Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
* * * * * (4.63 - 481votes)

Toaru Ossan no VRMMO Katsudouki

Alt Names: alt A Certain Middle-Aged Man's VRMMO Activity Logalt とあるおっさんのVRMMO活動記alt To Aru Ossan no VRMMO Katsudoukialt 某大叔的vrmmo活动记
Author: Shiina Howahowa
Artist: Rikudou Shuuya
Genres: Action ActionAdventure AdventureComedy ComedyCooking CookingFantasy FantasyHarem HaremSci-fi Sci-fiSlice of Life Slice of Life
Type: Manga (Japanese)
Description: Typical company employee Tanaka Daichi(38 years old, single) loves games and plays a new type of VRMMO called "One More Free Life Online" under the username "Earth". Inside this free world he chose several skills that are generally regarded as useless. Be it wasting time crafting potions, cooking up pointlessly tasty food, or hunting monsters with some absurd weapon he crafted, he simply enjoys playing the game.

Original Webcomic:
http://www.alphapolis.co.jp/manga/viewOpening/658000067/
Go to Toaru Ossan no VRMMO Katsudouki Forums! | Scroll Down to Comments

Latest Forum Posts

Topic Started By Stats Last Post Info
Topic Lates chapter discussion New Window Freenight
  • 40 Replies
Topic Suggestions? New Window Creecha
  • 4 Replies
Topic Light Novel Of This Manga??? New Window TeamdichJustT
  • 8 Replies

1201 Comments

Oh just a side note for the guys talking about the OPness of the ring and stuff, if you really wanna see TRULY OP gamebreaking stuff in a VRMMO, find a few Chinese stories. In those stories where the MC usually has to fight people that spend 1mil+ in USD on the game (cause gold buying and P2W is pretty much part of the Chinese MMO culture) the author having the MC find game breaking gear is the norm.

Something that gives 100% hit rate so the MC never misses no matter how much of the evasion stat the opponent has? check (note in these stories there is a evasion stat where even if your attack makes contact, it can still do no damage cause it "misses")

Something that gives 50% crit rate? check

Something that boosts ALL stats by 20% (or more)? check

Skills that multiply the MCs speed and/or strength by 2-4x (for a short period of time)? check

Something that allows the MC to ignore ALL defence/ressistance stats? check

The list just gets bigger and bigger as the story goes on.

Wouldn't Earth level up after defeating the dragon or did he lost this xp because he was dead?

there should be EXP penalty after death ... (including 2 minutes waiting)

but I don't know if the penalty for death will exceed or less compared killing dragon or not ...

I wonder if he would level up if he banged the queen.

well, if this H games ... which unfortunately isn't ...

I wonder if he would level up if he banged the queen.

Wouldn't Earth level up after defeating the dragon or did he lost this xp because he was dead?

guys, can you use the forum section of the manga?, it's really starting to get to dangerous levels and it's really feeling that is austriacus against the world (not that I care), but it looks more like a conversation between two than a comment section.

Ah yeah, i'm sorry. It's actually kinda hard to move a discussion that stems from a single individual's discontent in a comment section to the forum section if it wasn't this very single individual to be the one who create the thread on forum section.

Well, while i have the opportunity, 2 things about this chapter:

1. Anyone noted how Earth commented that his newly acquired bow need to be "romanced" first? New Harem Member confirmed! :P

2. Man i'm envious with how Earth got all of those loots from the dead Green Dragon. Why? Because, why in the freaking world can i got only 2-3 pieces of Fatalis' scale despite managing to defeat a whole one that should have been covered with thousand of it?!   :lol:

Can you guys move all these conversations somewhere else? All these walls of text in the comment section is not healthy for the eyes. x_x

guys, can you use the forum section of the manga?, it's really starting to get to dangerous levels and it's really feeling that is austriacus against the world (not that I care), but it looks more like a conversation between two than a comment section.

You understand that another posible outcome of his decision to face the issue would be to have a daily fight with a dragon right?

His beef was with the dragons taking advantage of him. Imagine if the green dragon had done nothing wrong in the eyes of the dragon emeperor

Do you think he would be left alone after one of their kin was killed?

Of course as the series dictates, he has luck on his side and the elder was a fuckward manipulating people, but he didnt know that ye was prepared to fight the whole dragon race for his pride.

You know what? You sounds like nothing but nitpicking right now.

