Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Girls und Panzer Discussion

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

5Cats

5Cats

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 47 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
Girls & Panzer is very cute and very silly! Also highly innacurate! Still, I like it a lot.

Does the fun outweigh the folly? Discuss!

What are the "rules" in Panzerkraft? Discuss!

Should tanks only be grouped by time? weight? Or is it "wide-open" for each school? I like that different nation's tanks are mixed, that's good! But mixing 1945 models with 1938 ones? Not so good.

Discuss away!

Spoilers are expected, but what's wrong with that? It's not like G&P has a "plot" or something! lolz!

Edited by 5Cats, 18 September 2012 - 09:34 PM.

rockgollem

rockgollem

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 43 posts
Well, I mean it's interesting enough. I just go on rants about inaccuracy and whatnot because it's my pet peeve and I somehow think I am turning into Lewis Black wannabe here.

I like it. Much better than other manga with similar subject and tanks (I don't remember the title now though), but that one had some more realism (the tank actually had holes from penetration and it caught on fire), however, it was almost just as inaccurate.

In any case, I do like it.

As per rules, it's technically a "sport" in that universe, right? I think there should be some sort of limitation like most martial arts sports (like how boxing has weight class and so forth) but so far it hasn't shown much.

What do I think the classifciation limitation should be about? Gun calibre/penetration more than anything is my opinion.

5Cats

5Cats

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 47 posts
http://vatoto.com/comic/_/comics/sailor-fuku-to-juusensha-r6474

That one?

Gun calibre: Hummm, the guns generally got bigger as WW2 progressed. Germany & Russia developed some wickedly effective guns to use against tanks. England developed the 17-pounder (Canada too!) but the rest of the world stayed pretty static. Japan, Italy, even the USA's guns were pretty basic (the "short 75mm").

Then there's things like HEAT and HEAP which gave lower-velocity guns more "pow!" against armour.

I'm liking the smaller tanks with smaller guns in the story, there were a lot of them used by all nations, often in large numbers! More variety = more fun!

rockgollem

rockgollem

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 43 posts
Well, I say gun calibre/penetration power because as time progressed, they were fitting bigger and better guns onto tanks. But not just bigger and better guns, but installing them on bigger and heavier tanks as well. (Also some older tanks seeing improvements)

If you want to know about why those nations wasn't as concerned, unlike other nations, with developing guns with better armour penetration capability, it's a completely different and lenghty issue that would better be adressed seperately.

As calibres increased, generally speaking, we see a correlating increase in armour thickess and/or design. So this would allow for very rough outline of what "class" of tanks somebody would bring into the field. (Like how Pz 4 (late war) and M4 both uses 7.5 cm gun, as well similar armour value with Pz 4 around 80mm with little to no sloping and Sherman with 51mm with good sloping. They also are similar class of weights, etc.)

So we don't have to see tiny little tank with almost no armor plinking away with 37 mm gun at a heavy tank with 8.8 or 10.5 cm gun.

I also do agree more variety is more fun.

And yes, that's the manga I was talking about.

Alexandre Charron-trudel

Alexandre Charron-trudel

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 28 posts
just read chapters five and six, as scanned by AK on their site; there are NOTABLE differences between the manga and the anime with regards to the first battle against the british team onwards;

first: while the lee is the first to get knocked out, the Type 89 scores a successful kill against a matilda by shooting its side armor from a hiding spot in the garage (As opposed to the lift version, where it just detonates a fuel tank)

second: the order to move into the city (which is part of the battlefield) is made explicit due to full knowledge that their tanks are inferior to the british vehicles.

third: no tank hypermaneuverablity: while Ooorai's panzer IV takes out two of the three tanks, one of them is immobilized via destruction of the tracks and the other is killed via a hit to the side of the turret, as is consistent with the Panzer IV Ausf D's capabilities. The bum rush at the Churchill (which ends the same way as the anime) is very clearly an option of last resort rather than a valid tactic.

fourth: the battle against Saunders is barely mentioned at all in chapter six, other than a page showing the flag sheman being taken out via a hit to the turret above the gun mantle; chapter six focuses primarily on the much needed (and this is explicitly recognized) overhaul of equipment due to obsolesence as demonstrated in the battle against Saunders; the Panzer IV is upgraded from its Ausf D. configuration to the Ausf G. configuration, complete with its L44 75mm, and the search for new tanks resumes, which turns up (as of the end of chapter six) a French Char B1 Bis, the monster-whale of a breakthrough tank that the Germans struggled to defeat upon their initial invasion of france in 1940; records document that it sometimes faced 12:1 odds and survived, despite the distinct disadvantages that the lack of radios and the one-man turret provided; for its time, it was so good that:

In direct meetings with German tanks the Char B1 usually had the better of it, sometimes spectacularly so as when on 16 May a single tank, Eure (commanded by Captain Pierre Billotte), frontally attacked and destroyed thirteen German tanks lying in ambush in Stonne, all of them Panzer IIIs and Panzer IVs, in the course of a few minutes.[2] The tank safely returned despite being hit 140 times. (see: wikipedia)

this will be especially relevant against the upcoming match with Anzio (italian tanks were, for the most part, light and cavalry tanks that earned infamy as horrific deathtraps); the B1 could probably defeat them all by itself.

5Cats

5Cats

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 47 posts
So, chapters 5 & 6 of the manga are available to download (I couldn't get them to work though, am trying again) BUT they're not posted here yet?
Oy!

rockgollem

rockgollem

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 43 posts
The manga isn't much better in term of consistency or reality than anime.

It does go into things that anime doesn't, so it's a mixed blessing as well, I guess.

5Cats

5Cats

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 47 posts
I noticed the Anime focused on the battle with Sanders (Saunders? Too lazy to lookitup) and skipped over Anzio, while the Manga skips over Sanders and (in issue 7) focus on Anzio.

Which makes sense! Be pretty boring if one was a verbatum retelling of the other, eh?

Baseball will start before we get to finish season 1, Blue Jays! Woot!