Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
* * * * * (4.71 - 389votes)

Made in Abyss

Alt Names: alt メイドインアビスalt Φτιαγμένο στην Άβυσσοalt Made in Abyssalt 来自深渊
Author: Tsukushi Akihito
Artist: Tsukushi Akihito
Genres: Adventure AdventureDrama DramaFantasy FantasyHorror HorrorMystery MysterySci-fi Sci-fiSeinen SeinenSupernatural SupernaturalTragedy Tragedy
Type: Manga (Japanese)
Description: The enormous cave system, known as the Abyss, is the last unexplored place in the world. Nobody knows how deep down goes this titanic pit, inhabited by strange and wondrous creatures and full of mysterious ancient relics which purpose in unknown to modern man. Generations of bold adventurers have been drawn by the cryptic depths of the Abyss. In course of time those brave enough to explore the dangerous pit came to be known as "Delvers."

In Orth, the town at the edge of the Abyss, there lives a little orphan named Riko, who dreams of becoming as great a delver as her mother was and solving the great mystery of the pit. One day exploring the murky depths she stumbles upon a little boy, who turns out to be a robot...

http://mangalifewin.takeshobo.co.jp/rensai/madeinabyss/
Go to Made in Abyss Forums! | Scroll Down to Comments
The following content is intended for mature audiences and may contain sexual themes, gore, violence and/or strong language. Discretion is advised.

Latest Forum Posts

Topic Started By Stats Last Post Info
Topic The Nature of the Curse New Window Bluespheal
  • 2 Replies
Topic Tukushi Akihito's art New Window homogenized
  • 3 Replies
Topic Curse range New Window Brightamethyst
  • 3 Replies
Topic Time dilation New Window RBT
  • 4 Replies
Topic Old ladies a super sadistic pervert New Window truepurple
  • 39 Replies
Topic Faputa is the narehate of Riko New Window smol potato
  • 5 Replies

592 Comments

SHE'S

SO

FLUFFY

Either take that to the forums or use spoiler tags. From the comments section guidelines:

Nice combo breaker scared off my corespndence . I don't mind using spoilers but I'd actually like to facilitate discussion and spoilers are easily ignored. Plus the forums on this site are severely underutilized so there's no point going there either which is a shame.

What if they put Mitty into the box that can resurrect things? Would she come out normal or as her boneless self?

Not the yuri action I expected.

You know, everytime I see them use their "Bladed Fork" (seen on ch16.5) I am reminded of Clone High and how Ghandi and Abe made the Knork! =P

If it makes you feel any better none of it is quality checked and most of it isn't even typeset.

Nothing to fear so far;  No one has revealed anything specific. 

I read ahead because I lacked the willpower to wait. I'm reading again as chapters are released here, taking more time to enjoy the details. 

So I can scroll comments for memes again?

Thanks for telling me.

inb4 gets spoiled

And I just realized I can't read the comments here because of how everyone has read ahead somehow.

I feel sad.

Nothing to fear so far;  No one has revealed anything specific. 

I read ahead because I lacked the willpower to wait. I'm reading again as chapters are released here, taking more time to enjoy the details. 

On boy, even Bondrewd's whistle is terrific, it looks like a pair of interwined monster fingers.

And I just realized I can't read the comments here because of how everyone has read ahead somehow.

I feel sad.

If it makes you feel any better none of it is quality checked and most of it isn't even typeset.

"Narehate" - does that name have a meaning? Nvm if we find out later.

The term itself sounds to a Japanese speaker as something like "remnant". On page 13 of ch20 Nanachi says "Just like the name implies, she is a hollow husk of her former self". But in Japanese it's "narehate"/"remnant", not "hollow husk". It's written like this 成れ果て and can be divided into two parts: "becoming" and "result"/"limit".

I feel sad.

It's explained in chapter 40. The term appeared in chapter 6, page 2 for the first time.

any ideas on how to call Tamaugachi in Japanese it's a combination of "ball" and "drill".

Call it a Ball Drill!

Okay okay, maybe drill ball. Rolling drill? Porcupine. Spine sphere.

I don't know why, but after seeing the tsuntsuntsuntsuntsundere side of Ozen, I expect the new character to be either yandere or evil.

Also, the curse make me thinking of the divers who return to the surface. (surely already said)(nausea, bleeding by the orifices occurs if you go up to fast under water)

Now you'll finally be able to read chapters 17-19 with (mostly) correct translation. Go and re-read them! There has been many changes. Also, any ideas on how to call Tamaugachi in Japanese it's a combination of "ball" and "drill".

Either take that to the forums or use spoiler tags. From the comments section guidelines:

For [...] Texts approximately larger than ten lines,​

please use Spoiler Tags

intuition is not a skill, it is a sense. you are born with or without it and rarely ever behaves the same for different people. you can't train it, hone it, refine it. just like any of your five senses. however, the information it provides can be tempered with intellect and knowledge. knowledge, too, is not a skill. it is a repository of information that one collects. when it comes to knowledge riko has an edge over most delvers in that she has her mother's notes which are as valuable as any first rate relic. you'll soon see why these two things make her a dangerous opponent and only more dangerous the deeper she goes.

Intuition is both. It is very much something that can be trained and developed which is what skills are. The more one interacts in a particular field or activity, the more they learn, the greater they can develop their own sense of intuition related to that. I can concede that there is a difference between knowledge and skill. And I know what is going to happen later in the story, that is my whole point about how Riko's group being capable at certain levels whereas individually she is not of that same capacity. Being clever is fine, but not being able to withstand the environments of the lower layers just means she's smart food.

like i said before, the situations of ozen and riko are vastly different. apples to oranges. ozen is part of governmental forces, not the kind of person allowed to be going solo. deploying her is not something taken lightly. you speak of riko derisively, comparing her to an adult's accomplishments, one who would have died without her relics, yet you preclude consideration of riko's capabilities to include what she depends on, reg, who in turn depends on her. they are a system, one incomplete without the other, just as ozen would be a corpse without her relics.