I'm starting to question if you actually read the series or just skimming through.

"Hey Red Dragon! You promised to left me out of any Dragon business for rescuing your Princess, right?"

"Yes"

"Then what is this old green dragon geezer doing harassing me like this!?"

"Umm..."

And you dare say he's lucky? Okay that's it you seriously just a hater at this point. :D

And no, Inconsistent is different with Contradicting in this case.

"Earth doesn't want to be famous! But he always done something that makes him famous!"

Statement above is an example of contradiction, but when said contradiction always happen to the point we can EXPECT it, then it's not inconsistent at all.

I completely agree with you, a game otaku would act this way.

The thing is that he is not a gaming otaku, he just loves the game. He plays 2-3 hours a day, if he was a real otaku, his obsession would be so high it would affect his real life and chew more hours than that of his rl.

If the author had created this 38 year old ossan as a gaming otaku that spends all his free time playing games we wouldnt be having this conversation, his attitudes would be beliavable.

As it stands for someone who plays 2-3 hours a day that never give up attitude just doesnt fit.

you still don't understand ... even if 2-3 hours it still precious to him ...

(he is working and probably have plenty real life activity)

indeed he is NOT otaku, but he want to enjoy his game with his gameplay as he wish ...

the thing annoy him most ? The AI in the game, which makes other "alive" and doing whatever they want to MC because they take INTEREST / LOVE to him, but it become a lot more annoying ... just look at real human player character, they won't make trouble that much to him ...

do you know strict parent only permit their child with 1 hour game per day ?

then what happen if that 1 hour actually feels BAD because someone or something disturbing your gameplay ? EVERYDAY ? EACH TIME THEY PLAY ?

I think there's plenty violence case from the child because of it ...

(attacking their parent / friend, burning home, goes to drug and alcohol, sex, etc ... and might to the point of killing too ... THIS INCLUDING ADULT / PARENT WHO GET ADDICT FOR GAME ... and people blame the game or the school instead)

BTW, they are NOT otaku either ...

each precious moment for gaming is sacred for the one who love playing ...

(and it doesn't need to be otaku for this matter)

moreover, if that gamer hooked to single one game ...

try to play TORN ... you will most likely hate it ...

or love it if you love scamming, attacking, mugging and make other player miserable ...

and if you still pound at "reality", MC treat all AI as REAL PERSON or something, but their personality still in "development", base on "setting" and still mostly "selfish"  ... which makes it fail at several point of real person point of view, which is MC himself ...

yeah, I'm learning psychology so I can compare it ...

another example, try to watch Re-Creator ...

there's annoying "hero" character, the creator said he made it because it looks interesting ...

but when he face the character he create in real life, he said that it's actually troublesome / annoying ...

that's what MC in this Toaru Ossan face, an AI with characteristic / personality being set by developer which is "immature", and "selfish" (not to mention if they have "power" and "authority" in that world) ... just try if you meet that kind of person in real life, if you won't get REALLY ANNOYED ...

MC / Earth treat all AI as real life person, that's why all of their personality / AI get developed ...

and as backward, this is why all AI take great interest to Earth, to the point annoying him ...

moreover, Earth also take all of it personally like in real life too (since he view them as "life" too) ...

And turn it to daily quest with no reward when he already has limited time to play? Fuck that.

Also, the dragon is the one responsible for spreading those wanted posters. 

You understand that another posible outcome of his decision to face the issue would be to have a daily fight with a dragon right?

His beef was with the dragons taking advantage of him. Imagine if the green dragon had done nothing wrong in the eyes of the dragon emeperor

Do you think he would be left alone after one of their kin was killed?

Of course as the series dictates, he has luck on his side and the elder was a fuckward manipulating people, but he didnt know that ye was prepared to fight the whole dragon race for his pride.

Trying once is not enough, lets not forget that the one that demanded a fight with the dragon was the MC, not the dragon.
Read chapter 29 again, he dialed the situation to 11 with his reaction.
Honestly a npc asking you stuff isnt really such a problem dude.

And turn it to daily quest with no reward when he already has limited time to play? Fuck that.

Also, the dragon is the one responsible for spreading those wanted posters. 

hello ?

if someone or something bothering your gameplay you love so much, isn't that going to be REALLY ANNOYING for you ?

even just a game, someone will bound by his / her gameplay concept ...

Any otaku gameplay which really dedicated to certain game in their golden period know about this ...

