Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

How is unni funny?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

truepurple

truepurple

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,461 posts
So she gets him to call the other girl unni, then they all laugh at that. Would someone please explain?

Hoet

Hoet

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 323 posts
shoulda read the top of the chapter

hmmerp_zps488b0742.png

Akumetsu

Akumetsu

Fried Potato

• Donator
  • 637 posts
No, the bottom ;p

Hoet

Hoet

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 323 posts
However the explanation of why is most definitely printed on the top

hmmerp_zps488b0742.png

Rant

Rant

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 636 posts
  • LocationHidden Floor
yeah it says on the top of the char, but why it IS embarrasing? some one knows?
its just about manners? or something hot?

I have alwavs found that Angels have the vanity to speak of themselves as the Only Wise. This they do with a confident insolence sprouting from systematic reasoning.
W.B

oliverwashere

oliverwashere

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 56 posts
  • Locationthe chasm of sleep
Only Korean girls refer to girls older than ,but closer to, their age as unni. Boys refer to girls that are older than, but closer to, their age as noona. It's a cultural thing that could possibly be a homosexual joke or a joke about how ignorant, inattentive, or slow Enzu is.

Edited by oliverwashere, 03 October 2012 - 03:47 PM.

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts
  • Locationunderground like a wild potato

Only Korean girls refer to girls older than ,but closer to, their age as unni. Boys refer to girls that are older than, but closer to, their age as noona. It's a cultural thing that could possibly be a homosexual joke or a joke about how ignorant, inattentive, or slow Enzu is.

Yeah, you're probably right, I doubt anyone who wasn't raised in a culture where gender was important in language would really be able to fully appreciate the joke or find what happened as funny as someone who did.

Tn7HA0h.png

Kappa

Kappa

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 24 posts
  • LocationSomewhere

Yeah, you're probably right, I doubt anyone who wasn't raised in a culture where gender was important in language would really be able to fully appreciate the joke or find what happened as funny as someone who did.

I was raised and am still in the united states speaking only English (wish i knew more though) and the joke still made complete sense. Personally i just think that its not your culture but the sense of humor you were raised with.
Just living Life to what I want to.

Posted Image

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts

I was raised and am still in the united states speaking only English (wish i knew more though) and the joke still made complete sense. Personally i just think that its not your culture but the sense of humor you were raised with.

yup, could be. i mean it isn't that i didn't get it and find it funny but as hilarious as the characters did? nah, obviously not

Tn7HA0h.png

Dresos

Dresos

Potato

• Members
  • 150 posts
I got it, but then again... the nerd is strong in this one. ^_^

TheCrowSword

TheCrowSword

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 732 posts
  • LocationDenmark
Hmm, to simplify things... How embarrassed would you be if you happened to called one of your friends for mom or dad by accident :P ? (at around their age especially )

Edited by TheCrowSword, 04 October 2012 - 08:24 PM.

Posted Image
Spoiler

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts

Hmm, to simplify things... How embarrassed would you be if you happened to called one of your friends for mom or dad by accident :P ? (at around their age especially )

mmm, yeah, i'm guessing the thing that they (the characters other than Enzu) found soooo funny was that by using the wrong term according to gender, he was in reality calling himself a girl.......a girl would call her unni and a boy should call her noona. He used unni, so i suppose it's so funny because he just feminized himself. English just doesn't have these things, gender in personal pronouns, yeah......her, she, him he......but none of that reflects back specifically on the user like the Korean stuff does.

I can get it all day long but there's no way I can ever find it as funny as they do.

Tn7HA0h.png

Rant

Rant

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 636 posts
  • LocationHidden Floor

it would be akward calling my Girl... MOM LOL

I have alwavs found that Angels have the vanity to speak of themselves as the Only Wise. This they do with a confident insolence sprouting from systematic reasoning.
W.B

TheCrowSword

TheCrowSword

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 732 posts
  • LocationDenmark
Well not really my point but I think you get that, more or less xD. anyways I was just reminded about when I was a kid, and my best friend did that. I laughed a lot :D (almost died laughing there). so I was comparing it to something that could happen in our culture equally embarrassing. Yes you know this but really I just have to say it once more.

Also such things tend to depend (for me and my friends) on how close a relationship you have with people. You can laugh to death when a close friend does something embarrising, were you might just instantly move on at work or school if the same thing happened(just stating the obvious, unless ofc you are a bully :P).
Posted Image
Spoiler

Meow Zorg

Meow Zorg

Potato

• Members
  • 115 posts
  • LocationNapa, California
it's kind of calling your teacher "MOM" after waking up in class.

To be honest i believe that fan service is terrible

truepurple

truepurple

Baked Potato

• Members
  • 1,461 posts
I thought I remember her asking him to call her unni though, that he used that term on her request.

And so I don't know what these terms mean, that doesn't mean I am dumb. Thankyou those who explained it for me.

Edited by truepurple, 28 October 2012 - 10:21 AM.

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts

I thought I remember her asking him to call her unni though, that he used that term on her request.

And so I don't know what these terms mean, that doesn't mean I am dumb. Thankyou those who explained it for me.

She asks him to call her "noonim", complaining that he always calls Matthew "noona" but her "ajumma".....meaning she's an "old" lady......I guess noonim is more formal than noona. In the manhwa all the boys call the older girls noona, but the obvious middle aged women ajumma.
vol 2 03 ch 11

Edited by svines85, 28 October 2012 - 04:26 PM.

Tn7HA0h.png

sorrow

sorrow

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 442 posts
  • LocationThe States, Colorado

Ya everyone has pretty much hit the nail on the head. I had a similar experience speaking Japanese I used watashi wa to refer to myself instead of boku wa and everyone laughed. Girls use watashi wa men use boku wa lol unless they want to talk like Elmo and say their own name in the third person… Anyway they picked on me for a while before telling me I didn’t call myself a girl but that I was speaking very politely like a well-mannered person or (girl) not the manual laborer that I am.

img000023.jpg

Edited by sorrow, 07 May 2013 - 11:43 PM.

You must die, I alone am best!

Posted Image

Signature: a swordsman in ‘Magician’

Spoiler

Rant

Rant

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 636 posts
  • LocationHidden Floor

Ya everyone has pretty much hit the nail on the head. I had a similar experience speaking Japanese I used watashi wa to refer to myself instead of boku wa and everyone laughed. Girls use watashi wa men use boku wa lol unless they want to talk like Elmo and say their own name in the third person… Anyway they picked on me for a while before telling me I didn’t call myself a girl but that I was speaking very politely like a well-mannered person or (girl) not the manual laborer that I am.

lol the barriers of language :P

W.B

Yaomo

Yaomo

Baked Potato

• Donator
  • 1,757 posts
  • Locationwathcing you from some place far away

when i got to "manual laborer" it all made sense. oh lol, that would be so funny to witness. there are many contexts where it would be perfectly natural for a guy to use watashi, but yours was not one of those
あっ ちょっと死んじまった