Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
* * * * * (4.65 - 158votes)

Mayonaka no X Giten

Alt Names: alt 半夜的X仪式alt 真夜中のX儀典alt Mayonaka no Cross Methodalt Midnight Cross Method
Author: Yamaguchi Mikoto
Artist: Bareisho
Genres: Drama DramaEcchi EcchiGender Bender Gender BenderMystery MysteryPsychological PsychologicalRomance RomanceSeinen SeinenSupernatural SupernaturalTragedy Tragedy
Type: Manga (Japanese)
Description: Hiroki has a plump NEET Shut-in for an older sister, which leads him to always think "It's better to be a girl!"

While taking care of his plump lazy self-centered sister Yui, he has finally had enough of her behaviour, and snaps at her. Griping about his plump sister, Hiroki mutters "I wish we weren't related", and accesses a mysterious website address.

The website claims to allow you to enter the body of another person, as long as you are willing to make your own body available as well. Skeptical, Hiroki tries the service and winds up in the body of popular idol Mikuriya Mikuni.

While spending time as Mikuni, Hiroki is involved in finding out a secret about her he'd rather not. At the same time, when seeking to go back to his own body, the person occupying it tells him something outrageous has just happened!

What happened to Hiroki's body during the incident? And what is the idol Mikuni's big secret? Be witness to the suspense as these mysteries pile up!
Go to Mayonaka no X Giten Forums! | Scroll Down to Comments
The following content is intended for mature audiences and may contain sexual themes, gore, violence and/or strong language. Discretion is advised.

Latest Forum Posts

Topic Started By Stats Last Post Info
Topic Cleans for chapter 3 New Window Agnir
  • 0 Replies
Topic Cleans For Chapter 1 New Window Agnir
  • 0 Replies

378 Comments

Bit of a discussion question for everyone: What do people prefer, swap bodies/switch bodies/other? The Japanese tend to use about 3-4 different terms for "body swap" that are all mostly interchangeable.

literally: "body exchange", "body and mind substitution", "body and mind exchange", etc.

I've been mostly using swap bodies, but in certain cases switch bodies, since it sounds slightly more formal IMHO as the situation demands.

Ah, I see what you mean now. I skimmed the page too quickly before. I was thinking it was

Spoiler

@Arceus (chapter 4 spoilers)

Spoiler

(Ch.4) Dowolf:

Spoiler

There are two plot holes that bother me so far (minor inferred spoilers from Ch4 included):

Spoiler

(semi-major ch4 spoilers)

Spoiler

There are two plot holes that bother me so far (minor inferred spoilers from Ch4 included):

Spoiler

*finds this manga through searching gender bender tag*

"ooo the art on the preview pic looks decent"

*opens manga expecting light atmosphere usually associated with that genre*

.....my heart.......my sis-con heart......

Well, you could always look at it like I do and just enjoy your siscon complex combined with your necrophilia fetish for an even more enhanced experience!

Remember what the wise man said:  "Do everything to excess!  Moderation is for monks!"

I'm completely attached to Mikuni and Hiroki now with Chapter 3 being released. I can't believe I'm correct with my deductions. Although, I also can't believe that there's more to the "switching bodies" ritual. Characters can definitely exploit it in the future.

*finds this manga through searching gender bender tag*

"ooo the art on the preview pic looks decent"

*opens manga expecting light atmosphere usually associated with that genre*

.....my heart.......my sis-con heart......

Spoiler

Hmm...

I can see an argument that maybe I went a little too far there, but let's look at the word there in the original: やばいこと (which is in quotes, marking it as emphasized--it does not carry the same meaning as "air quotes" in English!). While this can mean "trouble," it's not as clean a word as you make it out to be. The best example of this is that, if the word is used as an interjection--「やばい!」--the natural translation is simply "Shit!" in all situations save for if you're translating a work where nudity, violence, and profanity must be avoided at all costs. This is clearly not that work >_>

When translating this line, I looked at two things: the context, and the art. The context is that she's still reeling a little bit from learning about what happened to Kamiya's sister, and wants to regain control of the situation. The art is that she has a slightly uncomfortable, yet sadistic grin on her face--a grin that says, "I need to regain control of this situation." Those two things caused me to go with the more profane translations.

And she's not dropping f-bombs left and right. Outside of this situation, and when she's interacting with/talking about the stalker, she's not swearing. That contrast adds something.

Again, I agree that maybe I went a little bit too overboard--that maybe, say, "given me a lot of crap to deal with" would've been better than the f-bomb there--but making that statement as clinical as you've rendered it strikes me as equally mistaken.

(I also disagree with the precise wording you used--"I'm in a lot of trouble right now" implies to me that, say, her manager knows about this and is upset because of it--but I digress.)

Well yes, she uses those sometimes, but that was when she was incredibly angry and chasing him around with a knife ;) IMHO it is correct to make a distinction that her idol persona is very different from her real one -- she's straightforward and somewhat blunt, assertive, can be rude, etc. But gangster-like and dropping f-bombs left and right doesn't fit her character.

But like on pg5 of Ch3, she says:

Because you used my body, I'm in a lot of trouble right now!

If you take care of that "trouble" for me,

I'll tell you who the culprit is.

@Aereus:

Mikuni frequently speaks in a rude, gangster-like tone of voice (enough so that it's commented on by another character); does use クソ, 野郎, てめぇ, etc; "go to hell" is 100% literal (or rather, "Fall to Hell" is 100% literal, but you get the point)...

You can say that there's no one word that in the original that maps to "fucking" in the script; but the fact of the matter is, there's no real word in Japanese that is used like "fucking" is in English. "Fucking" is just a really cool, weird word (it's even evolved to function as in infix, something that I've always found mind-boggling since "proper" English doesn't even have any infixes, but I digress) that can be used for emphasis when being rude.

At the end of the day, the most important thing in a translation is to convey the mood, the feel of the characters properly. And I would argue that the "fucks" and "shits" do that.

Spoiler

Inb4 people die when they're killed.

TheMC here is kinda naive eh...

This nigga better not write himself into a corner again.

I'm still fucking pissed about Shinigami ni Saigo

Btw what's up with Mikuni being so foul-mouthed in that script? I'm comparing the original Japanese in Chapter 3 to dowolf's TL and she doesn't say anything harsh enough to warrant using "shit" or "fuck".

I can see the erasures on the speech bubbles in chapter 3 :v
*kinda grayish white compared to the rest

Sweet cover is sweet though~

He wants to take his revenge on the person who killed his sister but he doesn't want to kill for revenge?! what the heck is wrong with him? did his weiner finally gave up on living after all these years of him whinning about how girls got it easy compare to guys? His sister ends up dead because of him with his whining blog but it seems like he's stupid enough to not realize that the murderer did it for his sake. Now he's seems to be whining for a whole new different reasons and it looks like he's prepared cry his way in front of many girls to find the culprit.

We clearly know who wears the pants in this relationship (Mikuni and Hiroki) lol...

Spoilers (ch.3)

Spoiler

Spoiler

I thought the same. The person changed places with his sister and her killed the person inside her body.

That first chapter gave me heart ache q.q

But its a good thing I stuck on.

Can anyone explain to my how she lost her virginity. I thought that the stalker swapped bodys with her and slept around and got evidence or something but im obviously wrong.

She thought the main guy slept with a dude while he was in her body. There were then fake photos of her looking like she was in the middle of sex, and she panicked.

WELL THERE GOES MY IDEA

The protagonist seems like a good dude, too, which should keep it from being full of edgemasters. Although right now the description seems to disagree with me!

Search Comics

Highest Rated Series

Recently Added Comics