Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

The Friendly Winter Discussion

• Please log in to reply
298 replies to this topic

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts
  • Locationunderground like a wild potato
I already like this story a lot. Slice of Life Drama/Romance with unique characters and an unusual story line, it created a lot of interest for me from the first chapter on. This story has a lot of what I like in this genre, characters that make you care about them and what's going to happen in their lives next.

Thanks for bringing this to us Supreme Cream Scanlations, hopefully everybody can discuss away here.

Tn7HA0h.png

hero

hero

Baked Potato

• Contributor
  • 1,381 posts
I am also really liking this series.
so in chapter 12 we learn that she isnĀ“t his real mom.

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts

I am also really liking this series.
so in chapter 12 we learn that she isnĀ“t his real mom.

True, definitely not his biological mother, still, there's some relation. On one hand her co-worker says he's no relation at all, but on the other hand she accuses her own father of not accepting Min-Seong as his grandson. Soooo, I'm not entirely sure. Maybe the co-worker is just wrong and Min-Seong is actually her nephew that she's adopted from an older sibling who abandoned him at their father's insistence.

I think there's still a lot more behind both Min-Seong's situation and the family situation of Da-Jeong and her mother.

Edited by svines85, 27 August 2012 - 04:51 AM.

Tn7HA0h.png

hero

hero

Baked Potato

• Contributor
  • 1,381 posts

True, definitely not his biological mother, still, there's some relation. On one hand her co-worker says he's no relation at all, but on the other hand she accuses her own father of not accepting Min-Seong as his grandson. Soooo, I'm not entirely sure. Maybe the co-worker is just wrong and Min-Seong is actually her nephew that she's adopted from an older sibling who abandoned him at their father's insistence.

it could be that her sister abandoned Min-Seong and his dad died and thats why she is taking care of him.

Passerby

Passerby

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 44 posts
Or she had married a guy with a little son and the husband died not long after, leaving her with a stepson...

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts

it could be that her sister abandoned Min-Seong and his dad died and thats why she is taking care of him.

Or she had married a guy with a little son and the husband died not long after, leaving her with a stepson...

You're right, Min-Seong's mom did say she was "a widow with a child". Still, her reaction to her own father and her saying Min-Seong feared being "abandoned again".....I don't know, maybe that "abandoment" she's referring to is that of his grandfather and the rest of their extended family. Could be.....I really don't know for sure, there seems to be a number of ways it could still be. A very good story so far.

Tn7HA0h.png

Comadrin

Comadrin

Fried Potato

• Members
  • 799 posts
  • LocationManetheren, but more realistically Southern California

A really good story so far, indeed. It rings quite true, as I remember in Dr Frost manhwa, when he was working the case of the girl with panic disorder, he mentioned that in Korean Society, any mental illness carries a very heavy stigma. I have also noticed it in the United States, as well. The mental hospitals in the state of California used to be quite easy to get children into, without the families paying. This lead to many parents of disabled children from all economic classes abandoning their children there. A college friend of mine used to work in the field of Thanatology, counseling people with terminal diseases and their families. At UCLA Medical Center, she was horrified by the number of children in the terminal ward whose families never visited, claiming that seeing their child was "too painful." There are a lot of people in this world who must live within their perceived comfort zone, and for them it is easier to abandon a child, spouse, sibling, or invalid parent and then carry on as though nothing happened than it is for them to take any sort of responsibility they find disturbing. It always seems to be the disabled, invalid, or the person who, for their age or any other reason cannot care for him/herself, ends up paying for this. Neither Ja-Deong nor Min-Seong have their disabilities by choice. Anyone who abandons someone like that over what others will perceive or just because it's inconvenient, has no right to be a parent or ever take any moral high ground whatever. If the child is uncontrollable, violent, or predatory, it is a very different matter, but that is not the case here. I remember someone once being asked in an interview what he thought his best quality was (pretty stupid question, IMHO) and he said, "I never let down anyone who trusted me, not even a dog." I would rather try to live my life that way.

Edited by Comadrin, 26 August 2013 - 05:31 AM.

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts

A really good story so far, indeed. I rings quite true, as I remember in Dr Frost manhwa, when he was working the case of the girl with panic disorder, he mentioned that in Korean Society, any mental illness carries a very heavy stigma.

That might well be the case here in this story too. I guess we'll learn more, I really think there's more than just that going on, at least in the case of Da-Jeong and her mother. I'm not saying resentment towards her daughter and her condition wasn't the case (heck, she point blank told her young daughter exactly that) but something about that farewell conversation made me think mom was holding back too. I certainly doubt it's going to vindicate her, but well, I guess we'll see sooner or later.

But yeah, at least so far, in the case of Min-Seong, that seems like it might be a big part of the grandfather's issue.

Edited by svines85, 27 August 2012 - 04:52 AM.

Tn7HA0h.png

hero

hero

Baked Potato

• Contributor
  • 1,381 posts
oh forget what I said about her sister being the mother, in chapter 12 it is said that she and Min-Seong donĀ“t share the same blood.

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts

oh forget what I said about her sister being the mother, in chapter 12 it is said that she and Min-Seong donĀ“t share the same blood.

yeah, you're right. So I guess that leaves her being his step mother? She married the man who was Min-Seong's father and then he......I don't know, passed away? Then her own family turned their back on her?