Moreover, if you already grown old and not much other entertainment you can enjoy around your life ...

(Ossan = Old Man)

so yeah, you have a point "it's just a game" ... but for some people who LOVE PLAYING GAME, your concept can't be applied in there ... like "just log off" or just "bite the bullet and die multiple times for each gameplay" is seriously NOT in their concept ...

^^ this is a real in psychology case, and I misght as well suspect the author / LN writer is quite an addict gamer or at least know about this matter ^^

I completely agree with you, a game otaku would act this way.

The thing is that he is not a gaming otaku, he just loves the game. He plays 2-3 hours a day, if he was a real otaku, his obsesion would be so high it would affect his real life and chew more hours than that of his rl.

If the author had created this 38 year old ossan as a gaming otaku that spends all his free time playing games we wouldnt be having this conversation, his attitudes would be beliavable.

As it stands for someone who plays 2-3 hours a day that never give up attitude just doesnt fit.

He once ran away from the queen by logging off. She's still there when he came back. Doesn't look like he can run away from it.

Just die? There's no guarantee that dragon won't bother him again, and again. Too much trouble for him to be able to enjoy his game. There's also that wanted poster.

Trying once is not enough, lets not forget that the one that demanded a fight with the dragon was the MC, not the dragon.
Read chapter 29 again, he dialed the situation to 11 with his reaction.
Honestly a npc asking you stuff isnt really such a problem dude.

Nothing is forced on him, he can log off.

Like i initially said, people forget its a game. He can run from any inconvinience.

hello ?

if someone or something bothering your gameplay you love so much, isn't that going to be REALLY ANNOYING for you ?

even just a game, someone will bound by his / her gameplay concept ...

Any otaku gameplay which really dedicated to certain game in their golden period know about this ...

Moreover, if you already grown old and not much other entertainment you can enjoy around your life ...

(Ossan = Old Man)

so yeah, you have a point "it's just a game" ... but for some people who LOVE PLAYING GAME, your concept can't be applied in there ... like "just log off" or just "bite the bullet and die multiple times for each gameplay" is seriously NOT in their concept ...

^^ this is a real in psychology case, and I misght as well suspect the author / LN writer is quite an addict gamer or at least know about this matter ^^

Spoiler

He once ran away from the queen by logging off. She's still there when he came back. Doesn't look like he can run away from it.

Just die? There's no guarantee that dragon won't bother him again, and again. Too much trouble for him to be able to enjoy his game. There's also that wanted poster.

Holy shit, guys, you need to calm down with your wall of text.

The guy just want to play the game, he wants to be stronger but doesn't want to be bothered too much by others. 

If he runs away from the inconvenience, he needs to stop playing the game. He loves playing the game so he needs to solve it. It's that simple.

He doesnt need to stop playing. There are no real consequences to his death in game, not solving the problem is not an issue, this is not real life. Its not a real problem.

If you havent noticed, every time he tries to solve a "problem" it opens up the way for a new one. Eventually if he stops engaging with things that are troublesome the chain of problems will just dissapear.

Running away is def an option, as is dying, seeing as "solving the problem" hasnt actually worked in stoping the problems coming to him. 

Loving the game has got nothing to do with this, he can love the game while accepting the aproach he is taking to his predicaments is not working.

If this was an isekai story, if this was his real world you would have a point, but engagement in a virtual world as a response to all situations is shortsighted.

Maybe if this was a full loot dropinng on death mmo you would have a point.

What exactly would happen if he just sits there and takes their rage and dies? He respawns with some temporary status decreases. He can just go craft meanwhile or something.

As i said, no consequences to his escape or giving up. He was already doing it, he just got pridefull and changed course acting like a kid.

Holy shit, guys, you need to calm down with your wall of text.

The guy just want to play the game, he wants to be stronger but doesn't want to be bothered too much by others. 

Like i initially said, people forget its a game. He can run from any inconvinience.

If he runs away from the inconvenience, he needs to stop playing the game. He loves playing the game so he needs to solve it. It's that simple.

in case you don't notice, THE SITUATION FORCE HIM TO DO THAT !

and he have no control to other who make that challenge to him ...

beside, if he really ignore that hunt / wanted poster to him, it will pretty much broken his gameplay and being hunt around which is UNPLEASANT !

in case you don't notice too, all that challenge of fight more or less are being forced to him ...

