Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Noblesse vs Tower of God

• Please log in to reply
139 replies to this topic

ernabc

ernabc

Potato

• Members
  • 115 posts
  • LocationRomania
Many readers of ToG are saying that these 2 webcomics are in totaly other levels , ToG being much better.
I think it is wrong to be compared but I'll try here :).
They have other gender/age target and Noblesse is updated much later here than ToG due to Scantation teams policies.i am a fan of both of them . I think Noblesse is better written but ToG has much more ideas. Noblesse is nice paced with excellent commedy parts and the art is very good. i can compare it with a good serious book. On the other side ToG is,like I said, full of ideas, with plenty of comments at abnormal level, a LOT of characters (many with very short appearences). If I would be a critic I'll give a 9/10 for Noblesse and 5/10 for ToG. What differs are the worlds created. The style is better in Noblesse but in ToG the world is much more complex. The age targetted is 10 to 40 in ToG and 16 to 40 in Noblesse. It is really hard for kids to like excellent commedy parts from Noblesse and very easy for normal and rare commedy from ToG. Both are based on fantasy action with the mention that the parallel action in ToG are harder to follow.

Being so many differences I think is not good to say one is better than the other like an overall .We might like only one or one more than other but I don't think it is good to compare them. To make an analogy you can't say your mom is better than your dad if they love you and give you their all.

Edited by ernabc, 12 November 2012 - 08:54 PM.

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts
  • Locationunderground like a wild potato

Many readers of ToG are saying that these 2 webcomics are in totaly other levels , ToG being much better.

Being so many differences I think is not good to say one is better than the other like an overall .We might like only one or one more than other but I don't think it is good to compare them. To make an analogy you can't say your mom is better than your dad if they love you and give you their all.

I think your very first sentence speaks volumes.......readers of TOG think TOG is better than....(fill in the blank, just pick a title, any title). As I'm sure can be said for the most fervent fans of Noblesse as well.

I think you're 100% right in your opinion that "it's not good to say one is better than the other". The two works, and any other you'd care to include, in the end should be judged on their own merits. I might like one better than the other, but in the end that's just a matter of personal opinion and taste. To critically compare different works doesn't really serve any purpose beyond personal preference.

And I'm a TOG fan, though I understand Noblesse is very good.......I do still plan on reading it some day. :D

Tn7HA0h.png

inFamous

inFamous

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 453 posts
They are both awesome, but to "compare" these 2 isn't really fair. Noblesse is older than TOG. And as long as it's been existing, it has yet to deter from it's roots, something that happens a lot in other mangas/manhwas/webtoons. Take Naruto for example: this manga to me was perfect all around in the beginning, but over time, especially in the latter part, the author has slowly changed the some of the "rules" he had established earlier or should I say, he has created loopholes to get around them. People now have unlimited chakra, immortality, using techniques they aren't supposed to, gaining god-like abilities with little or no training (this word doesn't even exist in this manga anymore). The comedy is gone and don't even get me started on the multiple plot holes. But anyways, compare this to something like One Piece, History's Strongest Disciple: Kenichi or any long lasting series that stays true to it's roots. This is the only issue I have with TOG. I wouldn't say it's a young webtoon, because it has 118 chapters, but it still has a very long way to. So far its been great, but can it stay the way it is and maintain its awesomeness?

Edited by infamous, 13 November 2012 - 01:57 AM.

leah

leah

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 36 posts
I don't get it. You say that it is wrong to compare them but you're going to go ahead and do it anyway? Even going as far as to score them out of 10 (if it were up to me, I would reverse the scores: 5 for Noblesse and possibly 9.5 for TOG).

Although I do read Noblesse, it's TOG that I stay up for. I agree with Svine that Noblesse fans will think that Noblesse is better, and TOG fans will think that TOG is better. I guess it's fair to say that everyone is entitled to their own opinion but being a TOG fan I just have to defend it in this case.

