Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Noblesse vs Tower of God

• Please log in to reply
139 replies to this topic

Hoet

Hoet

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 323 posts
I enjoy the fights in Noblesse a little more. This may change because tog has a log of potential, and I expect the fights in the tower to be epic in the higher levels. The characters in Noblesse are funner to read about while I think its more of the extremely unique ideas that tog has that keeps me reading it.

They both have a story revolving around a person whose very cell membranes are made out of extra thick plot armor. But tog is more based on the development of a character's supreme superiority at the cellular level. While noblesse is just a thug ass motherfucker killing anyone in sight because he's been this way since the dawn of time, and it ain't gonna change anytime soon.

Noblesse is very predictable, and systematic. As much as I love it, the storyline has no comparison to tog.

Edited by Bumble, 28 November 2012 - 10:06 PM.

hmmerp_zps488b0742.png

Iraji

Iraji

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 89 posts
right now i like ToG more than Noblesse mostly because noblesse has been repeating itself for a while now, new enemies come, fight and are surprised by how strong the characters are, try some underhanded move and rai gets rid of them.

comedic elements : rai being ridiculously "elegant"

Wash, rinse, repeat.

atleast with ToG i dont feel like the characters are guaranteed to come out on top.

from a technical standpoint the art in noblesse is better i've just seen that style too much to care for it anymore

noblesse fights are more enjoyable and last longer but they are predictable.
ToG fights are short but epic

i dont enjoy SIU moving the story along so slowly, i hope it doesn't end up like Naruto Posted Image

i enjoy both, but I actually stay up at night waiting for a ToG release

Edited by Iraji, 02 December 2012 - 09:43 PM.

Urek Mazino

Urek Mazino

Russet Potato

• tC Donator
  • 487 posts
  • LocationAustralia
I love both, I stay up late at night and since reading ToG I've generally declared it the best, however at the moment ToG's pacing is too slow compared to Noblesse, both webcomics have great art now, for both of them it was a bit scrappy at the start, the plot of ToG feels more original, but both comics have plenty of originality. I honestly can't begin to compare the two, they're too different, sure we can compare the art, fight scenes and what not, but you can't compare them as a whole they're far too different.
Disclaimer: I'm often rude without realising it so try not to get too offended.

Tyler Durden

Tyler Durden

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 38 posts
I like both but I do think that they have interesting differences

Noblesse is certainly not plot driven, and depends entirely on its two main characters (Frankenstein and Rai) which, by my standards are pretty well written and drawn for your avergae shonen heroes.
Noblesse (which a lot off people who don't like it don't seem to realize) doesn't take itself seriously. The authors know Rai is ridiculously ultimate badass, and they actually make fun of it. (at least i see it that way)
The plot might seem to keep repeating itself, but I still feel as if there are no ridiculous power ups : Rai and Frank were alrdy as strong as they are now. + the M-21 and company do get beaten up pretty badly. Though it'd be nice to see one die :)

TOG on the other hand is a manhwa that lives in the shadow of its secodnary characters. And that's incredibly tangible from the get-go: the reason the Headon arc is brilliant is not because of Bamm but because of Headon, Yuri, and Evan. They basically make the story what it is. And that's a constant in the entire manhwa (Koon, Rak, Leroro, Leesoo Androssi ... do I need to keep up? :) )
Which is why the whole Badass Baam of season 2 drives away from the manhwa's essence and what makes it great: Baam is not as great a character as Rai, and he suffers from too much exposure.
TOG's story is actually brilliant for one reason SIU manages to take a simple test (ie: make the ball pop) and twist it around itself, until it is totally used to its full storytelling power. (another reason why Untrustworthy room is terrible is the over complex test, with the BS ending of a plot twist).
And SIU's art is great at putting forward good punch lines.

In a sense they're two different manhwas and they succeed (most of the time) at what they do; but it's nice to talk about the differences.

Edited by Tyler Durden, 03 December 2012 - 10:52 PM.

