Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Latest Chapter Discussion

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

Comadrin

Comadrin

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 799 posts
  • LocationManetheren, but more realistically Southern California

I think this manga is crying out to have a topic of this title. Does anyone else here really like Hotaru the way I do? I really like real women who like to sit on the porch, have a beer, and watch the sunset. While not a selfless saint (who is?) she works hard for her friends and is an altogether decent sort. I think she is wasted on the clueless goofball of a boyfriend. Getting back together with him would be the worst thing she could do because they might actually propagate, and project his DNA back into the gene pool.

Like others who have posted on the front page, I think that she is far more compatible with the company president. He does bully her somewhat, but he also listens to her, and although he often derides her opinions, he considers her problems and gives her good advice. Makoto El Dweebo couldn't listen to someone if his life depended on it.

It's been a while since I read the whole thing, and my opinions may sound rather harsh, but I really found nothing in him to recommend itself to me. The way he usually acts seems to me to be unbelievably immature, kind of as though the 13 year old mc in Ane Doki was inhabiting a man's body without having grown up, although I am probably doing doing Ochiai Kouta a disservice, as he did care about other people's feelings. When Hotaru is obviously completely upset, having just confessed to misleading him about her roommate, Makoto just clams up and leaves. If that sap can't see what it cost her to tell him that, he should just embark on an ocean of celibate single-blessedness and keep his genes from lowering the standard of the human race.

(Could anyone guess that I wasn't impressed with him?)

Edited by Comadrin, 13 May 2013 - 05:03 AM.

Comadrin

Comadrin

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 799 posts
Oh My God! Makoto El Dweebo just said the ultimate in unforgivable. While knowing that she wasn't having anything romantic with the company president, he says, "I can't forgive and can't accept what you have done, so pack your bags and come to my house, I will trust you one more time." Why doesn't this Momma's boy piece of offal just throw himself in front of a truck and save the world from his spawn? This SOB hasn't grown mentally or emotionally since he was ten years old! As a member of the male gender, I have realized for years that many of my peers haven't grown up since their fraternity days in college or their years of high school sports studliness, but this guy is really unbelievable. He makes me think of a rather vulgar song by Loudon Wainwright III, where it starts, "Rufus was a tit man, suckin' on his mother's gland." Is he going to start going postal on everyone involved next? He has the perfect mentality for it. He reminds me of Nao from "Love So Life," except that Nao is 16 years old and has been raised in an orphanage after being abandoned by his parents. This twiddle-poop is a college graduate, and "successful" career man. Sheesh, is he going to join the Tea Party faction next, and blame his miserable life on multi-culturalism and the lack of a Berlin Wall type fence to keep his love (to whom he won't commit) pure for him alone? GET A LIFE, you miserable excuse for humanity. Better yet, get a demise or an orchidechtomy and retire to a mountain fastness to contemplate the evil of living in society. Just get the hell out of a society that contains real people, most of whom are a hell of a lot more human and empathetic than you could ever be!!!!!

* Query - Can you tell that I don't particularly care for this character? *

Arusiasotto

Arusiasotto

Potato Spud

• Contributor
  • 23 posts
... You seem to be having fun in here. Carry on.

Comadrin

Comadrin

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 799 posts
Well, it would be more fun if we got some kind of discussion going. Just posting my own thoughts makes me feel like some sort of narcissistic facebook moron (Oh look, I just posted a picture of my tee shirt drawer. Isn't it exciting?) I think it's a really good manga, and I love the character of Hotaru. I'm looking forward to continuing this one.

Arusiasotto

Arusiasotto

Potato Spud

• Contributor
  • 23 posts
Well, we're working on translating it all for a long time. And this chapter isn't gonna make you like him any more.

Comadrin

Comadrin

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 799 posts
Arusiasotto, Thanks for the chapter, and you're right. I didn't think that I could like him even less than I did, but I was wrong. I've met some "It's all about me" people in my life, but this guy takes the cake. Any thinking woman who finds herself involved with him should run for her life. The idea of him parenting a child is even more chilling.

Edited by Comadrin, 30 January 2013 - 03:47 PM.

Arusiasotto

Arusiasotto

Potato Spud

• Contributor
  • 23 posts
Carai an Ellisande! Al Ellisande! Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar! Al Ellisande!

Comadrin

Comadrin

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 799 posts
Ah, it is good to know that Eldrene, the Rose of the Sun, is not forgotten in these later days!

