Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Count to 100 before the Staff and Company post

• Please log in to reply
33828 replies to this topic

You

You

Savage Potato

• Members
  • 3,262 posts

tumblr_static_tumblr_static_9e1zrqkbvu8s

pokari

pokari

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 69 posts
28 uwu

PItiful Boar

PItiful Boar

Soppy Potato

• Members
  • 198 posts

29 So what's new

PItiful Boar

PItiful Boar

Soppy Potato

• Members
  • 198 posts

30 I hate it when people say they have girl friends... I feel like I'm missing out on a chance to extend my DNA

pokari

pokari

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 69 posts
30 31, must be ninja week uwu

The latest news from this little corner of the world is a little on the morbid side—my elder sister put her cat down yesterday and is coming over to our place sometime today to bury it (in violation of some ordinances I think, but everyone ignores those I believe. Certainly, the cat we had when we were kids, and all my other sister's pets that is, the pets of my other sister, rather than the other pets of my eldest sister who has—had—the cat, are buried around in the yards somewhere).

30 I hate it when people say they have girl friends... I feel like I'm missing out on a chance to extend my DNA

Not sure how to take this post. All having girl friends means to you is a chance to procreate?

I have a few girl friends, that is girl-space-friends, and I certainly don't think of them that way—if I did I don't think we'd have ever been friends.

Look if all you want is a chance to spread your DNA around, become a sperm donor. :/

Edited by pokari, 23 August 2019 - 06:19 PM.

PItiful Boar

PItiful Boar

Soppy Potato

• Members
  • 198 posts

32 pet semetary the sequel

on the morbid side, my friend (who dropped dead from cardiac arrest) will be having a one year memorial gathering - I'm in charge of bringing water. 100 bottles worth. People better drink the very last drop. Imagine carting off all those water to the back trunk of the car (and passenger seats)

pokari

pokari

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 69 posts

Let's see... A standard water bottle is half a liter, so 1/2 Kg or 500 grams. So 50 Kg of water... Google says that's 110.231 pounds. Though I punched a number wrong the firsy time and hcame out with half a ton and was like, "holy shit!"—but no.

A lot of them come in easy-ish-to-carry crates of about 20, so as long as they don't have too be carried to far it shouldn't be too bad. If it does have to be carried a good ways, enlist help; carrying that much too long would be bad for your back. :/

pokari

pokari

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 69 posts

We buried the cat in the yard.

Digging a hole a smidge over two feet down, big enough for a cat, is quite a lot of work. Mom softened the ground a bit by running some water earlier in the morning, but it still started to get quite hard after the first two-thirds of a foot, it was looking a bit like it was going to take all day until someone brought out the pickaxe. Still took most of the afternoon. Two-thirds of the way down the dirt is mixed up with a lot of large pebbles which makes things a little slower, near the end it also got harder to shovel dirt out because the hole wasn't that big and you don't have much leverage at such a steep angle. But with four adults taking turns it got done. It's in a shady spot in the corner of the yard, near where our childhood cat was buried, at the edge under the ivy.

My sister cried a lot, as she loved her cat quite dearly.

PItiful Boar

PItiful Boar

Soppy Potato

• Members
  • 198 posts

35 good exercise workout 

we humans are meant to get exercises this way, instead of simulated exercises like treadmills and stationary bikes

also death of pets is one of the reason I don't like having them

I suppose I can get turtles, which done right, outlive humans

Edited by Feishy Pit Boar, 24 August 2019 - 10:34 PM.

pokari

pokari

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 69 posts

Also parrots. They don't go much above our lifespan like tortoises do, but some of them will match us handily.

Some sharks in the wild reach centuries of age if you're into bond-villian pets uwu

Some of the parrots are interesting because they have the vocal chords and the smarts to almost be able to talk with us just a tiny bit.

Edited by pokari, 25 August 2019 - 05:53 AM.

PItiful Boar

PItiful Boar

Soppy Potato

• Members
  • 198 posts

37 So I went to my friend's one year memorial anniversary (happy death day!), the college roommate who died from asthma-induced cardiac arrest :/ 

And I'm glad to see people who are alive still... which was good ... life's short, "be happy don't worry"

penrosecat

penrosecat

Playa Potato

• Members
  • 3 posts

in the spirit of being happy and not worrying, i raised the height of my bike seat

my knees hurt less now

considerable happiness

pokari

pokari

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 69 posts

37 So I went to my friend's one year memorial anniversary (happy death day!), the college roommate who died from asthma-induced cardiac arrest :/ 
And I'm glad to see people who are alive still... which was good ... life's short, "be happy don't worry"

I am glad that the mood of the day was not pure maudlin, at least. The point of memorials and remembrances are to help people, after all.

