Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Count to 100 before the Staff and Company post

• Please log in to reply
33862 replies to this topic

PItiful Boar

PItiful Boar

Soppy Potato

• Members
  • 198 posts

part of me wants to write a discord bot

i saw the patreon maker of mudae game bot getting like 9k a month ... seems like it's a 1 person show

pokari

pokari

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 69 posts
I hope.you enjoyed it XD

I watched the hollywood version of Ghost in the Shell today. It was almost precisely what I expected going in: Vapid, slightly awkward, and drop-dead gorgeous.

Honestly really fun if you're not expecting anything of real substance going in.

Sure, there was only like one scene with any real emotional depth. Sure, the halfway-whitewashed cast is weird. But the cyberpunk eye candy! An entire movie of it. Simply magnificent.

PItiful Boar

PItiful Boar

Soppy Potato

• Members
  • 198 posts

14 ... even the original work was not really deep emotionally... it was just kinda cool to see what a futurist society would look like

pokari

pokari

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 69 posts

I mean this one kind of fell short on a lot of the "this is what the future could be like" stuff too.

Or rather, there was a lot of stuff where you could tell they were thinking about it, but ten they don't share all their thoughts with the class, or they just completely fail at being as provocative and thought-inspiring about it as the original Ghost in the Shell stuff (well, I say "original"; I haven't read the manga itself, but...)

There's just no big, central "what if" questions, beyond maybe a bit of contemplation of the psychological issues of being a cyborg.

PItiful Boar

PItiful Boar

Soppy Potato

• Members
  • 198 posts

16 i remember there was a big controversy of using sacrlet johanson to be the major, instead of a japanese actress 

could sort of understand why

in otehr news im progressing through attack on titan (finally)  S3 > S2 > S1

pokari

pokari

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 69 posts

The half-whitewashed state of the movie is honestly fascinating. The cast is sort of two-thirds white and one-third Japanese. The Major and Batou are white, Togusa is Japanese, the section cheif weirdly but kind of awesomely is not only Japanese but only speaks in Japanese and everyone else just goes on in English and everyone understands each other, no comments made. That part worked surprisingly well in a cyberpunk cosmopolitan setting, I thought.

The creators' argument that it doesn't matter that the main role is Japanese yet white "because she has an artificial body anyway" and, as it turns out, some brainwashing, makes coherent sense—but, doesn't exactly excuse the fundamental reason for whitewashing the role (presumably, that they needed superstar draw and superstars are white).

So yeah. At the end of the day what it felt like is compromises were made with the perceived need to have star draw for a big budget film, but that the movie creators were trying to be reasonably faithful and made by people who were proper weebish fans of GitS themselves... Something-something-compromises-means-everyone-loses.

PItiful Boar

PItiful Boar

Soppy Potato

• Members
  • 198 posts

18 when they finally make artificial cyborgs available have you considered what model/make you would want? do you prefer to speak in english or japanese?

pokari

pokari

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 69 posts
Puh-lease. What is the point of being a cyborg if you can't switch things up? Interchangeable parts, my man! Switch out those English and Japanese vocal cords! Sound like the Terminator one minute and a knockoff Hatsune Miku the next!

Weirdly if I think of body modifications I'd want (within the normal realm of expected body stuff, I mean—not chrome skin, laser eyes, or magnet feet, or whatever) the first thing that comes to mind is it'd be nice to have the option to be a bit smaller and shorter.

It is interesting to think about a world where appearance is something selected, like character-creation in a game. Would change up (not eliminate, but definitely change the terms of) a lot of unfairness people get for how they look. Not sure what else it would do for our mental well-being, of course.

PItiful Boar

PItiful Boar

Soppy Potato

• Members
  • 198 posts

u want a terminator body but sound like Miku ....

Rainingforest

Rainingforest

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • LocationNorth America
21 wow, that was a lot to catch up on. Excited about the live adaptation of cowboy bebop. I'll try out the live action ghost in the shell for the animation. In the past I just thought it was too dumb to waste my time watching it.

pokari

pokari

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 69 posts
Basically the Ghost in the Shell live action movie is—on its own merits, ignoring the context—rather than being completely unwatchable as it is said to be, instead rather moreso at the level of an enjoyable but mostly-forgettable summer movie.

But it's very pretty while it does it. Less the animation (though some of that's nice too), more things like framing, lighting, scene-dressings, etc, all in a very cyberpunk mode.

I have some tepid hope for Cowboy Bebop. It always seemed like it would be one of the easier things to do a good adaptation of—the while thing is deliberately seeped in western cultural kitsch (but like... classy, self-aware kitsch?), some of which, heck, probably made more sense to the west than Japan in the first place. Or, say, the characters usually act like Hollywood protagonists, not anime protagonists.

