Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Count to 100 before the Staff and Company post

• Please log in to reply
33863 replies to this topic

PItiful Boar

PItiful Boar

Soppy Potato

• Members
  • 198 posts

60 they have to dig near the sidewalk so they merge two lines into one, probably for digging network cables

the two lane was probably one lane

you've driven on the 280 before? how the lanes seem so claustrophobic? or parked at walmart parking lot, where they prob rezoned the parking spaces 

pokari

pokari

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 69 posts

Natural consequence of unplanned cities in an automobile-driven society. A lot of the roads was big enough when they built them. They were big enough when people bought the land adjacent to them. They are not big enough now.

And the problem of all the traffic that needs to go through not-enough streets would be even worse if we didn't have Apple and Google's spyware doing load-balancing now!

PItiful Boar

PItiful Boar

Soppy Potato

• Members
  • 198 posts

62 does the smallest irritations of life seem to blow up and get to you? Like not finding the right flights online... and if you do what if the flights get cancelled and you miss a transit leg? I'm beginning to see why people have panick attacks

Rainingforest

Rainingforest

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • LocationNorth America

Beep boop...

It's been so long...

Same Feishy. My temper has been shorter than normal lately. I don't have as much social energy. Feels like it's all used up just talking with coworkers these days. I don't really want to catch up with friends or go out. Just want to go home and sleep.

I think it's because I'm super stressed. I'm trying to jump out of my job into another entirely different career. I don't want to be a doctor anymore... or do research for hospitals... I want to just make money :(

Also looking at the news. It's all about super depressing shit. That's how you get clicks I guess. I've uninstalled facebook and instagram because of it.

63 oops... forgot number

PItiful Boar

PItiful Boar

Soppy Potato

• Members
  • 198 posts

Alienation of labor, typical resentment, is why marxism to this day still has traction

The good life as Ricoeur defines it, working for a good cause, with a like-minded folks, for others, within just institutions. 

In the earliest stages of human development, one can work with others in the clan, hunting/gathering. Material reward and spiritual reward are accomplished with every successful outing. Unfortunately that was too primitive of a stage. Humanity has advanced since then, and material and spiritual reward have parted ways. But, is possible that we have to reconstitute society to bring them back together again. That would be noble and worthy goal. 64 

Edited by Feishy Pit Boar, 22 November 2022 - 07:06 PM.

pokari

pokari

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 69 posts

Or we could just aim to have the robots make everything and have humans live in a largely post-needs society. And leave everyone to their own fulfillment rather than try to coerce things into a model where we're fighting between the opposing goals of human productivity being maximally fulfilling and maximally productive.

Rainingforest

Rainingforest

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • LocationNorth America

66 That's the dream. Robots. Buuuut idk if that'll happen soon... I think we have the tech, just not the mindset to do so on a large basis.

PItiful Boar

PItiful Boar

Soppy Potato

• Members
  • 198 posts

67 oh i'm talking about converting savage primates into robots, would solve a lot of problems... lack of existential angst for one

pokari

pokari

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 69 posts

66 That's the dream. Robots. Buuuut idk if that'll happen soon... I think we have the tech, just not the mindset to do so on a large basis.

Eh... From my experience with dancing around the outer edges of the robotics world a bit professionally (by dint of AR and VR work), we're not quite there yet—and it's not for lack of interest, the money is there—but we will be more and more slowly and progressively as time goes on.

Bigger problem seems instead to me like it's going to be that our current trajectory is "they who own the robots own the entire economy", which could get awkward.

PItiful Boar

PItiful Boar

Soppy Potato

• Members
  • 198 posts

69 An early happy winter solstice days to all

The only thing I want for Christmas is a cyborg upgrade. Once working class slaves once turned into cyborgs they will no longer ask for wage raises (why would you) and they can live off solar (or maybe a built-in nuclear thermo generator).

Most importantly they would not worry about things like rent or paycheck and they can just lie in the sun the whole day (to charge their battery) and run SETI signal processing ... then maybe send a mocking signal to the life form back "You should be cyborg like us WHUSS"

Why is doing the right thing so hard sigh...

Edited by Feishy Pit Boar, 12 December 2022 - 10:40 PM.

pokari

pokari

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 69 posts
Well, lots of right-things-to-do are easy! And lots of bad-to-do things are hard, too. It's just we tend to notice when the bad things are easy, and the good ones hard. Because that's when things are difficult.

Happy solsticiness to ye too, my fellow cyborg-aspirant! ;'3

Rainingforest

Rainingforest

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • LocationNorth America

71 I appreciate Christmas for being a federal holiday and an excuse to take time off.

Happy holidays!

pokari

pokari

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 69 posts

Debating whether, if I end up needing a new computer case, I should make my own as a sort of DIY art project.

