Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
* * * * * (4.6 - 134votes)

Bungo Stray Dogs

Alt Names: alt Bungou Stray Dogsalt 문호 스트레이독스alt Literary Stray Dogsalt Stray Dogs of the Literary Mastersalt 文豪ストレイドッグスalt 文豪野犬
Author: Asagiri Kafka
Artist: Harukawa 35
Genres: Action ActionDrama DramaMystery MysterySeinen SeinenSupernatural Supernatural
Type: Manga (Japanese)
Description: Nakajima Atsushi was kicked out of his orphanage, and now he has no place to go and no food. While he is standing by a river, on the brink of starvation, he rescues a man whimsically attempting suicide. That man is Dazai Osamu, and he and his partner Kunikida are members of a very special detective agency. They have supernatural powers, and deal with cases that are too dangerous for the police or the military. They're tracking down a tiger that has appeared in the area recently, around the time Atsushi came to the area. The tiger seems to have a connection to Atsushi, and by the time the case is solved, it is clear that Atsushi's future will involve much more of Dazai and the rest of the detectives!
Go to Bungo Stray Dogs Forums! | Scroll Down to Comments
The following content is intended for mature audiences and may contain sexual themes, gore, violence and/or strong language. Discretion is advised.

Latest Forum Posts

Topic Started By Stats Last Post Info
Topic List of Abilities for each Character New Window geogio13
  • 2 Replies

197 Comments

lol the v2 still doesn't have the (first part) name even if it's put on the release. peace askani :)

I've got two scanned copies of the first volume and the physical magazine issue the chapter was in. The magazine and one of the volumes both have the title page first, so I'm guessing the other volume was just messed up during scanning. The magazine definitely says Tanizaki though.

There you go, it is Tanizaki.

and why the hell are you people not into joints for this?

heh, guess that's something wrong with my tank copy.

Kunikida's talking to the Tanizaki Junichiro character. The furigana on the volume raws (yes, this series has furigana), and the real life author is also Tanizaki. Since it has a chapter endnote at the last page, it seems that this was translated from magazine raws, so maybe it had that Tanizuka error, which was later corrected on the volume. Since I can't be bothered typing/copy-pasting the reference, check the translator's notes on Psylocke's release of the 2nd chapter.

I've got two scanned copies of the first volume and the physical magazine issue the chapter was in. The magazine and one of the volumes both have the title page first, so I'm guessing the other volume was just messed up during scanning. The magazine definitely says Tanizaki though.

Spoiler

Kunikida's talking to the Tanizaki Junichiro character. The furigana on the volume raws (yes, this series has furigana), and the real life author is also Tanizaki. Since it has a chapter endnote at the last page, it seems that this was translated from magazine raws, so maybe it had that Tanizuka error, which was later corrected on the volume. Since I can't be bothered typing/copy-pasting the reference, check the translator's notes on Psylocke's release of the 2nd chapter.

Well, that blows my hypothesis out of the water, doesn't it?

*Goes to my favorite corner to sulk and mutter vile imprecations about the unfairness of this cruel world.*

S2S is using the tanks, so the chapter title page is actually the first page - the previous page was the end of chapter 2.

Page 15 was left out of the release, which a new version has been uploaded, waiting approval.

Is there a reference some where to the Tanizaki/Tanizuka name?

I haven't seen any of the raws, but unless the raws use the furigana system where Kanji symbols have smaller Hiragana symbols next to them for pronunciation guides, character names will only be in Kanji, which can have several different pronunciations.

A series that Death Toll worked on at one time didn't use the furigana system and the translator gave us the most common pronunciation of the Kanji symbols for a character's name.  In a later chapter, the character's name was spoken three times in one bubble and for dramatic effect, the author used Kanji for the first time, Hiragana for the second time, and Katakana for the third time.  It was only at that chapter that we learned the true pronunciation of the character's name, which was a less common form of the original Kanji's pronunciation.

So I am guessing that this may also be the case for this series, especially since furigana is usually NOT used in seinen or josei oriented series but primarily used only in shounen and shoujo series.

I started to read this after I took over Kai's (the Bungo Stray Dogs translator for Psylocke that disappeared) project on MSD called Shionomiya Ayane wa Machigaenai, which was done by the same author/story writer. Unlike Ayane, whose story's about to pick up right after the first volume, this one picks up the pace fast.

If I were to compare translations (at least for the first chapter), PSY>EGS>Shoujo Sense.

S2S' Chapter 3 had errors too. Most notable is the Tanizaki name, which they put as Tanizuka. The first page should be the second page, and they missed a whole page after Dazai trying to seduce the client into committing lovers' suicide (he was dragged off by Kunikida then Tanizuka started to listen to the client's story).

S2S is using the tanks, so the chapter title page is actually the first page - the previous page was the end of chapter 2.

Page 15 was left out of the release, which a new version has been uploaded, waiting approval.

I started to read this after I took over Kai's (the Bungo Stray Dogs translator for Psylocke that disappeared) project on MSD called Shionomiya Ayane wa Machigaenai, which was done by the same author/story writer. Unlike Ayane, whose story's about to pick up right after the first volume, this one picks up the pace fast.

If I were to compare translations (at least for the first chapter), PSY>EGS>Shoujo Sense.

S2S' Chapter 3 had errors too. Most notable is the Tanizaki name, which they put as Tanizuka. The first page should be the second page, and they missed a whole page after Dazai trying to seduce the client into committing lovers' suicide (he was dragged off by Kunikida then Tanizuka started to listen to the client's story).

Also, wanna know what's Dazai's previous job? It'll be revealed in Chapter 4 anyway...

Spoiler

Can't wait till we get to around Volume 6!

Spoiler

Update?!!!! Yessssss! Thanks a ton!!!!!

uwwaahh...I was hoping this was an update. T_T

(art still as awesome as ever each time I come back to this.)

....updates coming soon....?.....*cries under blanket*

When in doubt, be a tiger.

So the translator I had for this series disappeared nearly a year ago, but I'd still very much like to work on the series and have been looking for a new translator since. If you think you can do better than this,

af351f558a.jpg

feel free to give me a shout. I've got raws for the first few volumes, and can get more whenever I'm able to start releasing again.

>Dazai Osamu

FOLLOWED.

This got picked up? Yay~ Thank you!

Way to get my hopes up :(

Would be nice if this got updates. @_@

hey this is amazing, one way and another. I wish to see more of the chapters in near future

This is nice and the art is not bad.

I don't get why this is so unpopular, this is great, and interesting. Not to mention in the words of Wacko Warner," Its Zani to the MAx!"

Really like the art this time :)

it sucks..

Love the choice of Dazai Osamu for the name. Same name as one of the most influential...and dark, at times...writers in Japanese history.

In fact, most of the names that we'll see in this are famed authors. Thus the name of the series.

i hope it'll be a good manga if update

Search Comics

Highest Rated Series

Recently Added Comics