In my opinion, TOG appeals to a more mature (in age of course) audience. I would honestly be surprised if there were many 10yr olds reading TOG. Recently, there was a poll on the TOG forum to see how old its readers were: 1 person below 12, 2 above 40 and the mean age was roughly 21. Like you mentioned, "in TOG the world is much more complex". Therefore, it doesn't make sense that TOG is given a targeted age of between 10-40 when Noblesse, which is less complex, is given 16-40.

Also, I find that the comedy in both are pretty straightforward and that's why they're funny. For example, they're either really random or really obvious. So I don't understand how you can derive the targeted age from that. Comedy should be for everyone unless it requires more knowledge to understand the joke.

Lastly, I believe that TOG has the better story and style (this is just purely based on my opinion). However, Noblesse has better and longer fights. I'm not going to expand on this because I think I've been rambling on long enough.

Overall, I do agree with you to an extent that it's not right to say that one is better than the other. It's okay to mentally compare the webtoons for yourself but telling others that they are wrong to think something is better than something else is not right. Although it may seem hypocritical since it feels like I've just spammed you with "TOG is better" throughout my post, just take it as a a good natured counter to your OP which seems to scream "Noblesse is better" :D

Edited by may, 13 November 2012 - 02:25 AM.

Nihonomaruh

Nihonomaruh

Potato

• Members
  • 117 posts
What ever you guys say i still love reading both of them... i dont like to compare them because as you said its wrong that you compare two good manhwas... One thing i can say they are both good on different terms... I dont like people saying "ToG is better than Noblesse" and the other guy is saying "Noblesse is better than ToG"... So cut it out guys they are both good manhwas and we all know that we all like reading them...

will_of_fire_by_manga_wolf-d5qr0am_zps43

"My sin is my own existence."

Νεχ ποσσυμ τεχυμ ωιωερε, νεχ σινε τε.
Nec possum tecum vivere, nec sine te.
I can live neither with you, nor without you.

Nihil Sine Nefas
Nothing without a sin

Furudo Erik

Furudo Erik

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 733 posts
I agree.

Stop comparing the two.

And especially because the argument is moot until Koon becomes even 1/4 as awesome as Frankenstein is.

Spoiler

Noblesse has far better pacing than ToG, and it doesn't trip up over itself. It's very polished, whereas ToG, despite being on a different level in terms of plot, art, and general originality, simply is still very rough.

Someone made the HSDK and Naruto Analogy, and that is very apt. Naruto was buried under the weight of Kishimoto's limitations as a writer, whereas Kenichi shines via it's authors working within his skill level and high amount of polish in the writing and art.

In the future, if SIU isn't careful, he can wind up going the Kishimoto route, since, like Naruto, TOG is a very plot-centric, rather than character-focused. Whereas Noblesse, like One Piece and HSDK, is carried by the strength of it's characters and the great fight sequences. Although, considering the last season, I wouldn't say that the writing has the same level of polish as those other two series :P.

strixflash

strixflash

Potato

• Contributor
  • 198 posts
Like said in above posts, ToG fans will say that ToG is far better than Noblesse, and vice versa.
Personally I find Noblesse far better than ToG.
In terms of character (art) design, ToG doesnt stand a chance when compared with Noblesse. While the art is really good sadly the character design is plain and unsatisfactory. Noblesse have a far superior art.
In terms of character (personality), ToG have a very generic protagonist. I dont think I need to define it.

The only strong point ToG have is the author's skill by how he drive the story in chapters. There are several chapters without really any development both plot and character wise, but fangirl/boys still cheers on and rate it 10 just because how author carries out the events. In Noblesse such chapters really feels boring (see season 5 as an example), which is the main reason why Noblesse have 9.8 as average rating on Naver compared to ToG's 9.9.

Both ToG and Noblesse have vast no. of characters (Noblesse have Elders,Clan Leaders,Traitors, Lord,Werewolves(?) as stock characters).
Originality:
I will say none of them are completly original. There are many ideas in both Noblesse and ToG which have already been used.
Ofcourse no fanboy/girl will agree with it. But the strong point is that both of them use those used ideas in a much more innovative way.