By the way, I'm kinda wondering if this isn't going to be a mutual thing between Min-Seong's mom and Ja-Deong's mother, being step-mothers that is. It seems most likely Da-Jeong's mother is actually Minseo's step-mother, not her biological mother (unless she was an even worse person than she looks like right now). I mean, she abandoned her family 10 years ago and Minseo is like, what, 15-16?

Edited by svines85, 27 August 2012 - 04:53 AM.

Tn7HA0h.png

hero

hero

Baked Potato

• Contributor
  • 1,381 posts

By the way, I'm kinda wondering if this isn't going to be a mutual thing between Min-Seong's mom and Ja-Deong's mother, being step-mothers that is. It seems most likely Ja-Deong's mother is actually Minseo's step-mother, not her biological mother (unless she was an even a worse person than she looks like right now. I mean, she abandoned her family 10 years ago and Minseo is like, what, 15-16?

with Minseo you mean the girl that goes to school right? if yes, then that would explain why minseo said that her mother is more like her friend.

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts

with Minseo you mean the girl that goes to school right? if yes, then that would explain why minseo said that her mother is more like her friend.

Yeah, exactly, I think I got her name right. Oh, yeah, you're right. I hadn't really thought about that, they do kind of have the "friend" thing going on, don't they? I never thought about that, she just calls her mom and so did her school friends, so at first I thought she was her "real" mother. I must have blipped over her saying that they were like friends....>_<

Tn7HA0h.png

Purple Library Guy

Purple Library Guy

Fried Potato

• Donator
  • 695 posts
  • LocationCheck Rivendell, or Vorbarr Sultana, or Adrilankha. No? Try Vancouver.
My bet on Min-Seong and his mom would be a different order of events. If she'd already adopted or been the step-mom to Min-Seong when the grandfather and others turned away I don't think he'd really be traumatized by it--he seems like the kind of kid who'd be okay as long as the closest person/people to him were solid. Not sure he'd really notice a mere grandfather pissing off. No, I'd figure it must be more like, his real parent or parents plus the grandfather were dumping him, gonna put him in an institution or something, and it had gone far enough that he had a good idea that he'd been abandoned and was on his own--and she said to the relevant parts of her family roughly "You bastards, how can you do this to that sweet child just because he has a little problem" and adopted him. For her to have no blood in common, maybe something like, her sister's husband's son by a previous marriage, and then sis + hubby were dumping the kid with instigation from grandfather. A bit like Usagi Drop only more so (funny how Usagi Drop keeps coming up in discussions of this), or like that ecchi shounen one with the three sisters and all the little spinoffs.

I think svines85 has puzzled out the Ja-Deong, her mother, mother's new daughter relationship.

I am really enjoying this. I'm almost glad I waited for a while though, because it was fun getting a raft of chapters in one gulp.

hero

hero

Baked Potato

• Contributor
  • 1,381 posts
its more that he is mentally still 7 years old, and at that age you will be afraid of being abandoned.

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts
Yeah, I still wonder to a degree, both in the case of Min-Seong and Da-Jeong. Not that I'm doing more than guessing though, I just wonder if there isn't still more to be told about the backgrounds of both of their family breakups.

Edited by svines85, 27 August 2012 - 04:53 AM.

Tn7HA0h.png

Passerby

Passerby

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 44 posts
Da-jeong, not Ja-deong, guys.

I think Min-seong's stepmom's father (the one who came to see her at work) might have done something to Min-seong after Min-seong's dad died, so he could free his daughter from the burden of raising her dead husband's son. Maybe he left Min-seong at an institution, like Purple Library Guy said.

Edited by Passerby, 24 August 2012 - 03:48 AM.

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts

Da-jeong, not Ja-deong, guys..

>___<

And I always try to be sooo careful with names.......

Tn7HA0h.png

Purple Library Guy

Purple Library Guy

Fried Potato

• Donator
  • 695 posts
  • LocationCheck Rivendell, or Vorbarr Sultana, or Adrilankha. No? Try Vancouver.
Aaagh! Me too.
(all your fault svines85; I checked your post before I put in the name. See if I trust you again! :P )

Meanwhile, yes, I'm pretty sure we'll see more backstory on that. For instance, I'm wondering who that girl is that Min-Seong vaguely remembers telling him he's been abandoned and is on his own now.

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts

Aaagh! Me too.
(all your fault svines85; I checked your post before I put in the name. See if I trust you again! :P )

Meanwhile, yes, I'm pretty sure we'll see more backstory on that. For instance, I'm wondering who that girl is that Min-Seong vaguely remembers telling him he's been abandoned and is on his own now.

I don't blame you, see if I ever trust myself again, too. I did the exact same thing, referred back to the previous spellings. >_< One dyslexic moment and it just snowballed on from there.

Tn7HA0h.png

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts
So.....Da-Jeong's mom looked pretty shocked and worried, does that mean her abandonment of her child and husband is a big secret from everyone? If so I sure hope it blows up in her face and ruins her new life, sounds like karma to me.

Tn7HA0h.png