Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
* * * * * (4.68 - 169votes)

Gunka no Baltzar

Alt Names: alt Baltzar Militarismusalt Bernd Balzeralt 軍靴のバルツァーalt Gunka no Baltzeralt Gunka no Balzer
Author: Nakajima Michitsune
Artist: Nakajima Michitsune
Genres: Action ActionDrama DramaHistorical HistoricalSchool Life School LifeSeinen Seinen
Type: Manga (Japanese)
Description: Glory is won over the roar of cannon fire. Peace exists simply as a time to prepare for the next battle. In a nation with superb military power, Bernd Baltzar advanced quickly through the ranks. However, his career now takes a sudden turn when he is reassigned to being the military advisor in a neighboring allied nation with little military power and a lack of civilian support of firearms. Will Major Baltzar be able to win the hearts and minds of both the soldiers and civilians in this country?
Go to Gunka no Baltzar Forums! | Scroll Down to Comments

Latest Forum Posts

Topic Started By Stats Last Post Info
No topics has been found for this comic.

290 Comments

chap 14: wtf did I just read?

Fuck only after taking world history do I finally understand how amazing this is. (I read this a few years ago? and didnt understand anything)

Helmut should've run the Tour de France.  :)

My head swims with the politics, but it's an interesting commentary on government/military/civilian complexities. And I dig the historical setting.

@Kaixe-Rho
I see...so a manga is only legit if it's full of attractive girls and/or plain guys?

I think he meant to say is that it's safe to say that the manga will not completely go man on man action at any point.

UUUUPDAAAAATEEEE!!!!!
*fanboying the shit out of this*

Oh man! I want more of this!
@raenef They are against the government siezing their assets (railway and trains) for militarization because then the government expects to use it for free. =P
Spoiler
@Kaixe-Rho Sorry sir, but you're mistaken!
Spoiler
10/10 would gladly follow orders into battle.
Dammit.....Anyone else read the chapter where they're drinking dunkel and eating ham hock (followed by the cultural chapter at the end of the chapter) and start REALLY craving them? Of course, I might be a little different, having been to a similar establishment in Germany....:P
Untill those guys start to make out with each other or they enter a lot of plain girls and an love story calling this "fujoshi-bait" doesn't make much sense. In fact nobody ever commented on the look of most of the characters, so while they're not drawn ugly they might actually be not pretty either.
For all purposes the author might just like to design "cool" characters without putting much thought into it. And unless they start fawning over each other or some plain girl and everyone starts commenting on how popular and pretty they are I don't see a problem.
My head swims with the politics, but it's an interesting commentary on government/military/civilian complexities. And I dig the historical setting.

@Kaixe-Rho
I see...so a manga is only legit if it's full of attractive girls and/or plain guys?
I kinda disliked the last comment and I really don't want it to leave an incorrect impression o new readers. To sum it up, just read it Don't expect romance, don't expect friendship. They were shot by rifles , blown up by artillery and trampled by horses.
See, because all the men are rather bishounen, I've had this suspicion that the entire manga is elaborately formatted fujoshi-bait. Well, I was thinking it was about to go into actual EXTREME fujoshi bait in the 9th chapter but then...well, it wasn't.
Spoiler
Love the fun facts this chapter!
pure irony those who produce military weapons are against militarization
I love this manga, first rate definitely, love the details in it.

Completely did not see that coming in this chapter and he was so dry about it.
Those blue bloob wimps.... Again.... Incridible...
Those "alleged" European freak out when seeing the leeches, really make ppl wonder how they manage each time they got treated with bloodletting by a doctor. Can't they get on with it calmly?

Poor Baltzar-san... This manga feel more and more like "Baltzar the babysitter". Or "Baltzar the player" perhaps?
Had a feeling he was a she since the first/second.. Thnx for the update EGS.
Soooo... Who didn't see those boobies coming? *Raises hand*
I've been addicted to this manga ever since its first chapter on EGS.
Though I can't really explain why... it's not full of action or anything...
But it really draws me in and rooting for the main character.
there is an old saying

Carl von Clausewitz

„Der Krieg ist eine bloße Fortsetzung der Politik mit anderen Mitteln“ (Vom Kriege I, 1, 24)
WOW. The 8th chapter was magnificent. Seems like the direction of the plot slowly changes from military technologies to politics and diplomacy.

The manga is pretty good and all, but somehow the characters are too... Japanese in manner and stuffs lol. Archaic, innert and over-dramatic. Hard to imagine they are European at all, let alone German. Or maybe just my notion of European? (No offense intended).

I think its safe to say the setting is parallel to Europe in 1860s, prior to the French-Prussian war of 1870. Note the German needle rifle which suppose to be Weiber's. The bayonet of those days were not a short dagger like modern one, though. It's either in tube form, or in long blade, otherwise it would be useless against cavalry.

However, the people of Baselland seem to be incredibly .... under-developped, in many ways. The light infantry tactic, i.e crouching and sniping practice, for feck sake, its already popular since 1790s, the Prussian themself were pretty good at this. Perhaps the author want to make a sharp contrast of between Prussian/Weiber and Baselland (Wuttemberg? Bavaria? Westphalia?).
Maybe the author got insiration from the history of Japan. At the 19th century they were totally overpowered by western technology.
Countries in the Europe too were not equally developed,. Though I have to admit, that the contrast is exaggerated.

This manga mainly focuses on the history on late 18th - 19th century though its would also mean that this was part of the war mostly before WW1 was fought...

Search Comics

Highest Rated Series

Recently Added Comics