*hugs*

in the spirit of being happy and not worrying, i raised the height of my bike seat

my knees hurt less now

considerable happiness

This sounds like healthy thinking u.u

PItiful Boar

PItiful Boar

Soppy Potato

• Members
  • 198 posts

39 from https://www.cnbc.com/2019/08/21/whole-foods-ceo-john-mackey-plant-based-meat-not-good-for-your-health.html?utm_source=pocket-newtab

Mackey’s daily routine

At 5 a.m., Mackey wakes up and does his spiritual practices for about 30 minutes to an hour. That includes meditation, reading an array of spiritual literature and daily affirmations (short, powerful statements designed to manifest a specific goal).

“Affirmations give me a clear and intentional path of what I’d like to see happen for myself and the people that I love every day,” Mackey says.

At 6 a.m. Mackey either has one of two breakfasts: a smoothie or steel cuts oats (the oats are usually for when he’s on the road). Mackey says his smoothies typically consists of seasonally fresh fruits, almond milk, raw cacao, flax seeds or walnuts for omega-3 fatty acids and either kale, spinach or collard greens.

After breakfast, Mackey exercises by going on a short walk followed by some yoga.

Mackey heads into Whole Foods’ corporate headquarters in Austin, Texas between 7:30 a.m. and 8 a.m.

Mackey says he eats lunch early, at about 11 a.m., to beat the crowds at the Whole Foods’ buffet line, which is connected to its corporate offices. There, Mackey makes himself a “big salad” with a bunch of different chopped vegetables and uses a dressing that he makes at home and keeps stored in a refrigerator at work.

After work, Mackey heads home at about 7 p.m. to make dinner with his wife, Deborah.

“We’ll chop up a bunch of different veggies and throw it in the steamer,” he says, “And then we’ll have some kind of lentil or beans with it and a nut sauce.”

Mackey puts down his phone for the night at 9 p.m. and sets it to “do not disturb”; he does not answer work emails and texts until 7 the next morning. All his employees know that he is unreachable for those 10 hours.

“People know not to email me,” he says. “My wife [is the only one who] can get through to me. She’s got the code.”

Mackey reads for bit and then heads to bed at 10 p.m.

my knees hurt less now

considerable happiness

my foot has been hurting so I just swim instead of biking / jogging

pokari

pokari

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 69 posts
Swimming is fun ~w~

That entire article reads like an ad for Whole Foods so, I guess, if nothing else, he does his job well as far as brand evangelism is concerned.

His vendetta against "processed foods" in the extended article seemed wonky until they got to the "you should eat whole foods instead" name drop. (That's not to say that processed foods have no problems, but he was treating it like an absolute religious truth instead of getting down and talking about which processing causes what problems—but no, apparently if it's touched a machine it's tainted now or something.)

PItiful Boar

PItiful Boar

Soppy Potato

• Members
  • 198 posts

41 do you think the whole beyond meat / plant-based meat fad is overrated?

pokari

pokari

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 69 posts

The thing that amuses me most about the development, honestly, is I wouldn't even know that they were a little more popular lately if not for the news-of-the-weird-ish stuff about meat manufacturers lobbying the FDA to get meat-related words banned from fake meat packaging. It seems very Streisand-Effect-y from where I stand :'p

Honestly, living in this valley and recently hearing some fast food restaurants were adding veggie burgers to the menu—my reaction was something like, "wait, that didn't already happen like a decade ago? Oh, I guess it was just all the local joints." To be real, I haven't noticed anything different except for the bews coverage.

Mind, I generally don't eat fake veggie meat. It doesn't taste as good. If it tasted better than meat, I would eat it more? But it doesn't. So when I want meat, I'll eat meat. End of story.

As fads go it seems relatively harmless, except if people go full "meatless" by just switching out all the meat in their diet with fake meat—we're not designed to be vegan biologically so if you're not careful you'll get malnutrition. But Americans famously eat way more meat than we need to; if someone switches out "most" of their meat for fake meat it's probably fine. Is that what people do? I don't know. Come to think of it, maybe most people doing this are going the "I'm a vegan now" route, in which case I feel like we're going to have to start mandating dietary supplements in fake meat to keep people from accidentally starving themselves of key nutrients or something.

But like, the flip-side is I think the "opposition" to fake meats—some people seem to take it as a personal insult or something, like they're going to be forced to eat only sad fake meat in the future (hah! Our democracies would probably have to collapse first. We're omnivores and at the end of the day bacon is just too good. Americans would sooner let go of their guns!)—seems even more ludicrously overblown.

