Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Anyone else wondering why Suu Minazuki only touches on the deep story that is hiding behind the comedy in this manga?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

Rachnee

Rachnee

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 92 posts
Yeah anyone got any idea...? Is it to make the manga last as long as possible or...

Pacifier

Pacifier

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 22 posts
Personally, I read this manga for the comedy, so I'd be inclined to say it the other way round.

Of course, your speculation is most likely correct since once a series is successful, who wouldn't want to ease the pace the plot (in a positive view) or milk the cash cow (in a negative view)? It's easy to exhaust your plot catering to the demands of the audience though, leaving huge gaps of filler or badly planned followups, so I'd say that he's doing himself a favor with the 'slow' progress. It's not like he's falling into the typical (or shall I say dated?) shounen trend either, with endless filler arcs, sub plots and all that jazz which just subtracts from the main story.

That was all said reading this as a plot-based manga, but as I mentioned, I see it as more comedy than anything else. Just read and laugh! =D

Squier

Squier

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 31 posts
I have to say that in this mangaka's use, it's because he's just a really good story teller. There was never a chapter that I felt was a waste and wanted the story to be hurried along, because each and every one of them are full of original or reoccurring gags that are ridiculously funny and clever.

Rachnee

Rachnee

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 92 posts
Well I agree with the comedy part...I mean this: http://vatoto.com/read/_/104565/sora-no-otoshimono_v14_ch60_by_foolrulez/9 <-- thats just pure comedic gold there

omnipwnage

omnipwnage

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 222 posts
  • LocationOregon
I definitely enjoy this series and the way the mangaka makes full use of the pacing. It reminds me a lot of the pacing for School Rumble, in which every small step in the plot and sub plots is used to maximize comedic value for the total work, and keep a high interest for when another small step does happen.

Rachnee

Rachnee

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 92 posts
Yeah it just takes to long for the plot updates to come lol...oh well.

KelpTheGreat

KelpTheGreat

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 42 posts
I've noticed a similar thing in Excel Saga. Not to get into spoilers, but there's a very deep story that is only revealed very gradually, and almost seems non-existent near the start. While it can be frustrating, it's also very good story-telling.

Jimmy Carlson

Jimmy Carlson

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 1 posts
please create next chapter as soon as posible...
i want see it...
:D

lastKANASHimi

lastKANASHimi

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 3 posts
I think it makes sense to pace it out this way, not just in the sense of money or exhaustion, but it makes sense to hav a ratio of 3:1 between the comedy and the seriousness because if you think about it; in real life, even if you r in have alot of weird shit happening to u, u will still joke around more then u stress about all those things that are happening anyway:))

dinoclops

dinoclops

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 40 posts
Tomoki is a very deep person who uses comedy to subvert the serious part. Usually he convince the girls to stay by starting out with stupidity and then showing genuine concern and affection. I think that Tomoki and Minazuki-Sensei have quite a lot in common.

MrAnarchist

MrAnarchist

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 298 posts
  • LocationFrom Ravnica to Theros, from Innistrad to Kamigawa, I'm in no single place for too long
You may think it was originally made to be a comedy, but I think otherwise. The first chapter had a lot of stuff that was more along the lines of the current plot rather than a straight through and through comedy. When I read the first chapter, I was more focused on asking questions such ad "who's the girl the main character dreams about?" or "what's the reason he dreams about her and then wakes up crying?" or "what are the origins of the angeloids?" I, personally, think the comedy is a bonus and a distraction
So Ulamog and Kozilek are dead, FOR GOOD. but Ugin made a good point: there's no telling how many eldrazi there are in the Blind Eternities and whether they will seek revenge.

It REALLY sucks when a pacifist makes you guilty for killing monsters.

10.jpg

17.jpg

19.jpg

yariel

yariel

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 232 posts

Yeah anyone got any idea...? Is it to make the manga last as long as possible or...

ch 69-71 have the answer ...

IMO ...

the deep story mixed with comedy is to make the tragedy get heavier since we all will love all character and feels sad when they get killed ... (exception for Synapse bastard boss, I presume)

Edited by yariel, 13 May 2013 - 03:17 PM.

Trevor Smith

Trevor Smith

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 18 posts

I have to agree with yariel on this manga's use of a combination of comedy and tragedy.  The mangaka uses the comedy to keep the story from being extremely depressing, because if you look at the plot points without the comedy, this manga is abolutely soul crushingly sad.  Like the previous manga (it's name escapes me), the mangaka uses comedy and occasional ridiculous action scenes to help keep the story fresh, and complete, without leaving a feeling of dread.  IMHO at least.

yariel

yariel

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 232 posts

I have to agree with yariel on this manga's use of a combination of comedy and tragedy.  The mangaka uses the comedy to keep the story from being extremely depressing, because if you look at the plot points without the comedy, this manga is abolutely soul crushingly sad.  Like the previous manga (it's name escapes me), the mangaka uses comedy and occasional ridiculous action scenes to help keep the story fresh, and complete, without leaving a feeling of dread.  IMHO at least.

makes the feeling of reader high, because exciting ecchi and and comedy ...

after that plunge into seriousness and tragedy ...

high-high at the sky and smack down to the bottom, kinda cruel in it's own way ...

that's why the name of this manga is Sora no Otoshimono ...

the one which fall (thrown away/ falling / thrown / fallen / etc) from the sky ...

not only character ... but reader emotion also suit that title very much ...

gimeyop

gimeyop

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 3 posts

because he made a manga with FULL ON PLOT + DRAMA + ROMANCE already and it wasn't that well known
you can look up:

Watashi no Messiah-sama

imo it was a really good manga like 10/10

but some people don't appreciate those types so he made sora and now it has 1/2 and 1/2 which is still really good

yariel

yariel

Russet Potato

• Members
  • 232 posts

actually the comedy is too much to the point it goes into "alternate world" compared the serious one ... =3= ...

mikexcelsior

mikexcelsior

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 3 posts

His entire storytelling style encourages deep bonds with each character... whether negative or positive...so that the "serious" episodes are more meaningful. This manga has made/ruined my day a few times >__> ... and that's what good storytelling does. 

"What a Fool. Throwing a hare into a Lion's den" - Sugata Eishiro

sigpic608332_2.jpg