"They got this guy, in Germany. Fritz Something-or-other. Or is it? Maybe it's Werner. Anyway, he's got this theory, you wanna test something, you know, scientifically - how the planets go round the sun, what sunspots are made of, why the water comes out of the tap - well, you gotta look at it. But sometimes you look at it, your looking changes it. Ya can't know the reality of what happened, or what would've happened if you hadn't-a stuck in your own goddamn schnozz. So there is no "what happened"? Not in any sense that we can grasp, with our puny minds. Because our minds... our minds get in the way. Looking at something changes it. They call it the "Uncertainty Principle". Sure, it sounds screwy, but even Einstein says the guy's on to something". The Man who wasn't there.

Nyanyanya

Nyanyanya

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 50 posts
  • LocationBangkok, Thailand

right now i like ToG more than Noblesse mostly because noblesse has been repeating itself for a while now, new enemies come, fight and are surprised by how strong the characters are, try some underhanded move and rai gets rid of them.

comedic elements : rai being ridiculously "elegant"

Wash, rinse, repeat.

atleast with ToG i dont feel like the characters are guaranteed to come out on top.

from a technical standpoint the art in noblesse is better i've just seen that style too much to care for it anymore

noblesse fights are more enjoyable and last longer but they are predictable.
ToG fights are short but epic

i dont enjoy SIU moving the story along so slowly, i hope it doesn't end up like Naruto Posted Image

i enjoy both, but I actually stay up at night waiting for a ToG release

What I wanted to say a long time ago since season 2 ended....
So basically, tog is actually more based on the plot and everything was there in the beginning as soon and Baam passed the first floor when heading said 'were u watching? The child has gone up... What are u going to do, child?' but it was merely something tht people would miss but it was actually the main point of the story onwards

jharexz21

jharexz21

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 10 posts
Noblesse is repetitive, beat the villain all over again. the main character is overpower...

Urek Mazino

Urek Mazino

Russet Potato

• tC Donator
  • 487 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Noblesse is repetitive, beat the villain all over again. the main character is overpower...

Viole is quite OP too, so is every main character in every comic ever.
Disclaimer: I'm often rude without realising it so try not to get too offended.

dannkiaz

dannkiaz

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 6 posts
You know every one here says that ToG has a great plot, but i honestly don't think so. I read it a while ago when it had maybe 50 chapters and i wasn't able to even finish that. I found the plot of ToG to be complex to the point were it collapses onto its self. So much information is added without any development of the old information. My example, is what i think is the Black March? The sword Baam gets in the first few chapters. With this i assumed ToG would about Baam learning to use his own power instead of borrowing from a someone else, a common theme. The fact that he only uses it once then looses it almost instantly is fine. Its a plot twist, something original. The problem is that there was no development. I'm sure now in the story it ties in, but at the time, with no growth, no action, nothing, leaves me completely befuddled. Plot twist are good, but with the wrong timing it repels readers that are starting. The plot is interesting, sure, but that doesn't mean it's good. On the other hand Noblesse has a very generic plot. But with great characters, good writing and just enough twists and originality, its plot is better than the irrational events in ToG.

natestorm12

natestorm12

Potato

• Members
  • 194 posts
  • LocationSomewhere over yonder...
Noblesse and ToG are two different stories with different qualities that lets it stands out. Here is my opinion:
  • Noblesse have amazingly long intricate fights that satisfies the readers and fantastic art drawn that puts a lot into detail.
  • Readers don't need to evaluate as much to get where the plot for Noblesse is going. Easy enough to understand for many readers. No real confusion from readers unless some were not paying attention to the plot.
  • The fighting arcs are repetitive enough that the readers won't be mislead into what the plot would be going next.
  • ToG have amazing character development throughout the story and short but epic fights that leaves the readers excited for more.
  • Readers will have to give the world of ToG some more thought than other stories. This intrigues many readers that wants to think and debate over the plot development.
  • With not a lot of repetitive fighting arcs and more focus on drama, readers are often wondering what will happen next ( not clueless as in "Idk where its going" but, more like intriguing speculation on "how will this story turn out?)

