Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
* * * * * (4.56 - 93votes)

Attaque

Alt Names: alt 아따끄
Author: Lee Sae-Hyung
Artist: Lee Sae-Hyung
Genres: Action ActionPsychological PsychologicalSchool Life School LifeShounen ShounenSports SportsWebtoon Webtoon
Type: Manhwa (Korean)
Description: From Easy Going Scans:

Leesu came from a poor family but he didn't mind at all not having any money or status. Being the school's strongest fighter made him feel as if he was on top of the world in his eyes. But alas, a car accident made him lose what was most precious to him; His ability to fight! Craving for his past glory days he turns to fencing with the hope to regain what he once had?

Original webcomic: http://cartoon.media.daum.net/webtoon/view/attaque

Note: The author has explicitly split the storyline into multiple parts. These parts are represented by the Vol.#.
Go to Attaque Forums! | Scroll Down to Comments

Latest Forum Posts

Topic Started By Stats Last Post Info
No topics has been found for this comic.

98 Comments

Yes, Khern, you are completely right, both of his hands are heavily damaged. Luckily, his right wrist looks OK, or he will not be able to do any fencing too.

Looking at the MCs character, i doubt he would avoid any fights if at least one of his hands is OK - lion with half of his tooths can still be pretty dangerous...

Well, it seems like you forgot about that part :

Spoiler

To have his whole body becoming weaker made him lost his arrogance, and I believe he was mainly strong because of his beast like aggressivity

Tie your hand behind your back and go pick a fight. You wouldn't think it would be a huge deal, but it changes the playing field. You use your arms for def/off, balance, and leverage when grappling. It isn't something you couldn't overcome, but it would be a task.

Behind your back would be bad.  It'd throw you off balance seriously, making kicks a pain at least until you adapted, and completely eliminate the use of the whole arm, most crucially for defence; punch and you're wide open. 

But say you bent your arm double and tied the wrist to the shoulder.  You'd still have the balance and a little blocking.  That'd still be hard, but not as bad.  But he isn't even that bad off--he's got the balance, all the blocking, and some offence still--enough offence to force someone to block him anyhow.  He's not missing an arm, he's missing a hand and maybe part of the forearm and has a prosthetic replacement which can't do manipulation but also doesn't feel pain.  And it's his off hand at that.

Basically, it seems like a psychological block as much as a physical problem.  He's got an all or nothing mentality, almost obsessed with it.  He was used to effortlessly being the alpha, and liked the idea that anyone who wasn't the effortless alpha like him was a zero, and there was nothing in between.  So when he lost that effortless superiority, the only other place he knew of was zero.  Up until now it seems like the idea of trying hard never occurred to him.

i've been reading manga and such with a girl, and good lord how i regret that, because of her  i can see a yaoi development in anything, ANYTHING even if it's a guy and girl situation. 

Say, has anyone else wondered why losing a hand and having an artificial one instead would make it impossible to fight effectively?  You can still block with that arm, you still have a hand, two feet, two elbows and two knees.  And if you are as dedicated to being a badass as he seems to have been, you could put nasty metal bits on your prosthetic hand, or add a bit of weight or something.  Sure, the way it attaches to your arm probably isn't designed to stand up to punching people, but it isn't useless.

I've never quite understood why that was enough to shift him from top bully to zero.  Why it meant he's been knuckling under ever since.  Especially what with all those masses of "pride" people have been talking about.

Fakehero, incidentally, I was indeed bullied when I was a kid.  But I never knuckled under.  I was small and I couldn't fight well, but if I never stopped talking back; if someone beat me up I'd be telling him what a worthless moron he was before, during, and next time he started getting on my case.  Don't talk to me about the "pride" of someone who had guts for just as long as his natural athletic gifts made him the toughest and not a moment longer.

Tie your hand behind your back and go pick a fight. You wouldn't think it would be a huge deal, but it changes the playing field. You use your arms for def/off, balance, and leverage when grappling. It isn't something you couldn't overcome, but it would be a task.

Say, has anyone else wondered why losing a hand and having an artificial one instead would make it impossible to fight effectively?  You can still block with that arm, you still have a hand, two feet, two elbows and two knees.  And if you are as dedicated to being a badass as he seems to have been, you could put nasty metal bits on your prosthetic hand, or add a bit of weight or something.  Sure, the way it attaches to your arm probably isn't designed to stand up to punching people, but it isn't useless.

I've never quite understood why that was enough to shift him from top bully to zero.  Why it meant he's been knuckling under ever since.  Especially what with all those masses of "pride" people have been talking about.

Fakehero, incidentally, I was indeed bullied when I was a kid.  But I never knuckled under.  I was small and I couldn't fight well, but I never stopped talking back; if someone beat me up I'd be telling him what a worthless moron he was before, during, and next time he started getting on my case.  Don't talk to me about the "pride" of someone who had guts for just as long as his natural athletic gifts made him the toughest and not a moment longer.

I guess seeing beta MCs flooding manga nowadays I´m just happy seeing an alpha one, or to be more correct, someone with male pride. And those hating the MC, I guess you´ve been bullied before or been the nice guy (trying to get along with everyone). I´ve been on both sides, bullying bullies are fun yet I still root for the MC.