Rainingforest

Rainingforest

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • LocationNorth America

I'd say go for it as long as it doesn't block the air flow. Most computer cases these days though are lots of mesh....

PItiful Boar

PItiful Boar

Soppy Potato

• Members
  • 198 posts

74 go for it!

I have always wanted to try out my wood working skills to build something kewl but unfortunately i have too many computer cases (some had to be thrown away...)

also i have way tooooo many laptops/desktops already - i have 3 laptops (1 low-end, 1 mid, 1 relatively high (or was, 2-3 years ago))

3 PCs  - 1 low-end running a bittorent ubuntu VM/pf-sense router, 1 for gaming, 1 for office use....

pokari

pokari

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 69 posts

For better or for worse, the thing that was giving me the primary potential motivation to do so has now been hacked around. A new graphics card wasn't going to fit, and if I was going to put in all the work of transferring stuf to a new case, I wanted it to maybe be the case, the one and only me case, a unique (and preferably reconfigurable and extensible) piece of art to house it forevermore...

...but now I've realised that PCIE extension cables were a thing and so now I shall have an abomination of a setup where my GPU is just sort of hanging out on the desk outside my case.

For the record, it's okay, this will be fun too. I'm going for maximum jank now: Instead of a $1600 top-of-the-line GPU that's never in stock, I've also opted for an eight-year-old industrial card, used, for $200.

This means I'm getting a card with
A) no video-out (which is fine, it can be worked around)
B​) no pcie bracketing to hook into the case, but instead some random supercomputer server mounting bracket (which, hah! I'm not even putting it in the PC, I'm putting it on the desk next to it! Who cares!), and
C) most excitingly, no fans, and the expectation that I'm supposed to be blowing air through it from one end to the other out of my pressurised supercomputing server box or something! Which isn't going to happen, obviously; instead in the meantime it's likely to end up with something like a jury-rigged funnel connecting it to a desk-fan, made of saran-wrap.

I am looking forward to this monstrosity almost more than whatever art project I was going to do!

:'p

Edited by pokari, 24 December 2022 - 04:11 PM.

pokari

pokari

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 69 posts
It works! Barely!

Interestingly its takes power from a CPU power cable, not PCIE. Luckily my PSU had an extra! (I had to shave bits off of the securing clip to fit it into the tight slot)

Also I had to update my BIOS. Weeeeird RAM/VRAM transfer settings, I think... But! At least I *have* a mobo that can support it.

Though after the BIOS update my computer is BSOD-ing every time it restarts, probably because I broke some of the UEFI settings in the update.

And I haven't figured out how (if possible) to have drivers for both cards installed and running at once.

And perhaps in part as a byproduct of that, I can't run games now. Only the industrial card is functioning and for whatever reason even the most basic opengl or directx stuff seems to just say, "uh, nope". (That's not fundamental to the card, it should totally do graphics stuff)

But all I really wanted to do was run neural networks, and CUDA works just fine, so eh! Good enough for now! Worrying about getting things back to a sane state is for tomorrow me :'p

(Also the desk fan + saran wrap + rubber-band cooling solution is working for now. Maximum jank for the win. Xp)

76!

Merry Christmas everyone! (Or not, if Christmas isn't your thing. However you like! :'D)

PItiful Boar

PItiful Boar

Soppy Potato

• Members
  • 198 posts

i'm simply in awe of this frankeinstein monster creation that you've built. Imagine when summer comes ... you'll need more than a desk fan! Still, very impressed. 

while Christmas is not my thing i still want to wish people well... although the times are anything but 

PItiful Boar

PItiful Boar

Soppy Potato

• Members
  • 198 posts

can you teach an AI program to play simple games? like, guess a 5 letter random word  in 5 tries discord game ?  while there are websites that can list the possible word combinations it seems better to have a bot do it

77 and 78 sorry forgot to count 

pokari

pokari

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 69 posts
I have internet again! It only took six days! (Christmas to new years turns out not to be the fastest time to get AT&T to go fix the break up on the poles x.x )

can you teach an AI program to play simple games? like, guess a 5 letter random word  in 5 tries discord game ?  while there are websites that can list the possible word combinations it seems better to have a bot do it
77 and 78 sorry forgot to count

Yes, definitely, although which sort of program and what sort of AI and how well it will do would depend on the exact game!

But I hesitate to ask... Why have an AI play a game for you? XD Does that not defeat the point of a game? (Unless the game is to get the AI to beat the game, of course!)