Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
* * * * * (4.7 - 201votes)

Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou

Alt Names: alt ヨコハマ買い出し紀行alt YKKalt Yokohama Alışveriş Seyahatialt Yokohama Shopping Blogalt Yokohama Shopping Tripalt 横滨购物纪行
Author: Ashinano Hitoshi
Artist: Ashinano Hitoshi
Genres: Award Winning Award WinningComedy ComedyDrama DramaFantasy FantasySci-fi Sci-fiSeinen SeinenSlice of Life Slice of Life
Type: Manga (Japanese)
Description: This is the story of Hatsuseno Alpha, an Alpha 7 M2 series robot. Left by her owner, she appears and acts fully human while running a small coffee shop named Cafe Alpha. It is a light-hearted story about the people Alpha comes into contact with behind the backdrop of a futuristic country-side in Japan. As we meet Alpha, she makes a shopping trip to Yokohama.

The prologue chapter of Yokohama Kaidashi Kikō won Afternoon magazine's Four Seasons Award for debut works, and series won the 2007 Seiun Award for Best Manga.
Go to Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou Forums! | Scroll Down to Comments

Latest Forum Posts

Topic Started By Stats Last Post Info
Topic Thus, I reviewed Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou New Window Swifft
  • 0 Replies
Topic 11 minute version of Helter Skelter New Window Stargoat
  • 5 Replies
Topic International Release...Where are you! New Window CruxPhantasmal
  • 1 Replies

52 Comments

it is a pity that this manga does not have many follows, and a piece of manure like High School DxD has a lot of follows much more than this piece of art.

Hey, isn't it possible to follow both? I like a bit of oppai (ok, maybe a lot) once in a while and I like something truly unique like this manga as well. 

it is a pity that this manga does not have many follows, and a piece of manure like High School DxD has a lot of follows much more than this piece of art.

That's one of the enduring mysteries of the human condition.  Advertisement plays a role in it (think of super popular toys of years past; Cabbage Patch Kids or Tickle Me Elmo, where TV commercials created such a huge hype that parents were fist fighting in stores to get them for their kids).  Another facet is the art of "tittilation:"  using images or situations that push buttons on people.  The images/situations can be sexy, cute, badass, or whatever and are designed to appeal to a large portion of a particular demographic.  From panty flashes to My Little Pony, it's all a formula for business success and requires little imagination or talent on the part of the creator.  It's designed to sell magazines  or toys or whatever.

Where does this leave the works of Ashinano Hitoshi or something like Kodama Yuki's masterpiece Sakamichi no Apollon?  We just have to hope that there are enough readers and scanlators out there who appreciate such gems and bring them to those of us who don't live in Japan and don't read the language.  I just know that I was hooked after the first couple of pages of YKK, and the name Ashinano Hitoshi (and a select few others) for authorship pushes MY button instantly as a "must read."

Another work that will always have a special place in my heart.

Anyone know if the OVA is any good?

The OVAs (there are two of them, Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou and Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou: Quiet Country Cafe) cover some of the early parts of the manga and skip quite a few chapters. Although I watched it a couple of times, I really feel that it exists to hook people into the manga, instead of catering to those who've already read it.

the movie "Her" reminded me of this . i've read it 5 years ago, still one of the best mangas i've seen.

Really good. A very subtle undertone of sadness to it all, as time moves on and there is nothing that can, or should, be done about it. As time changes, so do the people. It is the natural order of things and yet it makes you long for times past... in a manga about a place that does not even exist.

To invoke such feelings is an achievement.

This is the only manga to get perfect scores from me, such a masterpiece :')

There is another translation for those chapters, but it's only available via The Wayback Machine. Head there and search for ykk.misago.org if you are interested. The .zip files are not available, but if you are patient (pages load very slowly) you can read it page by page. 

You can also find a torrent file on nyaa. The quality of the images isn't as good as Mangaproject's though.

Thanks to Yu Han Sung, for bringing YKK to Batoto. It's one of the greatest manga ever made, and it really needs to be here for the community to read.  

Looking around on the web, I've read comments saying that the Manga Project translation (the first 100 chapters) is not very good. I'm not in a position to confirm that, but I'm interested in reading the best translations. There is another translation for those chapters, but it's only available via The Wayback Machine. Head there and search for ykk.misago.org if you are interested. The .zip files are not available, but if you are patient (pages load very slowly) you can read it page by page. 

just read the whole thing in one sitting

such a great experience

By the way, thank you Yu Han Sung, for all your work bringing this to batoto.  It is definitely a "come back and read again" work.  

Hmm, with all the nice reviews I guess I'll add this to my (read eventually) list.
it's beautiful.....
it makes you think that the effect of global warming might not be so bad....
A manga that fills the heart and make you smile :)
One of the most beautiful and calming manga I've ever read. I really want to go to Cafe Alpha and have tea with her.
Aware no mono
Nostalgia for a place I have never been to that does not exist this is amazing and subtle
Jesus. I finally finished this, and woah... Just incredible.
Masterpiece! Just like a beautifully written novel about nature and human place in it.
Reading it when you have some years behind you gives some extra depth into this manga.
amazing ..
But a bit sad.
Another work that will always have a special place in my heart.

Anyone know if the OVA is any good?
I have pressed the random button a couple of time and this is the first manga that appeared, guess i'll have to read it!
Finally, I'm done with this project! Phew... I'd wanted to upload this many days ago but I kept running into all sorts of problems. I couldn't access MT, had to look for alternative sources, the files wouldn't upload properly(.txt files, .zip within .zip within .zip), wrong chapter numberings(so I was forced to verify using 2 to 3 manga listing sites), corrupted files, missing chapters and the list of issues went on and on.

I'm really glad to bring this project to Batoto but I'm also really happy to say "Good riddance!" :D Hopefully, the chapters are all in the right order.
Reading through this is very relaxing, but the ending gave me an unsettling feeling for some reason.

Search Comics

Highest Rated Series

Recently Added Comics