Uh-oh. I did not get impresion that MC was proud because of bulying. Its a high school kid, in the middle of puberty, from poor family, not interested in studying, and found chance to distinguish himself of others by violence. Wrong made choice, but not rare case, especially in manga.

So, most of his pride come from the fact that he got some kind of top position by himself - if i remember correctly, he was not linching others with mob, but only by himself. His sense of pride, whatever we think about it, can be visible by his accepting to duel with "pretty boy" under to him unknown rules, even incapacitated for any kind of fight.

I accept that "pretty boy" does not know facts about MC's hands, but anyway, he know that something is wrong with MC, because he is not behave as before. That keeps me a little respect towards "pretty boy" and his revenge, because if he know that he fought with cripple in fight from start in his favor, won that fight and gloated over MC, i would think that he is most despicable person in toons ever.

Actually I still would like the MC if he was the antagonist, though the structure of the story would be completely different... He has this amazing amount of pride, that I respect, regardless of his assholish nature.

Well... There's a fine line between arrogance and pride. The MC has no reason to be proud, though I do think it's much better than being a pathetic MC who won't stand up for himself.

Once he starts real training, I think my distate for him (being proud of being a bully) will turn into grudging respect and then perhaps actually liking him - if he stops being an arrogant prick; I'm sure that being beaten by a girl should motivate him.

Oh, give me a break.  He used one arm himself, and he doesn't appear to know about the hand thing anyway.  And at that he's treated the MC with more fairness than the MC ever treated him. 

And there is a distinction between revenge and random bullying.  I have no real problem with revenge as a motivation; giving someone their comeuppance for messing you over is not saintly, but it doesn't make you a douche.

But even if he was just harassing the MC for no reason at all, the MC would have no complaint coming because that's exactly what he would be doing to someone like himself if he was strong again.  He hasn't even had any realizations now that he's weak--he resents what people are doing to him even though he plans to start doing exactly the same the moment he can.  No, sorry, someone who selectively gives a hard time to someone who bullied him for no reason in the past is not anywhere near as low as that.  The only reason we don't absolutely despise the MC is that we're seeing the story from his viewpoint.

Actually I still would like the MC if he was the antagonist, though the structure of the story would be completely different... He has this amazing amount of pride, that I respect, regardless of his assholish nature.

Yup, thanks much!

And hey, looks like we might see some actual fencing happening!

Thanks for the recent burst of chapters, EGS!

It's much appreciated.

:)

Well, shucks.

I'm assuming that he's going to transform in some way.  We just maybe saw the first inkling this chapter, where he actually helps the overweight guy a little and wonders why.

Well said Purple Library Guy, well said.

Actually, he´s on the same level or lower as the MC, the pretty boy felt amazing beating the sh!t outta an one-armed man. Why not be the bigger man? If I have to choose, I root for the MC.

Oh, give me a break.  He used one arm himself, and he doesn't appear to know about the hand thing anyway.  And at that he's treated the MC with more fairness than the MC ever treated him. 

And there is a distinction between revenge and random bullying.  I have no real problem with revenge as a motivation; giving someone their comeuppance for messing you over is not saintly, but it doesn't make you a douche.

But even if he was just harassing the MC for no reason at all, the MC would have no complaint coming because that's exactly what he would be doing to someone like himself if he was strong again.  He hasn't even had any realizations now that he's weak--he resents what people are doing to him even though he plans to start doing exactly the same the moment he can.  No, sorry, someone who selectively gives a hard time to someone who bullied him for no reason in the past is not anywhere near as low as that.  The only reason we don't absolutely despise the MC is that we're seeing the story from his viewpoint.

Actually, he´s on the same level or lower as the MC, the pretty boy felt amazing beating the sh!t outta an one-armed man. Why not be the bigger man? If I have to choose, I root for the MC.

The 'pretty boy' felt amazing for beating the sh!t out of someone who decided to bully him and make his life hell. He had it coming.

MC is still a dick, so not much has changed except now he can't beat anyone.

He ain't done nothing to the MC that the MC didn't deserve.

Prediction: MC will win. Then ask to be his friend.

Why do I feel that he is going to lose again D:

He ain't done nothing to the MC that the MC didn't deserve.

can't wait till that pretty boy gets the shit kicked out of him..

Seems like is the translator(s), since there´s 49 chapter of it in Daum.

But I rather have slow releases than none. I´m very glad and grateful for the english translation.

Thanks EGS!
How come the chapters come out monthly? Is it the artist or the translators?
This is so good, the downfall coming so fast. I can feel his pain.

@Frost The lion is like this part of him, the part that used to rule the school, the part which was the king of the jungle. That lion is now weak, his roars don´t make anyone tremble anymore. And so he´s afraid that the once strong fearful lion, that part of him is leaving.

That´s how I interpreted it.
Lol... iunno why but it kind of bothers me how the shadowing on the MC's face makes it look like he is constantly wearing a pair of sunglasses. xD

Search Comics

Highest Rated Series

Recently Added Comics