I am sure ToG fans will find these comment as biased ;)

Noblesse Forever!

Spoiler

ernabc

ernabc

Potato

• Members
  • 115 posts
  • LocationRomania
9.9 and 9.8 are not normal grades. A third party critic person will give 1 to 10 for art, characters, action development for each chapter and so on..9.8-9.9 are grades put by fans who have a lot of subjectivity. If we want to be fair art in Noblesse is twice better than in ToG, The add of more infos in the blogg is ok for us, the fans but it is not really accepted by the critics, being not a real part of manwa. SIU can anytime rethink of those infos and change them. An info into one of the manhwa chapters will remain for ever.About the number of characters - in Noblesse there are less than half of GoD's number of chars. You won't see characters with names to appear for just a page in Nobless ; be sure I forgot +90% of ToG's names but I remind of the helper's group of low class Noblesse .
Noblesse might have a lot of chars but they aren't NAMED until they are important to the action.In the rest of time they are like anonymous soldiers and officers in an army.

Edited by ernabc, 13 November 2012 - 01:12 PM.

sorrow

sorrow

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 442 posts
  • LocationThe States, Colorado
I am a big fan of Noblesse, and Tower Of God, but if I were to put them in a poll I would have to go with the majority and vote TOG. It makes me sad to admit this when I consider the difference in art quality. Noblesse is obviously a 10 but even the best art in TOG only ever reaches 7-8. SIU often has characters in TOG of much lower quality, I can think of more than a few I wouldn’t rate above 3. But when it comes to story that’s where I’m sold on Tower Of God. SIU dose it flawlessly whether its character development, foreshadowing, or merely comedic-relief. On story I would rate TOG 9-10 and Noblesse only 3 maybe 5 on Frankenstein's back story.

Don’t get mad about my lighthearted estimation in-between the two because I would rate ‘Magician’ over Noblesse and it doesn’t have half the followers Noblesse has. Magician has good art and story, what can I say? I like my manhwa web toons balanced :D

You must die, I alone am best!

Posted Image

Signature: a swordsman in ‘Magician’

Spoiler

paraquat

paraquat

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 238 posts
  • LocationCashin a keg of Natty Ice with Fratmaster Urek "The Man"zino
I prefer ToG, but I don't read Noblesse for the reasons that I read ToG. I enjoy ToG for the conspiracies and vast world-building, and I read Noblesse for the elegance.

Really it's like comparing prime rib and elegant cousin of prime rib.

"Koichi really steals! No dignity!" - Jusuke Josder

InfamousD

InfamousD

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 98 posts
I discuss points which might be regarded as spoilers for someone who has not all chapters of Noblesse uploaded to Batoto as of today, hence the spoiler tags
Spoiler

tl;dr: I enjoy both. I however prefer ToG to Noblesse and have reasons for it.

strixflash

strixflash

Potato

• Contributor
  • 198 posts
If you are comparing Noblesse to Dragon Ball, then doesnt same applies for ToG?

Starting of ToG is a korean remake of Hunter x Hunter.

The concept of using "tests" as a mode of story/plot development is also formualic. And in Noblesse "investigation" is the story device.
How can you say ToG to be original? Doesnt it have the generic characters of a survival manga? Some calculative,some naive and some jealous. And then the calculative ones get softhearted because of the naive lead. Then there are some shadows who controls the development around main lead. Isnt this too generic?

Well Noblesse is also not completly original and I agree with that....But saying Noblesse isnt but ToG is, its completly biased right?

Noblesse Forever!

Spoiler

darklord55555

darklord55555

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 17 posts

although i barely use my account to post, this seemed like an interesting conversation...