But given the history of this sort of thing, I'm not going to get my hooes up too much ~w~ Just because it should be easier doesn't mean it will go well (though that they've proven they can be faithful to the aesthetic is, still, a lovely start).

PItiful Boar

PItiful Boar

Soppy Potato

• Members
  • 198 posts

cowboy bebop should not be live adopted. it was the perfect anime. look at what happened to death note smh

pokari

pokari

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 69 posts

To be clear, I broadly share the general sentiment that [whatever anime] should not be live-adapted, given the horrors already inflicted upon the world from previous such attempts.

The previous comment is with regards to the possibility that the adaptation might not be horrible, or even could theoretically be even decent—not whether it should have been made in the first place.

Rainingforest

Rainingforest

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • LocationNorth America

25 I agree. Cowboy bebop should not have been made. But now that it is in production, I saw the trailer. It looks good. The CG is excellent and the producers are paying attention to the source material.

pokari

pokari

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 69 posts

Looking at the IMDB cast, I do see one apparent crucial omission from the cast: There is, seemingly, no Ed.

I don't know how to feel about this. Ed is of course the hardest of them to adapt and the one they'd be most likely to mess up—should I just be happy they didn't?

Ed's my favourite character though... and the rhythm of the series wouldn't be the same without those off-beat, "what's this adorable insane kid doing here" moments. But having an actor pull off that dame wacky-lovable-embodiment-of-chaos shtick would be, again, quite a challenge... :/

...and probably end in disaster. I guess it's for the best. *sigh*

penrosecat

penrosecat

Playa Potato

• Members
  • 3 posts

17 Nice! Are you graduating penrose? Man, time flies.

still around a year. time does fly. i used to be worried about getting in now i cant wait to get out. but i think my troubles back then were more. now i have the ability to say fuck it to things i dont want to do (for the most part). 

(Though more soberly I do hope it's actually somewhere worth returning. Not, say, some place that chews people out and spits them back out. That would be bad.)

yeah i liked the people more than i thought. honestly throughout the thing i wondered if the other part of my academic life was a lie. people coordinating normally and working in a healthy way???!!?? in this life?? once i got used to the good atmosphere i realized that was what was normal in general. i like working. weekends off is such an amazing thing. as a student you are never techically "off" work.

ya thanks i wish i could go back time and focus just on learning instead of all these distractions that comes w/ life

distractions are super real. every other day i see posts of people who lost family members due to covid right when they were supposed to be applying for jobs/internships. administrations are weirdly strict about cracking down on making people attend online classes though. the whole comfort level of it depends on your privilege. i don't want to go back in person at all, but thats just because i can do everything better at home. half the people rely on the resources on campus to navigate everything. 

Indeed—Where's all this time-travel-returner/reincarnation/isekai stuff when we need it? Eh?! D:<

i read so many otome isekai now. i'm a regular on the reddit as well. 

about studying something: i started studying some things i was really irritated by a year or two ago. you should start immediately when there is some part of your mind actively pushing you towards it. like you start wondering what if i could do xxx on your day off. thats your cue to start. doesnt mean you have to go back to school. but this kind of learning on your own time can be quite addictive. after all solving problems makes life interesting. just make sure you are interested in the problem first.

(still replying)

also will never drive a fancy car in my life

i dont think fancy things mean much. apart from being able to afford enough of functional things as and when you need them, luxury items are largely a waste

part of me wants to write a discord bot

since groovy and other music bots died i setup redbot on my server (just me and 1 other friend) 

not at all equivalent to writing a bot but it was the first time i actually hacked something of personal use using my cs knowledge. 

To be clear, I broadly share the general sentiment that [whatever anime] should not be live-adapted, given the horrors already inflicted upon the world from previous such attempts.

i agree, most content shouldn't be live adapted. it always turns out cringey somehow. the one exception would probably be k-dramas since clearly that is what the audience wants with those stories. and probably those overdramatic manhuas where every cheating, sex, pregnancy, etc. is blown up as much as possible

18 when they finally make artificial cyborgs available have you considered what model/make you would want? do you prefer to speak in english or japanese?

i dont really want it speaking. if they use current language generation tools they will have horrible biases and say veryyyy strange things at times which will be uncanny valley af.

instead, lets all lobby for fumos being available to everyone. (i'm really into that now)

surprising how fun it is to just look at pictures of them (and play the roblox game without ever playing touhou)

It is interesting to think about a world where appearance is something selected, like character-creation in a game. Would change up (not eliminate, but definitely change the terms of) a lot of unfairness people get for how they look. Not sure what else it would do for our mental well-being, of course.

i imagine they would have a selection of template faces for men, the cold duke of the north (black hair), the warm and sunny crown prince (blond), the icy glasses magician (brown hair) etc. (it is rare to see men outside of these classes in otome isekai) 

if all the cyborgs were templates, people would soon stop thinking of them as special by getting used to their faces fast. then they would just kind of be there.

