Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
* * * * * (4.62 - 78votes)

Inherit the Stars

Alt Names: alt Hoshi o Tsugu Monoalt Hoshi o Tsugumomoalt Hoshi wo Tsugu Monoalt Hoshi wo Tsugumonoalt Lo scheletro impossibilealt 星を継ぐもの
Author: James P. Hogan
Artist: Hoshino Yukinobu
Genres: Fantasy FantasyMystery MysterySci-fi Sci-fiSeinen Seinen
Type: Manga (Japanese)
Description: In 205X, armed forces and conflicts are a thing of the past and people live safe, peaceful lives, all thanks to a cheap, inexhaustible source of energy. One day, something strange is discovered on the moon: an ancient corpse in a spacesuit. The corpse is undeniably human, but it appears to be about 50,000 years old! What does this mean about the history of our species and what effect will this discovery have on current human society?
Go to Inherit the Stars Forums! | Scroll Down to Comments

Latest Forum Posts

Topic Started By Stats Last Post Info
Topic Batoto end. New Window AkameSaotome
  • 4 Replies
Topic "Terms" of the manga. New Window AkameSaotome
  • 1 Replies
Topic This series is so good.. New Window I_enjoy_reading
  • 1 Replies

109 Comments

that analysis so troll. i like how he points at himself

http://vatoto.com/read/_/111945/inherit-the-stars_v1_ch4_by_illuminati-manga/16

Really good art and story, interesting dialogues and believable character development. It's just great.

This manga is too epic to make any sense.

Aw man, nothing past ch 6?

This is GOOD.

@ Comadrin

It's nice to see someone else who enjoys Heinlein.  He is another author whose entire body of work is in my library.

I've read the books (except the last one), and they are VERY solid. With the exception of confirmed "teleportation really annihilates your body and you are cloned every time", hate that stuff. And the characters are so nonchalant about it, too !!!

i want more :)
Woah, departing ahead of schedual?

No space mission departs ahead of schedual.

Well, I guess if you have fusion engine the whole needs gravity assits problem goes away but still...
Now this is what I call substance...

...not the hundreds of Moe Cucky Star, Meloncrap SuckSuckMeYea Haruhi, nor Naruto Shepoopdem crap.
I just got onto this manga, and I'm enjoying it so far. It reminded me of a Heinlein book, I think called "Space Cadet," which also hypothesized the asteroid belt being a planet. Although a great deal of the "advanced science" has become obsolete since then, the SF of the 1950's was really well written, and had a lot of good stories. I'm looking forward to more of this manga.
I'm finding the art kind of interesting. It's definitely going for a "western hard SF", almost "2001: A Space Odyssey" kind of feel; lots of space shots, fairly "realistic" look to the people, with no big eyes or typical manga-style visual shorthands (for example, everyone has actual noses). A manga artist wouldn't do that stuff by accident, it's clearly a deliberate choice. Whether you like it or not is another question.
MalikDrako: I'd forgotten about the additional two books. I've actually read "Entoverse" but it doesn't really read like part of the "series", more like a basically separate book set in the same universe. And I don't really know anything about the fifth.
But I do remember when the books were initially coming out. It was seen/published as a trilogy at the time, and the three books have fairly tightly connected plot. The others were written much later.
Good to see its still being worked on.
I like the plot but the art could need some work.
This is awesome. :D
I almost forgot that this manga exists... Thanks alot !
And when i think an update is just a science fiction...

A wild updates appear!
from what I can tell, the giants series actually has 5 books:
Inherit the Stars and The Gentle Giants of Ganymede (collected into The Two Moons), Giants' Star and Entoverse (collected into The Two Worlds), and Mission to Minerva

Baen Ebooks has Inherit the Stars for free, and The Two Moons, The Two Worlds, and Mission to Minerva available to buy
Well, it was postulated as a fairly sizable planet with a quite effective greenhouse effect. And
Spoiler

The real problem is subtler: It seems increasingly clear that the asteroid belt is there because no planet could form there, because gravitational effects from Jupiter literally tore apart any large accretions of matter in that orbit. But that was less established when the book was written, and it is a pretty subtle problem.
The asteroid belt is outside of the habitable zone... But oh well, this manga is really interesting
I like the whole idea. I think that's something American comics and Manga really need to tap into. So many Sci Fi stories out there that could be brought to life with good art direction. If only Japan could get away from Cute Girls Doing Cute Things and American comics getting away from the Capes a bit more.
Hmmm . . . reading up to ch 4, it looks like a pretty good rendition. I get the feeling they're intending to do the whole trilogy, because one or two scenes foreshadow stuff that didn't get going until the later books.
It feels really weird reading a manga and having it be actual science fiction, as opposed to what manga and anime typically call science fiction.
thank you for translating this, a good manga, i hope it countinued being translated

-leechers
Well, if PLG recommends it, I think I'm gonna have to check those books out for myself they sounds pretty good.
Uh, Xziled is mistaken. I have all three books of that trilogy on my bookshelf, and James P. Hogan wrote many other books after.
The trilogy is made up of the books:
Inherit the Stars
The Gentle Giants of Ganymede
Giants' Star
It's a very good trilogy, and the puzzle making up "Inherit the Stars" is perhaps the most interesting and elaborate scientific puzzle in all SF. They are IMO among his best books, along with "Voyage from Yesteryear", "The Two Faces of Tomorrow" and "Code of the Lifemaker". Later in his career IMO he kind of ran out of steam.

Search Comics

Highest Rated Series

Recently Added Comics