I guess the short of it is, I'm pretty neutral about it actually. So long as people are responsible about their own nutrition (and if they aren't they only are hurting themselves), it's a nice thing to have for moral or religious vegans who miss/want meat. And if you're altruistic enough to replace some of your meat with fake meat because you're concerned about the environmental impacts—all the more power to you.

penrosecat

penrosecat

Playa Potato

• Members
  • 3 posts

oh man, i actually figured out last month that my seat wasn't high enough (when i raised it in #38) 

and then i raised it higher and now its kinda difficult to get on, but riding is easy

but then i lost my keys for a while and just walked for a couple of weeks and now i have a new lock with new keys

i also decided to get a new code lock for my room, i feel like i will lock my room more now, since the lock is so easy to use

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i also fell (bumped into a vehicle bumping into me, whatever) off my bike last month but i felt even more pissed off when passers by tried to help i just got back on and rode back

like idk why but it seems like the only reason they help out is just to justify their own niceness to themselves, oh i am helping some poor soul, i am so nice

or maybe that guy just had a condescending voice 

or, most likely, i just hate all interactions with random people and just want to get out of all such situations asap, before anyone tries to talk to me

i feel like my power to not get affected by things has really grown over the past year and a half

then again, my most common emotion these days is anger, so maybe i didnt grow up, rather down

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

speaking of, i really liked Joker (2019) starring Joaquin Phoenix, true representation of the society we all live in, 5/5. i guess it was kinda cathartic.

pokari

pokari

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 69 posts

oh man, i actually figured out last month that my seat wasn't high enough (when i raised it in #38)

and then i raised it higher and now its kinda difficult to get on, but riding is easy

The thing I hate when that happens isn't getting on the bike in the first place, but what happens when I have to stop and put my feet on the ground and my legs are stretching too much ~w~

but then i lost my keys for a while and just walked for a couple of weeks and now i have a new lock with new keys

i also decided to get a new code lock for my room, i feel like i will lock my room more now, since the lock is so easy to use

Locks are annoying. I was raised mostly without them (except for on the bathrooms but that was more a privacy/warning thing. Oh and my room had a lock when I was a kid but it was on the outside, so my parents could lock me in. (Don't worry, that's not as terrifying as it sounds. It's not like I couldn't get out through the window if I was sufficiently determined, and my parents knew that too.)) But, like, not for safety reasons. Accordingly, if I do have keys to something, I'll lose them all the time through a combination of my usual scatter-brained-ness, and not being used to it.

i also fell (bumped into a vehicle bumping into me, whatever) off my bike last month but i felt even more pissed off when passers by tried to help i just got back on and rode back
like idk why but it seems like the only reason they help out is just to justify their own niceness to themselves, oh i am helping some poor soul, i am so nice
or maybe that guy just had a condescending voice
or, most likely, i just hate all interactions with random people and just want to get out of all such situations asap, before anyone tries to talk to me

i feel like my power to not get affected by things has really grown over the past year and a half
then again, my most common emotion these days is anger, so maybe i didnt grow up, rather down

Sounds a lot like the side-effects of long-term too-high stress. It gets really easy to feel snappy at everyone. Those threat-detection sensors start going haywire if you leave the fight-or-flight response set to "on" for too long :/

*hugs*

I know when I was stressed for a long time (like after a good part of a year) my gut reaction to anyone engaging me in anything was something like, "RAWR! I'm busy!" even if they had the best of intentions (Except less cute than that, I guess).

Take care, okay? :/ I know I ended up with PTSD-like bits after I was too stressed for too long (like waking up in the middle of the night feeling irrationally panicky that stuff is going out of control, even if literally nothing is going on at the time), and I would not wish that sort of thing upon anyone that I care about.

Edited by pokari, 16 November 2019 - 08:01 PM.

PItiful Boar

PItiful Boar

Soppy Potato

• Members
  • 198 posts

Joker is not that great of a movie. Civilization and its discontent was published when? 1930s? There's the more classic movie called Taxi Driver, where the disenchanted taxi driver (you're not the only one who hates traffic) goes and tries to assassinate a senator but fails so he goes after the gangster (I think the senator probably deserves to be shot more than the gangster, but whatever) 

But intense competition and making you work hard to get what you want is known to psychologically reduce your empathy, especially for others.... I mean, it's kinda hard to squeeze out a living amongst the hundreds and thousands of restless souls in this world, especially when the world changes so quickly and rapidly (and not in the good friendly way, but gradual human obsolence).