My outlook on the two stories are that there really is no need for a "versus" between the two.
We are all fellow readers and fans of the two stories, both are great webtoons in my opinion :D

1142054-bigthumbnail.jpg

Spoiler

Nyanyanya

Nyanyanya

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 50 posts
  • LocationBangkok, Thailand

You know every one here says that ToG has a great plot, but i honestly don't think so. I read it a while ago when it had maybe 50 chapters and i wasn't able to even finish that. I found the plot of ToG to be complex to the point were it collapses onto its self. So much information is added without any development of the old information. My example, is what i think is the Black March? The sword Baam gets in the first few chapters. With this i assumed ToG would about Baam learning to use his own power instead of borrowing from a someone else, a common theme. The fact that he only uses it once then looses it almost instantly is fine. Its a plot twist, something original. The problem is that there was no development. I'm sure now in the story it ties in, but at the time, with no growth, no action, nothing, leaves me completely befuddled. Plot twist are good, but with the wrong timing it repels readers that are starting. The plot is interesting, sure, but that doesn't mean it's good. On the other hand Noblesse has a very generic plot. But with great characters, good writing and just enough twists and originality, its plot is better than the irrational events in ToG.

Thats why ToG is better it's just the fact that you don't read it well enough. All of the clues are set up in the beginning. Made to be missed. But Noblesse is more like someone's ongoing life story. But still I do like Noblesse but I have to stand up for ToG too.

xBrew

xBrew

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • Location@warp prt_fild08 50 50, Prontera

You know every one here says that ToG has a great plot, but i honestly don't think so. I read it a while ago when it had maybe 50 chapters and i wasn't able to even finish that. I found the plot of ToG to be complex to the point were it collapses onto its self. So much information is added without any development of the old information.

Tower of God has like a pyramid plotting where one plot is introduced first and then it's followed by two, three, four more so on and so forth. I understand that the author likes the idea of making it a mental story, but these too much plots being thrown around combined with inconsistent story panels are the reasons why I don't like it as much as Noblesse.

At least with Noblesse, what it lacks in plot complexity it compensates for its cliff-hanger killers, incredible battle engagements (yeah, Franky and the gang are bound to always win on their every battle appointment, real question there is how will they do it this time?), art, and out-of-nowhere humor. Its plots may not be that deep and complex but it's not too shallow either since it can still leave you guessing for most of the chapters. Well, my two cents anyway.

pokari

pokari

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 69 posts
Honestly, Noblesse reminds me a lot of Bleach. It started with an interesting scenario and a small handful of characters in a tense scenario, and then devolved into a fight-festthat is much less thoughtful but extremely well paced and tugs on heartstrings here and there enough to keep us absorbed. It's impossible to say whether it will further devolve into the fail-fest that Bleach became.

Tower of God doesn't have such a solid analogue. The rediculous amount of world-building that the author does (and then only briefly references in the official published work) reminds me of nothing so much as reading The Lord of The Rings, although the similarities to Tolkien pretty much end there. The three largest strengths of ToG are its world-building, its character development, and its art (especially landscapes).

If you stop and look at it, TOG's plot is actually kind of trippy and vague at times, and often events are stretched out in a world conveniently full of tournaments. But the story is really about the characters and the setting so far, and not as much about the kind of hazy direction the plot is going in, which has served ToG well. As for the sudden plot jumps--that could have gone terribly wrong, but it didn't, and I think we should all be appreciative of an author who's willing to take risks to keep things interesting, especially in a long-running series like this.

As you can tell, I like both series. At the moment I like ToG more, but there have been cases where the opposite was true.

2snobal

2snobal

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 17 posts
I see a lot of posts here regarding which webtoon is superior, but I don't believe that it's a reasonable idea. For starters, SIU has laid out the world of ToG so that it expands as the story progresses, hence the introduction of so many characters that we have yet to see. Noblesse does not have as wide of a universe, but in return it does have very strong characters. ToG has a vast amount, but this is just to add to the complexity of the tower. As we know, there are a large amount of Regulars; there can only be so many unique personalities.

Noblesse has strengths in regard to the characters and the somewhat small world we're introduced to.
ToG excels in character development (Koon comes to mind) and the complex conspiracies which encompass the whole of the tower.

Point is, they have different purposes and strengths. Until ToG has been out for a little bit longer, there is no fair comparison.

kayaille

kayaille

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 27 posts
  • LocationUS/Korea
I believe that Noblesse has differing strengths than Tower of God.
Noblesse also does have two people (or possibly more) working on it, so you would think that it would be of a higher quality.
Tower of God has one person who has to do everything (well, except for coloring) by himself.
Also, the characters and humor in both strips are hilarious.
While, yes, Baam is a little generic, he does somehow make you feel certain things. He's adorable ^^
Rai is super hot. End of discussion.
What I really love about both stories is that there isn't just some random reason they have awesome powers, and both of them also have weaknesses to their powers.
Spoiler

So, please, don't compare the two overall. It's just a waste of time/showing how prejudiced you are towards one or the other.
I'll admit right now, I'm a TOG fangirl, but even I know they are equal.

