode thus candles and lanterns were often not found in there.)

Also liking the girl character, amazingly strong in spirit and will power. Wakes up naked surrounded by men and brushes off the fact that she could have already been raped and begins interrogating one of the men present. Now thats balls of steel.
Yeah, I did kinda plagiarize Invinctus' line for Pan's inspirational speech. It is an accurate translation, and it properly conveys both the meaning and intent of the speaker.

Glad you're enjoying it. I have a couple great people helping me now, so I can't take all the credit. There is, however, a slight delay in the next few chapters which is solely my own fault. Ch14 only needs a last proof-read and I'll be posting it in the next couple days. The holidays have thrown a lot of things haywire for me, so don't expect a lot of activity before the beginning of next year.

Hope you all enjoy what's left if this year in the company of loved ones, with warmth and good cheer!
Also, consider this a "random line of appreciation" for you, FenrysWolf.
I started reading because I noticed the name coming up over and again, and that the scanslator was active here in the comment section. I did not regret it, and will be following from now on, but in case I forget, I wanted to say thanks now.
Anybody ever hear the story of why pirates wore eye patches? Of course this could be some kind of bullshit, but The reason I heard a long time ago was it was so that they couldquickly switch between night-vision (for in the depths of their ship) and regular vision. The eye behind the patch has been kept in dark so it is already adjusted to dark places so it is a simple task to uncover it and see in the dark. The same goes for Pan. He has had one of his eyes closed this entire series, and now he has opened it. Its likely he was keeping it closed for just a situation.
Nah its a future tech story ie the world ended and reset it self so he probably has some future tech of his own to even the odds.
I don't think he's bluffing. It seems to hint that he has some sort of hawk eyes.
Awesome chapter!!Thanks a lot Fenryswolf \m/!!
My pleasure, please enjoy.

I really enjoyed the epic storm-riding bit as well.
Thanks for the new ch FenrysWolf
Lovely chapter FenrysWolf. Love that sea action.
Thanks SoundSpark for your previous work and thank you FenrysWolf for your recent work. It's a very enjoyable series to read. Love the characters, -> conquer the world, -> whimical.
Thanks a lot for the translations, FenrysWolf. I just got myself a new series to follow.

I have to say that Kaiouki is a great manga. The drawings are somewhat minimalist but they just seem to fit the storytelling to perfection. The pace is slow, but just right.

I guess the only drawback is that there are 45 volumes.. So it will be a long ride. Not that I mind. :P
I think you're spot on! Just too kind for his own good..
I agree Pan is flawed due to his soft side. There are unexpected developments but Pan knows quite well that his opponent will come up with sth - few can do so ^_^. But i think as a slacker, he always solves the original problem and ultimately avoids more work that he doesn't like.
It may be disappointing to his friends and the readers as they expect more.
BTW, i am a big fan of Adachi too. Touch is one of my first ^_^
I think it's great that Kaiouki is finding so many new fans out there. As for Pan's schemes always working out in the end, however, I have to disagree. It's true that they almost always do, but at times they show his more vulnerable and inherently flawed human side, and there are unexpected developments.

I think that is definitely for the better though. For instance, it produces one of the most touching scenes in the whole series for me, way down the line. Not going to spoil it, but it's kind of a tear-jerker, in that uncomplicated, deceptively simple yet devastatingly touching style that marks true masters of storytelling, like Mitsuru Adachi's works (I'm a huge Adachi fan as well).

I can hardly wait to share it with everyone! ^^
This is classic. Thank you very much.
I really like Masatoshi's manga. Finish Shura no Mon, Shura no Toki and read Kaikouki (to the part where Kazaru meets Leonis) in VNese. The art is good. Most characters are smart. No flashiness. No fan service. No stupid conversation.
Pan's scheme never goes wrong, even in the Sea Tribe's King arc. He is very like Akabara in Record of Fallen Vampire.
So good so far, but i have this thing with characters that have there eyes closed like the MC has, i hate them lol its just characters like that are usually the manipulative ones and i hate that... anyways this is a good one thanks FenrysWolf!
Must say that I'm loving the flow of this manga at the moment. Definitely a tea of choice!
Thank you Kai, please enjoy!

@Lowlightt, thanks for the heads up. I actually had to spend quite a bit of time looking up nautical terms, and I still don't think I've got many of them right. I did have a question about.. err.. I don't want to spam the frontpage, so I'll just make a forum post. I hope you'll share your insight there as well.
Wolf the black ship is a sloop. As you seemed to be having a hard time coming up with a name for it.
Thanks FenrysWolf
Really appreciate your efforts its a great series
Thank you, that warms my heart ^^ I shall continue to do my best!

And of course, I definitely agree, Kaiouki is great!
Thank you very much FenrysWolf!! Kaiouki is a pretty good manga!

Search Comics

Highest Rated Series

Recently Added Comics