Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Photo

Zhena's Influence

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

DarkCharisma

DarkCharisma

Potato Sprout

• Members
  • 3 posts
Big webtoon/manga enthusiast here and I more or less keep up with author Hun's mangas. I like some more than others and though I am not a huge fan of all of the releases, I consider all of Hun's works to be quality comics that deserve serious looks at.
But I've been putting off "Girl the Wild's" for awhile now base on the premise that it sounded just like any other horrible shoujo harem cluster fuck on summary. I read it today. IT WAS GOOD. REALLY GOOD. SO good in fact that despite my respect to Hun's usual line of mangas, I couldn't bring myself to believe that she/he wrote this. It was just so inconsistently better than Hun's usual series. Anyway, I noticed Zhena as the artist. What do you guys think might the reasons why "Girl's the Wild" is so good/better? Do you guys think Zhena was a big influence on the story as well as drawing and deserves equal if not more recognition as a co author? Or Does this actually have nothing to do with the whether either parties outaccomplished and "Girls the Wild" is just the result when style of story and art is paired perfectly to potray.

Edited by Bowen Chan, 24 July 2012 - 11:44 PM.

Purple Library Guy

Purple Library Guy

Fried Potato

• Donator
  • 695 posts
  • LocationCheck Rivendell, or Vorbarr Sultana, or Adrilankha. No? Try Vancouver.
Hmmm, interesting question. I haven't read much of Hun's other stuff myself, but looking at a few titles it seems as if Hun's usual tone is somewhat different from this. I am kind of a fan of Zhena's art and I do think Zhena has had some impact on the feel of other webtoons s/he was involved in. If you look at the liveliness of the art, I think it would shape the emotions of the story; even if there wasn't direct input to the plot I feel like an author would start to feel differently about the work, like their ideas about the characters would be shaped some by how they were portrayed in the art.
At the same time, maybe Hun wanted to do a happier, maybe gentler story than usual and sought out Zhena because of the happy, gentle stories Zhena has drawn, like Nineteen, Twenty One and Pet Diary, thinking that Zhena's art style would work well with the ideas Hun had in mind for this one.

Edited by Purple Library Guy, 24 July 2012 - 08:37 PM.

cryberry

cryberry

Fingerling Potato

• Members
  • 85 posts
  • Locationout and about
I really liked Pet Diary when I read it before. I was also putting off reading Girl the Wild's since I also had the same thinking. But now, I find myself on the edge as I wait for the next chapter (51) for the start of the fight.

I think, for me, Zhena's art did have an influence in Hun's story making process. I am a writer myself who have only average skills in art but it does help if you can clearly see how the story and the characters would be presented. For me, it helps in visualizing how the scene will go or will be presented because of the art.

A story written for plain reading and a story written for a graphic novel/comic would be written and presented differently (from my POV).

So I guess it was really great that they were able to come together as a perfect pair for Girl the Wild's. ^_^

Serafita

Serafita

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 10 posts
I'm vaguely reminded of Kenichi: History's Strongest Disciple, only, if all the masters were female and his age. XD It's quite obvious that despite the protagonist's martial arts style being N/A, he's probably going to develop a hybrid of boxing, taekwondo, wushu, and whatever Queen uses. :D

It's a pretty good read, I'm not normally into Korean manhwa, much less webtoons for that matter (the only one I pretty much follow is Witch Hunter), so it was a pleasant surprise to find this. :D

Purple Library Guy

Purple Library Guy

Fried Potato

• Donator
  • 695 posts
  • LocationCheck Rivendell, or Vorbarr Sultana, or Adrilankha. No? Try Vancouver.
I've ranted a few times before about this, but I've really found manhwa and Korean webtoons on average to have quite different feel from each other. The webtoons that get translated are very often very much to my taste.

Joker

Joker

Potato Spud

• Members
  • 44 posts
  • LocationFreezed in a capsule waiting for the creation of VRMMORPGs
Since I haven't read her previous works I think it might just be the case of the right art for the right story

@Serafita I advise you to give webtoons a try, since most I of them are very good

"You must prove more patient than a caterpillar, more willing to survive than a cockroach, and more stubborn than a leech - or you will definitely fail" - Counselor Rodriguez, the Star of Wisdom -

svines85

svines85

Sweet Potato

• Contributor
  • 14,063 posts
  • Locationunderground like a wild potato

I've ranted a few times before about this, but I've really found manhwa and Korean webtoons on average to have quite different feel from each other. The webtoons that get translated are very often very much to my taste.

Totally agreed on this point, the korean webtoons as compared to traditional manhwa are, at least in my experience with both, about as dissimilar as they can be.

There's not a lot of Hun's solo work to look at, Banquet Box at 20 chapters scanlated to english is the biggest group of work, and From Hell with much less are the only ones I know of. I've read them both and, yeah, they're quite different from the joint projects with Zhena.

It's not uncommon for the synopsis of mangas and webtoons to fail to do them justice, it's a good thing you finally tried GOTW, it's really a very good story with way more going on in it than fighting. A great story and art as well.

Tn7HA0h.png

Buttock Follicle

Buttock Follicle

Couch Potato

• Contributor
  • 2,433 posts
  • Locationfuttocking away~
I've never wondered how Zhena influences GotW (obviously artist has suggestions on plot lines, unless the author is a dick). but I've always wondered about JaeHo. S/he's been listed there for a while, I wonder what s/he actually does xD

fishiiie

fishiiie

Potato Spud

• Contributor
  • 38 posts
  • LocationWhere there is cake

I've never wondered how Zhena influences GotW (obviously artist has suggestions on plot lines, unless the author is a dick). but I've always wondered about JaeHo. S/he's been listed there for a while, I wonder what s/he actually does xD

Same here.. They get credits in the beginning, so they should have a big role in the production, right?