First of all i find it is kinda unfair to judge the 257 chap. nobless with with the 118 chap. of TOG

if we judge Nobless at the end of it s second season (chap. 154) i think that Tog is a little bit superior to

Nobless in terms of story. Tog 9.5/10 noblesse 8/10. in term of arts Nobless is highly superior to Tog

.Noblesse 9.8/10 Tog 7.5/10. although what i will say may be a bit biased ( not sure myself) but i found that

TOG characters were more likeable then noblesse however Noblesse characters were more well written so

this is a bit tricky... BUT if we count from noblesse season 2 then TOG has superior character cast because sadly

the main characters were barely introduced at the time (raizel and frankestein). points for season 2. Tog 8/10 Nobless7/10

and finally Which one is better? No idea in hell: Both have their strong and weak points so it is too hard to judge which one is better in a critic unbiased way so it comes to personal preferrance in the end...

I prefer TOG but i cant say that it is superior then noblesse

Edited by darklord55555, 14 November 2012 - 03:42 AM.

InfamousD

InfamousD

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 98 posts

If you are comparing Noblesse to Dragon Ball, then doesnt same applies for ToG?

Starting of ToG is a korean remake of Hunter x Hunter.

The concept of using "tests" as a mode of story/plot development is also formualic. And in Noblesse "investigation" is the story device.
How can you say ToG to be original? Doesnt it have the generic characters of a survival manga? Some calculative,some naive and some jealous. And then the calculative ones get softhearted because of the naive lead. Then there are some shadows who controls the development around main lead. Isnt this too generic?

Well Noblesse is also not completly original and I agree with that....But saying Noblesse isnt but ToG is, its completly biased right?

You present a few points, I'll try and cover them. The first one, I don't think it compares to Dragon Ball at all. About HxH, I'm sorry but as I haven't read it I cannot compare them (I'll admit I might sound biased solely out of ignorance and if so go ahead and point a few stories I might want to catch up). The way I wrote might have been pretty biased, but I haven't said ToG was original. I said its possibilities are infinite when compared to Noblesse. Why? Simply because the "endpoint" is somewhat fuzzy yet solid enough to become a goal. The top is far away, the real top is unknown, and there are things to do once you reach the current top. It also diverges from Dragon Ball since the setting allows for coexistence between Omega Shenron leveled characters and Pilaf leveled, and you don't meet them in a nifty ladder (I don't want to spoil ToG for anyone trying to decide if they'll pick it up or not). In this point I say Jae-Ho is using the shonen formula better than Toriyama: there is that pretty ladder of slightly better foes each time, but at the same time the endpoint is set (in DB it wasn't and you could just repeat ad nauseaum) and we do know who they are. And the "Union can't be bothered enough to send an elder to investigate" is credible and well applied in Noblesse. About the shadows in ToG, there are. But case in point, there are lots of different shadows in lots of different places, each with their own agenda, making it somewhat more than just a driving force for the main character. About the softening of the calculative ones, that depends on the character's personality as it is shaped by its background. Some are (Ha Jinsung), some are not (Yu Han Sung). And both are "villiains" and softening or not are unfazed in reaching their own personal goals.

It is true that I am biased, and I find ToG better. I also based most of my arguments in things that are subjective (I prefer one "kind" of plot over the other). I also do believe that I didn't try to mask it when I wrote the first comment. If it comes to reading one or the other I'd say "Why not both? And Trace and Magician by the way?"

ernabc

ernabc

Potato

• Members
  • 115 posts
  • LocationRomania
I start this topic because of some comments on ToG forum and because on Batoto these 2 great webtoons are biased treated because of a Mod.
What I also observed ? The Batoto ToG's community is the only one better than Noblesse's community. In any other forums where both are treated in the same way Noblesse has better ranks. I'm not saying that Noblesse is better than ToG, just saying there is not fair treatment.
I liked Trace a lot. I don't like Magician so much (maybe because I'm an adult guy).
If someone here is fair please read the prologue and the first chapter of Noblesse and of ToG. I need more than a year to start reading ToG. I read P+1 several times and stop . I realized later why.
About Idea being much more important : I have 2 manga set of ideas in my head much more better than those in Noblesse and ToG but I don't think it will be easy to surpass them (or even compare to them). When I start to write my first novel my teacher told me I don't want many excellent ideas to write a good book , that I only need one.My first chapter had at least 5.