Ugh *facepalm*

Okay, let's break down your "complaint" one at the time...

Spoiler

Yeah, because that's how you should play a game when you're an adult, right? /s

Because adults play game totally to learn about Actions and Consequences, right? /s

Summary: I think you should have use the word "Contradictory" instead of "Inconsistent", because these inconsistencies you speak of are actually happening quite consistently. Then again, even contradiction between Earth's action and his desire to not be disturbed by fame can be explained. He likes to do his best playing this VRMMO, hence why even if he know his victory would only make him more famous, he can't just intentionally give up.

Inconsistent and contradictory can be used interchangably here, it is a fact that his actions are both inconsistent in the sense that his attitude towards his aim changes and contradictory in the sense that both paths are oposed to each other.

The rest of your posts are strawmens and points i have answered a lot of times, like a lot.

Im not saying how he should play a game, you keep talking as if im trying to impose an idea of how to play to him.

Im saying hes an adult, and he needs to act that way because adults act a different way.

He acts like a teenager in the game, this is not believable to me, as an adult myself.

Its like the author just made the fact hes older a gimmick.

Im not saying he should learn to know his actions have consequences, im saying that because of his age, the fact he works, the fact hes lived that long, that aproach to life should be more obvious from a narrative perspective, he should have to learn this, he should already know this.

As to all your other points, you still dont get it. Dude has already rejected the call to adventure for great oportunities, all i want is for him to keep doing that so that he can have fun in the game and not draw attention.

Honestly your not really reading what im typing here, if you arent gona actually gona read my posts just dont respond, its terrible because you keep writing paragraphs and paragraphs of things i have already answered.

What im saying here is not complicated.

MC needs to reject the call of adventure and use the advantages he has to do so. He has already rejected the call of adventure because it would make him stand out, i want him to do it again. This is because he wants to have fun and i want him to have fun.

Im not asking him to lose, im asking him not to engage.

I read it, it changes nothing of what im saying, like i said, im not denying the way he interacts with the world, but it is inconsistent.

Ugh *facepalm*

Okay, let's break down your "complaint" one at the time...

Spoiler

He is an adult, not some child. He should be aware of where he stands and that his actions have consequences.

Yeah, because that's how you should play a game when you're an adult, right? /s

Because adults play games totally to learn about Actions and Consequences, right? /s

Summary: I think you should have used the word "Contradictory" instead of "Inconsistent", because these inconsistencies you speak of are actually happening quite consistently. Then again, even contradiction between Earth's action and his desire to not be disturbed by fame can be explained. He likes to do his best playing this VRMMO, hence why even if he know his victory would only make him more famous, he can't just intentionally give up.

• gzb likes this

I read it, it changes nothing of what im saying, like i said, im not denying the way he interacts with the world, but it is inconsistent.

He expects no special treatment even though hes treating the world in a special way. He wants freedom but his actions and feelings restrict him.

He wants people not to pay attention to him even though he does outrageous things.

He just fought a end game boss alone and defeated it and got super rare items and he probably expects the world to shut up about it "wahhh im doing fucking outrageous game breaking shit but people wont leave me alone! Why am i gaining so much attention??!!??"

He is an adult, not some child. He should be aware of where he stands and that his actions have consequences.

in case you don't notice, THE SITUATION FORCE HIM TO DO THAT !

and he have no control to other who make that challenge to him ...

beside, if he really ignore that hunt / wanted poster to him, it will pretty much broken his gameplay and being hunt around which is UNPLEASANT !

in case you don't notice too, all that challenge of fight more or less are being forced to him ...

Read my edited comment.

Like i said, Earth only problem is he doesn't like too much coverage. With that in mind, nothing about how he plays the VRMMO this whole time is inconsistent.

He expects no special treatment even though hes treating the world in a special way. He wants freedom but his actions and feelings restrict him.

He wants people not to pay attention to him even though he does outrageous things.

He just fought a end game boss alone and defeated it and got super rare items and he probably expects the world to shut up about it "wahhh im doing fucking outrageous game breaking shit but people wont leave me alone! Why am i gaining so much attention??!!??"

Spoiler

Read my edited comment.

I mean he just bought a cloack that hides his face when he puts it on, he can just keep that shit on all the time so that nobody knows who he is. 

Problem solved.