"I've got a bigger chest than you! You stinking male ape!"

-Yeon Yihwa, Tower of God.

AKA Flamethrower, BBQ girl, Molotov Cocktail

Toullaty

Toullaty

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 493 posts
  • LocationArras, France
Hum, Baam hasn't gain his powers in a experiment, he had already.

Xocolatlx

Xocolatlx

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 7 posts

Hum, Baam hasn't gain his powers in a experiment, he had already.

but to get to the next bad-ass level, he was indeed experimented on. he was talented already, but I don't think he could have controlled 5 bangs before the experiment...

to answer the original topic, lots of people have already said what I'm about to say, but I'll just throw in my two cents...
Personally, I enjoy Noblesse because of the great action and fight scenes, which is emphasized by the beautiful character design, which ToG cannot compare with; however, ToG has a more complex plot and continually moves, unlike Noblesse, which is kind of repetitive.
We all know Rai is badass, but the artists seem to know that themselves; so they leave the attraction to the art and fight sequences. Viole himself has a lot of power too--every time his team mates are in trouble, he has to step in.
conclusion: both are great webtoons that I'll be following until the end

I am rather impressive, yes.

~Frankenstein--Noblesse

Lazy

Lazy

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 2 posts
Noblesse is pretty much a darker DBZ combined with Bleach(Fight enemy, power up, fight next enemy, power up, rinse and repeat) Soul weapons= Zanpakto. It has no mysteries to be solved and isn't very original. It is still fun to read when you just want some fight scenes without any thinking.

strixflash

strixflash

Potato

• Contributor
  • 198 posts

Noblesse is pretty much a darker DBZ combined with Bleach(Fight enemy, power up, fight next enemy, power up, rinse and repeat) Soul weapons= Zanpakto. It has no mysteries to be solved and isn't very original. It is still fun to read when you just want some fight scenes without any thinking.

Hi, Welcome to Noblesse Forums!
What about ToG?
Do you perhaps meant to say the concept of shinsoo is original? It isn't a single percet original!
Or you meant to say the concept of ranking; passing the tests to level up/to achieve something is original? Or the hidden shadows doing some manipulations is original? Or the main character meeting group of different characters who becomes attached to him due to his naive personality? Sorry but neither is ToG original!
Starting would look like the remake of HxH.
You would say there is more than just passing tests and achieving goal, but doesn't the same applies to other mangas? There's always more than just DBZ fights. (Frankenstein & Rai's personalities are original and they don't power-up as far as I can see).
Every work have its own creative elements...

Noblesse Forever!

Spoiler

nuknuk

nuknuk

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 45 posts
Yeah, its all a matter of personal opinion. The only things you can really compare is the artwork, story structures, flow, technical crap, etc. If you're just saying which is the better manga, that is going to be personal.

However, due to the complexity of TOG, and how much SIU loves weaving together SO many various characters, we actually don't know any of the characters well. On the other hand, Frankenstein's character has been pretty well established. I believe some prefer the convoluted nature of TOG while others prefer the more defined characters in Noblesse.

TheUnknownMercenary

TheUnknownMercenary

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 15 posts
  • LocationCanada, Ontario
IMO ToG has a much wider story, If you take into account all the different aspects, most of which 50% is outside the story, waiting to be dragged in at some time, the irregulars that haven't been introduced, all the rumors, the fact that each level is about, what, the size of a contenant, and that there are so many levels. Even all the characters that play pivetal roles in the series yet haven't been introduced yet. The shere scope of the story itself is intense.

In saying that, the art sucks really...the colouring has been improved by a lot, but the basic characters haven't improved in terms of art which...sorta sucks, the action scenes are good when there is some, but not at Noblesse's levels.

Noblesse on the other hand, has great art, the story is good, not as grand, but it's vaste as well. The actions scenes are far better as well.

Overall i read Noblesse for the Action, and then story second...that and Frankies sadistic tendancies :D and i read ToG for it's story, and action second...and Violes awesomeness...

Posted Image