By the way; has anyone noticed, anywhere in the manga, Makoto having something even resembling a sense of humor? I am tempted to go back and read the whole thing, because I don't think he does. Im my opinion, that is a true personality killer.

Edited by Comadrin, 31 January 2013 - 12:26 PM.

Arusiasotto

Arusiasotto

Potato Spud

• Contributor
  • 23 posts
Frankly, he comes across as someone with a social disorder. Yet he has friends his age with humor... so he must be the stick in the group.

inzaratha

inzaratha

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 501 posts
  • LocationArizona (or somewhere in the forest riding a unicorn)
I am glad they are done as a couple. Any man who can't take seeing his girlfriend in grubby clothes and no make up and still love her isn't worth having a relationship with. Granted she lied to him about Bunchou and she shouldn't have done the double life thing with him but still - he's just not worth it and she is better off without him. So she knew the minute he saw the real her he would run and she was right, and who wants a partner who you can't be yourself with. I never really liked him as a match to her like AT ALL so I'm actually realived. I think that her and Buncho make a good couple so I am hoping for some progress in that direction now that she is done with that lame guy. And yes I also like Hotaru a lot as a character, she is like a real woman, not a charicature.
I'm so glad this is updating regularly again and thanks so much!!!

Edited by inzaratha, 01 February 2013 - 07:49 AM.

Ivolt

Ivolt

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 1 posts
I've said it before, but I love the logic that no-one likes Makoto despite the fact that Hotaru has never been honest in their relationship, which is sort of the thing that he was realizing throughout the last couple of chapters. I won't say he's completely blameless, but it's hardly all or even mostly his fault. They've been dating for over a year in the manga, he's introduced her to his family, and they were planning on moving in together, but this is the first time he's seen her completely act like herself. THAT'S what through him through a loop.

Arusiasotto

Arusiasotto

Potato Spud

• Contributor
  • 23 posts

Well, I am glad you are loving it! Teshima is just too easy to dislike. Poor guy is kinda getting railroaded into the role sadly. She obviously cared enough to make herself pretty for him for an entire year. It was a lot of effort. But he doesn't see it that way, so his loss. Now to see who the author throws in for our next love rival while she keeps denying the deliciousness that is Buchou.

inzaratha

inzaratha

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 501 posts

So glad that is done with and that she has good friends like the Lord and Bunchou.     How long is she going to take to realize that Bunchou and her are perfect for each other and that she likes his company better.  

Comadrin

Comadrin

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 799 posts

Dunno.  Buchou hasn't really thrown out much hinting that he's interested in her romantically (although that would have been too obvious if he did).  He is obviously interested in her as a person, though, and has concern for her welfare.  I rather like the slow pace of their friendship/relationship, or whatever it is.  It seems to fit in well with both their characters.  I was proud of Hotaru, the way she handled being thrown into the presentation of M's work and how she handled herself in getting over the whole thing, including basically being disowned in public.  Go Forward with your head held high, dried fish of my dreams!

inzaratha

inzaratha

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 501 posts

She held up very well to that guy -  I thought the way he treated her running his show was pretty insensitive or uncaring, I get why he was mad at her, but it just showed they were not made for each other.

Comadrin

Comadrin

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 799 posts

I think "insensitive" is the number one character trait on his life's resume.  In the half century plus of my existence, I have run into a plethora of people self-described or described by their enablers as "extremely sensitive," when, in fact, they are totally insensitive to the feelings of others and morbidly sensitive to anything that affects them.  Just another aspect of selfishness.  It often goes hand in hand with non-powers of observation.  

inzaratha

inzaratha

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 501 posts

This most current chapter was great.  

Spoiler

Comadrin

Comadrin

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 799 posts

Yeah, it was a pretty cute chapter.  I can't wait to see where it goes from here.  

Comadrin

Comadrin

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 799 posts

Great new chapter:  Bouchou at his "caring/insensitive" best.  Why is it that when he seems to act like a jerk, she ends up benefiting from it?  Aside from being something of a curmudgeon, he's pretty perceptive about what is best for her.  He just goes about it in a rather unique way.  I think the two of them are perfect foils for each other.  For myself, sitting with her on the back porch and enjoying a can of beer sounds like a pretty pleasant way to waste time.  A hell of a lot better (and more thrifty) than forever meeting for a cocktail date.  Thank Heaven the immature bozo-boy is out of her life.

inzaratha

inzaratha

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 501 posts

yeah, I sort of wish he would not play that part, when he really does care about her but tries to not be overt about it.   Well, he might feel he is too old for her or something so maybe he is purposefully trying to be that way.