Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

[SPOILERS] Current Chapter Discussion

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts
  • Locationunderground like a wild potato
A great story so far, the main character is super sweet and always cute and positive no matter what misfortune and harassment she's faced with. Thanks to AQUA Scans for scanlating this very good drama/slice of life story and hopefully everyone will take the opportunity to discuss it here.

Tn7HA0h.png

mizuouji

mizuouji

Potato Spud

• Contributor
  • 38 posts
  • LocationAQUAland ~
The last chapter makes me wanna hug my grannie ;_;/

c7u53.jpg

Contact AQUA Scans!!

website|forum|tumblr|email|mangaupdates

We're currently recruiting new translators and redrawers.

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts

The last chapter makes me wanna hug my grannie ;_;/

Haha! yeah, you're right, it was a very sweet, "feel good" chapter.....though that last panel seemed a little ominous for the next chapter if it was what I thought it looked like......

Tn7HA0h.png

Comadrin

Comadrin

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 799 posts
  • LocationManetheren, but more realistically Southern California
This last chapter, no 6, was a real tear-jerker. Like several other stories I've come across about AI (artificial intelligence) life forms, the author is trying to tell us something about how we are as humans, and that we often don't live up to what we should be. In a science fiction book by H. Beam Piper, the mc finds himself talking to robots as though they were human, and wonders about himself. Then he comes to the conclusion that it is far better than the people who treat other people as though they were machines. Robert Heinlein, in his book, "Friday," tells the story of "artificial persons," basically people bred in laboratories, who are regarded as sub-human and used for degrading jobs.

This mangaka is showing us robot characters who exhibit real empathy, something that is often lacking in humans, and which lack is responsible for most of the crime in the world. I place this manga along with Yokohama Shopping Trip, where Alpha, the android mc, is spending her life finding out what being human is, although this is a much darker story than that one. I am looking forward to more of this manga. Thank you, AQUA Scans, for bringing us such a great story.

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts
Yup, agreed, the novel Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep by Philip K. Dick and the webtoon 3 Level Combination also come to mind as far as the question of just how "humane" humanity really is at times.......

Tn7HA0h.png

Comadrin

Comadrin

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 799 posts
Yes, I should probably read Philip K. Dick's book. It would probably be interesting and thought provoking. I used to discuss AI with my late brother-in-law. He was a software engineer (and a very good one), and we had both read Roger Penrose's book "The Emperor's New Mind," where Penrose argues that true AI is still a long way off. My BIL felt that it was not nearly as far off as Dr. Penrose felt. Aside from the morality question of creating such a thing (does creation allow us to regard ourselves as Creators/gods?), he felt that we would have no more right to lay down the law to these AI beings than we did to take people from non-technological societies in Africa in the 1700's and 1800's and use them as slaves. I have an enormous feeling about sapient beings, and have been an admirer of Koko, and the Gorilla Foundation for many years. While I feel that anti-carcenogenic drugs should be tested on mice and rats before being tested on humans, I hate the idea of painful and redundant experiments being conducted on primates, dogs, and other animals. I hunt, fish, and enjoy cooking and eating the earth's bounty of animal protein, TO A POINT. I damn sure couldn't go to a restaurant that served pangolin or echidna, not because I couldn't afford it, but because eating an endangered or at risk species is something I just couldn't do, anymore than eating the brain of a live howler monkey. It's totally f@#$%^g disgusting, in every sense of the word.

I guess I got a little off the subject of AI and androids/robots. Without going into Asimov's Three Laws of Robotics, we have to decide what level of intelligence these constructs have. If they have consciousness, they have life, rights, and protection under the law in my opinion. Maybe I am a moron, who will be crushed and disregarded by the corporate moguls of our future, but I think that is what our mangaka, and several other mangaka and authors are trying to tell us. Perhaps if we start thinking about children in sub-saharan Africa and women and girls in Pakistan and Afghanistan as human beings, and demanding that they be regarded as such, we will have a far better environment to invent intelligent or sentient beings and be able to love and respect them, as we should respect and love the children and women in places where they are regarded as commodities, garbage, or a source of sin.

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts
Awesome new triple release, sooo close to the end of the story now........

Tn7HA0h.png

Comadrin

Comadrin

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 799 posts
A great triple release, indeed. I like the "major" even less than I thought I would when he first appeared in the earlier chapter. He really has to have a poetical justice comeuppance of epic proportions coming his way, or I will be extremely upset! There are scumbags, very great scumbags, and then there are people like him.

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts

A great triple release, indeed. I like the "major" even less than I thought I would when he first appeared in the earlier chapter. He really has to have a poetical justice comeuppance of epic proportions coming his way, or I will be extremely upset! There are scumbags, very great scumbags, and then there are people like him.

I'm voting for the townspeople to rip him limb from limb in an organized act of vigilante justice..........but that's just me.:D

Tn7HA0h.png

Comadrin

Comadrin

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 799 posts
Well, he lost, but I still think something more should have happened to him. It was a rather quick ending, and Craw San didn't even get to see his parents. I am just glad that Mayple San overcame the reprogramming is still happily doing her thing, serving tea and making others happy. Quite a commentary on human behavior and motivations. The manga was pretty short, but I enjoyed it.

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts
True, it was a fairly quick ending, though I think we can read into it somewhat that the Major got quite a bit more punishment than we actually see. He was, after all, responsible for destroying an entire military program and exposing the "powers that be" to public sentiment in the secret use of the dolls for war.........so I'm guessing he was hurt pretty severely as far as "future career prospects" go.

And yeah, Crawford didn't meet with his parents in the end, but I personally like to interpret it as them having somewhat reconciled. Not that it's spelled out for us though, but I guess sometimes these things are left to the reader to decide for themselves. Overall a very sweet story.............short, but sweet.

Edited by svines85, 03 January 2013 - 10:51 PM.

Tn7HA0h.png