Ozen is still a delver and if Lyza can be recognized as having individual records and achievements why can't Ozen? White Whistles also go on their own explorations and have their own plans but yes, they can be directly coordinated by the government which is what happens to Lyza, Ozen and a number of black whistles. But the whole idea of White Whistles is that eventually they will make their "dead end" trip to the sixth layer and that is of their own decision, not the governments. So no, Ozen is not just some government lapdog that only works in groups as far as the story presents.

You're also way too focused on trying to equate Reg to the pins when I keep pointing out that the main difference is that Reg is a separate sentient being that explicitly violates the rules of the abyss, while the pins just augment one person.

I have not forgotten Riko's capabilities; I factor in her knowledge as well as her survivability. She is not capable of surviving, by herself, on any layer past Layer 1 to be perfectly honest. I'm not being mean to Riko, I'm making an honest assessment of her personal abilities. She is a smart kid, but that knowledge alone doesn't make her the same as a Black whistle. Because my main point has always been that Whistles are more than just knowledge, they also embody endurance, experience, capability, and ability to survive and explore a depth. Riko on her one way journey only gets tastes of each layer and even now she's just gotten herself almost killed. Reg can blame himself for not pushing her further back but she wasn't tied down, she could have moved herself but has poor reaction time. You can't afford to have that in these hunting grounds.

Lastly, We don't know the circumstances of when in Ozen's career she started using the pins, only that it was an act of desperation due to injury. Was she a white whistle already? Was she just some unnamed red whiistle? What layer can they be found in? Are they easy to find? How long did it take her to accumulate 120+? She's been a white whistle for 50 years did it take her that long or has she been getting them for longer? There are so many questions that I'm not sure what you gain by pretending that even without the pins Ozen can be assumed to be a capable delver on her own merits.

I want to nitpick and point out that Knowledge and Intuition can both be considered skills.

intuition is not a skill, it is a sense. you are born with or without it and rarely ever behaves the same for different people. you can't train it, hone it, refine it. just like any of your five senses. however, the information it provides can be tempered with intellect and knowledge. knowledge, too, is not a skill. it is a repository of information that one collects. when it comes to knowledge riko has an edge over most delvers in that she has her mother's notes which are as valuable as any first rate relic. you'll soon see why these two things make her a dangerous opponent and only more dangerous the deeper she goes.

Remember that Ozen spent months in the 5th layer and still came back. Can you imagine Riko by herself surviving the fourth layer for a week after this chapter? No, she almost died on the first and second layer with no ability to defend herself.

like i said before, the situations of ozen and riko are vastly different. apples to oranges. ozen is part of governmental forces, not the kind of person allowed to be going solo. deploying her is not something taken lightly. you speak of riko derisively, comparing her to an adult's accomplishments, one who would have died without her relics, yet you preclude consideration of riko's capabilities to include what she depends on, reg, who in turn depends on her. they are a system, one incomplete without the other, just as ozen would be a corpse without her relics.

She gets better.... right? They give her some kind of artifact for a new hand.... right? ;_;

in their world, "skill" is not as important as knowledge, intuition and what resources you have. i don't think it's fair, saying a person with 12,000,000% strength is "doing all the work", while a person with a strong automaton(?) is not. what riko is doing is far more risky. ozen works with professional, experienced, geared-up groups whereas riko only has her mother's notes and one companion (for now).

I want to nitpick and point out that Knowledge and Intuition can both be considered skills. Resources is a separate category sure but there is a big difference between a resource like Reg, and the thousand human pins. When I say Ozen is "doing all the work" I mean that even with her strength she is still the only one providing input at the end of the day. Same with Lyza's pickaxe, its a tool not a companion. But that still doesn't take away from their experience, contributions and discoveries, and ability to survive in the abyss. Remember that Ozen spent months in the 5th layer and still came back. Can you imagine Riko by herself surviving the fourth layer for a week after this chapter? No, she almost died on the first and second layer with no ability to defend herself.

A whistle is only given to a person who matches the standards they designate. Yes people team up, but there is a reason why Ozen is the only white whistle in her own group. Her comrades aren't on the same level as her individually. Riko for all her pluck, is not physically capable of surviving the lower floors of the abyss. She even struggled to survive on the second layer which is why I'll reiterate that she is blue whistle at best.

Reg as a separate individual, and one that breaks the rules of the abyss is the main reason Riko has been able to make it this far. Together they are (in my estimation) around a moon whistle in terms of combined skills and survivability. There is more I could say to reinforce this but I'll wait a few chapters for some things to develop. All I will say is that even together they are not equal to a single black whistle.

My god, that was not comfortable. I have read alot of shit, but seeing lolis go through that is never ok.

It gets worse but the pain is offset a bit by the fluff that is Nanachi. 

Its hard to say the story is getting "good" since its difficult to enjoy events like this.  Better to say "Dramatic"?  "Engaging"?  Whatever you call it, the next few chapters elevate the story even further above your typical manga. 

Holy shit, it reminded me of that awful happy tree friends episode with the deer, but even worst. So much for the cute artstyle. Amd how the fuck are you going to climb up while you are bleeding all over, even through your eyes? Seems like layer 3 is the casual filter of the abyss

Bondrewd did nothing wrong.

Spoiler

Search Comics

Highest Rated Series

Recently Added Comics