Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Count to 100 before the Staff and Company post

• Please log in to reply
33863 replies to this topic

penrosecat

penrosecat

Playa Potato

• Members
  • 3 posts

this is why you shouldnt tell kids that they can be anything they want to be

they can extend the implication that they should be whatever they want to be

in most cases you can only be one amongst a set of academically acquirable professions based on merit and hard work, parents who promote the 'talent' stuff are sending their kids down an uncertain path, just look at that jap idol who had to go into AV

besides academic hard work is wayy less in general because you are literally taught how to do everything from bottom up, so if you keep working hard at every step you have security for life, there are no steps to talent and these people have short shelf lives anyway, with little to forgettable levels of fame which was probably the part which pushed the decision in the first place, so basically a life destined for mediocrity

in fact even otherwise rarely do you meet even students who are working to their full, 100% potential, and even then the world goes around

i think if working hard was enforced at the primary school level we would have hard working people. But that would mean only boring people and nobody with room for anything different

PItiful Boar

PItiful Boar

Soppy Potato

• Members
  • 198 posts
IMO it’s less what you do and more what environment you’re in
Do people accept your work, does your boss cover for you, etc

penrosecat

penrosecat

Playa Potato

• Members
  • 3 posts

truth is i have never imagined any work in which i have people around me, and my ideal of work is just me in a closed room with my laptop

although it is slowly becoming clear to me that there is no way to avoid teamwork, but this kind of thinking is probably why i thought the entire scenario out like that (and perhaps also many other things i think of in general)

pokari

pokari

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 69 posts

this is why you shouldnt tell kids that they can be anything they want to be
they can extend the implication that they should be whatever they want to be
in most cases you can only be one amongst a set of academically acquirable professions based on merit and hard work, parents who promote the 'talent' stuff are sending their kids down an uncertain path, just look at that jap idol who had to go into AV

There was an actor on the radio at some point who said something like, "If you think you want to be an actor, first ask yourself, 'Is there anything else I can see myself doing,' because if there is you should do that instead, it will probably go better.'

That sounded like much more real advice than the usual "follow your dreams" advice from people who have ultimately succeeded, and don't realize that a lot of it was dumb luck in genes, environment, and random opportunities (bonus points for "and if you truly believe in yourself everything will be okay!!" drivel, that always makes me really mad, almost the same sort of mad as when people encourage others to stay in abusive relationships).

If I ever have children, I may discourage them from chasing risky dreams if only on the theory that, if they can't survive parental disapproval, there's no way they're going to get through the rest of it.

It's only the parents that are like, "you didn't become a lawyer so we're never speaking again," that I feel are definitely taking the dream-crushing too far.

PItiful Boar

PItiful Boar

Soppy Potato

• Members
  • 198 posts

i think work only accounts for maybe 10% of happiness - 40% is environment, 50% is genetics

if you're really hard core you can pursue meaning instead of happiness - but it's not an easy path

Edited by Feishy Pit Boar, 29 May 2019 - 08:12 PM.

pokari

pokari

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 69 posts

I think it's interesting that you've categorised everything that isn't work or genetics—e.g. relationships—under "environment," as if there is work and there is you and then there is everything else as a sort of background blur.

I'd have put genetics at more like the 35-40% range at most, personally, but the problem with these numbers as percentages is that it's actually a per-person thing based on what has gone spectacularly right or wrong in one's own life in particular.

Edited by pokari, 29 May 2019 - 09:27 PM.

PItiful Boar

PItiful Boar

Soppy Potato

• Members
  • 198 posts

73 by environment I mean your company, your coworkers, etc... do they backstab you? is the company cut-throat competitive? 

pokari

pokari

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 69 posts

Hmm... So you're talking specifically workplace happiness only, then?

PItiful Boar

PItiful Boar

Soppy Potato

• Members
  • 198 posts

75 yes to answer pen pen's original inquiry whether he can be a one-man army

there are places like amazon /facebook that will pay you a lot and make you work a lot - enough to make you lose sleep and get demoralized. I don't think i can stand that.

tbh i think anyone would want to work on something that improves the world, beyond daily short-term narrow focused self-interests (ie putting bread on the table for the kids)

like gates quiting microsoft and spending money in africa to cure malaria or other diseases- he's probably having a great time doing that

Edited by Feishy Pit Boar, 31 May 2019 - 08:54 PM.