Edited by penrosecat, 01 October 2021 - 09:31 PM.

PItiful Boar

PItiful Boar

Soppy Potato

• Members
  • 198 posts

Penrose: Just one more year... time does fly... I remember the last two years of college for me were the most difficult. I wish you the best of luck.

I am rather surprised to hear that Covid is still a thing ... hasn't the delta variant pass over. Look ilke 20K+ cases a day, not small, but compare to the US at around 100K new cases a day... 

Are you studying remote? In class? Are you still working at your company part-time (or full-time?)? I pity you guys... lost 2 years of studying. Easy to lose motivation if you're not in a classroom looking at people. Some people are focused enough to do it, but most aren't.

It's not that I don't want to drive a fancy luxury car. I am a pretty bad driver, and I ride roughshod over curbs like no tomorrow. And the car has the scars to prove it. I'd feel less bad if I drive an average car. Although these days I don't drive much any more. I almost want to take public transportation to just see people.

Anywho, it's good that you checked it. Stay in touch.

pokari

pokari

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 69 posts
Penrowo~

*hugs* >w<

yeah i liked the people more than i thought. honestly throughout the thing i wondered if the other part of my academic life was a lie. people coordinating normally and working in a healthy way???!!?? in this life?? once i got used to the good atmosphere i realized that was what was normal in general. i like working. weekends off is such an amazing thing. as a student you are never techically "off" work.

I am so relieved to hear this. (I know a lot of the more competitive schools here have some of their supposedly "desirable" employers that graduates often go to, be well-paying but have famously-toxic work-environments).

I very much did not want you to end up in any such place.

distractions are super real. every other day i see posts of people who lost family members due to covid right when they were supposed to be applying for jobs/internships. administrations are weirdly strict about cracking down on making people attend online classes though. the whole comfort level of it depends on your privilege. i don't want to go back in person at all, but thats just because i can do everything better at home. half the people rely on the resources on campus to navigate everything. 

*hugs*

I am glad that you, at least, are doing okay (at least, in light of the alternatives).

It's weird to realise that I'm pretty much just used to the semi-isolated life now and the comings-and-goings of relative safety or danger (I mean we're on the declining end of wave 3 here locally), the periodic moments of fear where one still worries about this or that, the constant weighing of decisions on how much risk is acceptable, and the most-of-the-time chilling-at-home-ness in general.

But, I don't have to play the "when are they going to summon me back to school/work" game. For which I am grateful. Because all the versions of that I've heard of are awful.

[To be continued] gotta sleep now *extra hugs*

pokari

pokari

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 69 posts

i read so many otome isekai now. i'm a regular on the reddit as well.

I have read so many of them now (including the sister genres: The shoujo romance-novel isekai, the tragic protagonist who has time rewound or reincarnates in their own world, the annulled-engagement heroine, and so forth, including the innumerable Korean cousins—such as the unexpected marriage of convenience with the handsome duke, being reincarnated as the daughter of the handsome duke, or having time turned back after getting executed upon orders of the handsome duke...) that I'm running out of new ones to read! XD

On the other hand it's taken me at least a couple years to start to run out of new ones to read; I'm already quite happy. Shoujo-fantasy was always one of my favourites, and I didn't think I'd get to ever devour it in such quantity as I have for the past few years! :'3

i dont really want it speaking. if they use current language generation tools they will have horrible biases and say veryyyy strange things at times which will be uncanny valley af.

[...]

i imagine they would have a selection of template faces for men, the cold duke of the north (black hair), the warm and sunny crown prince (blond), the icy glasses magician (brown hair) etc. (it is rare to see men outside of these classes in otome isekai) 

if all the cyborgs were templates, people would soon stop thinking of them as special by getting used to their faces fast. then they would just kind of be there.

To clarify, I was talking about us becoming half-machine-half-man cyborgs—not about AI-run robots! Very different considerations.

PItiful Boar

PItiful Boar

Soppy Potato

• Members
  • 198 posts

30 so i put the last two hentai/xxx sites on the router's black list that i was hesitant to put on there before... but the buck stops now! no nut november a month early here I come!

good bye michelle can, sherri vi, you've been great... will always miss u, but it's time i need to focus on things that matter....

like... umm....