Edited by ernabc, 14 November 2012 - 05:14 PM.

InfamousD

InfamousD

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 98 posts
Sorry I did not fully understand the second paragraph. and part of your first. You want people to compare both webtoons based on 2 chapters each instead of 100+?If you compare movies by their trailers, its going to come down to which one promises more, or atleast how fun/interesting it is going to be. That's atleast as subjective as any opinion you had so far. The only thing I can say objectively is that artwise, both Noblesse and ToG are quite aproppriate (Noblesse has realistic characters, as it's set in a universe pretty much like the real world, while ToG makes use of the liberty its setting allows, with talking lizards and "flying" sea serpents. The coloring and overall drawings are,however, better in Noblesse.
From what has been said in this thread most people can already choose what they prefer to read first, even if in the end they might prefer the other webtoon.
The whole ideas part just lost me. But if you manage to develop a plot that surpasses most manga, get an artist to draw it (just like in Noblesse, or Death Note) or just pitch the idea to a publisher and they will probably provide you one. As long as you can convince them as well as you have convinced yourself you're good to go.

NightMareX1

NightMareX1

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • LocationThe Moon
Noblesse repeted itself and its plot (that was never good to start with) until i droped it (tun tun tun tunz). I really don't think this manhwa is in some sort of "another level". Kiss Wood; Shin Angyo Onshi; Id; A Fairytale for the Demon Lord and of course, Tower of God, are way better in so many aspects that I really don't need to explain.

Noblesse seems like the japanese Clamps, but with more bishounens (yeah, its possible) and have a little bit more of fan service.

Edited by NightMareX1, 14 November 2012 - 04:51 PM.

ernabc

ernabc

Potato

• Members
  • 115 posts
  • LocationRomania
The ability of a writer to draw you into his world is revealed in one or 2 chapters. It is hard for me to accept a manga or a novel which didn't impress me from the start.
I'm a romanian. It is hard for me to find an artist here but I'm thinking of put them(novels) on one of my blogs.
@InfamousDemo I really hate to quote . Yes, what I wrote are my answers/comments for 2-3 different posts.

Edited by ernabc, 14 November 2012 - 05:23 PM.

InfamousD

InfamousD

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 98 posts
Oh ok then. You might want to try multi-quote, it is pretty useful!

Edited by InfamousDemo, 14 November 2012 - 05:48 PM.

Aimon Sama

Aimon Sama

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • LocationStuck in the Haze Daze

They have other gender/age target and Noblesse is updated much later here than ToG due to Scantation teams policies.i am a fan of both of them . I think Noblesse is better written but ToG has much more ideas. Noblesse is nice paced with excellent commedy parts and the art is very good. i can compare it with a good serious book. On the other side ToG is,like I said, full of ideas, with plenty of comments at abnormal level, a LOT of characters (many with very short appearences). If I would be a critic I'll give a 9/10 for Noblesse and 5/10 for ToG. What differs are the worlds created. The style is better in Noblesse but in ToG the world is much more complex. The age targetted is 10 to 40 in ToG and 16 to 40 in Noblesse. It is really hard for kids to like excellent commedy parts from Noblesse and very easy for normal and rare commedy from ToG. Both are based on fantasy action with the mention that the parallel action in ToG are harder to follow.

Ii'm gonna have to agree with you on this. I do personally hate it when people compare 2 or more completely different manga's/manwha's. To me, It just doesn't make any sense at all to compare them. I like ToG and Noblesse equally though. I only recently found ToG about 2 months ago, while i'v been with Noblesse for almost 2 years.

6ec40a9ca97739124a684fc6f8198618377ae221

Signature:Headphone Actor

~Kagerou project~