Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

In the beginning, there was nothing.

Lawrence Krauss Atheism Theism Big Bang Theory Evolution Creationism Universe from Nothing Science Philosophy Religion

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13 replies to this topic

Poll: A Universe from Nothing? (6 member(s) have cast votes)

From a layman perspective;

1. Ultimately graspable (2 votes [33.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

2. Ultimately ungraspable (1 votes [16.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

3. Other alternatives (3 votes [50.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

Vote

Leptailurus Serval

Leptailurus Serval

Potato Spud

• Banned
  • 39 posts

Posted Image

Unarguably, within the realm of YouTube Atheists punditry, there was a time where many of them simply admitted honestly that they do not know what caused the Big Bang - a position that was somehow misinterpreted by the Creationists as a direct admission that the former believe the universe simply exploded from nothing. This Creationist attempt to ridicule is of course was vehemently rejected by many Atheists alike.

And yet, strangely enough, through the passage of time, numerous facts pointing out that the ridiculous label is actually supported by scientific evidences started popping out here and there. All these observations and experiments are of course has been well known for quite some time within the scientific community but not to the general public.

It was only when Lawrence Krauss publicized his popular book regarding the matter that the notion of a universe from nothing commenced to become widely known to the outside world. While the Creationists will undoubtedly continue with their - fantasy turn to reality - ridicules, how should we as laymen respond to it? Can such convoluted idea be graspable to the overall population at large?

Edited by Kaze Araki, 08 December 2012 - 08:16 PM.

Analord

Analord

Potato

• Members
  • 157 posts
  • Location5D
I believe in Jesus.

Se aí tem fé, aqui tem axé.

Laurens D

Laurens D

Baked Potato

• tC Donator
  • 1,475 posts
  • Locationin the tower!
I think it's more a what if, There is unlimited possibilities. They are trying to recreate a small big bang by smashing protons together they say they've found things but it's never actually confimed or it will take another ... Years for them to find out more about it while there another 'Unlimited' possibilities. Personally I don't care about the past, but more about the future.

Personally, I think there was a big bang, a lot of atom's and a world was created eventually. Life came from bactaria and evolved. and that is how life was created. The end :P

Posted Image

This is not my fault!

You could have bought my cookies.

Kreian

Kreian

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,337 posts
jesus is my savior

tumblr_m792o1vknh1qj0scwo6_250.gif

Couch Potato

• Retired Mods
  • 3,043 posts
Science needs to be a lot more unfriendly to keep away the atheistic and religious imbeciles.

In three days, Physical Review Letters will publish interesting paper on the subject of the beginning of everything with authors Ivan Agullo, Abhay Ashtekar, and William Nelson, from Penn State University. As you can see, the new fad is Big Bounce. Get on with times, nerd.

The opinions expressed by this user are solely their own and do not express the views of Batoto and its staff.

Leptailurus Serval

Leptailurus Serval

Potato Spud

• Banned
  • 39 posts
Assuming you know what you quoted from:

How is this:

"This paper pushes back the genesis of the cosmic structure of our universe from the inflationary epoch all the way to the Big Bounce, covering some 11 orders of magnitude in the density of matter and the curvature of space-time," Nelson said. "We now have narrowed down the initial conditions that could exist at the Big Bounce, plus we find that the evolution of those initial conditions agrees with observations of the cosmic background radiation."

Disproves any of Krauss' arguments?
If anything:

The new paradigm of loop quantum origins shows, for the first time, that the large-scale structures we now see in the universe evolved from fundamental fluctuations in the essential quantum nature of "space-time," which existed even at the very beginning of the universe over 14 billion years ago.

This support Krauss even more!

Edited by Kaze Araki, 08 December 2012 - 09:26 PM.

SidL

SidL

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 570 posts
"Which one came first the- the chicken or the egg?"

Mistake

Mistake

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 658 posts
"Through God my Jesus there is salvation and life forever" Psalms 23:7
  • You likes this

S.C.

S.C.

Baked Potato

• Contributor
  • 1,258 posts
  • LocationThe Epicenter of Indifference

"Which one came first the- the chicken or the egg?"

The egg, duh.

Posted Image

©®åƒ†¥µåGGø†

©®åƒ†¥µåGGø†

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 217 posts
  • LocationIn your ear.

how should we as laymen respond to it? Can such convoluted idea be graspable to the overall population at large?

Glub.

[It is my... personal belief that people are unequivocally irrevocably implacable and incapable of understanding such immaterial conceptions as those you presently put forth. Not because they are stupid, but because life exists beyond atheism and science. Creationist attempts to downplay science are unsurprisingly flawed and foolhardy, as the personification of a banana does not an argument make. In layman's terms, a creationist trying to argue against documented scientific evidence using ignorance of science as their primary weapon is just as funny as a christian trying to argue against norse mythology by quoting from the bible. In other words, it's quite funny.

Regardless, if there is an acceptance that these are merely two competing models of the universe, perhaps people can just leave it well enough alone... get on with science, get on with religion, and get on with their lives. Yea. It won't happen though. People need constant reassurance that they are correct. Such weak and inferior beings... The taste suits them though.]
  • JeD likes this
Looks like a duck? Tastes like a duck? Walks like a duck? It's a panda! :batoto_010:
oh darn.

Horn

Horn

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,078 posts
  • LocationWelded to my computer chair.
Oh, great.

Am I the only one who thinks this isn't a particularly good topic to discuss because it pretty much always leads to flame wars?

UIqflpq.jpg

pizhhh

pizhhh

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,029 posts
  • Locationin jail

Oh, great.

Am I the only one who thinks this isn't a particularly good topic to discuss because it pretty much always leads to flame wars?

My thoughts exactly. Plus, of all the places you could choose to discuss this matter, why an online manga reader's forum?

Leptailurus Serval

Leptailurus Serval

Potato Spud

• Banned
  • 39 posts

Glub.

[It is my... personal belief that people are unequivocally irrevocably implacable and incapable of understanding such immaterial conceptions as those you presently put forth. Not because they are stupid, but because life exists beyond atheism and science. Creationist attempts to downplay science are unsurprisingly flawed and foolhardy, as the personification of a banana does not an argument make. In layman's terms, a creationist trying to argue against documented scientific evidence using ignorance of science as their primary weapon is just as funny as a christian trying to argue against norse mythology by quoting from the bible. In other words, it's quite funny.

Regardless, if there is an acceptance that these are merely two competing models of the universe, perhaps people can just leave it well enough alone... get on with science, get on with religion, and get on with their lives. Yea. It won't happen though. People need constant reassurance that they are correct. Such weak and inferior beings... The taste suits them though.]

While I do not know what you meant by "life exists beyond atheism and science", I can assure you that "People need constant reassurance that they are correct" is a trademark of religion and not science, thus why between the two; only science works.

Dafortminor

Dafortminor

Omnipotence

• Global Mods
  • 752 posts
  • LocationEverywhere
No offense but I am going to go ahead and lock this, I just feel there is a flame war as Horn mentioned coming between people who are religious and people who believe in Science. I think it could get nasty so I will lock it before getting to that destination. Seeing from the previous comments its leading up to this.

-Daffy
Best and fastest way to contact me is via Discord: Daffy#9194.