Like i said, Earth only problem is he doesn't like too much coverage. With that in mind, nothing about how he plays the VRMMO this whole time is inconsistent.

Just wanna say, to be fair we don't know how long he has been playing the game, 2 hours a day with the queen frequently teleporting on him nearly every day over say...2-3 weeks is plenty of time for me. Plus its very different to talk to a NPC in "the flesh" that has very human-like reactions compared to a NPC that has a set amount of lines on a screen where you're just selecting options.

Edit: for your lastest reply, Ok i get it now.

Edit2: rereading the chapter to recheck a few things

Edit3: Ok so it seems like half the reason is for the benefit of queen herself. Also I think being able to see the queen is a reason to attract attention itself. Just imagine if others knew he can go see the fairy queen whenever he wants, pretty sure people would start hunting him down so they can use him to meet the queen themselves.

I mean he just bought a cloack that hides his face when he puts it on, he can just keep that shit on all the time so that nobody knows who he is. 

Problem solved.

I still don't think it's as OP you make it to be, as its stat increase really just useful to endgame player then. Plus, what to say there won't be any other similar ring item with higher rarity and higher percentage increase which would make the Fairy King Ring pale in OPness in comparison? Plus, considering an own-crafted weapon could have increased damage of average ten point between generation, i have the feeling that this particular VRMMO has been designed with default char stat low, so that flat numbers actually better than percentage increase.

There are quite difference tho between VRMMO and MMO. Basically, in VRMMO, there are not as much limitation as MMO, especially in battling and crafting. For example, Combine Herb A with Herb B, if its fail, change how you combine it. In MMO, all you can do is choose the ingredients. Or, try to use your arrow directly by flinging them. In MMO, this is usually not possible as players usually are given a limited set of move they can use with certain weapon. Which result that, it's actually easier to create new Meta in VRMMO as opposed to MMO.

About this third point, Earth is funnily seems to always immersed himself too much in this VRMMO. He does always plays by the gameplay mechanic, like mercilessly killing designated enemies and doesn't worry about dying at all, but he always treat every NPC and the game lore like real. So it didn't really matter much whether Earth knows there are advanced A.I in said VRMMO, he will treat NPC like real living being.

Hes like the endest of endest game players there is. He so end game basically all his items are unique or several tiers above all the rest in the game. We can talk all day at what could replace that ring all you want, and actually, now that i think about it, it would be a good plot point. But the fact of the matter is that currently, taking into account where he stands in the game, that item is really fucking strong. 

As to the flexibility, if you notice, from the beggining of the manga, there is a set of rules and meta already established. Its not people in general who think outside the box, but the main character. And what does everybody else do? they immitate him.

This is how it goes in MMOs. Games can have the most changing metas ever, but its up to people to look for new ways to play, and doing that its tiresome so people just look for builds or emulate famous players. So all that freedom? Useless. People in the manga act the same way gamers do irl, they chose the path of less resistance to play the game.

Lastly, im not denying the way he acts. He clearly cares about the game. My point of contention is precisely that, stop caring so much so you can have fun playing the game the way you want.

To put it simply, hes acting too serious about wanting to playing a game in a non serious way if that makes sense.

Spoiler

Spoiler

About this third point, Earth is funnily seems to always immersed himself too much in this VRMMO. He does always plays by the gameplay mechanic, like mercilessly killing designated enemies and doesn't worry about dying at all, but he always treat every NPC and the game lore like real. So it didn't really matter much whether Earth knows there are advanced A.I in said VRMMO, he will treat NPCs like real living being anyway.

Spoiler

Continuing on from my previous point, the information provided by the manga is not really adequate, as i think it's only these pages here:

Spoiler

Basically, the probable explanation the manga has provided as to why Earth really want to just play for "fun", but unnecessarily gave too much attention to NPCs, is... He want to experience again life he used to enjoy. A life where he feels like he can explore anywhere, has many friends to interact to, and doesn't yet have many responsibilities to shoulder. Hence why he doesn't like the unnecessary responsibility and fame, yet he treat other NPCs like real being. Long story short, it can be summed to: The way Earth plays was to fulfill his own fantasy.

Spoiler

Okay, i have to disagree completely with you here.

The Fairy Queen actually doesn't have that much of an authority, i mean, don't you remember how easy that Green Dragon geezer threaten her and her country and the surrounding human countries just to bait Earth out?

Search Comics

Highest Rated Series

Recently Added Comics