PItiful Boar

PItiful Boar

Soppy Potato

• Members
  • 198 posts
76 yawn

pokari

pokari

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 69 posts

I don't actually have much impulse to make the world a better place. Well—not through my work, anyway. Finding something interesting to do is more of a pull for me.

Dunno what that says about me. I don't think I'm heartless... :/

PItiful Boar

PItiful Boar

Soppy Potato

• Members
  • 198 posts

78 you can turn yourself into a deadly virus and help alleviate the impact of carbon footprint of homo sapiens

in other news i attended an adopt/foster bird rescue class today, about 2~3 hours long. Learned that spend about 30K a month on vet fees! I can't believe this... Also vet fees so expensive.... Was originally thinking of adopting but then the vet fees ... so I'm having second thoughts

pokari

pokari

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 69 posts

Wait, really 30K? A new car every month? Yikes!

Well, that's definitely a rich person's hobby, then...? Though I'm sure there are more than a couple of people in this valley with that kind of money and inclination. o_o;;

penrosecat

penrosecat

Playa Potato

• Members
  • 3 posts

thats why pets suck

I don't actually have much impulse to make the world a better place. Well—not through my work, anyway. Finding something interesting to do is more of a pull for me.

Dunno what that says about me. I don't think I'm heartless... :/

one can vaguely guess what they want from life if they think in terms of beyond their life. if you want to be remembered as a 'great man', then you have the 'world-changing' impulse, if you are afraid of living an unfulfilled life you will have a 'my work should be something i love' impulse, other impulses include 'family first' (sacrifice everything for your family), 'generic fame' - should be popular when alive, this kind of person prefers enjoying fame during the duration of their lifetime, afterwards doesnt matter, 'absolute winner' - addicted only to winning and nothing else, since only #1 is remembered, or some such internal hypothesis

since none of these are actually achieved by a significant number of people, having any of these tendencies doesnt make you 'ambitious', 'heartless', 'good' or 'bad' in any way. just shows what you want from life and it can also vary throughout your life, since it depends on experiences

pokari

pokari

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 69 posts

*hugs* >~<

PItiful Boar

PItiful Boar

Soppy Potato

• Members
  • 198 posts

82 if somebody has change-the-world impulses, then should someone else have world-change-me impulse?

otherwise everyone will just make everyone else unhappeh

Edited by Feishy Pit Boar, 05 June 2019 - 05:49 PM.

penrosecat

penrosecat

Playa Potato

• Members
  • 3 posts

nooo

the pressure you take upon yourself in that mood is unlikely to last for more than a year before you break down, most often this just takes over when taking big career decisons, and in any case this kind of mood represents a particularly deep kind of ignorance (like something you think is 'big' doesnt really matter in the long run regardless of your aims of greatness/mediocrity) (or highly unlikely, deep genius)

and i dont think anyone has enough time to be in a world change me mood

certainly, people can make each other unhappy

there is no equilibrium for feelings after all, too much negativity isnt not allowed, just that everyone all being negative at the same time is kind of like expecting earth to move out of its orbit cause every person in china sneezed at once, it just wont happen

---

i think ive talked about this before, but why do tv people never drink water

pokari

pokari

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 69 posts

i think ive talked about this before, but why do tv people never drink water

The same reason most video games forget to put bathrooms in buildings, I should assume.

What narrative purpose does drinking water serve? But more usually it should just be forgetfulness towards non-social activities that everyone does (like, say, tooth-brushing too?); it's something so commonplace and full of monotony that you don't even think about it.

penrosecat

penrosecat

Playa Potato

• Members
  • 3 posts

no, wouldnt it be natural if after 7 days of questing you feel kind of thirsty

penrosecat

penrosecat

Playa Potato

• Members
  • 3 posts

also if the only food you eat to boost stats is bacon